rugbyunion
Latest News:

Home for the CVC money?
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 07:26
So where are we spending our money then?

I guess we're in a different position to the majority of clubs that will already be spending to the salary cap next year. As such we are likely to spend to get a bit closer to the cap in the medium term to hopefully be more competitive than we were last time (assuming we actually go up)

Probably no coincidence that the Brentford move was also announced this week. Could we have gone in financially on some kind of operating entity to gain a long term interest in the income streams there?

Backroom staff. Assume things have been pretty lean behind the scenes. Certainly an opportunity to spend a few quid on support staff where it will add value

Academy. A fairly obvious one, but we need to really take advantage of the decent catchment area we have now with the addition of Middlesex a few years ago.

Re: Home for the CVC money?
GHA (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 08:07
I just hope the general level of all our signings goes up

A James O'Connor signing would be great but I'd rather have three top players than one superstar player

Although I wonder if we will actually see any noticeable difference coming from a result of the cash

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 09:10
Everything depends on ringfencing. If they shut the door with 13 teams then there wonít be the need to blow all the cash trying to avoid relegation. If itís ringfenced we can focus on long term deals for our youngsters.

20 December, 2018 09:16
Quote:
jimbo800
Everything depends on ringfencing. If they shut the door with 13 teams then there wonít be the need to blow all the cash trying to avoid relegation. If itís ringfenced we can focus on long term deals for our youngsters.

Yep, ringfencing would really take the pressure off and allow us to best attempt to achieve a level of sustainability.

And if young players on long term contracts (like Williams and Cokanasiga) were to leave, we'd stand a better chance of actually benefiting financially with compensation/transfer payments. As it was, they could just walk as a result of the relegation clauses.

ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 10:40
Hopefully we wouldn't blow it on short term stuff like signings, Bristol have shown how expensive it is. Hopefully most of the £18m would go towards getting a decent share of Brentford's stadium.

GHA (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 10:56
Is the money just being split evenly like that? Surely Premiership Rugby or whoever are getting a big ol' chunk

Florida (IP Logged)
20 December, 2018 19:54
Reports I've read suggest clubs will get between 15 and 18 million each. If it's 15 each, that would leave 35m.

Backroom staff are key for me, an attack coach being number one priority.

Florida (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 11:11
Our offy confirm money for clubs and money for PRL

"The partnership will facilitate major investment into individual clubs as well as Premiership Rugbyís central strategy"

We then give the wishiest-washiest response to how we'll use; investing to achieve our potential.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
21 December, 2018 11:17
I would definitely use the £15M on a new 5 year plan.

SimonW (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 01:37
Perhaps buy a few pubs close to new stadium.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 10:27
Most important thing is we get promoted so in the short term I would make a few signings from the NZ and SA players who narrowly miss out on Super Rugby squads.

22 December, 2018 10:40
Quote:
SirBurger
Most important thing is we get promoted so in the short term I would make a few signings from the NZ and SA players who narrowly miss out on Super Rugby squads.

Yep, a few Botha/van Zyl style signings in the next month or so wouldn't go amiss at all

waltham (IP Logged)
22 December, 2018 13:57
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
SirBurger

Yep, a few Botha/van Zyl style signings in the next month or so wouldn't go amiss at all

I keep wondering what will happen post March 29th in terms of importing overseas sports folks in general.

27 December, 2018 06:17
Interview with Facer in the Times this morning. Says we will be spending to the cap with marquee players if we get promoted. Also mentions that the Brentford deal is significantly better for match day income. Long term plan is to build our own stadium (Brentford deal has break clauses).

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net