rugbyunion
Latest News:

Impact of altered legal tackle height in cup matches
Rich. (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 08:50
Sorry no doubt this has already been discussed on this site but I can't quickly find where. I was just wondering what impact the legal tackle height change for the Cup matches seems to have had. Does it appear to have increased the number of off loads and created a faster game with the rwsultamt jncrease in space on the field etc? Plus are there any signs that it's helped prevent head knocks? Thanks

Re: Impact of altered legal tackle height in cup matches
Shawshank (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 09:39
Haven't seen much of a difference to the game to be honest.

Maybe there was a bit more 'breaking' of the tackle and making more yards in the tackle than before?

Although we seemed to get pinged much more than the oppo in the 2 cup games I saw at the Madstad for high tackles.

I guess that several years of ingrained method will take longer than a couple of weeks practice to erase.

Griff (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 09:58
It would be difficult to get any sense of a difference to play caused by the changes if any since it was in a fairly meaningless cup competition and many teams fielded weakened teams. Like Shawshank I didn't notice any massive change in the games I saw. I suspect the sample size is too small to make any meaningful deductions from the statistics... Not entirely sure what the objective was to be honest.

Rich. (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 11:02
Thanks both

dooj106 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 16:49
I to haven't noticed too much difference. Interestingly when sky showed the Richmond V Bedford game the coaches were asked about it and said they noticed an increase in HIA's and this is probably not surprising.

Sure, lowering the tackle height will reduce the head on head collisions but means players heads will instead be in the vicinity of hips, knees, elbows etc (all parts of the body you don't want to be hit on the head with). Most concussions occur when players have poor tackle technique probably due to making split second decisions and getting it wrong. If your tackle technique is poor it doesn't really matter what height it is, you still will get concussions

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 17:26
This was what I wrote about the first Championship Cup match I saw with the new trial tackle laws, against the Pirates at MadStad. Obviously at the time I seemed quite to like them. Now I'm not so sure...

"It was a great match to watch. Our play generally looked much more precise and I thought the youngsters in our team did themselves proud, albeit against a somewhat weakened opposition. I also thought the new trial tackle laws contributed to the game - it felt a bit more like the game I played in my youth! There were still a few thumping tackles but we didn't have the relentless smashing that has become so prevalent in recent years. It was unfortunate that Jake Schatz's low tackle on a Pirates player sent him flying head first over Jake's shoulder resulting in a yellow card for Jake. It was also noticeable that the Pirates players in particular seemed to wriggle and roll forward a good few yards when they were brought down before they presented the ball for recycling. These may be some things for coaches and referees to think about as players get used to the new rules."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net