rugbyunion
Latest News:

Ransom
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 09:05
Thereís an interesting article in todayís TRP about Ben Ransom. He mentioned that he felt unloved by Irish in our failured Premiership campaign. The likes of Topsy, Lewi and Big Joe keeping him out of the team. He is now relishing the opportunity to play for Cambridge in the varsity this week. Shame but good luck to him.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Re: Ransom
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 09:18
Read that this morning. I think he deserved a shot in the prem at some point and coming off a good season in the Championship. He was only really behind Lewington and Joe for me (not included Nalaga here). Guess they considered Topsy a little more defensively sound.

Thought it was poor form for the club to never officially announce that he'd left.

PV (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 11:39
Isnít it Oxford (sorry for the pedantry). I think it was quite a balanced article as he recognised he was not going to be first choice. Good luck to him!

Florida (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 12:47
Now playing alongside Robson and Waldouk

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 14:04
Quote:
PV
Isnít it Oxford (sorry for the pedantry). I think it was quite a balanced article as he recognised he was not going to be first choice. Good luck to him!

Yes itís Oxford. My mistake.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Steelman (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 18:51
Poor Ransom suffered from tha apparent need to play Marshall or Bell,both desperately lightweight in the tackle.It was always easier to have Tonks as backup ,rather than a real game changer like Ransom.In terms of game time ,he had no chance.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 19:42
Don't think we ever got to see a back 3 of lewington, Ransom and cokanasiga. That could have caused havoc!

Rosscaberry (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 17:21
George Robson is also in the team.
It is excellent that players, who have a relatively short playing career, are able attend university.
Also many ex-players acquire meaningful employment after their careers have ended. Over the years I've been aware that ex- players & coaches have moved onto good careers.
Paul Hodgson comes to mind who, I believe did an MBA , & is now a teacher.

As a season ticket holder for many years I am aware of the intensity of the game, the hits & the numerous injuries so it is pleasing that players seem to have career paths after rugby.

waltham (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 21:49
IMO (sadly) Ransom was just a bit too small in stature to be effective...Seemed to have good skills though.. Sad to see him go.

Shropshire Hugh (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 14:49
According to the BBC commentary, Ransom ' the former Saracens player' . Airbrushed out the embarrassing last bit!

Live in West Wales, work in England, supporting Scotland and London Irish

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 15:12
Ransom great line for the try assist!

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 16:03
Easy call as MoM! I think we missed something by letting him go.

orsoncart (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 16:27
MoM by a mile, Played really well, and knows how to draw the man and give a pass. IMHO didn't get a fair crack at LI

Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 18:33
Another own goal by Irish on re-tension of good players.

bigbitty (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 18:38
Quote:
Lincs-Exile
Another own goal by Irish on re-tension of good players.

Ah, so that's what they do at the world class training facilities! Wind em up and let em go!

Narbia (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 20:53
Quote:
BBC
16:56
Post update

Reaction: Oxford 38-16 Cambridge

Man of the Match Ben Ransom:

"It's an unreal feeling, the boys really worked hard this year.

"It was a tough first 20 minutes, Cambridge really came flying at us, but it was a great time to get that first try.

"It was very heated in the first half, but I think we built into the game well and, second half, we scored some good tries."
Article Reactions

Well done fella!

I'm not a robot : reCAPTCHA

Marbo (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 08:42
I watched the second half of the varsity game and managed to catch the highlights I agree with everyone above that Ransom had a very good game especially in attack. But imo he still looked soft in defence and as a fullback defence should be the basis of your game.

Also people are forgetting that we let him go because he was a disruption in the changing room. If you can't get on with team and the coaching staff they don't belong on our team I'm not interested in divas. I know it was only a rumour for his release but I can see how it could be true. Additionally we are stacked at fullback - Parton, Bell, McLean and Tonks. I know Tonks isn't the most popular name on his board but I think he's a solid player and I would have him over Ransom in my team as he's far more reliable.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 08:48
Quote:
Marbo
I watched the second half of the varsity game and managed to catch the highlights I agree with everyone above that Ransom had a very good game especially in attack. But imo he still looked soft in defence and as a fullback defence should be the basis of your game.
Also people are forgetting that we let him go because he was a disruption in the changing room. If you can't get on with team and the coaching staff they don't belong on our team I'm not interested in divas. I know it was only a rumour for his release but I can see how it could be true. Additionally we are stacked at fullback - Parton, Bell, McLean and Tonks. I know Tonks isn't the most popular name on his board but I think he's a solid player and I would have him over Ransom in my team as he's far more reliable.

Going by Instagram, half of our squad seemed to be at Twickenham yesterday cheering him on. Pretty decent effort for someone who couldn't get on with anyone.

For me he was unlucky not to have more of an opportunity. Would have been a handy option on the wing this season as he's a better wing than McLean and Hassell-Collins (at the moment) imo.

M51 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 13:24
Ben was the standout player at twickenham. He showed some sublime passing skills, I guess size isn't everything. Really enjoyed seeing the other old boys playing well. Good luck to him.

orsoncart (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 16:09
Quote:
Marbo

I'm not sure that I ever heard that he was 'a disruption'. Isn't it the job of the coaching staff to manage different types of temperament, good players can sometimes be a touch mercurial

Perhaps he was @#$%& off because he wasn't given much of a chance

I would have him as fullback right now.

Sore Doc (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 18:09
So, two former exiles at Twix in two separate games all in one week.(Sm152)

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 18:33
Quote:
Sore Doc

Wasnít there two playing for Oxford?

Florida (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 18:44
Quote:
fatlad76
Quote:
Sore Doc

Wasnít there two playing for Oxford?

Three; Ransom, Robson and Waldouk

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 19:36
Stand corrected I meant two more!

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
08 December, 2018 11:35
Quote:
Narbia
Quote:
BBC
16:56
Post update

Reaction: Oxford 38-16 Cambridge

Man of the Match Ben Ransom:

"It's an unreal feeling, the boys really worked hard this year.

"It was a tough first 20 minutes, Cambridge really came flying at us, but it was a great time to get that first try.

"It was very heated in the first half, but I think we built into the game well and, second half, we scored some good tries."
Article Reactions

Well done fella!

Where's AlecW when one needs him (Sm14)

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2018 11:39 by Foggy-Balla.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net