rugbyunion
Latest News:

Premiership agrees deal with CVC
John H (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 14:26

Re: Premiership agrees deal with CVC
shimmieandshake (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 17:33
Any word on what this means for us? I remember before the deal was turned down last time it was generally implied the deal meant doom, or something very close to it, for our professional status...

HMRH (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 21:47
Not at all - LI as shareholders will benefit from a windfall of £x million. The issue of course is what CVC want for their money

As per my earlier thread we need to spend on players but will this have to go on debt? In theory it means we can match others and spend to salary cap but maybe it just creates wage inflation a la France

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 21:57
It allows us to spend more but once that money is gone, weíll have to find more to cover the contracts we have. I assume itís a one off payment.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 00:18
With, I would of thought two of the wealthiest clubs Bath and Bristol, positioned 8th and 11th in the table at the noment, (one of them spending more than the salary cap, allegedly) we will have to spend and develop wisely than to just go out there with the blank checks. Less Sa and more Arlo to put it in rugby terms

Alphacat (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 05:48
As much as I think it's competitively a bad idea, a franchised/ringfenced league does seem to be looking more and more of a financially sensible idea.

Then again I'm not an economist, just comparing the situation of Premiership Rugby with other sports that have a limited amount of money and top teams that have gone through similar transformations and reaped the benefits of it.

HMRH (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 05:49
Yes all clubs will get the same but my understanding was that we donít spend to the cap as we canít afford to.

Money doesnít guarantee anything look at Bristol - my hope is that they go down to prove the point or because I bear them any ill.

We need investment so this is good as it gets in windfall terms I imagine although for what weíll have to see.

Ring fence now!

Bazzo (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 08:17
Quote:
HMRH
Yes all clubs will get the same but my understanding was that we donít spend to the cap as we canít afford to.
Money doesnít guarantee anything look at Bristol - my hope is that they go down to prove the point or because I bear them any ill.

We need investment so this is good as it gets in windfall terms I imagine although for what weíll have to see.

Ring fence now!

Surely you mean Ring Fence next season ..... after we (hopefully) go up !

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 09:08
Would have to drastically change the business model of the premiership to allow ring fence. It is based on a competitive market which is counter productive to the national game, more so in France than here.
The RFU had a chance to contract players at the beginning of the professional era but choose the cheaper option at the time, to put the cost on the club's and pump the money into re-building Twickenham and employing more old boys

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 09:32
It would take big change to the model but itís needed, they ignored the issue for too long

NOx (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 10:46
It's a Faustian pact. The teams will get the windfall they're hungry for, and only once they've spent it and hold out their caps for more will they realise the magnitude of what they've done.

CVC bled Formula 1 dry and then sold it for more than it was worth, so the new owners are now stamping furiously on the remnants to see what juices remain.

HMRH (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 11:26
The RFUnwont and now it seems canít invest in the Chanpionship which means itís doomed To be a league for about 3 or 4 clubs all vying to go up

There arenít the players nor the money to expand it out and whilst in many ways Iím against ringfencing I really donít see any alternative without considerable investment

CVC buying a mush lower stake I read so presumable PRL trying to head off the F1 problems

Shawshank (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 12:28
From reading the newspaper articles the clubs appear to be getting a £20M one-off payment in return for ceding all future income from commercial rights/benefits (incl sponsiorship and TV money) to CVC, seemingly in perpetuity.

Not sure that this is a good deal for the clubs.

ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
28 November, 2018 20:34
Quote:
Shawshank
From reading the newspaper articles the clubs appear to be getting a £20M one-off payment in return for ceding all future income from commercial rights/benefits (incl sponsiorship and TV money) to CVC, seemingly in perpetuity.
Not sure that this is a good deal for the clubs.

Yeah thatís definitely not the case, £240m is less than 5 years of TV money and sponsorship. The vastly more likely alternative is that theyíve ceded 35% of it in perpetuity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net