rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
10 new signings to be announced
norg2072 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 14:36
Brian Facer just mentioned at the pre-game Brentford discussion that we are soon to announce 10 new signings smiling smiley

COYI

Re: 10 new signings to be announced
Florida (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 14:56
Let the speculating commence!

Jackson
Mafi
Rona
Dell
Simpson
Attwood

PV (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 15:11
Yato please.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 15:23
Wouldn't be fussed about Simpson personally. Lose track of contract situations, but guessing one of our 9s will be on the way out (perhaps McKibbin who'll be 34 by the time the season starts). Leaving Meehan, Steele and Brand as the 9s in the senior squad.

If we got another in, I'd want a real game breaker. I know Simpson was rumoured briefly last year, but his form has really dropped off. He wouldn't be what we need imo.

Florida (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 15:28
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Wouldn't be fussed about Simpson personally. Lose track of contract situations, but guessing one of our 9s will be on the way out (perhaps McKibbin who'll be 34 by the time the season starts). Leaving Meehan, Steele and Brand as the 9s in the senior squad.
If we got another in, I'd want a real game breaker. I know Simpson was rumoured briefly last year, but his form has really dropped off. He wouldn't be what we need imo.

The entire Wasps squad form has dropped off, SImpson is still a class act and an upgrade on our existing 9s. Obviously I'd prefer Faf or similar, but most are already tied up, Simpson is one that I think is available.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 15:32
Heís a threat with ball in hand, havenít had that in years at 9. Wouldnít be surprised if both Meehan and McKibbon were off.

13 January, 2019 15:44
Nah, I don't see it these days. Would have Piet van Zyl back before Simpson (who I'm not sure is a big upgrade on Meehan)

orsoncart (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 17:49
i really hope that these are genuine PL quality signings as, in spite of a big win today, we did not look anything like a PL club, particularly in the first half.

GHA (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 18:47
I wonder how many will be existing players signing new contracts

joshhbartholomew (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 19:15
Quote:
Florida
Let the speculating commence!
Jackson
Mafi
Rona
Dell
Simpson
Attwood

Whereís the Attwood rumour from?

Florida (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 19:17
Attwood = wishful thinking from me, plus it would be good to get one of their players for once.

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 19:17
A good point about re-signing existing players.

I'm a fan of Simpson. He's super quick which would add another dimension to our ponderous play. It's hard to judge his form given his lack of game time and Wasps' current travails. I agree that Piet van Zyl might be even better - anyone know where he is and whether he's likely to be available?

13 January, 2019 19:24
There will be plenty out of the door this summer. We've promoted more 3rd year academy players than usual. You'd have to think one of both of the new Fijian lads will stay on and then there's the 10 signings already arranged. Can't see us massively increasing our squad size, so something has to give.

Hopefully not too many other than McNally that we would have been keen to keep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2019 19:25 by Margin_Walker.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 20:13
Quote:
SixNineOne
I'm a fan of Simpson. He's super quick which would add another dimension to our ponderous play. It's hard to judge his form given his lack of game time and Wasps' current travails. I agree that Piet van Zyl might be even better - anyone know where he is and whether he's likely to be available?

I think PVZ went to Stade in France, class player and I would have him here as he is way better than what we currently have.

Agree with Orson tho, we were so poor today, that score line was not a real reflection of the game. We just have more powerful players than them. It was not a great spectacle to watch, I admired Richmondís defence and effort. We just do not execute well, our attack is rubbish, we are winning but those tries were mostly off mauls and power drives, no lovely rugby to watch. We would get cut to shreds in the Premiership with that team. Our centres are not great. McNally is the only constant at a high level and maybe Myler as well. I thought it was not great to watch. Never sure that 10 signings are a good omen or not, at least they show that we are not happy with what we have.

Finno (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 20:17
Quote:
SixNineOne

Van Zyl is with Stade Francais and starts most weeks. Can't see him coming back!

SirBurger (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 21:05
10 seems to be about the right number for me:

Hooker
Dell
Lock
Mafi
Back Row
Scrum Half
Jackson
Centre
Rona
Back three

However, I would personally prefer that this sort of chat waited until promotion was guaranteed.

Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 21:13
10 would be good. Agree with most of SirBurger's list but I'd swap another prop for the centre or back three given we are adding Loader, Hassell Collins, Parton and Williams to the seniors.

waltham (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 09:17
Isn't it like!y that we'll need to increase the proportion of EQP's ?

Bazzo (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 11:28
There does seem like a lot of non EQP players there. Like none.

waltham (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 15:10
Quote:
Bazzo
There does seem like a lot of non EQP players there. Like none.

...and our current squad isn't exactly bristling with EQP's either ...

14 January, 2019 15:23
Well we've just promoted a bunch of EQP academy lads. Could certainly do with a few more int through the door though.

I make it 12 of the 22 from yesterday EQP, which isn't too bad, but you wouldn't want to dip much lower than that for league games.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 16:18
A bit funny that Mr Facer goes in to face the masses about the move to Brentford and the focus changes when he happens to mention that we are announcing 10 new signings shortly. Playing the crowd or diverting the attention to what the fans are really interested in. Why would he not keep it to himself, as I assume he would not give names of this 10? Talk about getting the subject changed.

GHA (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 16:25
Diverting attention? If the 10 new signings were a lie do you think he'd change the subject to the Brentford move whenever quizzed as to where the 10 promised signings are?

Bill the chip (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 16:36
What a load of horse ... bazzo! Were you at the meeting ?? On more than one occasion Brian Facer said he would answer ANY qís you might have . He also said that feel free to come up after meeting for a chat.. or in the 18months we have ahead of us
After the game he spoke to our group off 5 for at least 15mins answering all Qs put to him!!!
The 10 players coming in was a statement of intent as to where we need to be and the level we are now signing. He isnít confirming them , until at least the jersey game .. when hopefully the league standings wil be clearer.
The thing they have done different this year .. is NOT wait to see what players are left after everyone else has had their pick, but gone out with a shopping list and bigger cheque book to get top end players... because as he stated in the champs we donít have to wait for the window to talk to them ... like prem teams do!

norg2072 (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 16:37
Were you at the meeting? I was, and he was simply responding to a question which he then further elaborated on, it was not a diversion! The audience had asked all of the Brentford related questions and IMHO answered them very well, the focus was changed by the questions in the room not by the presentation, and Brian was able to talk about our long term future, where the club wanted to be over the next few years (top half of table), and how they were spending money on quality players to help achieve that.

norg2072 (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 16:48
...and just to add to the PVZ point, there is a rumour floating around Hazelwood that he actually went on loan, and could potentially return when we get promoted - no idea how true that is, and would seem unlikely, but it would be great if he turned out to be in the 10.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 22:34
Quote:
Bill the chip
What a load of horse ... bazzo! Were you at the meeting ?? On more than one occasion Brian Facer said he would answer ANY qís you might have . He also said that feel free to come up after meeting for a chat.. or in the 18months we have ahead of us
After the game he spoke to our group off 5 for at least 15mins answering all Qs put to him!!!
The 10 players coming in was a statement of intent as to where we need to be and the level we are now signing. He isnít confirming them , until at least the jersey game .. when hopefully the league standings wil be clearer.
The thing they have done different this year .. is NOT wait to see what players are left after everyone else has had their pick, but gone out with a shopping list and bigger cheque book to get top end players... because as he stated in the champs we donít have to wait for the window to talk to them ... like prem teams do!

Steady with the language there Bill. I was most definitely not at the meeting, I am not a ST holder and not a true supporter like you. I am glad that Mr Facer was so informative at the meeting and that everyone was happy with his responses. I just found it strange that the meeting was about Brentford and everyone gets more excited by the 10 new potential signings which he (for whatever reason) decided to tell the audience about, without saying who the players were. A little bit of a tease, no?

Especially glad to hear that we have a bigger cheque book to get top end players even though we canít seemingly keep our current Captain. Thank you very much for the informative updates.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 22:58
I did notice that as soon as Brian had finished his speech he got a small vial from his pocket, smashed it on the floor, causing a plume of green smoke and when it had dissipated, he was gone!

HMRH (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 07:09
Owen Slot in The Times has us bringing in Jackson, Mafi and a ďbig name South African looseheadĒ - the top 2 Boks are Kitshoff and the Beast - I imagine itís Mtawarira heading north after the WC?

I thought Sale were in for Kitshoff but of the 2 heíd be the better signing although weíd lose him for internationals whereas I imagine Beast would step back after RWC

Exciting times

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 07:12
If we sign this south African loosehead and dell it probably suggests one of our current looseheads are off. Reid and Danny both out of contract?

MattM (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 07:15
Although he plays for Scotland Dell is South African... So it could be some confusion and just one player.

Sponsoring Ollie Hassell-Collins for the 2018/19 season.

Usually found tweeting gibberish (via @MattMerritt)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2019 07:15 by MattM.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 08:35
Would be odd to be signing Dell and a South African loosehead as it is one of the few positions I think we look well-equipped in currently.

HMRH (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 09:03
Fair point regarding Dell - could well be

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 09:06
You'd have thought that the prospect of free haircuts from Blair would be enough to convince them to join...

Florida (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 09:43
Dell pretty much confirmed

[www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com]

CharlieG (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 10:42
To add further doubt and confusion, there is an article in today's Torygraph that says:
Quote:
Premiership rugby players imported under the European Court of Justice "Kolpak ruling" are guaranteed their non-foreign status only until the end of the season amid RFU uncertainty over a no-deal Brexit.

The full article ( [www.telegraph.co.uk] ) is behind a paywall.

Florida (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 12:07
Dell confirmed by the club

SirBurger (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 12:41
1 down 9 to go. I guess the others will wait until after the Jersey game (as suggested on here). Cockerill's statement in the press probably forced our hand a bit on this one.

Xprop (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 15:52
It's strange there have been no announcements of current players re-signing, apart from academy players.

Florida (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 13:15
Quote:
Bill the chip
because as he stated in the champs we donít have to wait for the window to talk to them ... like prem teams do!

This I find interesting, this implies a percentage of the 10 we're bringing in will be from Premiership clubs.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 13:36
Probably all Wasps players. Canít help but feel theyíll have more on the way. Three announced as leaving with Mullan released from contract

TSW22 (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 13:43
Quote:
jimbo800
Probably all Wasps players. Canít help but feel theyíll have more on the way. Three announced as leaving with Mullan released from contract

Queue Le Roux chat about not being good enough for Irish at full back...

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 14:32
Quote:
TSW22
Quote:
jimbo800

Queue Le Roux chat about not being good enough for Irish at full back...

Le Roux is off to Japan.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

16 January, 2019 15:27
Hi Florida! He stated to us that all of the signings were , 1st tier internationals in their respective positions.... no more end of the line or ageing proís ..... the announcements would come after jersey game, because as stated it would give us more of a look at table etc...
He also stated that brexit was causing troubles because of certain tax issues with some players.. so we really need that one put to bed ASAP ....

echidna (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 16:24
Quote:
Bill
He also stated that brexit was causing troubles because of certain tax issues with some players.. so we really need that one put to bed ASAP

Think that's the least of my concerns about Brexit ..... (Sm124)

nimblehippo (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 17:36
Intrigued as to how Brexit would give tax issues - I'm guessing that would have to be non UK European players.

16 January, 2019 18:32
Apparently , one of the countries we have been looking at players are known as ď artisansĒ not sportsmen ! Thus this allows them big tax deductions .... which are being heavily clouded by brexit!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/01/2019 18:53 by Bill the chip.

16 January, 2019 18:32
Apparently , one of the countries we have been looking at players are known as ď artisansĒ not sportsmen ! Thus this allows them big tax deductions .... which are being heavily clouded by brexit!

Florida (IP Logged)
16 January, 2019 23:32
Quote:
Bill the chip

I would assume the artisans is a French term, which would include Mafi and Jackson. The 1st tier internationals is also very interesting, especially in regards to being able to approach premiership players early. That would be the likes of Daly, JJ, T'eo, Attwood and Le Roux (struggling to think of other premiership internationals out of contract, but not suggesting we're signing all or any of those). Very very interesting times in the next few weeks.

ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 00:34
I could see us going in for JJ. Apparently he wants too much money for Bath or Saints, it's also a post-RWC season next year (which causes a wave of new imports, and reduces cap space for other players re-signing), but we should be fine for space, and it'd definitely create somewhat of a feel good vibe to have a top class homegrown international out there.

Perhaps a 1 year contract, with an extension if we come 10th or above would work for both parties.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/01/2019 00:35 by ExiledChameleon.

rex96 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 07:40
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Bill the chip

I would assume the artisans is a French term, which would include Mafi and Jackson. The 1st tier internationals is also very interesting, especially in regards to being able to approach premiership players early. That would be the likes of Daly, JJ, T'eo, Attwood and Le Roux (struggling to think of other premiership internationals out of
contract, but not suggesting we're signing all or any of those). Very very interesting times in the next few weeks.

In the championship you donít have to wait for a time of the year to approach players I believe ?

Florida (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 07:56
Quote:
rex96
In the championship you donít have to wait for a time of the year to approach players I believe ?

That's correct, which is why I said it Facer mentioning suggests we've talked to premiership players

HMRH (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 17:26
Irishnplayers also have.a Sportsmenís tax advantages that allows them to reclaim tax paid on x years and including pension etc - not sure if there would be any Brexit issues?

17 January, 2019 17:44
Hmrh itís the Irish ones that are the problem apparently, it is to do with how they pay taxes or get rebates as I understand it... and brexit is causeing issues..... I have to say that Brian would not confirm or deny we had any Irish players coming to us, but to watch this space!.
One other interesting ( but understandable ) point he raised was.... it costs us 15-25% more to sign players in our position..... so letís say the talk of mafi coming to us may not be to far fetched........ just saying

shimmieandshake (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 17:59
We've been missing a gun centre for a while - since the Mapasua/Joseph times. Not sure about JJ coming back, players who are pace/agility dependent having such a long time out with a foot problem isn't encouraging, could have lost that crucial half a yard.

But a gun centre should be a priority. I'm not sure who's out of contact - any ideas?

Full back too, but I'm fully backing Parton once fit. The lad is class.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 18:10
We've been linked with curtis rona who plays 13 for the Waratahs

17 January, 2019 18:57
Thanks, Smudge. I was under the impression Rona's more of a winger?

Florida (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 20:25
Quote:
Bill the chip
Hmrh itís the Irish ones that are the problem apparently, it is to do with how they pay taxes or get rebates as I understand it... and brexit is causeing issues..... I have to say that Brian would not confirm or deny we had any Irish players coming to us, but to watch this space!.
One other interesting ( but understandable ) point he raised was.... it costs us 15-25% more to sign players in our position..... so letís say the talk of mafi coming to us may not be to far fetched........ just saying

Great info, thanks for sharing Bill.

dooj106 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 21:55
Quote:
shimmieandshake

Agreed, we could do a lot worse than Parton. Depending on how the injury goes we also have Tommy Bell to come back.

I am not generally a fan of players who play multiple positions as I think you lose something compared to a specialist, but I appreciate as a 3rd/4th choice there is some value in having versatile squad players who can play different positions particularly from a financial point of view.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 22:40
Quote:
shimmieandshake

Yep can cover both, certainly has the finishing skills of a winger but the Waratahs used him more at 13!

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 22:44
Quote:
shimmieandshake

Agreed parton is class. Really hope his recovery goes well

SirBurger (IP Logged)
17 January, 2019 23:34
Quote:
shimmieandshake

Ronaís profile suggests heís a winger but when you dig a bit deeper most of his super rugby experience is actually at 13. Could be a good option there. However, the rumour is based solely on social media follows and it seems like he knows Ollie Hoskins from their days at Western Force so he may have followed us for innocent reasons!

HMRH (IP Logged)
18 January, 2019 09:14
Telegraph has Atwood to Sale

Florida (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 01:12
TRP has us going for
Adam Coleman
Nick Phipps
Curtis Rona

20 January, 2019 07:05
Quote:
Florida
TRP has us going for
Adam Coleman
Nick Phipps
Curtis Rona

We'll be London Oz before you know it if the other Aussies stick around too.

20 January, 2019 07:10
Coleman and Phipps would be cracking signings btw

SirBurger (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 08:53
Coleman would be great. The first decent second row Australia have had in years and he has captaincy experience with the Rebels. Phipps I am a bit more mixed on as he's not really the sniping scrum half that I think we could really do with to complement what we already have.

20 January, 2019 09:06
Quote:
SirBurger
Coleman would be great. The first decent second row Australia have had in years and he has captaincy experience with the Rebels. Phipps I am a bit more mixed on as he's not really the sniping scrum half that I think we could really do with to complement what we already have.

Agree, Phipps certainly isn't renown for his sniping, but I like how quickly he tends to clear the ruck. Reminds me a bit of Dodge. Guess his value as a signing (if it happened) would depend on how much he's costing.

Coleman would be ace. Massive bloke, captaincy experience (as you say) and would give us some real grunt in the tight. TRP have us having made him a big offer as a marquee signing.

millhillexile (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 09:42
Whilst all this seems like great news, my concern is that we are going through another transition with new players having to bed in especially in a tough premiership, should we get promoted. Some players take longer than others and time is not going to be on our side with the move to Brentford looming. We seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place with a team that at present would not survive and bringing in players who on paper are better than we have but with no prem experience. Hopefully the new names will be from Premiership teams.
I had hoped we would be in a better position by now.
Look, not all doom and gloom, but I am cautious as we have seen this all before. However K and K have been around the block and I have faith that they have a master plan. Just not another 5year one!

SirBurger (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 10:54
I see your point millhillexile, but I think we have to be objective in our assessment of the current squad. How many of this squad are really ready to dominate games in the Premiership? I think less than a handful (with a few more who fall into the "potentially" category like Parton, Loader and Williams and one more, in McNally, who appears to be leaving). Therefore, in order to be competitive, we realistically do need 9 or 10 signings. Of course, the last thing we want to be is another London Welsh who discarded an entire squad and replaced them overnight. The difference is that London Welsh replaced the guys who got them promoted with players who were on paper simply more high-profile, but who actually were not better players. Hopefully players like Dell, Coleman, Mafi and Jackson can have the desired impact on the pitch. Yes, many of them do lack Premiership experience, but they have played in high-profile tournaments both at club level and internationally. For me, the approach we appear to be taking is the only one that we can take.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 11:30
Just fear we'll have no Englishmen in our team next year!

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 11:46
If phipps is known for his fast delivery from the ruck then he is exactly what we need and most of the problem of why we are toothless on the front foot, all our scrummies are taking too long getting the ball moving, would be far better than a one off sniping runs. The other area of recruitment that would solve a big problem is a to get a rugby league style defence coach on board.

Florida (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 12:20
Quote:
SirBurger

Phipps has captaincy experience too and would be a cracking addition.

20 January, 2019 12:29
Well, as long as he stays away from the cow suits anyway.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 16:32
Not sure phipps is as impressive as people are making him out to be. Never been impressed by him. A lot of Australian fans do not rate him at all

Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 16:35
From one Smudge to another i dont think he got 70 caps by accident.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 19:46
So of the 10 signings that Facer said were coming (assuming rumours are correct) thatís...

Dell
Mafi
Jackson
Rona
Phipps
Coleman

Thatís 4 to go. Also assuming that recent joiners like big Albert are not included. Still gutted if McNally leaves.

C

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 20:27
Quote:
Bazzo
So of the 10 signings that Facer said were coming (assuming rumours are correct) thatís...
Dell
Mafi
Jackson
Rona
Phipps
Coleman

Thatís 4 to go. Also assuming that recent joiners like big Albert are not included. Still gutted if McNally leaves.

C

I believe the 10 doesnít include Freddy and Albert. Facer said 10 are ďarrivingĒ.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 20:32
Iím predicting a big clear out. Not so much an intentional cull like Welsh, but a necessary cut back of the dead wood. There are some of the old batch of recruits who havenít quite lives up to the hype. Schatz has done little to nothing, not sure he every featured in the prem. McLean, Saulo (the Fijian prop) can leave yesterday for all I care, heís been fit but even in our rotation system the coaches donít want him playing. Nalaga as well.
The ones Iím not sure of are
Lovejoy
Bell
Hobbs (id keep but unsure of contract situation)
Gilsenan
Twomey
Ojo (is he retiring)
Fowlie
Cowan (id keep)
Coman (one year deal to prove himself again)
Paulo, too one dimensional for prem I think

Our record with hookers is poor. In the prem we have Cruse, woolsencroft, gleave went to glaws and Curtis got a long term deal at sale once he was released by us.

I see a few of the younger lads get more game time as the season wraps up. Iíd send a few down under to New Zealand for some expertience for a few months. Itíll stand to them.

As for the team right now. Weíre heading into the second half of the season, we need to pick our strongest line up and use them consistently. We get no traction from continually changing the team. Especially the backline.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 20:39
Add Theo to the list, like fowlie, his progress been so so slow, if noticeable at all. Heís a Ďítení who canít kick at all. With his concussion issues heís too vulnerable at 12

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 21:46
Quote:
jimbo800
Iím predicting a big clear out. Not so much an intentional cull like Welsh, but a necessary cut back of the dead wood. There are some of the old batch of recruits who havenít quite lives up to the hype. Schatz has done little to nothing, not sure he every featured in the prem. McLean, Saulo (the Fijian prop) can leave yesterday for all I care, heís been fit but even in our rotation system the coaches donít want him playing. Nalaga as well.
The ones Iím not sure of are
Lovejoy
Bell
Hobbs (id keep but unsure of contract situation)
Gilsenan
Twomey
Ojo (is he retiring)
Fowlie
Cowan (id keep)
Coman (one year deal to prove himself again)
Paulo, too one dimensional for prem I think

Our record with hookers is poor. In the prem we have Cruse, woolsencroft, gleave went to glaws and Curtis got a long term deal at sale once he was released by us.

I see a few of the younger lads get more game time as the season wraps up. Iíd send a few down under to New Zealand for some expertience for a few months. Itíll stand to them.

As for the team right now. Weíre heading into the second half of the season, we need to pick our strongest line up and use them consistently. We get no traction from continually changing the team. Especially the backline.

Out of those guys, I'd be looking to keep Lovejoy, Gilsenan, hobbs, Paulo, possibly fowlie

Derby Irish Fan (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 22:30
if I am honest Bell maybe, Gilsenan my cut it but the rest no we have made do before but now its head not heart time.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 23:47
Some strong sentiments from them there keyboards, you people been getting a bit of coaching from the Bath message board?

21 January, 2019 01:56
Hobbs-Awoyemi should stay for sure, really like him and potential to be seriously good.
Bell as backup 15, fitness permitting, because we're so light at the back.
Coman on another year deal, a bit fragile but so influential when fit.

The others can go. Gilsenan and Fowlie most reluctantly. Shame that Theo never kicked on and now seems to be in reverse gear. Shame about Twomey too, almost forgot we had him.

So ideally to go, although I don't know length of their deals:

Lovejoy
Saulo
Paulo
Twomey
McNally (not out of choice)
Franco VDM (really like him, but aging and area of strength)
Schatz
Cowan
Gilsenan
McKibben
Steele (Brand will be far better)
Brophy-Clews
Campbell (think he's on a longer deal, just don't rate him)
Hearn
Fowlie
Nalaga
Ojo (legend, but time to move on)
McLean
Tonks

That's nineteen. Probably too many. One a side note, any ideas what's happened to Max Northcote-Green? Really rate him and would like to hang on but very tight toss up between him and Gilsenan. The more I think about it, the more I'd like to keep Gilsenan...

Blarney (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 06:46
Contracts permitting obviously:

Iíd look to lose:

Saulo (whatís the point of having him?)
Twomey (been overhauled by Maddison as back up lock)
De Chaves (lot of resources at lock, especially with Mafi(?), so surplus I think)
Schatz (average)

Steele (not developed his game)
McKibbin (time to give Brand the bench spot)
Brophy-Clews (as noted above, kicking not good enough for top level, and injury concerns)
Hearn (shirt filler for squad photos)
Maclean (not been as bad as some would have it but still too slow for an outside back)
Nalaga (see Saulo)
Tonks (Parton will walk straight back in when fit, I hope)

MarkS (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 07:33
Interesting how low some peoples confidence in our squad is - do you really think we can get rid of 19 players and stay up? Of course not. Also I cannot see what Paulo has gone wrong other than have an amazing defence - VDM is also extremely effective - and whatís up with all the comments regarding Luke - heís not the quickest but heís rock solid under the high ball and thatís why he is picked with the youngsters on the wings

Shawshank (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 11:17
Mark - the reality is that most of the guys that are listed as 'leavers' have played for us in one, if not 2, relegation seasons have frankly now been found wanting at the very highest club level.

If we will be spending up to the Salary Cap, we must surely be able to field a team that the vast majority of players we can say, hand-on-heart, would be seriously challenging for a starting place at a mid-level Premiership club.

At the Club at present I would say that the only guys (when fit) that now fall into that category are:

Josh
Reid
Smyler
Cowan
Coman
Albert (but on limited evidence to date...)

I'd say you could have added Tom Parton to that list if he had made the progress we all expected without the injury.

The cupboard is in truth pretty bare...

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 11:51
Would personally add Hoskins to that list

SirBurger (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 11:59
Quote:
Bazzo
Dell
Mafi
Jackson
Rona
Phipps
Coleman

Personally think in addition to those we need at least one hooker, one more second row, one more versatile back row forward, a centre and two back three players, which would take us to 12 rather than 10.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 12:00
Quote:
Smudge21
Would personally add Hoskins to that list

Me too. Not so sure about Cowan to be honest, think his best days are behind him. Myler is great at Champ level, but wasn't exactly firing for Saints in the Prem.

MarkS (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 13:56
Shawshank

Iím not disagreeing that we need to upgrade, I just think we need to be careful not to say all our guys are not up to the required standard and then do a London Welsh. Dec Kidney (and LK) have made successful carrears through evolution, not revolution. I think they have or will be making up their mind about who is in and who is not all the time and we can see some of that already. So I would say good-bye to:

Twomey
Hearn
Josh
Malaga
Topsy
Saulo
Steele
Tones

Would also expect to lose

Campbell
Theo
Fowlie
McKibben

FWIW, We desperately need a Chris Halaíufia and a scrum-half with a quicer pass off the base

I also predict if we get promoted Luke will start at full back (not Tom) and slowly that will be changed over the year.

Anyway, all fun - need to beat Jersey next week and it all become a bit clearer (but itís LI so I expect to lose sand make it difficult for ourselves!!)

HMRH (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 14:35
Campbell is fine - early days at this level and expect to see him improve as time goes on.

dooj106 (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 14:38
Agree - evolution instead of revolution is the way forward. I think we have a significant number of players, who on paper you would say are decent players, but for whatever reason we seem to have trouble getting the best out of them on the pitch.

The players that have struggled IMHO are Schatz, Hearn, Tonks, Theo, Fowlie. I am going to refrain from any comments on Nalaga and Saulo as they have hardly played and since Twomey hasn't made his debut definitely can't say anything about him.

Think Rogerson has been good when he has played and Hepetema has put in a couple of decent showings over the last couple of games. Am a fan of De Chaves and Franco (Franco's longevity might be an issue)

Think Hoskins has developed well this season and Danny was injured for most of the last season so would definitely give him a go.

There are a number of players who are untested in prem, but have the potential....hopefully the coaching staff can get the best out of them.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 19:35
Quote:
SirBurger
Quote:
Bazzo
Dell
Mafi
Jackson
Rona
Phipps
Coleman

Personally think in addition to those we need at least one hooker, one more second row, one more versatile back row forward, a centre and two back three players, which would take us to 12 rather than 10.

Agreed, reckon we might sign another player similar to the mcnally/mafi role who can cover both lock and back row. We could do a lot worse than signing a couple of the wingers we have encountered this season as there have been some talented ones who would be a lot cheaper. No point spending ludicrous amounts of money on back 3 players imo

Florida (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 19:49
Quote:
Smudge21
Quote:
SirBurger
Quote:
Bazzo
Dell
Mafi
Jackson
Rona
Phipps
Coleman

Agreed, reckon we might sign another player similar to the mcnally/mafi role who can cover both lock and back row. We could do a lot worse than signing a couple of the wingers we have encountered this season as there have been some talented ones who would be a lot cheaper. No point spending ludicrous amounts of money on back 3 players imo

I'd like to see us spend a whole heap of cash on the back 3, while I think we're good with the wings we need more at 15. I think Parton is well on his way to being our Goode, but he's not there yet and could do with someone in the squad to challenge him and help raise his game.

norg2072 (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 14:44
Rugbypass also has us interested in Rhys Priestland

Steelman (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 15:53
After Smyler how could we ever employ a fly who looks like they've
lost there mojo or never had one.He sets the bar for what follows and poor Rys looks like he's struggling.

22 January, 2019 16:12
Quote:
norg2072

That would be odd. I know we were in for him a few years ago before he went to Bath. Would only really make sense now if Jackson wasn't happening.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 16:18
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
norg2072

That would be odd. I know we were in for him a few years ago before he went to Bath. Would only really make sense now if Jackson wasn't happening.

Not a fan myself...

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 16:24
Jackson, Myler & Priestland would seem overkill, unless KK consider Veitikano as a fullback and Theo a centre/moving on.

3 international fly halves with atkins as back up/cup games wouldn't be a bad place to be really.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net