rugbyunion
Latest News:

Paddy Jackson to LI next season?
ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
14 December, 2018 14:52

Re: Paddy Jackson to LI next season?
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
14 December, 2018 14:57
Apparently we made a golden bridge to attract him in our nets.

Got to love Google translate

Florida (IP Logged)
14 December, 2018 15:47
Quote:
Margin_Walker

I assume we built the golden bridge with the money we're getting from CVC...

plzd (IP Logged)
14 December, 2018 15:50
yea a real classy guy fgs

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
14 December, 2018 15:58
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker

I assume we built the golden bridge with the money we're getting from CVC...

Hopefully.

Seems like it should have been tied up by now and things are still being ironed out. Should hopefully allow us to get a little closer to the salary cap next season if it does go through

Assuming we go up...

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
14 December, 2018 17:04
From a rugby perspective, that would be a terrific signing

HMRH (IP Logged)
14 December, 2018 18:37
From a rugby perspective indeed

paddym (IP Logged)
14 December, 2018 22:44
Quote:
plzd

Found innocent so get over it and go back to trolling elsewhere

John H (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 00:45
He has just lost his case to have his legal fees paid so he will need a lucrative job to pay his debts.

samlee99 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 11:16
Quote:
paddym
Quote:
plzd

Found innocent so get over it and go back to trolling elsewhere

Innocent but a deeply unpleasant human being from what came out at the trial.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/12/2018 11:17 by samlee99.

Dermot66 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 11:47
As a family club, LI need to think seriously about this. Very good rugby player but I believe this would would alienate a lot of our fan base.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 13:18
He might have said some unpleasant things on a private whatsapp thread, but, sadly, nothing out of the ordinary amongst a group of young blokes. Doesn't mean he is a fundamentally bad person, or that all people who say such things on such groups are fundamentally bad. I am sure he regrets what he has said and done and is determined to prove himself on and off the pitch. I see nothing wrong with giving a young, talented player a second chance.

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 10:15
I agree with SirBurger's sentiments. As a family club we should be able to forgive players who are genuinely contrite about their past unsavoury conduct and move on. After all, we shouldn't forget that one of ours was caught up in some unpleasantness while on tour in New Zealand, but because he's showed the right attitude since then he's become one of our most revered long serving players.

cjm. (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 19:23

GHA (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 20:30
I'm all for it, him and Smyler would make a welcome change from no 10s at all...

Bazzo (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 23:25
Would not be for me. Donít actually know if he is that good anyway irrespective of his recent off field problems. Sexton was miles ahead of him and Carbery was always seen as the successor, thatís why they moved him to Munster. Now Byrne and even JJ Hanrahan would be ahead of him. Not sure if Billy Burns is that good now that he is Ulster first choice and Irish qualified. I would say that Jackson would be fourth or fifth choice Irish 10 if he was available to them. I think we can do much better than him.

Florida (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 00:04
Quote:
Bazzo
Would not be for me. Donít actually know if he is that good anyway irrespective of his recent off field problems. Sexton was miles ahead of him and Carbery was always seen as the successor, thatís why they moved him to Munster. Now Byrne and even JJ Hanrahan would be ahead of him. Not sure if Billy Burns is that good now that he is Ulster first choice and Irish qualified. I would say that Jackson would be fourth or fifth choice Irish 10 if he was available to them. I think we can do much better than him.

Bazzo, I generally nod my head with what you say, I might not always agree, but I'll generally see the logic. I have to take umberage with this. Firstly, our history for a decent 10 is shocking, can we really do better? Myler apart of course. Sexton is a class apart from most 10s, post that would the other guys be where they are now had he not been wrapped up in court case? Obviously we'll never know, but just because Ireland have distanced themselves doesn't mean he's a bad player.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 06:38
Before he got himself in trouble Jackson was very clearly Irelandís second best 10. He dropped down the pecking order as he didnít play. He was a very good player. My issue would more be whether he can get back to that level rather than if he was ever that good.

GHA (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 07:22
Fourth or fifth choice Irish 10 isn't to be sniffed at, surely? If we can do 'much better' than fourth or fifth choice Irish 10 you'd be looking at 2nd or 3rd choice Irish 10s, and there aren't many about in that category, certainly not many we could snap up

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 07:39
He started in South Africa and got a win, no way was he fourth choice then. Sexton was never in danger of losing his jersey but heíd be on the bench for Ireland now if he hadnít spent half a year in court.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 09:03
Quote:
SirBurger
Before he got himself in trouble Jackson was very clearly Irelandís second best 10. He dropped down the pecking order as he didnít play. He was a very good player. My issue would more be whether he can get back to that level rather than if he was ever that good.

Believe kidney gave jackson his first Ireland cap so hopefully knows a lot about him and will be able to get him back to his best

Ajax Treesdown (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 14:37
People not wanting to sign Paddy Jackson - amazing.

We probably have some 12 year old kid whose currently playing in the u16's we should focus our attention on instead of Jackson.

GHA (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 14:58
26 years old, 25 fly half caps for Ireland at the same time Jonny Sexton is alive. That's not bad going.

echidna (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 14:59
Quote:
My issue would more be whether he can get back to that level rather than if he was ever that good.

4th highest points scorer in the Top 14 (according to Wikipedia) while playing for Perpignan (Sm125) Sounds pretty good to me!

SirBurger (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 15:01
Quote:
echidna
Quote:
My issue would more be whether he can get back to that level rather than if he was ever that good.

4th highest points scorer in the Top 14 (according to Wikipedia) while playing for Perpignan (Sm125) Sounds pretty good to me!

Fair enough - had read some reports out of France that he hadn't been setting the world on fire, but happy to be corrected. Anyway, hope I am not being counted as not in favour of his signing as I very much am (as I think I made clear earlier on in the thread).

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 15:06
ME 2

GHA (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 15:07
Just need confirmation he's following our twatter account

Star of Down (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 11:39
I'm not sure Paddy gets too involved in social media these days!!

19 December, 2018 11:43
You're still with us then Star. Been a while and hope you are well.

samlee99 (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 13:15
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
People not wanting to sign Paddy Jackson - amazing.
We probably have some 12 year old kid whose currently playing in the u16's we should focus our attention on instead of Jackson.

What a truly bizarre post.

warwick5763 (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 09:49
Quote:
Dermot66
As a family club, LI need to think seriously about this. Very good rugby player but I believe this would would alienate a lot of our fan base.

Agree. When I told my better half about this she said we wont be going to see him. It will be a bigger problem in the premiership.

GHA (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 09:52
We need to consider being a family club against being a semi-successful club

tatthecraic2 (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 10:06
[quote GHA]We need to consider being a family club against being a semi-successful club[/quote

Agree. Rugby needs to come first and you can't sniff at a player would be the JS back up for ireland.

Being worried about being a family club over the actual success and long term sustainability of London Irish clearly see rugby like a movie you go watch.

It's competitive sport. People's jobs and the entity of London Irish ultimately exsists off the back of winning rugby matches.

I said it before. Those who think him not the right kind of person. I'd love if there was the technology to lay bare all the things they've said in their life about rivals, the opposite sex and annoying bosses or neighbours... not one of us would come out looking like a saint... it's shockingly up yourselves to judge him like that. Get off your high horses all you perfect people.

Finally to those who feel it will alienate the fan base or who will no longer attend due to PJ signing. Im pretty sure the club is not too bothered. Moving to Brentford changes A large portion of those people available to watch live LI matches. You'll soon be replaced by new fans.

GHA (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 10:09
*assuming he signs, tatt!

ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 10:39
The extra success we'd get by having a proper top class 10 would attract far more fans than the one or two who would stay away. And if we want the rugby club to continue existing then we need the extra success as well.

RT (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 11:14
Paddy Jackson has paid a very high price for his personal failings. He was the Irish fly half that steered a 14-man team (13-man for 10 mins after Henshaw was Yellow carded) to the first win on South African soil. He would most likely have been on the bench in Chicago and been part of the 2018 Grand Slam squad. The time and costs of the trial will have been enormous.

So did the alleged victim pay a very high price for becoming involved with a group of men who obviously didn't respect her.

Let both sexes, but especially men be alert for their good name. It is not what one says that matters but what one does.

But in my world people do get a chance to show they've changed. If he utters one misogynist joke or places his hands on any woman then could be deemed inappropriate then sling him out.

He is a great player and the right age to play outhalf in the CVC Premiership.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 17:58

norg2072 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 18:59
Great news !

Florida (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 11:17

HMRH (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 12:49
Anyone know the source of the extra investment over and above the CVC offer?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net