rugbyunion
Latest News:

OT/Red Card? Duty of Care?
Cill Dara (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 14:56
While I appreciate the governing bodies are attempting to ensure the safety of players, the red card against Leinster seems ridiculous.

Red Card? Duty of Care?

It seems, to me, that the player that showed the most disrespect to safety was the one in the air, but the player who constantly followed the ball and didn't show any malice or intent, was the one to leave the field.

What I think I am saying is, is it the duty of care of the player on the ground, or the reckless behaviour of a leaping player that should be penalised?

OH, by the way I am not bemoaning the result of the game, Munster were by fare the better team on the night!

Please Discuss?

Prisco stripe Hibernico

Re: OT/Red Card? Duty of Care?
turniphead (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 15:05
I've had many a Facebook rant about this.

It always feels like "you jumped highest therefore it doesn't matter what you do".

Surely you need to have some respect for your own safety as well. Duty of care needs to go both ways.

https://public.sn2.livefilestore.com/y1pbF7MepzeHRsTMq2BN6eLFopHfqOKjzqsLaGXCmPzr_xRAd47IL-adt8h_g7atZgWlAop9nh6QPeg7MRK8evkgg/Craic%20Signature.jpg?psid=1

Shawshank (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 18:55
It was utterly reckless and also more than a little stupid. Red card every day.

He had no real idea where the ball was and just ploughed in, head first, and clattered into the leaping player.

The idea that that it was the jumper who was reckless is one of the strangest I have read on here over the years...

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 18:56
The ones I've seen in the past, that the official normally waves on, are when both players contesting the ball are off the ground and then clash, this seems very different as the Leinster player running in is under the impression that no-one is jumping for the ball, now I donít know how many games he has played in the past but in that situation and field position, there is always someone leaping for the ball, specially at that leve ofl contest, he should have known that, I'd say correct decision. That is how I honestly see it.

Florida (IP Logged)
30 December, 2018 19:19
Both players have the right to contest the ball, to my eyes the player on the ground makes no effort to contest the ball, nor even get in a position to do so.

Nick4219 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 11:42
Thatís a red card every day of the week. The Munster player has every right to go up as high as he can to take the ball, the Leinster player didnít even seem to consider a jump so was reckless. He probably didnít mean it which makes the red card harsh but itís the only way that these types of challenges will be prevented if the punishment means you will be down to 14.

Rugby has to get serious about head injury prevention and we as supporters need to go with this.

turniphead (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 13:03
For me this is a bigger issue than the specifics of the Munster Leinster game (I haven't even seen the incident in that game) but over the last 3 or so years there have been too many reds that just seem to favour the higher player for no other reason than they jumped higher.

Steelman (IP Logged)
31 December, 2018 13:19
I think there is a simple defining way in which this should be reffed.
Assuming the reds have kicked the ball forward,then the green player catching ,once airborne should always be given the duty of care by the chasing forward,and accidental,had my eyes on the ball ref,misjudged it arguments consigned to the scrapbin.
Mandatory red card. It would also rid us of the hanging box kick, and return us to the running or mauling game that proceeded it.

Forget the even contest element of the ball in the air.Simply the Reds kick it into the air,then Green is allowed free unapposed access,if he gets airborne.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net