rugbyunion
Latest News:

Possible prem squad from last years players
jimbo800 (IP Logged)
17 November, 2018 15:18
Tommy Bell - Did a great job for us when we were in the championship last time out, won us a few games just with the boot. He's a fairly consistent player but I don't feel he has enough in his locker to improve us over the next couple of years. I wouldn't look to extend his contract given the emergence of Parton. Out of contract
Tonks - I don't feel hes shown anywhere near the level of consistency that's needs at this level, not sure how he managed to get a contract extension. Cant make any position his own. Wouldn't extend his deal. Out of Contract
Theo - Fan of his but not at 10, I think he makes for a much better 12. His boot is terrible, simple as that. Keeper, but his run of head injuries may end up being a problem. In Contract
Lovejoy - Don't know much about him, never flirted with the first team squads. He was a Kenedy selection, maybe he has the skills for the future, really don't know. Id keep, doubt hes costing an awful lot. Out of Contract
Coman - Phenomenal player when he was fit but unfortunately he's spent far too long on the physios table. Without the injuries, id have extended the contract without a second thought but given the type of injury, I would release him. He made a great twosome with Cowan. Out of Contract
Cowan - Been our best player for the past five years. Always puts his all in, could have done with two of him. Id sign him up again. Out of contract
Seb De Chaves - Strangely isnt getting as much game time as i would like, i think hes a good operator. Would keep him, at a decent age and has plenty expereince. In contract
Harry Elrington - Seems to have everything needed to succeed in the front row. Would probably have suitors if he looked around. In contract
Saia Fainga - Only seeing his best this season, depending on the cost, id have him for another year. Out of contract
Tom Fowlie - Needs a full year of playing under his belt. I think hes got the skill set, but needs game time to fulill it. If he doesnt get a run of games, wouldnt surprise me if he was released when his next deal runs out. In contract
Gilsenan - strange one given how long hes been here but hasnt got the game time to match. Hes in a position where we have too many players if im honest. Another one who needs more game time or he could end up getting released, personally i'd let his go. In contract
Hearn - i dont think hes a good enough player for prem rugby.would rather use fowlie or macken at 13. Out of contract
Danny H-A - Keeper for me, hope he can stay injury free for a while. props need as much game time as possible to gain the scrum experience. In contract
Hoskins - relatively untested at prem level would keep him to see how he gets on. In Contract
Mckibbin - Has been a good servant but i think hes taking up game time better used by Brand this year. Out of contract
Luke Mclean - Doesnt add anyting for me, wouldnt be in 22 if all players were fit. not a prem quality player, needs more to his game. Ot of contract
Mcnally - Keep, forever. We'll lose him if we were to get relegated again.
Meehan - Needs some fine tuning and better game control but should have had far more game time by now. my starting 9 out of the ones we have. Out of contract

Mulchrone - mr reliable, keep. Out of contract

Nalaga - what can i say. Probably spent big, nothing in return after the injury. Out of contract

Northcote Green - Needs more game time to prove himself. Suffering from the over population at flanker. Id keep. In contract
Ojo - Mr LOndon Irish. has enjoyed a resurgence but i imagine this is last year. Well earned rest. Out of contract
Paulo - Great this year but not mobile enough for the prem.Out of contract
Porecki - Decent squad player, wont set the wordl alight. Keep. In contract
Saulo - Goodbye
Reid - Keep if we can. Out of contract
Schatz - Not impressed with him, minimal impact since arriving. Out of contract
Steele - He has plenty fans at the club, im not one of them. Hasn't kicked on, has bad habits that don't seem to improving, id let him go. In contract
Trev - Beast of a man, think weve had the best of him. CAnt keep expecting him to run through walls. Squad player for me, not a starter. Need a bigger figure at 8. Out of contract
Franco - did a decent job last year but we need a younger version of him now. Out of contract

This is purely based on rugby and whats needed for the prem if we went up.
Contract part is mostly guess work not a suggestion.

Please offer up opinions and correct me where im wrong regarding the contract lengths

Re: Possible prem squad from last years players
Steelman (IP Logged)
17 November, 2018 16:12
You swing a mean hatchet Jimbo,that should free up a million or so. But Scottie should stay,he's a winter player and he tackles any thing that moves. Meehan And Kibby just skip about like Bambi on warm days. Start handing out the p45s.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
17 November, 2018 16:16
It seems ruthless but I feel we’ve handed out extensions too quickly in the past. Too many players that have little chance of making any inroads into any prem team.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
17 November, 2018 16:31
If we want to survive next year then there's a good 10-15 players we need to release. Think we need to be smarter in our recruitment too and try to utilise more players from the championship. Some of our best performers over the last few years have been from the championship (Lewington, mcnally, mulchrone etc)

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
17 November, 2018 17:06
Agreed smudge but lewi was from Tigers. We haven’t focused on the pivotal areas in the past few years. We need a very good winger, a unit at 8. Ideally an international quality second row and a hooker. Although with no decent backs coach, there’s little point in getting good backs.

HMRH (IP Logged)
19 November, 2018 11:41
Limited available talent pool
And limited funds available for us to compete - no top flight European rugby and no guarantee of premiership until later in 2019

Going to be tough to recruit

Bristol only managed to do so with buge amounts of money hoping that a few really good players would be enough - they’re just about doing so but we don’t have that budget

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net