John H 11 December, 2018 21:42
Or if LI get promoted and Bath get relegated

Re: Bath line up Josh McNally
MattM 12 December, 2018 05:44
Quote:
John H

The dream

Sponsoring Ollie Hassell-Collins for the 2018/19 season.

Usually found tweeting gibberish (via @MattMerritt)

ExiledChameleon 12 December, 2018 10:09
Quote:
MattM
Quote:
John H

The dream

One thing I've been thinking about is the new PRL/RFU deal, they can't select anyone who plays for a club who is in the Championship. By calling up Joe when we had just got promoted the precedent was set that status changes immediately at the end of the season.

So any players who want to go to Japan would have to leave the relegated club. I for one would welcome back Joseph/Watson/Cokanasiga/Stooke, along with Mercer, Underhill, and Ewels. I may die of schadenfreude overload however.

Griff 12 December, 2018 10:14
The EggChasers Podcast this week suggested Bath were after Mike Williams - their comment was why would Bath need a back-row/lock. If they're already getting one that's surplus to requirements it seems unlikely they'd get another too. Of course this is Bath so sense isn't necessarily a key indicator.

I did express health concerns at the last home game that if Bath were to go down I'm worried I might actually laugh a lung out...

BathMatt53 12 December, 2018 12:38
Quote:
Griff
The EggChasers Podcast this week suggested Bath were after Mike Williams - their comment was why would Bath need a back-row/lock. If they're already getting one that's surplus to requirements it seems unlikely they'd get another too.

Both Dave Attwood and Luke Charteris are likely to be off this summer, along with Paul Grant in the back row. With Ewels and Stooke as first lock choices both potentially in England camps (with Mercer and Underhill) it leaves the squad short at points over the season. No idea if the rumour is true - it is the player agent speak season after all - but the club does need lock cover.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

LI Bohemian 12 December, 2018 13:22
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Griff
The EggChasers Podcast this week suggested Bath were after Mike Williams - their comment was why would Bath need a back-row/lock. If they're already getting one that's surplus to requirements it seems unlikely they'd get another too.

Both Dave Attwood and Luke Charteris are likely to be off this summer, along with Paul Grant in the back row. With Ewels and Stooke as first lock choices both potentially in England camps (with Mercer and Underhill) it leaves the squad short at points over the season. No idea if the rumour is true - it is the player agent speak season after all - but the club does need lock cover.

Well put like that it would make sense to plunder the normal team, no need to develop or discover and refine talent when you have the money to move in on Irish. I don't dislike barf, I read their NB frequently, they let players like Banners go, to try and buy success without building a team with a firm foundation, the club seem to lack soul.
Considering the money and potential why do they flag so much (pun intended).

BathMatt53 12 December, 2018 13:28
No idea LI Bohemian but they have invested more in their academy and are starting to see a few kids come through now. Banahan wanted big money and a long deal I understand, so like other clubs they made a business decision. In terms of money, well most prem teams spend the entire cap now so guess thatís the leveller that it was intended to be? With them all becoming commercial operations and new branding etc, havenít most of the premiership clubs lost some soul?

Exile_Dave 12 December, 2018 13:38
After listening to the podcast with him on a couple of weeks ago, I canít see him joining Bath. Heís clearly enjoying his rugby at Irish with his vast captain responsibility this season as well. I think he will be offered an extension by Irish, thus cutting Bath out of the picture, jog on Bath look at someone else.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Shawshank 12 December, 2018 13:47
In many ways he's an identikit player to Matt Garvey. Probably even better on the charge, maybe not quite as good over the ball.

Hopefully the lure of Captaincy and a decent long-term contract with us will be enough to keep the big fella.

SirBurger 12 December, 2018 14:28
He is more mobile and better in the line-out than Garvey, but I agree that there are similarities in the rest of their play.

LI Bohemian 12 December, 2018 14:41
After some extensive research and polling of some top rugby people, I've managed to compile a premiership league table of soul, this is by no means just a list that has made up on the spot and thrown together in a tea break.

Chief's
Gloucester
Newcastle
Saracens
Leicester
Sale
Worcester
Bristol
Saints
Harlequins
Wasps
Bath

Jamiepep1 12 December, 2018 15:08
Baths and to an extent Leicesters problem is exactly that a lack of identity and soul. I couldn't tell you definitively what their teams are known for. Exeter (brutal and effective set piece, dominate collisions, pick and go) Sarries (wolf pack defence, kick chase, high pressure) Glaws (fast paced and elusive backline)

Bath are known for having a t**t of a CEO and poaching players (mostly from us) they have no distinguishable style or direction, until they firmly decide what that is and build around that they won't win anything anytime soon.

This all being said they are and have been operating much higher than us for a number of seasons.

BathMatt53 12 December, 2018 15:40
Totally agree Jamiepep in relation to style of play - I think that's what Girvan Dempsey was brought in to provide but he has his work cut out at the moment.

Margin_Walker 12 December, 2018 18:57
I could see him leaving to be honest. At the moment, without significant investment, (or ringfencing) we look like a club in limbo likely to continue to yo-yo until another Championship club usurps us. CVC money would help if that does come through, but we'd still be bottom of the pile as far as prem clubs go for the moment.

He's had a pretty turbulent pro career so far with London Welsh's collapse, his health troubles and us getting relegated. A lot of clubs on much better footings will be in for him with his contract up at the end of the season and he's at an age where he's probably got one big contract in him.

Not saying he will leave and sure we'll offer him whatever we can to stay. Just that it's not a sure thing.

plzd 12 December, 2018 19:17
Money talks

Margin_Walker 12 December, 2018 19:24
Quote:
plzd
Money talks

I'd imagine the money on the table would actually be pretty similar and any decision would be down to other factors.

Shropshire Hugh 12 December, 2018 19:45
It must be slightly embarrassing poaching yet ANOTHER LI player, even for them!!

Living in the Ionian Isles so just lurking when wifi allows!

Bazzo 12 December, 2018 21:19
Quote:
Jamiepep1
Baths and to an extent Leicesters problem is exactly that a lack of identity and soul. I couldn't tell you definitively what their teams are known for. Exeter (brutal and effective set piece, dominate collisions, pick and go) Sarries (wolf pack defence, kick chase, high pressure) Glaws (fast paced and elusive backline)
Bath are known for having a t**t of a CEO and poaching players (mostly from us) they have no distinguishable style or direction, until they firmly decide what that is and build around that they won't win anything anytime soon.

This all being said they are and have been operating much higher than us for a number of seasons.

I have to say that I particularly disagree with Tigers being on that list. No soul.... Leicester, really? I think that they are the club with most soul, fans, will to win, traditionally always strong and tough. I suppose it depends on how you measure soul? Are you talking about playing style?

Bath might have a dictator of an owner who tries to run the league on his own but I honestly think that their supporters, the Rec, the history and tradition of the club gives them plenty of soul. Both of those clubs might not be having great seasons so far but I think that they have to be right up there on my lists.

Blarney 12 December, 2018 21:33
When will they just f@&£ off?

Professional sport and all that, business first blah blah...but they cannot claim that this has been anything other than a deliberate policy of targeted raiding against our club.

They have methodically stripped our academy, something which has had a direct impact on the decline of LI, how people donít understand the impact of losing almost every promising home-grown player (and a whole raft of them at once) on a not-exactly-wealthy club like ours defies belief.

Why on earth would any young player want to join Bathís academy? Who was the last success story they brought through themselves?

I hope Mr Booth is well satisfied with his revenge against the club that spurned him - may he f@&£*#g choke on it if they are relegated.

PV 12 December, 2018 21:58
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
Jamiepep1

I have to say that I particularly disagree with Tigers being on that list. No soul.... Leicester, really? I think that they are the club with most soul, fans, will to win, traditionally always strong and tough. I suppose it depends on how you measure soul? Are you talking about playing style?

Bath might have a dictator of an owner who tries to run the league on his own but I honestly think that their supporters, the Rec, the history and tradition of the club gives them plenty of soul. Both of those clubs might not be having great seasons so far but I think that they have to be right up there on my lists.

Couldnít agree more, both have soul and great provenance.

On Bath and us, tbh I donít see it unfair game, itís a pro spirt and yes, money talks, in particular when the difference is double, the security is double and you might win something! Pro players today have a shorter playing career than ever (in particular forwards) and in Joshís case a year ago he was recovering from a heart problem. So as a pro, I wouldnít blame him or Bath.

We have to compete to stop the tide, we did 10 years ago(ish), we need that back: Can K&K and CVC do that for us, we shall see, perfect platform for them (when we think about it) to prove others wrong about us.....

LI Bohemian 12 December, 2018 23:03
It's not a list it's a league table, if you disagree

LI Bohemian 12 December, 2018 23:06
Then make your own league table the ones at the bottom have less soul than the ones at the top
Bleddy Romans!

ExiledChameleon 13 December, 2018 02:51
Bath are perhaps the only rugby club in the world who I really wouldn't give a toss about going bust, and to be honest, I wish them nothing but ill will.

Can't blame the younger players however, it's a short career, you have to take the money on offer. For older players, or ones who we have given a chance too, I'd like to see at least a modicum of loyalty, i.e. stick with us when we get promoted, and if we then go back down, look at options.

plzd 13 December, 2018 19:44
Quote:
Shropshire Hugh
It must be slightly embarrassing poaching yet ANOTHER LI player, even for them!!
they seem to have no idea of embarrassment looking at the salary cap fiasco

plzd 13 December, 2018 19:47
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Bath are perhaps the only rugby club in the world who I really wouldn't give a toss about going bust, and to be honest, I wish them nothing but ill will.
Can't blame the younger players however, it's a short career, you have to take the money on offer. For older players, or ones who we have given a chance too, I'd like to see at least a modicum of loyalty, i.e. stick with us when we get promoted, and if we then go back down, look at options.
I would not like to see any club go bust but understand the ire that you feel for sure agree with everything else you have said

GHA 13 December, 2018 21:29
Quote:
plzd
Quote:
Shropshire Hugh
they seem to have no idea of embarrassment looking at the salary cap fiasco

Neither do you looking at the fact you're a quins fan

Huew 14 December, 2018 13:23
Some pretty embarrassing comments in this thread, wow.

Foggy-Balla 15 December, 2018 16:09
So weíd prefer Pimms over a shower these days?

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Smudge21 16 December, 2018 12:58
Piece in the mail today stating that both saracens and exeter tried to sign josh as a short term loan option but he rejected both as he's committed to our promotion campaign

JamesC 16 December, 2018 15:36
Top man

Fursa 07 January, 2019 19:12
According to the Mail on Sunday

" Wasps and Bath have moved to sign RAF Corporal and London Irish captain Josh McNally.
McNally has already made it clear that he intends to leave at the end of the season and he is expected to make a final decision on his next club over the weekend."

Saracens were also interested but are now hopeful that Will Skelton will sign a new contract.

SirBurger 07 January, 2019 19:22
Ffs.

Florida 07 January, 2019 19:25
Time to give Albert some game time and prep for next year

SirBurger 07 January, 2019 20:01
Quote:
Florida
Time to give Albert some game time and prep for next year

Based on his stats I expect Albert is going to be more of a back row option for us.

jimbo800 07 January, 2019 20:06
Albert?

Florida 07 January, 2019 20:17
Quote:
jimbo800
Albert?

The new Fijian signing.

jimbo800 07 January, 2019 20:21
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
jimbo800
Albert?

The new Fijian signing.

Thanks. Iím actually more annoyed about the possibility of josh leaving than some of our youngsters. Was him staying this season his way of repaying the club after his health issues before leaving? If itís true, heís clearly not buying into whatever Declan and Les are saying.

Smudge21 07 January, 2019 20:24
Although it would be very disappointing to lose mcnally, I do feel he is slightly overrated by some people on this board

Margin_Walker 07 January, 2019 20:26
Sure I read (probably on the Bath board) a month or two ago that he was close to leaving last summer, but an agreement couldn't be made in terms of compensation. He didn't have a release clause like the others

May be wide of the mark though.

Margin_Walker 07 January, 2019 20:28
Either way, he's a cracking player, but life will go one without him if he does leave. As long as we manage to put together a squad capable of being more competitive than last time, which early indications (Jackson, Mafi etc) suggest we might.

Just the small matter of actually getting promoted first

Florida 07 January, 2019 20:30
Very disappointing if he does want to leave, especially to go to Bath or Wasps where things clearly aren't right. Bath have a star studded team, can't win a damn thing and chop and change coaches, wasps have a whole host of players looking to leave.

jimbo800 07 January, 2019 20:31
As we saw with franks, a marquee signing is only any good if he has a decent group to play with. I donít see Mafi leading a team, weíd need yet another skipper.

Florida 07 January, 2019 20:39
Quote:
jimbo800
As we saw with franks, a marquee signing is only any good if he has a decent group to play with. I donít see Mafi leading a team, weíd need yet another skipper.

In regards to Franks, saw him playing for Northampton at the weekend, still a penalty magnet.

As to Josh, yes we'll need another captain, can't really see FVDM doing another season.

Smudge21 07 January, 2019 20:47
Think Maddison has captained us when mcnally hasn't played this year

GHA 07 January, 2019 21:04
Quote:
Smudge21
I do feel he is slightly overrated by some people on this board

On this board? Surely not!

Jamiepep1 08 January, 2019 10:11
I know what you mean by overrated but i think why people more wax lyrical about him is because you can tell any time he plays he puts everything he has into everything, which is a great trait especially of a captain and encourages others.

SirBurger 08 January, 2019 10:37
Heís a very good all rounder with no obvious weaknesses to his play. I think all fans tend to overrate their best players but he is definitely one of ours and will be missed.

LI Bohemian 08 January, 2019 12:27
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Smudge21

Just wondered what game you both attended where Josh fell a little bit short of giving it his all this season.

Margin_Walker 08 January, 2019 12:48
Plenty of players give their all imo, so it's probably not the best measure of an excellent player. It should be a starting point. Josh and a cracking all-rounder as SirB says and really gives the team so go forward both in the tackle, set piece and with ball in hand.

Will be gutted to see him go if he does leave, but everyone is replaceable to some degree. Would just really like to see a squad next year with fewer steady players and more real game breakers.

GHA 08 January, 2019 12:52
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Smudge21

Just wondered what game you both attended where Josh fell a little bit short of giving it his all this season.

Just wondered where either of us suggested Josh fell a little bit short of giving it his all this season (or any season)?

HMRH 08 January, 2019 14:16
Too much future focus - we need to be sure we go up. Added the 2 Fijian lads but otherwise seems we will select from existing squad. Hope we get a few back to fitness soon. Need BP wins and to Make sure we beat Jersey then Pirates and then Ealing - all big games and by no means guaranteed . That loss in Jersey really narrowed the field

SirBurger 08 January, 2019 15:13
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Will be gutted to see him go if he does leave, but everyone is replaceable to some degree. Would just really like to see a squad next year with fewer steady players and more real game breakers.

I agree with this. We should be looking to reduce the squad by around 10 players and focus on a higher quality, with guys like Mafi who can cover more than one position.

Margin_Walker 08 January, 2019 16:05
Quote:
SirBurger
Quote:
Margin_Walker

I agree with this. We should be looking to reduce the squad by around 10 players and focus on a higher quality, with guys like Mafi who can cover more than one position.

Yep, slightly high risk in some regards, but running a smaller higher quality squad has to be an option. Increase the size of the senior academy again to back fill for Cup games etc.

Florida 08 January, 2019 18:36
Small squads just don't work anymore, look how we've been decimated by injury previously and how wasps are now suffering. Not arguing that we don't need to increase quality, but don't think reducing the size of the squad is the way to do it.

We should however look at who is premiership standard, who can be developed, who can do a decent job and then replace what's left

SirBurger 08 January, 2019 19:52
Quote:
Florida
Small squads just don't work anymore, look how we've been decimated by injury previously and how wasps are now suffering. Not arguing that we don't need to increase quality, but don't think reducing the size of the squad is the way to do it.
We should however look at who is premiership standard, who can be developed, who can do a decent job and then replace what's left

Think it can be achieved - look at Sale. Pretty sure they have a smaller squad than we do. For me it makes the most financial sense if we want to improve our first choice XV.

Florida 08 January, 2019 20:05
Fair enough, I hadn't realised ours was actually that large! Roughly 43 players to sales 33, don't know what the premiership average is (sarries are circa 45).

There's 13 I'd be looking to get shot of and Josh brings it up to 14, I'd then look to bring in 10 additions.

LI Bohemian 08 January, 2019 20:57
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Smudge21

Just wondered where either of us suggested Josh fell a little bit short of giving it his all this season (or any season)?

The bit where smudge said he was over rated and you seem to sarcastically agree, but you don't have to commit yourself to an answer it's not your style.

GHA 08 January, 2019 21:36
There's a difference between someone giving it their all and someone being overrated by others. I'll commit to an answer when you come up with a sensible question rather than semi-incoherent ramblings

Florida 08 January, 2019 21:41
Gentlefolk, it's a new year, perhaps a time to stop bickering and move forward?

GHA 08 January, 2019 21:43
Quote:
Florida
Gentlefolk, it's a new year, perhaps a time to stop bickering and move forward?

Good shout, Florida. Happy New Year to you

jimbo800 12 January, 2019 13:08
We already believed he was off but I just had it confirmed by someone who works for a sports agency whoís also a Bath fan. Heíll be a Bath player next season.

HMRH 12 January, 2019 14:39
Shame but good luck and letís
Move on

jimbo800 12 January, 2019 14:42
Who is captain material now?

ExiledChameleon 12 January, 2019 21:22
Disappointing, time to pop him on ice and give time to players who will be with us next season.

Margin_Walker 12 January, 2019 21:29
Not sure I'd want to pop probably our best player on ice before promotion is guaranteed. As long as he's performing on the pitch, he's one of the first on the team sheet for me.

Does certainly leave the captaincy question open for next season though.

Steelman 12 January, 2019 22:04
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Disappointing, time to pop him on ice and give time to players who will be with us next season.
100% agree. We are way over staffed,and plenty of our players have hardly had a sniff of match time,without a team fixtures. A decent player and probably a very decent bloke,but
I can't help thinking Bath are signing a steady Eddie,not a game changer.

HMRH 12 January, 2019 22:30
What yíall smoking? Who do we have better than Josh in that position?

Please donít tell me itís an academy player?

Shawshank 12 January, 2019 22:37
Huge loss if true.

Joshís is our best forward by some distance.

jimbo800 12 January, 2019 23:21
Quote:
Steelman
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
100% agree. We are way over staffed,and plenty of our players have hardly had a sniff of match time,without a team fixtures. A decent player and probably a very decent bloke,but
I can't help thinking Bath are signing a steady Eddie,not a game changer.

Unfortunately heís exactly the player Bath need. No showboating, just hard working.

ExiledChameleon 12 January, 2019 23:35
Quote:
HMRH
What yíall smoking? Who do we have better than Josh in that position?
Please donít tell me itís an academy player?

No-one, but we do have 4 pts + a game on 2nd, and are massively unlikely to let the lead slip. Being in the Championship is about building for the future, playing a player who doesn't want to be here isn't going to help that.

I'd also feel somewhat differently if he was going somewhere other than Bath, a club that has repeatedly targeted our best players for recruitment.

What sort of message does it send to others in the club if the captain himself is packing his bags ready to leave, to the club that has done us more harm than any other just before a season where the club is going to be scrapping like never before? It's a pretty disgraceful end to a productive few years from him.

Thanks for the service Josh, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2019 23:37 by ExiledChameleon.

LI Bohemian 12 January, 2019 23:45
Don't really know how to take this news, my heart says tell him to go now and save the wages, he is our best forward but we will be going into a tougher playing environment next season without him (if promoted) so it might be time to learn to play without him sooner than later.
Unless the powers that be have already lined up a good replacement, then we should play him until his legs fall off.

Florida 12 January, 2019 23:47
I posted saying we should drop him post haste. It was tongue in cheek. At the end of the day, if he gives his all on the pitch then he plays and he continues to play until someone is better than he is. I'll be sad to see him leave, even sadder if it's that shower of @#$%& team from the west.

Florida 12 January, 2019 23:48
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Don't really know how to take this news, my heart says tell him to go now and save the wages, he is our best forward but we will be going into a tougher playing environment next season without him (if promoted) so it might be time to learn to play without him sooner than later.
Unless the powers that be have already lined up a good replacement, then we should play him until his legs fall off.

I hear Attwood might be available 😁

Steelman 13 January, 2019 07:43
Suppose it's stretching things to consider Josh as one of our own when you see that
He only joined in January 2017 ,after the demise of Welsh,and knowing that his career
In the RAF is just on hold.Quite clearly he just follows the dream
you would just think that third time round he would pick the right club !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2019 07:47 by Steelman.

SirBurger 13 January, 2019 09:46
Itís the fact that itís Bath that is frustrating. Theyíre really not a very good side at the moment.

Narbia 13 January, 2019 10:20
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
What sort of message does it send to others in the club if the captain himself is packing his bags ready to leave, to the club that has done us more harm than any other just before a season where the club is going to be scrapping like never before? It's a pretty disgraceful end to a productive few 2 years from him.

Thanks for the service Josh, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

What signal does that send to the squad? A captain bailing out ? Poor man management from K&K.

There's no shortage of fellas wanting to pull the shirt on with pride, and with the arm-band.

I'd be more concerned about Myler retiring after this season.

I'm not a robot : reCAPTCHA

Smudge21 13 January, 2019 11:54
Don't agree with those saying josh should be dropped, he's a very key player for us and we need to guarantee promotion. Let's not forget josh turned down loan moves to saracens and exeter in order to help us get promoted

Narbia 13 January, 2019 12:41
Quote:
Smudge21
Let's not forget josh turned down loan moves to saracens and exeter in order to help us get promoted

So the player turned down a move mid-season, mid-contract, but the club were allowing him to go?

Either the story is completely false, or the club don't value him as much as you think they do.

Florida 13 January, 2019 15:10
This would be the reason why you don't drop Josh

[twitter.com]

ExiledChameleon 13 January, 2019 16:47
Quote:
Florida
[twitter.com]

There's no point on relying on him now if we aren't going to have him next season. If we can't go up without him then we're definitely not staying up.

Florida 13 January, 2019 16:55
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Quote:
Florida
[twitter.com]

There's no point on relying on him now if we aren't going to have him next season. If we can't go up without him then we're definitely not staying up.

There's every point in relying on him now, he's start part of the bloody team. As to next year, yes, we'll miss him, but there's nothing stopping us from replacing him by the time the season starts.

SixNineOne 13 January, 2019 20:00
Based in todayís performance thereís no doubting his commitment to our cause, which is no surprise to me. Heís a top man who has made a perfectly rational decision to further his career and I wish him all the best.

Lincs-Exile 13 January, 2019 20:20
Have no problem with players wanting to improve with bigger clubs just peed off its with bloody Barf again every one of our previous players going to them has ended up broken for large parts of a season, makes you wonder what the attraction is.

GHA 13 January, 2019 20:20
I also think if he's not going to be here next season we should get others in instead, may as well give his replacement (If they are already here) as long to gel and buy into the side as possible rather than waiting till the close season... and we should be able to get promoted without him - if we can't it won't bode well for next season

Just to add he always gives his all in case anyone's confused

SirBurger 13 January, 2019 21:06
The thought of leaving out our best player because it doesn't bode well for next season is madness. Failing to get promotion would be a disaster. The first priority has to be to secure promotion and then worry about next season once that is done. We can drop McNally once that is done, hopefully with a few games to spare.

GHA 13 January, 2019 21:13
We should be good enough to get promoted without him... our promotion hopes shouldn't rest on his shoulders.

I understand that people want our best 15 out there though

SirBurger 13 January, 2019 22:23
Quote:
GHA
We should be good enough to get promoted without him... our promotion hopes shouldn't rest on his shoulders.
I understand that people want our best 15 out there though

I agree with that but just donít think itís worth the risk.

Bazzo 13 January, 2019 22:47
I just donít like the signal that it sends out when our Captain and best player this season for me wants to leave? Why would he want to? If we are back in the Premiership then he can be on view for England.

It has been said by those who were at the meeting with Facer that ten players are coming, so the club has some good talent on the way hopefully, but why would your current Captain want to leave? Hope it is just not true.

GHA 13 January, 2019 22:52
Quote:
Bazzo
I just donít like the signal that it sends out when our Captain and best player this season for me wants to leave? Why would he want to? If we are back in the Premiership then he can be on view for England.
It has been said by those who were at the meeting with Facer that ten players are coming, so the club has some good talent on the way hopefully, but why would your current Captain want to leave? Hope it is just not true.

Money talks, that's why. He's not saying I hate it here the club is@#$%&Ihate Brentford Hazelwood isn't all that get me out of here, a club has come in and said do you want this much money and he's said yes. Simple.

Margin_Walker 13 January, 2019 22:57
I really doubt it's a money thing. We were probably in the position to match whatever Bath were offering.

Guessing he wants a crack at playing for a mid table team before the end of his career rather than one that's perennially threatened by relegation. Annoying that it's Bath again though.

Florida 13 January, 2019 23:36
Exactly what MW says. He's on England's radar so he needs to be in the premiership. We however, are not in the premiership, nor are we guaranteed to be there next season. IF we get there, and I hope we do, there's no guarantee we'll stay there. If fact, we're most likely be the club relegated. What would you do in his place? Get yourself into a team that is likely going to be in the premiership for years to come and make sure you're in the England shop window, or stick with a team that could be in the championship next season or the season after.

It'll be a shame if it's bath.

LI Bohemian 13 January, 2019 23:42
After watching the game today, I think we should be playing him every week, as he is a leader and regularly gets the turn over of possession, yes he won't be here next year but we need to get promoted and who knows maybe there's a better player out there.
As far as sending out the wrong message, who cares there is nothing you can do about players leaving, look at pests. That he's going to Bath, I'm over it, it might be a blessing moving to Brentford, it seems that the Bath scouts only have a bus pass as far as Reading.

SixNineOne 14 January, 2019 08:48
If we're going to lose him, it's actually not a bad time for him to go. Brian Facer's announcement that there are 10 new signings suggests there's going to be a pretty big clear out at the end of the season, so we're going to have to rebuild the team anyway. Whilst it might have been nice to have Josh provide some continuity I don't think it's vital. Somewhat controversially, I rather like Bath - after all I can't believe people like Matt Garvey, JJ, Anthony Watson etc, etc stopped being good guys just because they moved jobs...

GHA 14 January, 2019 09:16
You're kinda missing the point there 691

Narbia 14 January, 2019 09:59
@SixNineOne.

You're new here. Some of us are a little tired of shelling out our hard-earned to provide a stepping stone to BATH Rugby.

Bazzo 14 January, 2019 11:23
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Bazzo

Money talks, that's why. He's not saying I hate it here the club is@#$%&Ihate Brentford Hazelwood isn't all that get me out of here, a club has come in and said do you want this much money and he's said yes. Simple.

Do not buy that at all. If we can afford 10 new players, on top of the ones that we have already signed then we can afford to make Josh a very good offer. We are splashing the cash now, spending up to the salary cap and two marquee players. We would have no issue fitting McNally in. Whatever his problem is, it is not money

Jamiepep1 14 January, 2019 13:19
Maybe being located nearer to Bath suits his RAF career ambitions better? Lots of things could make him want to go. If hes going he's going. Mafi is a better player plus we could get more in. We've got Ben Donnell in the academy who is very highly rated too. No one player is bigger than the club.

Griff 14 January, 2019 14:29
Interestingly if you look at the RAF bases map there's a bit of a gap surrounding Bath... I'd have thought it'd be more difficult for Josh to live there and keep with the RAF.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net