rugbyunion
Latest News:

Andy Farrell
Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 15:08
Well what about that it seems that Andy is to be the next Head Coach for Ireland when Joe RETIRES after the World cup.

Re: Andy Farrell
Cill Dara (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 16:59
I'm not a happy bunny about that, but thanks a million Joe!

Prisco stripe Hibernico

bigbitty (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 17:24
Would Lancaster be joining Farrell? The irony of that situation would be something to behold.

Clontarf (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 09:35
Talk about a poisoned chalice.

If, and as an Irishman it's always a big if, we do well at the world cup, and Best, Sexton, Kearney, Toner, Sean O'Brien - all in their 30s - retire, and we tank the following season the knives will be unsheathed pretty quickly.

Our last English coach didn't last very long.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 10:06
Seems to be an Andy Robinson situation. Brilliant Coach but lacks top level management experience. Best of luck to him though if he does well England will be kicking themselves.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 10:20
Quote:
Clontarf
Talk about a poisoned chalice.
If, and as an Irishman it's always a big if, we do well at the world cup, and Best, Sexton, Kearney, Toner, Sean O'Brien - all in their 30s - retire, and we tank the following season the knives will be unsheathed pretty quickly.

Our last English coach didn't last very long.

I take your point but that is the case for most countries post World Cup, thereís always retirements from the main squad. Some of those mentioned arenít even in a position to start. O Brien is third in line to his postion, not even the best for Leinster anymore, injuries have taken their toll. There are plenty waiting to take over from Toner, in my opinion are already more effective than him. Kearney had a resurgence so his replacement hasnít had as much game time as Iíd have expected by now. Best will be missed, reliable with his darts. We had he same problem with Roman retiring, sexton is a cetirfied world class player but they have a couple of guys who are getting a lot of provinicial experience.
Lessons were learnt after the exposure suffered against Argentina at the last World Cup, a plan was put in place to ensure we didnít suffer the same issues this time around. I imagine Joe had a big input into picking Farrell, I doubt Ireland would be foolish enough to make hasty decisions after the World Cup. All the six nations teams have a lot to be excited about after the World Cup, except Italy, I just canít see how theyíll make the strides needed to meet the standard

PV (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 11:08
I havenít heard a bad word said about Andy Farrell and I reckon heíll be a top class head for the team. Whilst people age, he is part of the team that have created the depth that Ireland have never had before. Schmidt has deliberately worked on this and a legacy, not so sure about Fast Eddie - it is possible to both compete for the RWC and create a legacy...

Griff (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 11:16
I've no opinion on it - not really my team - but Rob Carney was on the Egg Chasers podcast this week and they asked him about it. He was incredibly complimentary about Andy and pretty-much had him as the top of the list for Schmidt's replacement. He's just got to hope that the IRFU and Ireland supporters give him enough time to regroup post RWC (as described above).

ExiledVillain (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 13:46
Interesting comments today from Sam Burgess, regarding the reasons for England's early departure from the 2015 World Cup...

[www.irishtimes.com]

Initially I thought that he may have been implying that Farrell was one of the "individual egos", but from other comments here, that doesn't appear to be true (and I hope for your sakes it wasn't). There is certainly some regret expressed by Woodward and others, that it was a big mistake for England to let him go, so this may well be a shrewd move for Ireland.

As an English London Irishman, I also hope that Farrell junior wasn't one of the egos either - though I'd never doubt his commitment!

Bazzo (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 14:15
Could see a lot of "no arms in the tackle" being coached?

echidna (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 15:14
Hmmm ..... Sam Burgess blames individual egos and selfish players.

Pot? Kettle?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net