rugbyunion
Latest News:

BBC Berks. Announcement re teams future?
strontium190 (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 16:29
Evening all. Listening to BBC Berks today and the sports presenter said to expect a big announcement on the teams future this week. Anyone any idea what he may have meant?

Re: BBC Berks. Announcement re teams future?
SirBurger (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 16:47
Brentford?

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 16:48
Wimbledon?

03 December, 2018 16:53
Almost certainly not it, but there's a Times article just published saying that ringfencing immediately at 13 clubs is being discussed

Presumably because a few bigger names are in danger this season. Tends to focus the minds.

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

SirBurger (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 17:04
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Wimbledon?

Is that genuinely still on the cards? I always thought it was purely speculation.

03 December, 2018 17:09
Quote:
SirBurger
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Wimbledon?

Is that genuinely still on the cards? I always thought it was purely speculation.

I have no idea. After the Brentford talk died down a couple of years ago Venter mentioned it in a chat with a friend after a game. Just a vague 'what do you think of Wimbledon?'

Two years is a long time though. The silence on Brentford since the initial activity has been deafening though.

HMRH (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 17:51
Economics will drive ringfencing - rugbybisnt a big enough sport to support much more than the Prem. Times article points out Jersey losing £300k a year and council paid out £150k to finish this season.

Ealing bankrolled but have nowhere to play and no fan base. We struggle along at best

Florida (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 18:15
Can't see it being ring fencing, we've not been promoted yet, nor are we guaranteed promotion. I would assume its the new CVC deal and the "increased stability" we'll get from "increased investment"

norg2072 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 00:01
Maybe Powerday are no longer the main sponsor and a new investor has been found, which would explain why all of the Powerday signs at the Madejski are turned back to front!

Maybe the Brentford contract has been signed, which would align with West London rumours. The CVC money would cover any penalty clause to get out of the current contract.

Maybe we have signed several new players and they are to be announced.

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 07:35
Maybe London Irish have renegotiated the contract with the Madstad. Seems the deal with Brentford is just the same deal with no ownership. Would be good it this issue could be resolved once and for all.

Come on you Irish

Paul

AlecW (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 08:25
I think it is more likely to be related to the stories in multiple papers this morning about a THIRTEEN team ringfenced Premiership.

04 December, 2018 08:27
I don't think it will be CVC or ringfencing related. Reckon it will more likely be club specific location, investment or both.

Guess we'll soon find out

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 08:28
I imagine it will be a ringfencing of the prem. The likes of craig will never let poor precious Bath play in the championship, and as it currently stands anyone of of about 6 teams could go down.

13 teams seems stupid to me. Make it 14 and include another strong northern team like doncaster or yorkshire. They have the base and grounds and will help grow the sport in that region which is dominated by football/league.

HMRH (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 08:47
Wonít be RF this season - too late and itís not agreed yet whereas LI announcing something already agreed

Either ground or investment I imagine or combination

RuckingBrilliant (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 09:53
I hear that it is a new heavy investor for the club.... no details as yet but it sounds positive for a serious crack at the Prem..

norg2072 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 10:00
I agree HMRH, if it's being announced this week then it can't be CVC or RF as those details have yet to be determined / agreed.

Hazelwood chatter suggests Brentford announcement, but new signings as well.

But as nobody can explain why the Powerday signs are mounted back2front inside the stadium i wonder if it could also be investment as you suggest.

Steelman (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 11:26
Well whatever it is it can't be too mind blowing or the info would have leaked by now.
It's probably about Santas appearance at the next game in stead of Digger. Ho.

Old-nick (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 16:20
"Googling" Powerday I found on their website that Powerday are also "Proud sponsors of Hayes and Yeading United FC". Hayes and Yeading have a nice ground at The SkyEx Community Stadium, Beaconsfield Road, Hayes UB4 0SL. The stadium has recently been upgraded - see [hyufc.com] and it looks to me that there would be space for further development of the ground.

Pure speculation on my part but could Irish be joining forces with Hayes and Yeading to create a West London venue for Irish? It would make sense to me!!

HMRH (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 16:45
Own a ground - nirvana

bigbitty (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 16:56
Quote:
Old-nick
"Googling" Powerday I found on their website that Powerday are also "Proud sponsors of Hayes and Yeading United FC". Hayes and Yeading have a nice ground at The SkyEx Community Stadium, Beaconsfield Road, Hayes UB4 0SL. The stadium has recently been upgraded - see [hyufc.com] and it looks to me that there would be space for further development of the ground.
Pure speculation on my part but could Irish be joining forces with Hayes and Yeading to create a West London venue for Irish? It would make sense to me!!

It's difficult to find any mention on the website of how many that single stand could hold, but there is an oblique reference to 1200 - surely that is nowhere big enough for premiership rules?

HMRH (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 17:25
Min 10000

Florida (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 17:33
Those pics were from 2016. One would imagine it's all complete now. According to Wikipedia the capacity is 3000. There's 1000 seats and car parking space for 200 cars.

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 08:10
This morning's papers report that Nigel Melville, interim Chief Executive of the RFU, has said that talk of ring fencing is wishful thinking. But in the same breath he also opined that ďI wouldnít really want Newcastle or Sale to come down because regionally they are important to the game". So presumably relegation is OK provided it's the "right" team that goes down. It's good to see such clarity of thought...

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 08:36
A lot of twitter talk about it. Most consistent chatter is that someone will do down this season as itís too late to change it but next year there wonít be any relegation. We have to make sure we go up this season, donít fancy scrapping it out with another prem team next year to win the league.

I assume you all noticed how much effort theyíve made to change it all now that Irish or Worcester arenít bottom. No panic last season when we were bottom.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 08:42
I guarantee if Bath or Leicester end up bottom they WON't go down.

HMRH (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 08:48
They will and the legal challenges will be great to behold

Florida (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 09:04
Quote:
Jamiepep1
I guarantee if Bath or Leicester end up bottom they WON't go down.

Wouldn't be sad to see Bath go down; Mercer, Underhill, Attwood, Stooke, JJ, Watson and Joe all suddenly unavailable for England, in the run up to a world cup too. It would almost be like all my Christmases come at once.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 09:08
Thats exactly my point, one of those two go down the RFUs appetite for ring-fencing suddenly becomes much more serious.

Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 13:51
Makes you wonder with the talent they have amassed how come they aren't in the top four is it just bad luck or possibly revenge from the Rugby Gods for stealing all those players !!

Marbo (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 14:25
Bath are a mess due to the owner Bruce Craig he's the problem. Spoilt child syndrome of his train set and only he can play with it. His over ruling of coaches on recruitment in his desperation to recreate a mismatch team of the wales international side and the top talent of our academy in Bath colours, its a mess. I really like a lot of their players in the Bath side but always thought most of them would look better in green than blue. If Bath went down I'd take Mercer, Underhill, Big Joe and Freddie all off their hands whilst they enjoy a season in the championship (Sm22)

Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 15:41
I don't think Mr Craig would be quite so keen on ringfencing IF Bath were to be relegated i can just imagine him and Dyson crying into there champagne especially if they build there new stadium HOHOHO

Florida (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 10:45
All quiet on the club's future so far, I'm beginning to doubt we're going to hear anything sad smiley

Shawshank (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 11:11

PV (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 12:52
Weird shaped stadium.

Back on point, maybe it was total conjecture from BBC Berks.

I still think there should be 2 Premier leagues of 8 - one North and Midlands - one London and South West.

That way, it gives a few extra aspiring sides the opportunity to come into the fold. I'd also review after 2 seasons and see what's what in terms of KPIs.

North and Midlands

Sale
Newcastle
Leicester
Northampton
Wasps
Worcester
Yorkshire Carnegie
1 other (Championship)

London and South West
Exeter
Gloucester
Bath
Bristol
Quins
Sarries
Us (Championship)
Trailfinders or Jersey (Championship)

14 matches home and away in division - plenty of local rivalry

top 4 from each play QF and so on. So total of 17 club games max. The Europe.

Bring back the proper cup with all English club sides down to a certain level in it as well - the current one is pointless.

This gives more regional investment, more derbies, less games for the players, over 40% believe they play too much already...And gives other clubs outside of the 13 a chance.

HMRH (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 12:58
Yes like that idea

PV (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 13:24
Thanks

orsoncart (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 13:52
Cracking idea from PV. Only downside is revenue loss from 4 games, covered if cup is meaningful. Will be beneficial for players. Send it to Melville!

PV (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 14:12
I think Nigel is wrestling with the massive pressure of one of the favoured clubs going down and having to stick to his word - i.e. that there is no change for this year.

We must get promoted though as I genuinely don't think they'll go outside the 13 and may even eventually reduce it to a smaller number. IMHO, the CVC investment will ultimately lead to the demise of professional rugby as it looks like it's all going into salaries!

I can see one of Bath, Tigers, Saints or even Quins succumbing to the drop. I think Newcastle will come back strongly and Worcester and Sale will also survive.

Florida (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 14:16
On a purely personal level I don't like it simply because most of my friends are Wasp fans (with a smattering of Quins and Tiggers).

SirBurger (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 14:20
Quote:
PV
I think Nigel is wrestling with the massive pressure of one of the favoured clubs going down and having to stick to his word - i.e. that there is no change for this year.
We must get promoted though as I genuinely don't think they'll go outside the 13 and may even eventually reduce it to a smaller number. IMHO, the CVC investment will ultimately lead to the demise of professional rugby as it looks like it's all going into salaries!

I can see one of Bath, Tigers, Saints or even Quins succumbing to the drop. I think Newcastle will come back strongly and Worcester and Sale will also survive.

I think Quins will be ok. Saints or Bath for me look the most vulnerable.

Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 20:20
With 2 pools of 8 you could play home and away against teams in your pool plus home OR away against all teams in the other pool.

That gives 7+4 home and 7+4 away so you still play 22 games and don't lose any home matches. Top 2 in each pool can then go into playoffs for trophy each season. Relegation for worst 2 performers/worst per pool over 2 seasons by average position (games won, tries then points scored as deciding factors).

Still leaves time for Europe and you could redevelop a cup competition incorporating the Championship and National 1/2 sides for the international weekends.

PV (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 20:43
Yep, an option, but (sorry) it still keeps the number of games on the high end. Otherwise I donít mind it being a rotating two top leagues as welll if we donít hang onto derbies and crowd marketing etc. Eg wasps Quins Leicester us Exeter and so on in one league one year. Whatever works.

07 December, 2018 14:39
Call me pessimistic, but I don't think there's going to be an announcement this week.

Florida (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 14:59
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Call me pessimistic, but I don't think there's going to be an announcement this week.

I have that feeling too

Sore Doc (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 18:59
I still think there should be 2 Premier leagues of 8 - one North and Midlands - one London and South West.

That way, it gives a few extra aspiring sides the opportunity to come into the fold. I'd also review after 2 seasons and see what's what in terms of KPIs.

North and Midlands

Sale
Newcastle
Leicester
Northampton
Wasps
Worcester
Yorkshire Carnegie
1 other (Championship)

London and South West
Exeter
Gloucester
Bath
Bristol
Quins
Sarries
Us (Championship)
Trailfinders or Jersey (Championship)

[/quote]
There are a couple of venues in the North section that I would miss visiting and a couple in the South that I have no inclination to revisit.

Moreover, how do the competition authorities sort out who goes into what European cups?

GHA (IP Logged)
08 December, 2018 07:48
Great trolling by that wanderson90 guy

HMRH (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 06:03
Melville talks about 2 pools of 8 and then losing the cup and A leagues. Interesting angle is that he says England have 1200 professional players v NZ around 300 so money is supporting that number and hence 3 competitions needs to be reduced to protect the core Premiership.

Makes sense unless youíre a professional
Player of course

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net