Brentford move confirmed
AlecW (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 07:24
Just had an email from the club!

Re: Brentford move confirmed
AlecW (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 07:26
Further to this, Q&A before the game on the 13th:

If you would like to talk to us in person then we will be having a discussion forum before our next home Championship match against Richmond on Sunday, January 13th, in the Club Room at the Madejski Stadium between 1:30pm and 2:30pm.

RodB (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 07:40
Shame the links to register your interest don't work......

AlecW (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 07:53
Worked for me...!?

PV (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 07:55
Big shout!

Chris Wearmouth (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 07:56
Quote:
RodB
Shame the links to register your interest don't work......

Thanks for posting this comment - we've just double-checked it at the club and the form is working. If you scroll up hopefully you'll see the confirmation

RodB (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 08:05
Didnt spot the little red box arrow right at the bottom of the screeen.. oops.

HMRH (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 08:15
Always going to happen - doesnít sound like we have a financial stake in the ground though? Sure thereís a revenue model in there and be interested to understand more of it

18 December, 2018 08:17
Quote:
RodB
Didnt spot the little red box arrow right at the bottom of the screeen.. oops.

Don't worry - it is early in the morning!! Thanks for registering

Shawshank (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 08:56
Whichever league we're in next season at the Madstad, they will have to reduce the cost of ST tickets to try to keep the last meagre bunch of us 'disenfranchised' Reading4 from drifting away...

GHA (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 09:06
Takes me an hour to drive to Reading, will take an hour by public transport to get to Brentford. Cheap season tickets would be nice next year, you'd hope they'd thrown in the offer of buy a season ticket next year, get half price on an equivalent seat for Brentford the year after or something

I just hope they get rid of sh*t corner and other embarrassments

Narbia (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 09:10
So long London Irish - it's been a joy (mostly) for the last two decades. Adios amigo!

I'm not a robot : reCAPTCHA

GHA (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 09:15
Is Crossrail going to be much help to the Reading 4?

Shawshank (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 09:26
GHA - I suspect more in terms of frequency rather than speed - looks like 2 Crossrail off-peak trains per hour (ie. 4 trains per hour in total) from Reading to Ealing Broadway.

Probably be the same approx. 50 mins journey time as the new GWR electric rolling stock takes.

18 December, 2018 09:27
Quote:
HMRH
Always going to happen - doesnít sound like we have a financial stake in the ground though? Sure thereís a revenue model in there and be interested to understand more of it

We canít go into specifics, obviously, but suffice to say weíre moving on good commercial terms that will help to underpin the future growth of the club

HMRH (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 09:36
Thanks Chris - good to have commentary on the site from the club

jhnnyi (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 09:45
Let's hope they ringfence in season 19/20 or else we run the risk of kicking off season 20/21 in the Championship! Hardly going to help build the supporter base we're obviously hoping for to make this move viable.

Derby Irish Fan (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 10:43
as one who travels over 140miles to home games as a season ticket holder, the feel of reading is like a morgue at times but this move as long as I can park near will be something exciting to look forward to

18 December, 2018 10:58
Quote:
HMRH

No worries! Open communications with supporters is an important part of the process. Hopefully see you in person on the 13th before the Richmond game

waltham (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 11:14
Quote:
Chris Wearmouth
Quote:
HMRH

No worries! Open communications with supporters is an important part of the process. Hopefully see you in person on the 13th before the Richmond game

Hi Chris: I'm guessing you have been taken on by Brian F. having worked together at Saints - Is that right? - It's just that I don't see your name listed on the LI site.

Is this you? - Wearmouth Communications

(Sm128)

GHA (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 11:26
Welcome to the weird not-so-wide world of this message board, Chris

Heaf (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 12:05
Quote:
Derby Irish Fan
as one who travels over 140miles to home games as a season ticket holder, the feel of reading is like a morgue at times but this move as long as I can park near will be something exciting to look forward to

Unfortunately I believe parking is likely to be a bit challenging ...

waltham (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 12:10
Quote:
Heaf
Quote:
Derby Irish Fan

Unfortunately I believe parking is likely to be a bit challenging ...

Take a look through this for some indication of Parking etc actually "at" the ground. Paragraph 4.8 is helpful:
Lionel Road Planning 2017

Paul_D (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 12:18
If you listen to the interview with Brian Facer on the offy he says "there will be plenty of car parking for everybody"

cjm. (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 12:28
I think the gist is probably better use public transport and walking. 210 spaces for a 20000 stadium is a joke. Hopefully there are lots of industrial estate business looking to make a few bob on a Sunday.

HMRH (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 12:31
Of vital importance - will the beers will be decent and served at a pace most people consider acceptable vs cold, coloured water masquerading as £x worth of lager served in the half after you started queuing?

AlecW (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 12:44
HMRH - (Sm42)

Sunbury bumkin (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 13:06
Whilst supplier proximity is seldom a primary commercial consideration, the Fullers brewery is less than two miles from Lionel Road South. Just saying......and hoping that someone with marketing/commercial 'clout' at Brentford FC/L.I. might possibly be looking in.

echidna (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 13:11
Quote:
Fullers brewery is less than two miles from Lionel Road South

London Irish, London Pride (Sm128)

Clontarf (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 13:20
As one of the Reading 4 although I live in Reading 1, I'll certainly make the trip. Whether I renew my season ticket or just buy for individual games will be determined by the time it takes to get there and, as mentioned before, the quality of the bars and beers and grub and of course the atmosphere

Luton Irish (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 13:29
Quote:
Sunbury bumkin
Whilst supplier proximity is seldom a primary commercial consideration, the Fullers brewery is less than two miles from Lionel Road South. Just saying......and hoping that someone with marketing/commercial 'clout' at Brentford FC/L.I. might possibly be looking in.

Fillers London Pride is a sponsor on Brentford's Website so hopefully the marketing department at Irish will look at sponsorship from Fullers and Brenfords main sponsor Leo Vegas and other sponsors.

Hopefully the start off a new beginning for London Irish

Alan_K (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 13:29
Already Brentford FC's "Official Premium Ale Partner"

Sunbury bumkin (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 13:33
Quote:
Alan_K
Already Brentford FC's "Official Premium Ale Partner"

Today just keeps on giving!

Heaf (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 13:45
Quote:
Paul_D
If you listen to the interview with Brian Facer on the offy he says "there will be plenty of car parking for everybody"

hmmm - maybe he has a cunning plan then as 210 spaces isn't going to go far ...

Dan-R43 (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 13:49
Quote:
Heaf
Quote:
Paul_D

hmmm - maybe he has a cunning plan then as 210 spaces isn't going to go far ...

Around 1,000 parking spaces 'close to the stadium' according to the F&Q's

[www.backintown.london]

Bazzo (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 14:37
Quote:
Chris Wearmouth
Quote:
HMRH

Should i know who this guy is??

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 14:43
Does this mean we will be known as the 'Not'as we will be back in London?

Nick4219 (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 15:44
I can see why the management wants to move back, but, unfortunately I wonít be able to get to home games. With two young boys under 4, anything from a 2 hour and 20 to 2 hour and 40 minutes train journey each way (with changes) itís not worth a 5 hour train journey with youngsters and all the things needed to keep them warm and fed/entertained at a game for an 80 minutes of rugby.

Will have to get my live fix of top rugby from Northampton as itís now the closest Premiership outfit to me. Will always be a fan of Irish but canít afford to go and watch Home games with the costs and time involved in trying to get there.

18 December, 2018 16:49
Quote:
waltham
Quote:
Chris Wearmouth
Quote:
HMRH

Hi Chris: I'm guessing you have been taken on by Brian F. having worked together at Saints - Is that right? - It's just that I don't see your name listed on the LI site.

(Sm128)

Yes, that's me - I'm working with the club on this project, which I'm delighted to be doing. Irish is a great club that has been very welcoming, and the future is very exciting.

GHA (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 17:58
Are you in charge of the #Godforesaken hashtags?

orsoncart (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 19:37
As another member of the Reading 4, it will entirely depend upon whether there is reasonably priced carparking there. Public transport is way too difficult, imagine Sunday and evening games, so, it will have to be a drive.

Said this to Bob Casey eons ago, the club needs to start talking, and trying to retain current R4 supporters- more sensible than letting them drift away and trying to recruit new supporters from West London. It's been extremely poor at engaging Reading supporters over last 2-3 years. Commercially I'm guessing that it will need to do both

sweetas (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 20:39
Likewise Orsoncart, parking will be a factor as public transport is a definite no especially on Sundays, we did a Ďtrial runí earlier this year, not good. Intrigued as to the research done, our family have never been asked our thoughts on any move, although weíve been st holders at Reading since LI moved there.

HMRH (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 21:25
Weíre from Reading and will go to Brentford. Trains ok and tbh less time in a pub and more on a train. Worse case we take it in turns to drive.

Better than London to Wycombe to Coventry

The Irish diaspora- letís be having you - thatís where my doubts sit

Finno (IP Logged)
18 December, 2018 22:33
Without trying to offend anyone, all that's happening here is that in some ways positions have been reversed.

Over the last 18 years, many (probably half) our supporters have had to travel long distances to support our club, from London, most of the Home Counties and wider afield (I travel from West Sussex). Whereas the Reading 4 have had to travel 'up the road'

I would urge the Reading 4 brigade to show the same level of support to the club as everyone else has over the last 18 years !

Yes, it might take a little longer and cost a little more, but....guess what, that's what a lot of us have being doing for years !

redhanded (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 01:36
I live near to the new stadium site and people can pretty well forget about trying to park in residential streets within walking distance.

Most streets already have controlled parking (although not currently covering weekends) and I expect days of operation will be extended and streets that aren't CPZs soon will be if any number of cars start parking there because of people going to the stadium.

Maybe they will arrange a park and ride.

Brentford FC have quarterly meetings with local residents to update people on the stadium progress and the next meeting in the new year will be covering transport arrangements in more detail so I should find out more then.

orsoncart (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 06:15
Quote:
Finno
Without trying to offend anyone, all that's happening here is that in some ways positions have been reversed.
Over the last 18 years, many (probably half) our supporters have had to travel long distances to support our club, from London, most of the Home Counties and wider afield (I travel from West Sussex). Whereas the Reading 4 have had to travel 'up the road'

I would urge the Reading 4 brigade to show the same level of support to the club as everyone else has over the last 18 years !

Yes, it might take a little longer and cost a little more, but....guess what, that's what a lot of us have being doing for years !

It's not really an issue of whether to support or not, it's more a practical issue of whether you can park, which you obviously can at Reading. Otherwise games on Sunday and the return journey in the evenings become a nightmare and probably a no-go

GHA (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 09:20
I think the Reading 4 might need to start considering alternatives to driving, what with the focus these days being on sustainable transport (not to mention the cost of land in London - why would Brentford spend money on car parking) especially in London with its high levels of public transport

Might not be helpful but just saying

I also agree with Finno, the Reading 4 who can't get to games any more are similar to the London 4 when we decided to move to Reading all those years ago

Heaf (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 09:32
To be fair it's not quite the same as the London 4 as parking has always been an option in Reading and I can fully appreciate why public transport just isn't an option for some ... of course I also appreciate why the London 4 would have been equally as fed up when LI moved then - I'm sure both moves were considered in the best interests of the club at the time and there are always going to be some happy and some unhappy when these things happen ...

redhanded (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 09:50
AFAIK LB Hounslow hasn't yet granted planning permission for the stadium to be used for rugby (although I think it will be a formality).

I think the planning permission will need to include a travel plan from L Irish showing how they expect people to travel to games and the measures to support this. This will probably be heavily based upon what Brentford have said, such as providing marshalling at Gunnersbury station.

Brentford FC haven't yet provided details if and where they are providing park and ride but my guess is they will want to keep traffic away from the N and S Circular. Maybe around J3 of the M4.

redhanded (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 09:59
Apologies... it seems that planning permission has been granted for rugby but I couldn't find a travel plan from London Irish. Maybe they said it will be the same as Brentford.

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 10:09
A document I read said that a "further 1,000 off-site car parking spaces controlled by the club are proposed". It wasn't clear whether this was local (ie walking distance) parking or referred to park and ride arrangements. It seems likely, though, that some thought is being given to this issue by the club and we may hear more during the Q&A session.

redhanded (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 10:19
I can't think of anywhere within walking distance that could fit that number of cars (it would be an area equivalent to about 3 football pitches)

Land is too valuable in large parts of London to have lots of space for low yield use like car parking.

Maybe park and ride from some of the industrial estates or offices further out.

Narbia (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 12:23
Whilst I kind of agree with Finno's point above, it should be added that in the move from the Stoop to the Madejski Stadium, the crowds were very much greater than the 2 or 3 thousands we get today.

The London 4000 is not comparable with the Reading 4.

IMHO, there is no future at the Madstad for such small crowds. I doubt it's financially viable.

I'm not a robot : reCAPTCHA

Shawshank (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 12:59
Redhanded - thanks for the local info.

Is there a bus from Ealing Broadway Station to near the Stadium?

redhanded (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 13:29
Yes, 65 bus from Ealing Broadway stops at Kew Bridge which is about 5 mins walk from the stadium (passing one pub). Journey from Ealing is about 20-25 mins depending on traffic.

Or, another option from Ealing is District line to Chiswick Park and it is about 20 mins walk from there (or get a bus) however they are building a footbridge by Chiswick Park and that should save a few minutes walk. A few pubs en route.

It is less than 10 mins from Ealing Broadway to Chiswick Park on the tube.

Ealing Broadway to Acton Town (which is the stop before Chiswick Park) is also possible but I think the walk is slightly longer and it is alongside the delightful N Circular.

AlecW (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 14:26
redhanded - Gunnersbury (also District Line) is even closer than Chiswick Park - about 10 mins...!

redhanded (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 14:42
yes but Gunnersbury is on the District line Richmond branch so someone coming from Ealing would need to go to Turnham Green then change platforms for a Richmond train. It is quicker to get off at Chiswick Park and walk.

I was just listing options from Ealing but depending where people are coming from District line to Gunnersbury, Overground to Gunnersbury, SW Trains to Kew Bridge, buses or even Piccadilly line to Acton TOwn may be better public transport options.

The CS9 cycle superhighway will be going past the stadium too!

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 14:56
Just down the road from the new stadium there is one of the biggest car parks in the country (a.k.a. Heathrow) I don't know if it would be possible to negotiate the use of some of their facilities for match day park & ride!

SirBurger (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 15:44
For those coming from North/East London, the overground runs all the way from Stratford to Gunnersbury. Will be what I plan on doing.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 16:04
Could you not park at Hazelwood and run buses?

Bazzo (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 16:04
Could you not park at Hazelwood and run buses?

norg2072 (IP Logged)
19 December, 2018 19:57
Hazelwood doesnít have much car parking space due to the planning rules that had to be agreed to stop noise impacting the graveyard next door so itís more likely to be at Kempton park.

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 08:17
Presumably a sponsor is being sought to name the stadium, not least because 'The Brentford Community Stadium' does sound a little dull. Does anyone have any intel on this? I just hope it is a brand we can be proud to be associated with and not some online betting company...

redhanded (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 08:34
Brentford have announced they are looking for naming rights but I'm guessing all discussions are behind closed doors at the moment. From October:

"We will be in the market for a naming rights partner. It is a commercial reality and we need the stadium to make as much money as possible. It is important we find a naming rights partner that sits with the values of the club."

The other thing they'll be doing is trying to flog the flats on the stadium site as this is paying for the stadium (its really a residential property development with a stadium attached... )

The flats will be marketed with some sort of reference to "Kew" as that sounds posher than Brentford.

[ecoworldlondon.com]

Despriarno (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 15:05
Quote:
SixNineOne
Presumably a sponsor is being sought to name the stadium, not least because 'The Brentford Community Stadium' does sound a little dull. Does anyone have any intel on this? I just hope it is a brand we can be proud to be associated with and not some online betting company...

How about "Poo Stadium"

(Sm159)

Nick4219 (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 06:07
Quote:
SixNineOne
Just down the road from the new stadium there is one of the biggest car parks in the country (a.k.a. Heathrow) I don't know if it would be possible to negotiate the use of some of their facilities for match day park & ride!

I canít see this happening, parking charges at the airport are astronomically priced for paying customers, and I wouldnít think the airport authorities would go out of their way to find parking space for a few hundred cars on one day of the week. Coupled with the expansion plans, there is very little available space for anything other than airport related expansion.

Horticbm (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 15:49
Nice to see Irish returning back to London..unlike `wasps and Saracens who will sell themselves for a packet of crisps..or 2

GHA (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 18:01
Quote:
Horticbm
Nice to see Irish returning back to London..unlike `wasps and Saracens who will sell themselves for a packet of crisps..or 2

I hate Saracens as much as the next person but you realise they play in the London Borough of Barnet

millhillexile (IP Logged)
23 December, 2018 08:59
As someone who makes the trip from Nth London, I can confirm Saracens are definitely in London btw, I do sympathise with my Reading friends. Every home game for me is actually an ďawayĒ game and the fastest I have ever done it is 11/2 hour door to door by car. By train double it.Its the time you lose when you have to do 3 changes as I have to. The move to Brentford is not great for me travel wise, as transport in London is geared to going in and not around the city. However I will be able to use public transport to Gunnersbury.I do think there are fans of Irish in London but they canít be bothered to make the trip to Reading except for the odd occasion and treat it as a novelty.
My worry is we get promotion but by the time of the move we get relegated again and we are back where we started,just in another stadium.
However all this is for the future, we have time to get the playing side sorted and push on to become a bigger club than we currently are. Sometimes change has to be made however painful for some.

waltham (IP Logged)
28 December, 2018 16:50
Quote:
Chris Wearmouth
Quote:
waltham
Quote:
Chris Wearmouth
Quote:
HMRH

(Sm128)

Yes, that's me - I'm working with the club on this project, which I'm delighted to be doing. Irish is a great club that has been very welcoming, and the future is very exciting.

Cheers Chris (Sm152)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net