Latest News:

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Bath line up Josh McNally
Bazzo (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 16:24
Quote:
Jamiepep1
Maybe being located nearer to Bath suits his RAF career ambitions better? Lots of things could make him want to go. If hes going he's going. Mafi is a better player plus we could get more in. We've got Ben Donnell in the academy who is very highly rated too. No one player is bigger than the club.

Mafi is a better player based on what? his you tube clips?

No player is bigger than the club, never would have suggested otherwise. But keep losing your best players to Bath and it hurts. I certainly does not help

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 18:06
Quote:
Narbia
@SixNineOne.
You're new here. Some of us are a little tired of shelling out our hard-earned to provide a stepping stone to BATH Rugby.

You're right,

But my recollection during my 15 years as a season ticket holder is that we co-existed peacefully with Bath until a crass piece of mismanagement on our part sent Toby Booth to Farleigh House, rapidly followed by several of his proteges. Given those connections, it's not surprising they've found our squad to be fertile hunting ground. Rather than blaming Bath, I'd like to see us building an environment where players actively want to stay and, to their credit, the current management seem to be thinking along similar lines.

Narbia (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 19:40
Quote:
SixNineOne
You're right,

But my recollection during my 15 years as a season ticket holder is that we co-existed peacefully with Bath until a crass piece of mismanagement on our part sent Toby Booth to Farleigh House, rapidly followed by several of his proteges. Given those connections, it's not surprising they've found our squad to be fertile hunting ground. Rather than blaming Bath, I'd like to see us building an environment where players actively want to stay and, to their credit, the current management seem to be thinking along similar lines.

I broadly agree with that : not sure I'm apportioning most of the blame at Bath Rugby though.

It's a bizarre thread. Could you imagine the Sarries' forum decrying the departure of a player de-stabilising the club?

I hope you're right in the direction of travel, but we'll see.

I'm not a robot : reCAPTCHA

SirBurger (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 20:14
How is Josh de-stabilising the club?

Narbia (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 20:25
Quote:
SirBurger
How is Josh de-stabilising the club?

He isn't. Read what I said.

Quote:
Me
departure of a player de-stabilising the club
Half the comments on this thread suggest that his departure will be a disaster.

I'm not a robot : reCAPTCHA

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 08:59
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
Jamiepep1
Maybe being located nearer to Bath suits his RAF career ambitions better? Lots of things could make him want to go. If hes going he's going. Mafi is a better player plus we could get more in. We've got Ben Donnell in the academy who is very highly rated too. No one player is bigger than the club.

Mafi is a better player based on what? his you tube clips?

No player is bigger than the club, never would have suggested otherwise. But keep losing your best players to Bath and it hurts. I certainly does not help

Josh: excellent player at championship level and good leader. Played relatively few games in the prem due to his illness last year, although did look very good.

Mafi: Excellent player at top league level in both UK and France. Has played in League finals on numerous occasions. Won leagues. Consistently played in top level European competitions for a numbers of years. Also is a regular international player.

I'm not saying josh isn't great for us but if he leaves and we get mafi in, i do think based on current standings we would be trading up. As said previously i would rather have both in the team.

LLL (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 19:59
Bath offers a lot to an aspirational player versus what we offer, in my view. Stabler record in premiership, a full stadium, beautiful location, Allegedly better opportunities for aspiring England internationals. Stunning city. The transfer system means contracts are - well, are they materially effectively binding? In the players shoes I would switch uk Bath without doubt, if I was good enough to get an offer. Shame for LI, granted, but as I have said here for years (understandably unpopularly) if a competitor offers your staff a genuinely far better package and prospects, most will go. That's why the move to London was mandatory in my opinion. It's the first step to creating a fantastically attractive stronghold to compete as an employer. Great move, I think.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 23:36
Quote:
LLL
Bath offers a lot to an aspirational player versus what we offer, in my view. Stabler record in premiership, a full stadium, beautiful location, Allegedly better opportunities for aspiring England internationals. Stunning city. The transfer system means contracts are - well, are they materially effectively binding? In the players shoes I would switch uk Bath without doubt, if I was good enough to get an offer. Shame for LI, granted, but as I have said here for years (understandably unpopularly) if a competitor offers your staff a genuinely far better package and prospects, most will go. That's why the move to London was mandatory in my opinion. It's the first step to creating a fantastically attractive stronghold to compete as an employer. Great move, I think.

Totally correct, will only lose players to quins then

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 05:59
Quote:
LLL

Well contracts are binding to an extent. He would have gone in the summer by all accounts but had another year to run on his contract with no release clause. Hence he stayed.

Not sure the London move is that relevant. We are already based in London as an employer.

shimmieandshake (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 17:56
Bath have just announced signings of Christian Judge and Mike Williams. Both 2nd row. Maybe influences this? Although on the Bath board they seem to think they'd still be short with departures taken into account.

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 18:16
Isnít Christian Judge a prop?

shimmieandshake (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 18:28
My mistake. Ignore me.

ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 16:54
To be announced tomorrow, if the club had any backbone they'd tell him to pack his locker now.

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 16:54
Neil Fissler has tweeted that Bath is set to announce McNally as a signing tomorrow.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Florida (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 17:03
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
To be announced tomorrow, if the club had any backbone they'd tell him to pack his locker now.

Why? He's contracted until the end of the season.

HMRH (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 17:26
Hope he does well but Bath under Blackadder donít seem to be able to get it right . Shame he is going but it is what it is - get us promoted Josh and thanks for the memories

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 17:32
Coleman would make for a pretty decent replacement

SirBurger (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 18:44
Wouldnít give the slightest if he was off to Sarries or Exeter, or even a few other clubs for that matter. But Bath really donít feel like a club on the rise so quite hard to stomach this one.

diggersadog (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 20:38
Posted last year that McNally was off to Bath ( deal fell through when Atwood didn't move on) Got called a crackpot at the time

Florida (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 13:02
Now officially confirmed

Griff (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 13:48
Bath Offy

Not sure it's a great move for him but good luck mate.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 13:53
Bath baffle me as a club.

Have all the resources, great supporter base, ground, facilities, owner with seemingly unlimited pockets, yet still achieve a grand total of.... Nothing. Just seem content on poaching other teams academy graduates/top players and getting mediocrity back.

Fair play if josh wants to move on. He was never one of our own like, JJ and Garvey were. Wish him the best but if the rumored signings come through we'll be getting more than adequate replacements.

orsoncart (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 14:25
What is really disappointing to me is that McNally moves, and all the guff about K&K, Brentford, making him captain, world class training facilities, club ambition etc etc, had no impact at all.

I don't criticise anyone for furthering what may be a short career, it just worries me that a young, ambitious player doesn't buy it.

I hope that he's moving for cash and that is the only reason

GHA (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 14:35
As long as the guff about K&K, Brentford, world class training facilities and club ambition have an impact on people like Jackson, Coleman, Mafi etc I'm going to try not to worry

Fursa (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 15:14
If he is leaving why has it not being announced as several changes of clubs by players have already been announced.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 15:21
Itís January and weíve had no word of any contract renewals. Is it because we havenít got this season wrapped up (yet?). Bad feeling about jersey, they have nothing to fear and the Nottingham game shows how vulnerable we are.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 15:36
Quote:
Fursa
If he is leaving why has it not being announced as several changes of clubs by players have already been announced.

It has now been announced.

simo112 (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 15:41
Think its more why have Irish not announced his departure yet?

PV (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 16:05
Quote:
simo112
Think its more why have Irish not announced his departure yet?

Itís par and for the new club to do the announcement. What would we expect our club to say?

simo112 (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 16:09
Like most other clubs. Just make a statement that they are leaving I guess like wasps did for Hughes and Le Roux. Maybe Iím just stupid in thinking that it should happen.

21 January, 2019 16:14
If I'm a LI employee dealing with Comms etc, I doubt publishing an article on it would be top of my to do list. As long as leavers are acknowledged at the end of the season, I really don't see the need if it's already announced by the new club.

Florida (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 17:08
Quote:
Margin_Walker
If I'm a LI employee dealing with Comms etc, I doubt publishing an article on it would be top of my to do list. As long as leavers are acknowledged at the end of the season, I really don't see the need if it's already announced by the new club.

Hopefully they don't bury it at the bottom of the awards dinner report

21 January, 2019 17:27
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Yeah, fair point. It was pretty lacklustre last year and late leavers like Ransom didn't get a mention at all. Can certainly do better than that.

Florida (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 18:13
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Yeah, fair point. It was pretty lacklustre last year and late leavers like Ransom didn't get a mention at all. Can certainly do better than that.

To be fair I called them out on it and they replied acknowledging they did a@#$%&job. Although they didn't actually rectify it, still, hopefully this year they'll do better.

Popped over to the Bath board to see what they make of their new signing, apparently he ticks all the right boxes, one of which is he's ex-LI. This is why I despise and will always despise Bath and their fans

Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 18:39
Florida how many players went to Bath prior to Toby Booth moving there any idea ? Ive a feeling you would be able to count them on a couple of fingers only a guess but the path to Bath has been trodden fairly well since he went there.

BathSalmon (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 18:39
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker

To be fair I called them out on it and they replied acknowledging they did a@#$%&job. Although they didn't actually rectify it, still, hopefully this year they'll do better.

Popped over to the Bath board to see what they make of their new signing, apparently he ticks all the right boxes, one of which is he's ex-LI. This is why I despise and will always despise Bath and their fans

That's a real shame to hear Florida. Hopefully that will change over time.

Bill the chip (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 18:42
Have a little 5 mins think to yourself on that one bathsalmon!!!!! The answers REAL close to home....

GHA (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 19:07
Quote:
Florida

I'm no Bath fan either but do you think there's a chance the 'ex-LI' comment might be slightly tongue-in-cheek?

Florida (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 19:41
Quote:
Lincs-Exile
Florida how many players went to Bath prior to Toby Booth moving there any idea ? Ive a feeling you would be able to count them on a couple of fingers only a guess but the path to Bath has been trodden fairly well since he went there.

A well trodden path doesn't make it the right path

Florida (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 19:45
Quote:
BathSalmon
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Indeed, it could start with you not hovering like a bunch of vultures waiting to peck the flesh off of our carcass. I mean seriously, every bloody time we get a player that is half decent your message board swarms like a bunch of piranha about how you should sign them. In the last 2 years there's been Josh and Joe that you've signed, you were also salavating at the idea of signing Johnny W prior to that before you went for Roberts.

Florida (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 19:46
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Florida

I'm no Bath fan either but do you think there's a chance the 'ex-LI' comment might be slightly tongue-in-cheek?

Doubt it.

BathSalmon (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 20:29
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
BathSalmon
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Indeed, it could start with you not hovering like a bunch of vultures waiting to peck the flesh off of our carcass. I mean seriously, every bloody time we get a player that is half decent your message board swarms like a bunch of piranha about how you should sign them. In the last 2 years there's been Josh and Joe that you've signed, you were also salavating at the idea of signing Johnny W prior to that before you went for Roberts.
Yes I can't defend them on that nor do I speak for them.

It is a sad indictment of our academy set up for many years, that we weren't producing our own youth players up to standard. Hoping this will change soon, with the way our under 18s are going this year.

Anyway good luck on the promotion bid.

Florida (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 20:47
Quote:
BathSalmon
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
BathSalmon
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker

It is a sad indictment of our academy set up for many years, that we weren't producing our own youth players up to standard. Hoping this will change soon, with the way our under 18s are going this year.

I know how you feel about the academy. Ours was producing nothing after its heart got ripped out. We then started investing in it again, it took a while and started bearing fruits in the likes of Big Joe and then I'm not sure what happened to him, not seen him in our lineup for a while.

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 21:19
Quote:
BathSalmon
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
BathSalmon
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Weíd better sign up the under 18s on a 10 year contract so Barf donít get a look in.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 00:16
It's really not Bath's fault, it is down to a transfer system in rugby that is not fit for purpose, yes Bath obviously have more funds, a bigger draw and more suppot than they do in creating their own cohesive style of winning rugby to producing a successful team with a soul, yes I know we are in the Championship and they've yet again taken one of our best, but let's just draw a line (until next season)

mackemII (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 12:17
Pleased to see that BBC Sport website responded to my email and replaced the photo of Jake Schatz with a photo of Josh(Sm141)

Steelman (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 14:05
......THE END .
_______

bigbitty (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 15:12
IS NIGH.......

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 14:40
Saw the below on the Barf board. Interesting question.

ďThe Irish move to Reading looked a good one for a while and had it's moments but they seem to lose something along the way. Smith, Catt, O'Shea were all big characters, Woodward was also there for a while. It seems to be a club where you learn your trade and then move on. This applies to coaches and players. Why does nobody want to stay there?Ē.

Wondering why they are reminiscing about our past.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 14:59
Maybe they are weighing up what it will be like when Dyson moves them to Singapore

Steelman (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 16:54
Quote:
Lincs-Exile
Maybe they are weighing up what it will be like when Dyson moves them to Singapore

They could probably be the best club in Singapore.Do you think Bruce might make a similar call soon ? !

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 17:23
Quote:
Steelman
Quote:
Lincs-Exile

They could probably be the best club in Singapore.Do you think Bruce might make a similar call soon ? !

Of course it would be a toss up between them and the Sunwolves who play several of their home matches at the National Stadium in Singapore

LLL (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 07:16
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
LLL

Well contracts are binding to an extent. He would have gone in the summer by all accounts but had another year to run on his contract with no release clause. Hence he stayed.

Not sure the London move is that relevant. We are already based in London as an employer.

Itís about income. Moving to London we aim to increase ticket sales by several multiples. Not about home base of employer.

Oldhillbilly (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 07:18
Need to stop blaming other clubs, if our players wanted to stay with us they would do so. Hopefully The 2 Ks are building a culture that players want to be part of and so are keen to stay. McNally is no loss imho, not premiership standard and never really bought into the LI ethos.

25 January, 2019 07:51
Quote:
Oldhillbilly
Need to stop blaming other clubs, if our players wanted to stay with us they would do so. Hopefully The 2 Ks are building a culture that players want to be part of and so are keen to stay. McNally is no loss imho, not premiership standard and never really bought into the LI ethos.

I actually agree with your first point.

McNally is clearly premiership standard though imo.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net