rugbyunion
Latest News:

Curtis rona
Smudge21 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 14:51
Has started following us on multiple social media platforms. A decent indication that he may be on his way over....
Australian winger with some cracking finishing skills

Re: Curtis rona
SirBurger (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 14:56
Played most of his Rugby at 13 for the Waratahs last season so could also be being viewed as an option there. Either way, would be a decent signing.

bigbitty (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 15:20
Coo..he does like scoring in the corner, doesn't he?

You Tube highlights.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 15:28
Fantastic!

Looks like a mixture of Maps and Tagi...(Sm63)

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 18:53
Heís a league player, not union. Very questionable signing if true.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

HMRH (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 18:58
Nope heís an ex league player with 3 Wallaby caps to his name. Plays wing/centre and is international quality. Seemed rooted in Sydney and had some doubts about deals due to impacts with family so this would be a big move but fighting for his position at Waratahs with some very fine players

Florida (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 19:14
Quote:
Exile_Dave
Heís a league player, not union. Very questionable signing if true.

Think the clips posted where from NRL so see why you'd say that. Could be a good little signing, especially playing next to Fred, could be devastating

HMRH (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 19:16
And thus, without any checks, fake news is spread.
Come on people youíre online anyway just double check and cross reference

Florida (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 19:31
Quote:
HMRH
And thus, without any checks, fake news is spread.
Come on people youíre online anyway just double check and cross reference

Where's the fake news?

HMRH (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 19:47
ďHeís a league player not unionĒ

Florida (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 20:14
Quote:
HMRH
ďHeís a league player not unionĒ

Ah gotcha!

HMRH (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 20:58
Iím being pedantic tbh - just that kind of evening

Florida (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 21:16
Quote:
HMRH
Iím being pedantic tbh - just that kind of evening

I have many evenings like that!

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2019 22:11
Would be just the sort of guy we need out wide, hell of a finisher judging from his highlights footage.

RodB (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 08:50
Might he be the Nalaga we've never had?

SirBurger (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 09:17
Quote:
Smudge21
Would be just the sort of guy we need out wide, hell of a finisher judging from his highlights footage.

I read a bit more about him last night. He definitely sees himself as a 13 in Union and that is where he has made most of his appearances lately.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 09:54
Yeah, think it was 7 tries in 18 games (17 starts) for the Waratahs last season mostly at 13. Knocked around Wallaby training squads in 2018 but didn't add to the caps he picked up in 2017.

Certainly the sort of player we should be looking at. Fringe tier one international who is likely going to miss out on the RWC, but with plenty to offer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2019 09:55 by Margin_Walker.

GHA (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 10:12
Agreed M_W - not a fan of his social media comments backing his mate Israel Folau (then again I'm not a big fan of social media as it is) but other than that he ticks a lot of boxes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2019 10:18 by GHA.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 10:24
That would be a really good signing if it comes off. Also like that KK are bringing players in now rather than in the off season to bed them into English Rugby. Smart.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 10:29
Quote:
Jamiepep1
That would be a really good signing if it comes off. Also like that KK are bringing players in now rather than in the off season to bed them into English Rugby. Smart.

If true, I'm pretty sure he has a Waratahs contract for this season. Likely wouldn't see him until late summer.

GHA (IP Logged)
04 January, 2019 10:35
When does Sa's contract with his previous club end? Haven't seen him yet

winking smiley

PV (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 09:08
If he is as homophobic as Folau then when we look at what some say about reasons to not sign Paddy Jackson - on that basis, given we are a family club and all that, should we sign him?

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 09:29
Quote:
PV
If he is as homophobic as Folau then when we look at what some say about reasons to not sign Paddy Jackson - on that basis, given we are a family club and all that, should we sign him?

I always find these issues a little bit odd in our sporting society. Some players can speak their mind about certain issues and are condemned for it, others feel that way but keep quiet. Do we acknowledge the fact that a person was honest enough to share an opinion even if itís different to our own or believe that no other player feels that way just because they donít talk about it.

If someone from a religious order spoke out about homosexuality, a lot of people including myself would raise eyebrows and just quickly ignore the comments. Itís soenthing weíve all heard before from religioun so we donít waste much time listening to it. If someone of a Ďback in my dayí generation commented on how itís Ďnot rightí Iíd imagine theyíd get the same reaction, again because itís coming from a group in society thatís had its fair share of opinions. The moment it comes from an athlete, we seem to take them far more seriously. Having met quite a few sportsmen and women over the years, I always felt they were the exact same as us normal folk, just had one particular skill set that separates us. Off the field they do and act just like the rest of us (for the most part, I doubt Ronaldo has the same morning routine as me).
Why do we get more animated when one of them does something that is actually very similar to average Joe members of society? Jackson for example, not guilty of what he was accused but thatís not good enough for some, folau is still an international as he hasnít done anything to render himself unpickable.
Why are we less forgiving to sports stars than we are to friends or other celebs. Cheryl Cole attended a toilet attendant, Boy George locked up a gentleman friend for a weekend, Chris Brown beat up his girlfriend. All of these examples were found guilty in a court of law yet theyíve all been forgiven Iím assuming as their on tv all the time making loads of cash.

Slightly off topic but itís interested me, especially after the Jackson and Olding case.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 09:31
He didn't write anything homophobic, he posted a message saying 'we stand with Israel folau.' In no way whatsoever do I agree with folau's comments however, Rona was simply showing support for his friend, I wouldn't read too much into it.

PV (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 09:46
But IF he is a homophobe?

Shawshank (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 10:46
I think all our potential signings should be required to achieve a 100% pass mark in a LGBTQI+ Awareness test conducted by the 1984 Society.

And said Society will then ban Bible Code Sundays from playing In the Cowshed due to their alternative lyrics to ĎSwing Low Sweet Chariotí...

GHA (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 10:53
Agreed Shankers

Sod the 'family club' thing

I have no problem with either Rona or Jackson

Florida (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 11:14
Quote:
PV
But IF he is a homophobe?

IF he were homophobic, then I wouldn't want him at the club. There's absolutely no place for it.

GHA (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 11:26
He's entitled to his opinions even if everyone on here (I hope it is everyone) disagrees with them. Is it a tiny bit hypocritical to say I don't like him so I don't want him at the Irish because he doesn't like something?

This might be a bit deep, so apologies if it is. It's not his personal views that matter (although as usual with social media it's better if some things are left private)

Florida (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 11:41
Quote:
GHA
He's entitled to his opinions even if everyone on here (I hope it is everyone) disagrees with them. Is it a tiny bit hypocritical to say I don't like him so I don't want him at the Irish because he doesn't like something?
This might be a bit deep, so apologies if it is. It's not his personal views that matter (although as usual with social media it's better if some things are left private)

With respect I completely disagree. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, no one's opinion should be homophobic. If we replaced the word homophobic for racist would you still be saying everyone is entitled to their own opinion?

Just to add, I'm not saying he is homophobic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2019 11:42 by Florida.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 12:07
Er, arenít some you forgetting that the Catholic Church considers homosexuality to be a serious sin

Will be now be banning Catholics...?

The intolerance by some on here of freedom of thought is pretty chilling.

Florida (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 12:21
Quote:
Shawshank
Er, arenít some you forgetting that the Catholic Church considers homosexuality to be a serious sin
Will be now be banning Catholics...?

The intolerance by some on here of freedom of thought is pretty chilling.

Intolerance? Seriously? It's intolerant to not accept homophobia? I've heard it all now.

GHA (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 12:25
No one's opinion should be homophobic, but if it is, it is. It reminds me of the line from Family Guy...

Quote:
Well, sir, while I may not agree with what you say I'll defend to the death your right to say it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2019 12:29 by GHA.

GHA (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 12:28
I think David Pocock summed it up quite well:

Quote:
Pocock has been a long-time supporter of marriage equality and has spoken to Folau, a devout Christian, to tell him he "strongly disagrees" with the message Folau sent to fans.
But speaking for the first time since Folau's post, Pocock said vastly different views on social issues and same-sex equality doesn't mean there's a divide between individuals in Wallabies camp.

"Absolutely [we can play together], I've got family who have those views and we've had it out over the years," Pocock told Fairfax Media.

"The bottom line is theyíre family. You talk about it in a civil way ... and when you do that you realise we've got far more common ground than we have in difference of belief.

"I just don't see who wins if we aren't able to relate to each other as humans and keep talking about things rather than having these really nasty polarising debates to decide who is and isn't part of our tribe based on their beliefs.

"We all lose something when we aren't able to engage with people just because we disagree on something."

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 14:41
I think it's better to talk about your difference in belief, than to stand behind a barricade of self righteousness shouting that you are completely right, that said there are some things that are just plainly wrong, but if these wrong beliefs are left in a situation where there is no dialogue about them, then it is easier to pass them as correct.
These idiotic views, or stupid actions are all subjective and can not be put in the same bag and labelled as sports stars are just like us, sometimes when you turn a blind eye you are excepting the bad thing that someone has "actually" said or has "actually" done.

PV (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 17:19
Regardless of what I personally think of the matter, this wasnít intended as an argument to surpress peopleís views or freedoms, I do also agree with Florida though that defending the rights of others and their sexuality is fundamentally supporting tolerance and doesnít conflict with freedom of thought. I personally think itís hypocritocal to say no to Jackson but yes to someone who is a homophobe (IF he is indeed a homophobe).

Anyway, it has been an interesting discussion...

nimblehippo (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 18:40
Love how the thread has gone off track. I think the whole Folau issue is far too nuanced to be adequately dealt with in such a forum as this. If Rona is on his way, I'm very happy with that. If Paddy Jackson was on his way, I'd also be happy with that. I'm a he without sin cast the first stone kinda guy for cases like Jackson's. Sevuloni Reece and Julian Savea I'd need a little more persuading on, but I'm generally inclined to give people 2nd chances. Some sort of NZ no dheads policy would be nice, but I'm not sure that we're in a position to be too picky yet.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 18:57
Strange direction this thread has gone seeing as we have no idea if he is a homophobe...

Florida (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 18:58
Don't know if he's a homophobe or even remotely interested in joining us grinning smiley

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 19:00
It would be sad to see our recruitment decisions driven by social media. If we can get the likes of Jackson and Rona Iíd like to see us recruit them. If they then behave with commitment and respect, fine. If not, chuck them out.

GHA (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 19:47
Quote:
SixNineOne
It would be sad to see our recruitment decisions driven by social media. If we can get the likes of Jackson and Rona Iíd like to see us recruit them. If they then behave with commitment and respect, fine. If not, chuck them out.

Agreed

HMRH (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 17:31
Seconded

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net