Steve Mafi
TSW22 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 16:13
[www.rugbypass.com]

Would be very big indeed!

Re: Steve Mafi
kiwi02 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 16:36
Would be a great signing but would it suggest that few second rows could be departing at the end of the season. Bath have been linked with Josh McNally and he has followed them on twitter.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 16:40
Yep, sounds like a decent good McNally replacement (hopefully wrong there) if true.

Would also be very surprised if we were paying that kind of money for him too, CVC money or not. We'll see on all counts

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 18:35
Would be a good signing, saw him in the European cup earlier this season and he was outstanding!

Florida (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 18:37
Good strong ball carrier, just what we need. Seems like we've identified we need a few of them and are lining them up.

TSW22 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 18:42
He was a monster at tigers & if I remember rightly, superb in the lineout. Iíd be very excited by this & heíd be worth the money.

Blarney (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 22:18
Is he likely to be in the Tongan squad for the RWC? If so, I donít think half a million quid would be value for money.

Whilst I remember him being a very good player, for that sort of money you want an absolute game-changer, and Iím not sure he qualifies.

I would welcome him certainly, but not for the amount reported.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 22:26
Is this all CVC money? We seem to be pushing the big spenders now. Really hope that we do not do a London Welsh and recruit a new team for the Premiership. Could be a disaster.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 22:38
Quote:
Bazzo
Is this all CVC money? We seem to be pushing the big spenders now. Really hope that we do not do a London Welsh and recruit a new team for the Premiership. Could be a disaster.

We have been linked with three players so donít think we neee to worry about that yet. I think we made 11 signings last time we got promoted and quite simply they werenít good enough. We are a long way off Premiership standard so if we do go up we will need to make a fair few signings if we have any chance of staying up.

Florida (IP Logged)
05 January, 2019 23:54
Quote:
Blarney
Is he likely to be in the Tongan squad for the RWC? If so, I donít think half a million quid would be value for money.
Whilst I remember him being a very good player, for that sort of money you want an absolute game-changer, and Iím not sure he qualifies.

Season starts late due to the RWC, kicks off at the quarter final stage so I doubt he'd miss much rugby.

That said, does seem a bit over priced, he'd have to have some impact for us to be on that sort of cash.

Marbo (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 06:19
I like the idea of him, Josh and Maddison all in a starting pack together for us in the Prem. I recon pundits and other teams would take us serious with that line up in the forwards. But that's a lot of money and I just fear we end up in a Nalga situations again - sign a big name for lots of money out of France they get injured and the team loses confidence.

The position I think we should spend big on is scrum half. I like the lads we have at the moment but against the Fafs, Hoguaard and Heinz. We are at risk of being outplayed especially after Fafs performance on Friday night would love to know how much Sale splashed out for his extension!

PV (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 09:04
Thatís marquee money. Is he a marquee signing?

Bazzo (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 10:30
Quote:
SirBurger
Quote:
Bazzo

We have been linked with three players so donít think we neee to worry about that yet. I think we made 11 signings last time we got promoted and quite simply they werenít good enough. We are a long way off Premiership standard so if we do go up we will need to make a fair few signings if we have any chance of staying up.

So to emphasise my point, if that is roughly the cost of an average Prem player and we need approximately 11 (As last time?) that is some wage bill. If you are going to have two marquee players (costing how much?) as well as a dozen new ones then that would be all your CVC money gone in one season if you take the rest of the squad costs as well as the academy costs, coaches costs, medical etc etc. Has to be well in excess of £10m for a season and if you donít stay up then what are the losses going to be? Next season in Reading with the club having come clean about Brentford will see small crowds and low revenues for sure, it is going to be interesting to watch if we have a shocker next season (assuming we go up) and we are back in the championship moving to Brentford.
I honestly think that the signs are leading me to believe that the league will be ring fenced and this is why we are looking to spend bigger. Why else would Facer say that we are going to be spending up to the salary cap, we never have before and I assume that Mr Crossan is giving up the money that he has invested already as the CVC money will be spent on ensuring that we stay up next year at all costs? Bristol did the same last season I suppose spending big as they had no play offs. Interesting times for sure.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 10:50
Quote:
Marbo
I like the idea of him, Josh and Maddison all in a starting pack together for us in the Prem. I recon pundits and other teams would take us serious with that line up in the forwards. But that's a lot of money and I just fear we end up in a Nalga situations again - sign a big name for lots of money out of France they get injured and the team loses confidence.
The position I think we should spend big on is scrum half. I like the lads we have at the moment but against the Fafs, Hoguaard and Heinz. We are at risk of being outplayed especially after Fafs performance on Friday night would love to know how much Sale splashed out for his extension!

Think we were linked with Simpson a while ago but think it was nothing more than a rumour based on the fact he wants a return to London. I would have hoped by now that brand would be getting regular game time but he doesn't seem to be trusted by the coaching staff even in the cup games. Could see both him and mckibbin leaving this year.

CharlieG (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 12:05
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Blarney

Season starts late due to the RWC, kicks off at the quarter final stage so I doubt he'd miss much rugby.

That said, does seem a bit over priced, he'd have to have some impact for us to be on that sort of cash.

Florida,

Are you sure about that? I know this happened in 2015, but that was a 'home' RWC, and I believe that this was due to 'contractual obligations' for hosting the RWC.

This didn't happen in 2011 - when the premiership kicked off early Sep, as usual.

I would be interested in knowing.

Florida (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 12:28
It's all in here Charlie

[www.premiershiprugby.com]

TL;DR
Premiership cup starts 21 Sept
Premiership starts 20 Oct
Premiership final 20 June

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 12:49
To be honest, our best chance to get a few early season wins would probably have been at the start of the season when all the other sides had the vast majority of their core players out of action.. oh well!

Florida (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 13:02
Hopefully the other teams core players make it passed the quarters!

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 18:56
A few Premiership Cup games before the Premiership itself starts might be quite helpful in allowing us to ease back into the Premiership environment

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 19:08
Could be particularly beneficial to parton so that he is match fit for when the prem games start

CharlieG (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 20:01
Quote:
Florida
It's all in here Charlie
[www.premiershiprugby.com]

TL;DR
Premiership cup starts 21 Sept
Premiership starts 20 Oct
Premiership final 20 June

Thanks - useful info.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 09:06
I really hope this doesn't mean Mcnally is off to bath. We should start putting clauses in saying players can't sign for them its just embarrassing on both counts.

Florida (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 09:19
Quote:
Jamiepep1
I really hope this doesn't mean Mcnally is off to bath. We should start putting clauses in saying players can't sign for them its just embarrassing on both counts.

You've got to love Bath. I was on their messageboard earlier (mostly taking great delight over their recent performance), one of their posters is miffed that JJ is possibly off to Northampton. The crux of the matter was they had invested time / money in JJ while getting him back from injury he ought to repay them by staying. I couldn't help but chuckle.

NMB (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 09:52
Any signing of this calibre would be great but won't count for much if it means our current best player in that position is set to leave. Is it just a rumour or quite certain?

This one does seem quite expensive though - fly half or scrum half would be better spent

Bazzo (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 12:09
I would rather keep McNally and think he would be a lot less money.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 12:28
i'd rather have both.

PV (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 12:29
Quote:
Bazzo
I would rather keep McNally and think he would be a lot less money.

Weíll need a step up in calibre to survive let alone thrive in the Prem (if we get promoted). So Mafi plus plus plus and retaining top players is key. I still think 500k is a lot, but maybe thatís the market rate, we probably have to pay a premium too as weíre not the most attractive draw - aside from our world class training facilities....

Marbo (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 12:51
You mean we don't sign players at a discount after we've toured them around Hazlewood (Sm135)(Sm135)(Sm135)

PV (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 14:14
Incredible isnít it. Youíd have thought some would join for free just to have the experience.

GHA (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 14:21
Maybe they get the experience from the tour... once that box is ticked they've got what they came for winking smiley

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 19:01
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Jamiepep1

You've got to love Bath. I was on their messageboard earlier (mostly taking great delight over their recent performance), one of their posters is miffed that JJ is possibly off to Northampton. The crux of the matter was they had invested time / money in JJ while getting him back from injury he ought to repay them by staying. I couldn't help but chuckle.

I couldnít help pointing it out on their message board!

nimblehippo (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 19:03
You laugh about Hazlewood, but apparently Wasps' poor quality training facilities (and absence of promised improvement) has been a big factor in player dissatisfaction there (that and their money woes, though two are probably linked).

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 14:44
Quote:
PV
Incredible isnít it. Youíd have thought some would join for free just to have the experience.

Well thatís what Tigers said for all these years (Sm14)

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

PV (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 16:38
Quote:
nimblehippo
You laugh about Hazlewood, but apparently Wasps' poor quality training facilities (and absence of promised improvement) has been a big factor in player dissatisfaction there (that and their money woes, though two are probably linked).

I think thatís more Elliot Daly and his agent applying a cunning clauses to get him out .....

nimblehippo (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 23:47
Quote:
PV
Quote:
nimblehippo

I think thatís more Elliot Daly and his agent applying a cunning clauses to get him out .....

Also comes from people who have chatted to Haskell and someone I know who has been training with Wasps

MattM (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 03:55
From my understanding the issue with the facilities at Wasps is that when they moved the squad were promised the current training ground was only temporary and now more than 2 years down the line there is no real progress.
Gives agents something to throw in the clubs face if they want to get their player out...

Sponsoring Ollie Hassell-Collins for the 2018/19 season.

Usually found tweeting gibberish (via @MattMerritt)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net