rugbyunion
Latest News:

Bryce Campbell
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
17 November, 2018 16:37
Scored twice for the USA against Romania.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Re: Bryce Campbell
Smudge21 (IP Logged)
17 November, 2018 17:02
Well done to him. A great shame we haven't seen him in his preferred position of 13 so far this year but I suspect injuries have dictated that.

smithy75 (IP Logged)
17 November, 2018 20:17
Paulo also got a try

Finno (IP Logged)
18 November, 2018 23:01
These are the people we should be congratulating after scoring international tries, not the likes of Big Joe, who basically dropped us like a stone!

Remember, he was the one who pledged his future to LI signing a four year deal, only to have his head turned by Bath money, within a few months! He was supposed to have signed a year long loan deal with Bath, to 'project' his England ambitions which it would have done, but in my opinion greed got in the way and we were ditched.....so much for pledging his future to the club that made him!

Sorry guys, I have a big problem with him being wished well, despite the probable 'head turning' role his agent played!!!

Narbia (IP Logged)
18 November, 2018 23:59
Quote:
Finno
These are the people we should be congratulating after scoring international tries, not the likes of Big Joe, who basically dropped us like a stone!
Remember, he was the one who pledged his future to LI signing a four year deal, only to have his head turned by Bath money, within a few months! He was supposed to have signed a year long loan deal with Bath, to 'project' his England ambitions which it would have done, but in my opinion greed got in the way and we were ditched.....so much for pledging his future to the club that made him!

Sorry guys, I have a big problem with him being wished well, despite the probable 'head turning' role his agent played!!!

This. Totally agree. thumbs down

I'm not a robot : reCAPTCHA

orsoncart (IP Logged)
19 November, 2018 06:04
I thought he was outplayed by Lewi in the relegation season, it wasn't even close

Bazzo (IP Logged)
19 November, 2018 11:22
Quote:
Finno

Think that is way too harsh Finno, Joe would not have been playing for England last weekend if he had stayed with us. It is his performances in the Premiership that have earned him a place in the squad, he is playing with a better squad in Bath that give him more opportunities as a winger. He probably is getting more money as well, but no one knows if he was able to go on loan for a year and even if it was possible, why would he do that? I do not know of any relegated team loaning better players out. I admire Joe because he did sign a four year deal with us, (which is showing loyalty by signing a long term deal), we sadly could not stay in the Premiership which enabled him to leave, but if we had stayed up he would still be with us. He did not drop us like a stone, we as a club dropped like a stone.

Florida (IP Logged)
19 November, 2018 11:44
I don't think it's harsh at all. Irish invested a lot of time and money to get him where he is, non of that was repaid. A long term deal is meaningless when you make sure you've a get out clause. Same goes for Williams and Basham when he finally surfaces (most likely at Newcastle in the new year).

Steelman (IP Logged)
19 November, 2018 12:32
[quote Florida]I don't think it's harsh at all. Irish invested a lot of time and money to get him where he is, non of that was repaid. A long term deal is meaningless when you make sure you've a get out clause. Same goes for Williams and Basham when he finally surfaces (most likely at Newcastle in the new year).[/quote

I think what really grates is the lack of pay back to the club in terms of a couple of seasons minimum of first team playing time .Its a bit like terminating your relationship with your parents once they've raised you. If there was a mandatory transfer system in place,maybe it would soften the blow a little

Shawshank (IP Logged)
19 November, 2018 12:45
Perhaps there should be a system whereby the RFU pays a sum over to the club's academy that brought up the player if the player is selected to play for England say before the age of 23.

Cant really blame the bloke for wanting to play in the Premiership though.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
19 November, 2018 12:59
Firstly congrats to Bryce for getting on the scoresheet (and Paulo). First effort especially was well taken

[www.youtube.com]

On Joe, he signed a long term contract with a release clause and I'd personally argue that he showed more loyalty than the last bunch to leave). Whilst I'm disappointing to lose him, I can understand it. He's got a pretty good chance of going to the RWC in Japan next year and would have had no chance if he'd stayed. It's a short career and he might not get another shot at that. Another club was never going to go for the loan idea, which was probably wishful thinking. Life's too short to bear every player that leaves to further their potential ill will imo.

We need to try make sure that the next youngster to make it to that level doesn't feel they have to leave to play international rugby, which could even end up being his brother. That means getting back to the AP and staying there. Certainly easier said than done, but it's the situation we find ourselves in.

Do agree that it would be nice for there to be some kind of meaningful development fee for a player moving under a certain age

19 November, 2018 13:01
Quote:
Florida
I don't think it's harsh at all. Irish invested a lot of time and money to get him where he is, non of that was repaid. A long term deal is meaningless when you make sure you've a get out clause. Same goes for Williams and Basham when he finally surfaces (most likely at Newcastle in the new year).

Wouldn't class Basham in the same category. He didn't sign a contract and is playing BUCS rugby for Durham. He may end up playing for Newcastle or someone else, but he genuinely seems to have put rugby on the back burner to prioritise his studies at the moment.

Florida (IP Logged)
19 November, 2018 13:04
There is compensation for academy players, but we'd given Joe a senior contract so he wasn't in the academy and thus could be freely poached. The problem with the academy compensation is it is only payable if a player moves to the new club before 31 Dec. Move after that and there's nothing to pay, this is why you'll likely see Basham's new club announced some time in the new year.

19 November, 2018 13:18
Quote:
Florida
There is compensation for academy players, but we'd given Joe a senior contract so he wasn't in the academy and thus could be freely poached. The problem with the academy compensation is it is only payable if a player moves to the new club before 31 Dec. Move after that and there's nothing to pay, this is why you'll likely see Basham's new club announced some time in the new year.

Yep, that's why age would perhaps be a better criteria.

Was under the impression that the fees for academy players moving were pretty small anyway (may be wrong there), so would be disappointed if Basham did appear somewhere in Jan/Feb

Florida (IP Logged)
19 November, 2018 14:51
Fees are dependent on wages, plus level etc, if they are part of the England set up and on 8k per year then it's 10k per year to be paid. I assume given Josh was in the England setup since the U16s it would be upwards of £30k compensation. Might seem insignificant, but with clubs losing money left right and center it's probably a large amount for both parties

Perhaps Josh is really just focusing on his studies and I'm doing him a disservice. I just find it odd a lad that was involved in England age grade rugby, at a club with an excellent academy and getting game time would put it all away for a few years.

Finno (IP Logged)
19 November, 2018 15:53
What will Williams do if Falcons get relegated ?? Jump ship again???

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
19 November, 2018 16:03
Williams has been good so far from the write ups Iíve seen. Heíd probably end up at Bath who were after him originally. I doubt thereís a clause in his contract as he probably didnít think theyíd need one. Still a long way to go but Bristol looked solid against chiefs and wuss donít have the distraction of Heineken cup rugby. As we know all to well, bottom is a bad place to be after Christmas, the teams above them will be scrambling for as many points as possible to try and get some breathing space.

Florida (IP Logged)
19 November, 2018 17:47
Hopefully falcons can pick up a few points and drag the likes of Bath and Tiggers into a relegation scrap. The RFU might be forced to change their thinking if one of those looked to go down with all their England players.

I should point out I've nothing against Tiggers, just want the RFU to open their eyes to the mess they've made.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
19 November, 2018 18:23
Quote:
Florida
Hopefully falcons can pick up a few points and drag the likes of Bath and Tiggers into a relegation scrap. The RFU might be forced to change their thinking if one of those looked to go down with all their England players.
I should point out I've nothing against Tiggers, just want the RFU to open their eyes to the mess they've made.

Itís a mess but itís borderline too late to do anything about it. Itís essentially a franchise system given the amount of private ownership and funding. The best the prem can do to benefit English rugby is extend the number of teams in the league to allow more game time for fringe players who would otherwise spend most of their time playing A League. Do away with the other cup competition. Just a Euro comp and the league. No extra games, just games that people actually care about.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net