Latest news:

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: 10 new signings to be announced
Florida 20 May, 2019 10:44
Quote:
GHA
So welcome Ruan?

Yup, this is awesome news. A monster of a player, abrasive ball carrier, has captained previously and unlikely to be going to the world cup.

HMRH 20 May, 2019 11:02
Signed on a 6 month deal then returns in 2020 - that’s a great signing

Florida 20 May, 2019 11:06
Quote:
HMRH
Signed on a 6 month deal then returns in 2020 - that’s a great signing

Great news, great to see them planning for the future too!

GHA 20 May, 2019 11:10
Someone correct me if I'm wrong - the opening day of the Premiership season has been pushed back to after the World Cup, is that right?

Margin_Walker 20 May, 2019 11:18
Prem season starts just after the end of the RWC pool stages from memory.

Bit disappointed the we don't get Ruan for the full season, but can't grumble too much. Really good signing.

GHA 20 May, 2019 11:22
Ah yes, just checked:

Prem starts Oct 20th

WC Quarters Oct 19th and 20th

WC Semis Oct 26th and 27th

WC Final Nov 2nd

SirBurger 20 May, 2019 11:24
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Prem season starts just after the end of the RWC pool stages from memory.
Bit disappointed the we don't get Ruan for the full season, but can't grumble too much. Really good signing.

Sort of how I feel, although obviously still a very good signing.

HMRH 20 May, 2019 11:29
Botha and Coleman going to be a big abrasive pair of locks

Margin_Walker 20 May, 2019 11:34
Quote:
HMRH
Botha and Coleman going to be a big abrasive pair of locks

Yep, would be a really strong partnership. Will hopefully see them both together during the Xmas/Jan period when the games come thick and fast.

Florida 20 May, 2019 11:42
Quote:
Margin_Walker

It is, but look at it this way we're going to see enough of him to whet our appetite and then he'll be back for Brentford

ExiledVillain 20 May, 2019 12:21
Botha looks to have a great combination of NK pace and BBC grunt. Here's more footage to whet the appetite:

[youtu.be]

GHA 20 May, 2019 12:26
Assuming the six months includes Xmas / Jan...

Sept to Feb, or July to Dec maybe

tatthecraic2 20 May, 2019 12:35
Good Video on him here

[www.youtube.com]

Lincs-Exile 20 May, 2019 14:23
See his scrummy on most of these clips is Cobus Reinach

M51 20 May, 2019 14:52
Excuse my lack of understanding but when does Ruan start (when is the 6 month deal). I dont understand the June 2020 bit if the World cup finishes in Nov 2019.
Thank you for any clarity.
M

Florida 20 May, 2019 15:12
Quote:
M51
Excuse my lack of understanding but when does Ruan start (when is the 6 month deal). I dont understand the June 2020 bit if the World cup finishes in Nov 2019.
Thank you for any clarity.
M

He's joining initially on a 6 month contract to cover the world cup, when that starts and ends we're not sure. He then heads off to join Kubota Spears in Japan for the remainder of the season, he will return to us June 2020 for the 20/21 season.

GHA 20 May, 2019 15:22
[www.japantimes.co.jp]

Quote:
The league will then take a break for an entire year with the 2019-2020 season slated to begin in January 2020, as competitive domestic rugby is set to be put on hold in the build-up to the Rugby World Cup 2019, which runs from Sept. 20 to Nov. 2, 2019.

HMRH 20 May, 2019 15:36
RB joins for pre season at Irish then goes to Japan for start of their season - imagine we have him til about end Nov? Mid Dec hopefully

Margin_Walker 20 May, 2019 16:11
Last SR conference game for the Sharks is mid June by the look of things. Had it in my head that it was mid July, hence expecting the six months to run into January.

Ah well, should be there for the first block of Prem fixtures at least, which is where we have tended to crash and burn on the last two attempts.

waltham 20 May, 2019 17:47
I missed this article which explains something of the shifting of Premiership start dates for the next 4 seasons - Ending in the respective June.RFU Unveils new Premiership Calendar

M51 20 May, 2019 18:08
Thanks Florida for the clarification and looks a great signing. Roll on next season.
M

Smudge21 20 May, 2019 18:35
Out of all the new signings, this one possibly excites me the most... looks a monster!

SirBurger 20 May, 2019 18:44
Yes, not the biggest name, but could end up being the best signing of the lot, once he finally is with us permanently. The big shame for me is that he and Coleman could form one of the best lock partnerships in the league, but will probably only play 2 or 3 games together next season. Definitely need another lock to come in.

Lazyboy346 20 May, 2019 18:50
Great signing, although the six months in Japan thing does take a bit of the shine off.

Agree with SB we need another lock, preferably for two years so he can cover Coleman's RWC stint then Botha's Japan stint and then probably replace someone the next season especially if Franco retires.

Have heard Donnacha Ryan might be signing for a Prem team - would happily take him although Tigers sound like favourites...

HMRH 20 May, 2019 19:01
Didn’t Tigers sign the Argentina penalty machine at lock?

shimmieandshake 20 May, 2019 19:04
Donnacha Ryan would be arguably the best signing of the bunch. Would love to see that come in.

Delighted with Botha too, another good day.

SirBurger 20 May, 2019 19:19

GHA 20 May, 2019 19:40
Good find, SirB. So good I read it twice

ExiledChameleon 20 May, 2019 19:58
Quote:
shimmieandshake
Donnacha Ryan would be arguably the best signing of the bunch. Would love to see that come in.
Delighted with Botha too, another good day.

He'd be a great signing if he was a decade younger. The hill is in the rearview mirror.

Botha on the other hand is excellent, and probably the best value signing we've made this summer.

tigerburnie 21 May, 2019 09:25
Fair to say you seem to be recruiting well and look forward to our matches again, I hope this ring fencing thing doesn't happen and we get a full season of meaningful contests rather than dead rubbers. Our game against Newcastle recently would not have been the match it was without the need to win.

HMRH 21 May, 2019 19:53
George McGuigan commits to Falcons - good on him

HMRH 22 May, 2019 08:15
Quote:
norg2072
Not a bad set of signings, who next, and who makes pre-season?
1) Curtis Rona - Centre
2) Nicks Phipps - Scrum Half
3) Alan Dell - Prop
4) Sean O’Brien - Flanker
5) Sekope Kepu - Prop
6) Paddy Jackson - Fly Half
7) Waisake Naholo - Wing
8) Adam Coleman - 2nd Row
9) Will Goodrick-Clarke – Prop

10) Steve Mafi - 2nd Row (weak rumour)
11) Joe Heyes - Prop (weak rumour)
12) Ruan Botha - 2nd Row (weak rumour)
13) Giovanni Licata - Flanker (weak rumour)
14) Jamie Gibson - Flanker (weak rumour)
15) Johnny William's - Centre (weak rumour)
16) George McGuigan - Hooker (weak rumour)

Plus:
Brad Davis - defence coach (strong rumour)
Jerry Flannery - forwards coach (weak rumour)
Felix Jones - backs coach (weak rumour)

So Botha goes to a done deal and Heyes signed on with Tigers again and McGuigan staying at Falcons. Leaves 4 weak rumours or possibility of signings that are not on the radar.

RodB 22 May, 2019 08:21
If the Jamie Gibson rumour has wheels, then maybe it'll be held back until his/saints involvement in this yrs competition is complete.

HMRH 22 May, 2019 08:41
Point

shimmieandshake 22 May, 2019 09:31
Still very light at 2nd row and could do with another 6, I think.

Also, if Freddie's at the RWC and Parton's still injured, who plays 15? Maybe we need backup there also?

Florida 22 May, 2019 10:01
Quote:
shimmieandshake

Another 6 2nd rows is slightly overkill isn't it winking smiley

shimmieandshake 22 May, 2019 11:01
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
shimmieandshake

You're right, actually. Will settle for 4 or 5.

Exile_Dave 22 May, 2019 12:04
Quote:
shimmieandshake
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
shimmieandshake

You're right, actually. Will settle for 4 or 5.

Personally I think we need another num 8 and 15.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

SirBurger 22 May, 2019 12:21
Quote:
RodB
If the Jamie Gibson rumour has wheels, then maybe it'll be held back until his/saints involvement in this yrs competition is complete.

Same could be true for Mafi and Castres.

Ruckingood 22 May, 2019 23:30
What about Rob Kearney.. could do with more in the back three. Leaving his current club apparently?

ExiledChameleon 23 May, 2019 00:12
Quote:
Ruckingood
What about Rob Kearney.. could do with more in the back three. Leaving his current club apparently?

Too old, likely too expensive, not a big enough marketing name, and we're absolutely fine at FB.

HMRH 23 May, 2019 07:45
Kearney is off to France isn't he? Was great at times against Sarries and I think writing him off is a bit unfair. He's is a very skillful player and I'd be very happy if he were to play at LI for a couple of years. Not one for the next 10 years admittedly but that guy is world class

Elredmondo 23 May, 2019 08:43
If we could get Kearney I would as be hugely beneficial to Parton progression. But for money wants probably would be France.

tatthecraic2 23 May, 2019 11:54
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Quote:
Ruckingood

Too old, likely too expensive, not a big enough marketing name, and we're absolutely fine at FB.

WHAT?!

Madness. He's one of the biggest names in the game. Yes he's expensive but we have Vitokani who isn't proven at pram and we have loader who isn't proven at pram... We are very light at fullback.

RK is one of the best in the world with a couple of season left in him. He could make vietokani and Loader 2 of the best fullback prospects in the premiership

GHA 23 May, 2019 12:28
Quote:
tatthecraic2
RK is one of the best in the world with a couple of season left in him. He could make vietokani and Loader 2 of the best fullback prospects in the premiership

Used to be one of the best in the world, but I think that was a couple of seasons ago

Also this board tends to over-estimate how much impact older players (on a salary) can have on younger players in my opinion. Do you think Kearney has made a couple of Leinster players the best fullback prospects in the PRO 14? Has Sexton made a couple of Leinster youngsters the best fly-half prospects? Sean O'Brien? Heaslip? I'm ready for more people who know more about the Leinster squad than I do to prove me wrong on this, by the way.

MattM 23 May, 2019 13:57
Every young player I have spoken to has said about how much Keatley and Myler have helped them this season. Jacob Atkins has sung their praises for helping him when he stepped up as a starter, but whether it's wingers, centres or even Isaac C-H, they have helped other players think more about how they play the game, where they position themselves and when/how to react in different situations. The props have said the same about the likes of Reid, du Plessis and Franks.

I think it's different when you grow alongside players at the same club but when a veteran joins your team they bring a wealth of experience with them.

Sponsoring Ollie Hassell-Collins for the 2018/19 season.

Usually found tweeting gibberish (via @MattMerritt)

HMRH 23 May, 2019 14:12
He’s not coming here so I think we can stop worrying about the value we’ll get

SirBurger 23 May, 2019 14:47
Gibson extends at Saints.

norg2072 23 May, 2019 17:27
Ok so the latest list and whether we see them at pre-season:

1) Curtis Rona - Centre [possible pre-season]
2) Nicks Phipps - Scrum Half
3) Alan Dell - Prop
4) Sean O’Brien - Flanker
5) Sekope Kepu - Prop
6) Paddy Jackson - Fly Half [pre-season]
7) Waisake Naholo - Wing [possible pre-season]
8) Adam Coleman - 2nd Row
9) Will Goodrick-Clarke – Prop [pre-season]
10) Ruan Botha - 2nd Row [pre-season]

11) Steve Mafi - 2nd Row (weak rumour)
12) Giovanni Licata - Flanker (weak rumour)
13) Johnny William's - Centre (weak rumour) [pre-season]

Plus:
Brad Davis - defence coach (strong rumour)
Jerry Flannery - forwards coach (weak rumour)
Felix Jones - backs coach (weak rumour)

paddym 23 May, 2019 18:18
Given how well Ruan Botha is playing at the moment it wouldn’t be a big surprise to see him picked for SA. Unless he’s been told he has no chance which I would think is unlikely.

Ayerzawannabe 23 May, 2019 19:31
Quote:
paddym
Given how well Ruan Botha is playing at the moment it wouldn’t be a big surprise to see him picked for SA. Unless he’s been told he has no chance which I would think is unlikely.

Got to remember that SA have the best crop of locks in the world though.
Snyman
Etzebeth
De Jager
Mostert
Steph du Toit

paddym 23 May, 2019 20:21
Quote:
Ayerzawannabe
Quote:
paddym

Got to remember that SA have the best crop of locks in the world though.
Snyman
Etzebeth
De Jager
Mostert
Steph du Toit

I agree but Du Toit is a very good blindside as is Mostert. Would give them options to have a massive pack at RWC.

exile_pete 24 May, 2019 15:47
Quote:
paddym

Press release has him signed as RWC cover, so you'd hope for the club's sake they've been told he's not going

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2019 23:48 by exile_pete.

waltham 25 May, 2019 16:58
Quote:
exile_pete
Quote:
paddym

Press release has him signed as RWC cover, so you'd hope for the club's sake they've been told he's not going

Hmmm, plays in Japan then comes to us as RWC cover, not exactly locally placed for RSA as cover for them is he!

DMGM 25 May, 2019 17:59
Recent post by Jonny Williams on social media would suggest he's sticking around at Newcastle

Margin_Walker 25 May, 2019 18:14
Good on him. Jumping ship twice in two seasons wouldn't have been a great look.

jimbo800 25 May, 2019 18:20
In reality he must have thought that had he stayed with us, he’s now be in a backline with some serious talent going into a new season. If buts and maybes, it must have crossed his mind. He would have fitted in well with the new backline, with our reliable ferg no longer at 12 I think we need a prem standard centre. Stephenson is a 13, we’re light in that department, especially at 12.

SirBurger 25 May, 2019 18:42
Hepetema will do the job for us.

jimbo800 25 May, 2019 18:51
I hope so but we’ve only seen him play championship rugby. Who else fills in if he’s injured? We have three competitons to play next season, fowlie is at the bottom of the pecking order it seems

SirBurger 25 May, 2019 18:54
I personally thought Hepetema was just as impressive as Stephenson. If Hepetema gets injured then Stephenson to 12 and Rona to 13. Hoping for a big season from Theo too, who will hopefully decide that 12 is his best position.

SirBurger 05 June, 2019 10:01
Gone very quiet on this front. Hope we aren't done with our recruitment.

RodB 05 June, 2019 11:01
Feels like that's it, though hopefully a plan B underway to cover SOB?

HMRH 05 June, 2019 11:09
Extra coaches or not?

SirBurger 05 June, 2019 12:02
Quote:
RodB
Feels like that's it, though hopefully a plan B underway to cover SOB?

I wonder if we may pick up someone on the back of the World Cup. Iakopo Petelo-Mapu is likely to be picked by Samoa and looks a bit like a young Treviranus.

Margin_Walker 05 June, 2019 12:30
I think we are done from what was already lined up. Would expect a bit more movement on a few targets of opportunity before the GP season starts.

Alphacat 05 June, 2019 12:42
I would be perfectly happy just going with the signings the club has made so far... maybe one more if SoB doesn't turn up.

SirBurger 05 June, 2019 13:25
My concern Alphacat is the majority of the new signings will not be with us until December time given World Cup commitments. A lot of the season will have been played by then and I worry that we will be unable to capitalise on other sides being weaker at the start of the season.

norg2072 05 June, 2019 13:38
The season starts 21 September with the rugby cup, but league games don't start until 20 October, and with the season running longer in to June 2020 our RWC players should only miss 1-2 months of possible games depending on national team success.

SirBurger 05 June, 2019 14:06
1-2 months is a decent chunk of the season.

GHA 05 June, 2019 14:49
Of the 8 (plus SOcool smiley so far how many do you think will be involved in the RWC, SirBurger?

Bazzo 05 June, 2019 14:52
Most players will want or be entitled to time off after the WC. They won’t finish and then just rock up here and play straight away. I think if we start badly it will just pile on the pressure when the players arrive in December or January. I am sure that it was all taken into consideration when signing these players but it does appear to be a high risk strategy.

SirBurger 05 June, 2019 15:02
Quote:
GHA
Of the 8 (plus SOcool smiley so far how many do you think will be involved in the RWC, SirBurger?

Hard to know for sure, but I strongly expect they will all be in their respective squads except for Botha, Jackson and Rona.

I don't want to be a pessimist. I am delighted with the signings we have made, but as Bazzo points out, they will all need rest periods. We don't want them finally arriving to a situation where we are already a number of points adrift.

The pack in particular needs bolstering with players who are the tier below international as at the moment it doesn't look much stronger than last year's pack, particularly from a depth perspective (aside from the front row, although I would argue that we were already quite well-stocked in that area).

Taking into account Matu'u, Tuisue and TJ are also likely to make their respective squads, the prospect of this pack facing up to experienced Prem units at the start of the season makes me nervous:

Goodrick-Clarke, Porecki, Hoskins; Botha, Van der Merwe; Northcote-Green, Gilsenan, Rogerson

Bench: Fainga'a, Hobbs-Awoyemi, Cilliers, Maddison, Curtis-Harris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2019 15:04 by SirBurger.

Xprop 06 June, 2019 08:55
Let's not forget that the other 11 clubs will have players away too.

Smudge21 06 June, 2019 09:46
Is kwagga smith available as a potential replacement for O'Brien?
Also wouldn't mind purdy having been released from Gloucester

Lazyboy346 06 June, 2019 09:55
Budget probably not an issue given O'Brien's reputed salary but I'd consider going for Jordy Reid or Rayn Smid from Ealing.

Both were impressive against us last year, no Visa issues as both are already here, they'll be available immediately rather than post world cup and Ealing have a history of loaning players I.e. Duratolo to Worcester two years ago. Not as flashy as other options, but would do a good job.

Margin_Walker 06 June, 2019 10:27
Reid or Smid would be decent (former obviously the more like for like), but think they've both recently signed new deals and not sure how receptive Ealing would be to allowing their best players to leave. There's always the chance they have clauses in contracts for approaches for prem teams I guess.

HMRH 06 June, 2019 10:30
Kwagga Smith - cracking player

shimmieandshake 06 June, 2019 10:49
Kwagga has the nose of a man who isn't shy of a tackle. Would love him here but can't see it happening.

Obviously we're more linked with the other Newcastle centre, but saw Chris Harris signed for Gloucester today after they activated a relegation release clause. Would like him in our setup, alas.

Lincs-Exile 06 June, 2019 11:09
If i,m not mistaken i think that Harlequins are after Kwagga

HMRH 11 June, 2019 07:20
Any announcements expected to coincide with first open season ticket sales day?

Thought I heard Flannery had “given up” coaching on one of the podcasts

SirBurger 13 June, 2019 11:01
One player we should be looking at, who will have half of Europe sniffing around him after the World Cup is USA flanker Hanco Germishuys. He has a South African passport which will be handy as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/06/2019 11:02 by SirBurger.

HMRH 18 June, 2019 08:54
Do we assume all done and no one else joining except possibleSOB replacement at some stage?

Strong links on coaches doesn’t appear to have materialised

SirBurger 18 June, 2019 09:09
Seems that way. Only hope is they have a few more up their sleeve for season tickets next week. I still feel we are 3/4 players short.

norg2072 18 June, 2019 09:50
I've heard Brad Davis is a done deal but nothing on new players

SirBurger 18 June, 2019 09:57
So seems like Rugby Pass were right after all about the Mafi deal being off. That is a shame.

jimbo800 18 June, 2019 15:19
Flannery won’t be joining us, joining Joe.ie as a rugby analyst full time

Margin_Walker 20 June, 2019 06:03
Paul Kiernan, former Ireland U20 centre and son of Mike Kiernan has turned up on Hepetema's Instagram feed and is followed by a few of the lads. Think he's been playing AIL for UCD lately after missing out with Munster.

Perhaps doing a pre season with us?

SirBurger 20 June, 2019 09:11
Yes, saw that too. Very good pedigree, captained Ireland Under-20s when James Ryan was unavailable so on paper should be a terrific signing. However, it is odd that he hasn't really pushed on since then given his background. Definitely seems like one that is worth giving a shot, even if we are well stacked in the midfield.

Fursa 20 June, 2019 14:00
Grand Nephew of Tommy, I think.

Lazyboy346 30 June, 2019 09:01
Botha apparently needs foot surgery or he would have been considered for the Springboks squad: [africa.espn.com]

SixNineOne 01 July, 2019 08:49
Word has obviously got round that with our world class training facilities London Irish is a great place to come and do your rehab...

rex96 02 July, 2019 08:52
Waisake naholo isn’t named in first all blacks training squad

rex96 03 July, 2019 22:16
Ed slater is following us on Twitter, could this be de chaves replacement ?

Florida 03 July, 2019 22:36
Quote:
rex96
Ed slater is following us on Twitter, could this be de chaves replacement ?

Only if its a recent following or he's recently started liking various posts

Margin_Walker 04 July, 2019 06:28
Phipps missed out on selection for the Aus Rugby Championship squad (loses out to Nic White). Good chance he may be with us sooner rather than later. Rona also not involved as expected.

Coleman also not involved, although not sure if that's injury related...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 06:31 by Margin_Walker.

Clontarf 05 July, 2019 15:39
"Coleman also not involved, although not sure if that's injury related..."

From today's Guardian

After facing the Springboks in Johannesburg on 21 July, Australia host Argentina in Brisbane before rounding out a reduced Rugby Championship against the All Blacks in Perth on 10 August.

Others to miss initial selection with injury are Waratahs hooker Tatafu Poloata-Nau, Melbourne lock Adam Coleman, Brumbies No 8 Pete Samu and Reds outside centre Jordan Petaia.

Cheika said Coleman (shoulder) is a decent chance to be added to the squad who prepare for the Pumas Test.

HMRH 05 July, 2019 18:33
EQP just a few quid at the end -
Doesn’t help us stay up. Whilst I’d prefer more EQP we can wait a couple of years

LI Bohemian 09 July, 2019 20:25
Is there anything in us signing Will Partington rumour on the Bath MB?

Margin_Walker 10 July, 2019 11:12
Partington seems likely. No longer listed at Baths Nd following us on Twitter.

Done deal...

Margin_Walker 10 July, 2019 11:12
Partington seems likely. No longer listed at Baths Nd following us on Twitter.

Done deal...

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net