rugbyunion
Latest News:

Pirates game
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 13:36
Live on Pirates Facebook page. An unexpected bonus.

currently 5 - 7

We're playing into a howling gale at the moment and conditions are filthy. Williams with a strong try coming in from his wing, had no right to score it

Re: Pirates game
15 December, 2018 13:43
12 - 7 with LI struggling to make any progress

Pirates miss a pen from in front

Florida (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 14:00
It's pretty woeful from us right now, seem to be lacking the energy we had in the last couple of games. Coming up for half time, hoping they get a rocket up their @#$%&.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 14:10
Hopefully an improved second half performance as we should have the wind at our backs

Horticbm (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 14:12
No different in our for years....the only thing that will improve our play is a beneficial bank account

15 December, 2018 14:17
Not great, but would probably judge the game at full time.

Playing on a bog into a howling wind that takes kicking almost entirely out of the equation. Certainly need a big half though.

Horticbm (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 14:25
Playing the same rubbish as normal...

Horticbm (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 14:31
Nothing changes...19-7 to PIRATES

Florida (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 14:33
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Playing on a bog into a howling wind that takes kicking almost entirely out of the equation. Certainly need a big half though.

We need to get our hands on the ball and we need to keep hold of it. If we can't do that, which we seem to be struggling to do so far this half then the wind won't make much difference.

15 December, 2018 14:36
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker

We need to get our hands on the ball and we need to keep hold of it. If we can't do that, which we seem to be struggling to do so far this half then the wind won't make much difference.

Oh for sure. Not going to win the game without the ball and Pirates good for the lead

Florida (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 14:41
Pirates defense doing to us what we did to Bedford a couple of weeks back. I think pirates have made more meters defending than we have attacking 🤨

Florida (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 14:56
Beautiful run from Williams, lost forward. Says it all really.

15 December, 2018 14:58
Quote:
Florida

Pretty much the only thing to have come out of the game is his performance. So hard to put down for a relatively small bloke.

Yeoman (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 14:58
Blair Cowan red-carded for high tackle.

Florida (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 15:03
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
Florida

Pretty much the only thing to have come out of the game is his performance. So hard to put down for a relatively small bloke.

If Bedford and Hartpury were steps forwards, this performance is a couple of significant steps back. It will be interesting to see what Les / Dec say post match.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 15:03
A pretty dire performance really, we looked like a team who had never played together to be honest. Totally disinterested.
On a more positive note, Williams must start, very dangerous ball in hand

Horticbm (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 15:04
Just a same old rubbish as over the seasons have produced

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 15:12
The game was streamed on Facebook. This was the worst performance this season imo. We didn’t have a clue. Aimless kicking. Dropped balls. The pitch was muddy but this cannot be the excuse. It’s an old school pitch. We need to up our game for the fixture in March big time.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Horticbm (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 15:16
Only another 15 new players we might have a team

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 15:19
Quote:
Exile_Dave
The game was streamed on Facebook. This was the worst performance this season imo. We didn’t have a clue. Aimless kicking. Dropped balls. The pitch was muddy but this cannot be the excuse. It’s an old school pitch. We need to up our game for the fixture in March big time.

Comfortably our worst performance of the season, I'd even goes as far as saying that was one of the worst performances I've seen in the past few years. To be honest we look our best when our academy lads play, Williams, Loader, parton and Curtis-harris should all start imo

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 15:25
Quote:
Smudge21
Quote:
Exile_Dave

Comfortably our worst performance of the season, I'd even goes as far as saying that was one of the worst performances I've seen in the past few years. To be honest we look our best when our academy lads play, Williams, Loader, parton and Curtis-harris should all start imo

Williams butchered a certain try. The Caliber of the team today should have ripped pirates apart, instead the took full advantage and did a job on us.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

15 December, 2018 15:30
Quote:
Exile_Dave
Quote:
Smudge21
Quote:
Exile_Dave

Williams butchered a certain try. The Caliber of the team today should have ripped pirates apart, instead the took full advantage and did a job on us.

Williams went the length of the field beating 4 or 5 Pirates players before putting the last offload behind the man. I'll let him off on that one, especially after scoring the try he had no right to score in the first half.

Overall though it was an incredibly poor performance, regardless of the conditions

tatthecraic2 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 16:12
Mckibben tonks and McLean should be taken out behind the barn... That was embarrassing.

I'm a fan who doesn't put London Irish above it's station. We are a championship side and we are where we deserve to be. I try not to think what even our best performances in the championship would get us in the premiership... but that honestly looks like my team that I play in out there today... amateur, low level, disinterested hungover lads dreaming of the bar at the end of the game...

Thought Blair looked hungry I'm defense though

Florida (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 16:18
Quote:
tatthecraic2
Mckibben tonks and McLean should be taken out behind the barn... That was embarrassing.
I'm a fan who doesn't put London Irish above it's station. We are a championship side and we are where we deserve to be. I try not to think what even our best performances in the championship would get us in the premiership... but that honestly looks like my team that I play in out there today... amateur, low level, disinterested hungover lads dreaming of the bar at the end of the game...

Thought Blair looked hungry I'm defense though

I think you're being a bit hard on Tonks today, what with him not playing and all that.

tatthecraic2 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 17:25
Ha! No idea why I said Tonks. Obviously in a blind rage after the game and wanting to blame everyone (y)

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 17:26
We still don’t seem to have come up with a style of play that everyone can work to. It’s been said that kidney likes players to figure out things for themselves, but that only works when you’re working with a team full of internationals like he had at munster. The players seem like they need one plan to work to. There’s been nothing to suggest we’d be any better in the prem if we got promoted, worse in fact given the players we’ve lost.
I agree that we seem to have more aggression and go forward when we have some of the younger lads playing. I’d have Williams and Loader on the wings with Ojo covering 15 when we’re back to league games

Shawshank (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 17:55
I didn’t see the game but plenty of teams struggle down at the Mennaye, and on a filthy day on a heavy pitch there was always a good chance of a local smash and grab raid on the City Slickers.

On a more general point though, to me the only backs who have showed much penetration this season have been Parton, Williams and Loader. We seem bereft of pace otherwise.

Guys like Tonksy and McLean are ‘Steady Eddies’ in the Championship, but that won’t cut it if we get promoted, as last season proved.

And just like last time we mauled The Championship to death, a decent rolling maul is not enough to keep us if we step up to the Premiership

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 18:15
Quote:
Shawshank
I didn’t see the game but plenty of teams struggle down at the Mennaye, and on a filthy day on a heavy pitch there was always a good chance of a local smash and grab raid on the City Slickers.
On a more general point though, to me the only backs who have showed much penetration this season have been Parton, Williams and Loader. We seem bereft of pace otherwise.

Guys like Tonksy and McLean are ‘Steady Eddies’ in the Championship, but that won’t cut it if we get promoted, as last season proved.

And just like last time we mauled The Championship to death, a decent rolling maul is not enough to keep us if we step up to the Premiership

Exactly right, k&k need to put faith in the younger lads as for me they are our best shot of staying up in the premiership IF we get there of course

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 18:28
Quote:
jimbo800
It’s been said that kidney likes players to figure out things for themselves, but that only works when you’re working with a team full of internationals like he had at munster.

Strangely enough, having done my Level 2 Coaching qualification earlier in the year, that’s a lot how England Rugby see it too...

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 18:32
We are the third best qualifier for the quarter finals and Pirates are the fifth best. If I've understood the competition format correctly, that means we'll be playing Coventry at home in the quarter finals at the beginning of February and Pirates will be playing Yorkshire Carnegie at Headingley. If all goes to plan (!) we could meet Pirates again in the semis on the weekend of 23/24 February - not sure if that would be home or away. So that may be our next chance to right today's wrong, before we (hopefully) smash them in the league in March...

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 19:09
Quote:
SixNineOne
We are the third best qualifier for the quarter finals and Pirates are the fifth best. If I've understood the competition format correctly, that means we'll be playing Coventry at home in the quarter finals at the beginning of February and Pirates will be playing Yorkshire Carnegie at Headingley. If all goes to plan (!) we could meet Pirates again in the semis on the weekend of 23/24 February - not sure if that would be home or away. So that may be our next chance to right today's wrong, before we (hopefully) smash them in the league in March...

We should have “smashed” them today with the team we had. But we didn’t. Totally embarrassing.

15 December, 2018 19:36
A few backs getting a shoeing on the thread (mostly justified). In reality though, on a day like today it's the forwards that really needed to step up and that just didn't happen.

Edit - also a word for Pirates ball retention which was superb in the conditions and key to winning the match.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/12/2018 19:37 by Margin_Walker.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 21:26
691 - Even though we got fewer points than Jersey, because we won our pool and they finished second I think we qualify as second best team.

This would mean we play at home in the quarterfinals against the 7th best qualifier, being Bedford.

If we win that we then play at home in the semis against the winner of Yorkshire v Pirates.

I think...

Shawshank (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 21:30
BTW - you would hope that the knock out games will be free for ST holders.

If not I can’t see more than 600 or so attending, which would be v embarrassing.

15 December, 2018 21:34
Quote:
Shawshank
691 - Even though we got fewer points than Jersey, because we won our pool and they finished second I think we qualify as second best team.
This would mean we play at home in the quarterfinals against the 7th best qualifier, being Bedford.

If we win that we then play at home in the semis against the winner of Yorkshire v Pirates.

I think...

Is there not something saying we can't be drawn against a team in our pool in the first knockout stage?

Hope so, as it would be a little dull playing Bedford again

ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
15 December, 2018 22:49
At this point I blame the Madjeski. Nothing but pain for any team based there, I wish that my teams would get their act together.

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 10:06
MW, I think you're right about us not being drawn against a team from our pool, but I don't know what the rules say about rearranging the draw to accommodate this. Whatever happens, it seems likely that we'll be at home against a midlands team wearing blue shirts...

Jonny_C (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 10:07
Championship bullies - Premiership fodder

CharlieG (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 13:32
According to [en.wikipedia.org] , the order of seeds is:

1 Ealing Trailfinders
2 London Irish
3 Yorkshire Carnegie
4 Jersey Reds
5 Cornish Pirates
6 Coventry
7 Bedford Blues
8 Nottingham

This suggests that we should play Bedford, but we were in the same pool, and Carnegie should play Coventry, but again they were in the same pool.

No probs for Ealing vs Notts, or Reds vs Pirates.

So the sensible thing would be Irish vs Coventry and Carnegie vs Bedford. But then again, this is rugby, so who knows . . .

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 14:05
Quote:
Jonny_C
Championship bullies - Premiership fodder
Sadly, I don't disagree with the Premiership fodder description but I think giving us the bullies moniker is a bit harsh. The nature of the Championship is that there will always be a Premiership relegatee playing in the league with a squad depth and finances that give them an advantage. This is one of the many reasons why the current structure needs to be looked at.

JamesC (IP Logged)
16 December, 2018 15:36
Hopefully yesterday was useful prep for the league match in a few months time as that is the one that counts.

Agree with everything that Shawshank has written - inc the STH suggestion.

RuckingBrilliant (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 03:20
Without doubt it was a shocking game. The attitude of the majority of senior players in the starting XV was appalling with most heads already thinking about the upcoming social. I hope that heads will roll and the management team takes some form of action. Yes it was a Cup game and yes it was muddy and raining and not nice but I wish that they had acted like the professionals that they are purported to be. A disgrace to the club in general.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 08:12
Finishing the league with a loss to Jersey and then the last Cup game to Pirates (both away games) does not show any good signs to me. That team are more than capable of winning those games, it shows complacency and a lack of focus. It also says a lot about the management as well. Should not be happening.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 09:13
There’s been a lack of intensity at the club for a while. When you hear players talk about training at sarries and Tigers of old, they’d regularly say that training was harder than a lot of the games they play in. Lewington mentioned training at sarries and how you can feel the difference, everyone is fighting each other for places.

As a club I think we’re ‘soft’. We’ve lacked that killer instinct, and we hand out contract renewals to too many players who haven’t improved us or ever will improve us. Clubs like tigers never had an issue with letting players go once they got the best out of them, no sentiment at all.

I’m not seeing the management impact that I’d hoped for. The grittiness and professionalism needed at this level still isn’t there.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 11:38
Compared with this time 2 seasons ago I think we are doing a better job.

Our pack is definitely better - we were often pushed around in the scrum last time, whilst we have been on top against most scrums this time round, the line-out is better, and the rolling maul is at least as effective.

Considering the three 'class' players we have lost (Lewi, Joe and Marshall) our backs are holding their own - esp. the youngsters.

But a lack of intensity eg. we should have absolutely smashed and blown away Hartpury in the last 20 mins but they actually looked better in that period than we did - and then this weekend - suggest that there is still a lack of a 'steely core' to the whole club.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 12:00
Quote:
jimbo800
There’s been a lack of intensity at the club for a while. When you hear players talk about training at sarries and Tigers of old, they’d regularly say that training was harder than a lot of the games they play in. Lewington mentioned training at sarries and how you can feel the difference, everyone is fighting each other for places.
As a club I think we’re ‘soft’. We’ve lacked that killer instinct, and we hand out contract renewals to too many players who haven’t improved us or ever will improve us. Clubs like tigers never had an issue with letting players go once they got the best out of them, no sentiment at all.

I’m not seeing the management impact that I’d hoped for. The grittiness and professionalism needed at this level still isn’t there.

When you have a squad the size and quality of Saracens the intensity can increase in training as there is a healthy competition for places in the team, this wasn't always the case at Saracens but it was at Tigers up until they sacked Cockers, it probably is not so intensive now at Tigers judging by the way they are playing of late.
The trouble is there is no time to develop a team, as the jump from playing in a league where you might lose two or three away games tops in a season to a league where you might not win any games at all in a season is too great.
There is no chance of learning by mistakes because as soon as a team is relegated it brings in new management who make the same mistakes again, like it or not Nick Kennedy has got more experience of the championship and premiership than K&K, I'm not advocating bringing him back, but I smell the beginnings of a sack the bosses approach, which is not the answer, as we will be back to square 1.

17 December, 2018 12:05
I think by pretty much every metric we're doing worse than this point two years ago. For a start we were unbeaten in all competitions at this stage.

Will go out on a limb and guess we have less TBPs and a lower points difference as well. Don't have the figures to hand though so may be wrong on that.

Definitely work to do

Steelman (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 16:06
the crazy thing is,in every other place of employment,if you can't justify you're
salary/wages its p45 time. Absolutely no one is carried for another year. We are just so over staffed with average players,and yet lend out the youngsters to all and sundry.
Cut the jobs and fill the gaps with the kids.Its realistic,hard nosed but sends a clearer message to the squad in general.This club is wallowing in mediocrity.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 17:26
Who out of the current squad would you release?
Saulo
McLean
Tonks
Mckibbin
Coman (good player but injury prone)
Gilsenan
Schatz
Topsy

That's off the top of my head but there must be more

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 18:13
Quote:
Smudge21
Who out of the current squad would you release?
Saulo
McLean
Tonks
Mckibbin
Coman (good player but injury prone)
Gilsenan
Schatz
Topsy

That's off the top of my head but there must be more

I did a squad list for next season a little while ago with opinions on who stays and goes alongside a lot of guesses contract lengths. It was fairly cut throat, but it was needed.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 18:13
Tom Fowlie hasn’t really ever made his mark.

It’s also a pretty brutal thing to write but TBC could be added to the list. You just have to accept that some guys are not ‘made’ physically robust enough to play pro rugby, whereas some guys (eg. Alex Waller) are constitutionally indestructible.

I’d also cut Nalaga adrift as we are unlikely to get much ROI of him now...

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 19:31
Agreed about TBC however would keep fowlie

Steelman (IP Logged)
17 December, 2018 20:06
Tom Fowlie escapes the cut ,just by remaining fit, some players are just damned unlucky
With injuries ,and never surround with unlucky if you want success. Brutal but true.
TBC has lived the dream and will be a winner in his next career.But these are graduates from our academy, rather them than overpaid unproven punts from the other side of the globe.Some have been so sick note,that final written warnings should have been sent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net