rugbyunion
Latest News:

Brentford discussion forum
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 20:47
I wasnít able to make the game today, could anyone who attended the forum today advise on the key points of the discussion?

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Re: Brentford discussion forum
orsoncart (IP Logged)
13 January, 2019 21:47
Ditto, did he mention parking?

waltham (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 09:13
...kind of...
Quoted the "..approx 1000 parking spaces "near" the ground..."
As you would expect, he was very upbeat about the move and very keen to (..kind of..) talk about communications with supporters (..a kind consultation period...kind of..)
I'm pretty sure that Kelly will be posting "minutes" of the forum on the LI Facebook page (and possibly on here as well?)...kind of.

IMO nothing much really new was discussed so no real surprises. We can however expect announcements of up to 10new signings over the next few weeks.

Oh yes...LI will be giving current-season STH's first-round priority on reserving seats in the new stadium, followed by next seasons STH's. It also seems that around 15% of Brentford's supporter base list rugby as their first preferred sport (rather than footie,!), so improbable that they will offer a single seat twin-ST to Brentford fans.

It was (..kind of..)a pretty good session I thought and Brian does seem fairly straight-talking.

Xprop (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 09:44
I counted 83 'kind of's but I may have missed some.(Sm15)

waltham (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 15:04
Quote:
Xprop
I counted 83 'kind of's but I may have missed some.(Sm15)

thumbs down

b.q.f.m (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 17:24
For what it's worth I was 'kind of' impressed with Mr Facer yesterday both in the meeting and in the conversation I had with him post match.
I liked what he was saying about transport options the club are considering providing to the new stadium. Park and ride from Hazelwood and free coaches from Madstad were mentioned. smiling smiley

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 19:33
Was there any mention to where the parking is? Near stadium or junction 2 etc.

norg2072 (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 20:12
BF said further discussion sessions would be held at Hazelwood and Madejski, and plans for approx 1000 car parking spaces have yet to be finalised but will be close to the ground in various locations.

The new stadium will have a colour scheme for both clubs.

It will look like an Irish home venue when we play there as we will have control of all of the electronic signage.

Unlikely to be a double header to start the season as they want to start the season at our new home.

Match day experience is important and STH will have an input in to what the club provides.

STH should be able to renew next seasons ticket and reserve their seat in the new stadium at the same time.

STH will not be as expensive as Saracens or Quins.

Paddyís Day party will happen.

Surface will be like Reading not synthetic.

Commercial model will be fit for purpose, match day takings will be ours.

Lease is for several decades.

Club wants to return to being a top flight club, and owner/sponsors understand to achieve this they need to spend more on a higher calibre of player. BF followed by saying we had 10 signings soon to be announced.

Hampshire and Berkshire fan base is very important and the club will work with fans on transport solutions.

Declan/Les have a great relationship with the IRFU, but wouldnít be drawn on potentirish signings.

Current STHs will get 1st choice for their preferred seat, followed by new STH that join us 19/20 season. Not sure who or how many, but we will be able to view the new ground before we move in.

If any more points come to mind Iíll post again.

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 21:20
Sounds good so far, thanks for the info.

waltham (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 21:45
..the parking is at local business parks etc, NOT primarily at the stadium itself where its very limited. Similar in some ways to Wasps at HYC and other sites. This is what Brentord already have and BF seems to believe that there shouldn't be any problem mirroring this for rugby. Interesting to hear (again) that approx Break-even is 14k attendance which is what was cited in BBC's transport plan submission.

Personally I didn't get any substantive suggestions regarding transport from Thames Valley area at all. I got the distinct impression that there has not been any great thought given to this yet (Maybe not surprising really).

Some of us will recall the various previous attempts to organise transport "locally" to the Madstad from Berks/Bucks/Oxon town and rural areas. Realistically IMO there will need to be a sort of hub and spoke network, I.e. Collecting from outlying villages etc and feeding into "express" coaches direct to Brentford and back. A "simple" Reading to Brentford coach simply won't work.

orsoncart (IP Logged)
14 January, 2019 22:13
'Breakeven is 14K attendance', I hope that their market research into crowd numbers is solid, what do Quins and Sarries average?

Sounds very ambitious to me, probably implying c 12k-12.5k of 'new' supporters and would only look doable if we were top 4, HC, and playing great rugby.

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 08:56
Did anyone get any insight into the layout of the new stadium at Lionel Road? At all other grounds I visit there is a concourse area within the ground with bars and food outlets where fans can mingle before and after the game. I sometimes go along to the Athletic Ground to see Richmond or London Scottish. Yes it's small, but there is a real feeling of camaraderie (even when they discover I'm an interloper...) Similarly when I go with fiends to the Stoop or Sandy Park you get a much better atmosphere. One of the problems at MadStad is that there's nothing much to keep you on the concourse outside the stadium and as soon as you go into the ground you get segregated into little cells. I sit in GU8 and even though they cluster the fans in the West Stand, the atmosphere in the holding cell is pretty non-existent and the bar facilities are dire. Obviously getting a crowd of 3,002 in a 24,000 capacity stadium is part of the problem, but I also think the layout is a big contributor. As a football ignoramus I don't know if the segregation approach is normal for football grounds (I haven't been up to the Ricoh, yet). Even so, let's hope the new stadium is better thought out.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 10:28
Quote:
SixNineOne
Did anyone get any insight into the layout of the new stadium at Lionel Road? At all other grounds I visit there is a concourse area within the ground with bars and food outlets where fans can mingle before and after the game. I sometimes go along to the Athletic Ground to see Richmond or London Scottish. Yes it's small, but there is a real feeling of camaraderie (even when they discover I'm an interloper...) Similarly when I go with fiends to the Stoop or Sandy Park you get a much better atmosphere. One of the problems at MadStad is that there's nothing much to keep you on the concourse outside the stadium and as soon as you go into the ground you get segregated into little cells. I sit in GU8 and even though they cluster the fans in the West Stand, the atmosphere in the holding cell is pretty non-existent and the bar facilities are dire. Obviously getting a crowd of 3,002 in a 24,000 capacity stadium is part of the problem, but I also think the layout is a big contributor. As a football ignoramus I don't know if the segregation approach is normal for football grounds (I haven't been up to the Ricoh, yet). Even so, let's hope the new stadium is better thought out.

I am assuming that the design of the stadium at Brenford would be more supporter friendly, as it seems to me, it is being built or developed under different circumstances than the Madstad and Kassam stadiums. The Reading and Oxford stadiums were built as begruging reasons to acquire council land to developed other business, not that I am naive to think that Brentford is not a business venture, it feels like a different time to then.

Griff (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 10:33
Thanks for the precis norg, I meant to do it yesterday but got busy.

Like b.q.f.m. I was pleasantly impressed by Mr Facer, he came across fundamentally as a straight-talker who knew he was running a rugby club and not any old business. Of course that could've been his intent but the ability to pull-off that kind of subterfuge is almost as good as it being true. I liked him.

The ST things was a good one. Current STHs (that renew for next season) will get first dibs. New STHs next year will get second dibs - I think members come after that. A good idea to reward support and encourage people to stick with LI next year.

The Community Stadium is 90 degrees around from the MadStad so the West becomes North and East becomes South (I think, might be the other way round). There are smaller dual-level stands at the end and BFC are quite keen to make the lower tier terracing.

The interesting thing for me was that he said a few times that BFC have been pushing for our tenancy - they see us as a good fit for their team. Having followed the Bees forum since the move was first touted I would say that this is not universally echoed by their support but it is a good thing if true and will make for a happier tenancy if we can feel like we're wanted.

The parking is all scattered around industrial estates but this works fine for Exeter and others so it might work. Six stations within walking distance should help, I suspect for anyone Reading-based the easiest route will be train to Ealing Broadway and then a bus. The club are going to take surveys and see what they can lay-on, which is certainly the best way to go - work out what's needed and then make it happen - I just hope it does produce results.

All-in-all I came away happier than I went in. I still don't know if I'll be able to continue my active support but I am interested in seeing the end result so mission accomplished for the club.

I would commend all the questioners. I had worried there'd be a bit of a bun-fight but everyone asked relevant and interesting questions that furthered the debate.

COYI.

GHA (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 11:54
I'd be well up for terracing providing it's reasonably priced (looking mainly at Bath there, 60 quid I believe, outrageous)

Chris Wearmouth (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 12:18
Quote:
waltham
Personally I didn't get any substantive suggestions regarding transport from Thames Valley area at all. I got the distinct impression that there has not been any great thought given to this yet (Maybe not surprising really).
Some of us will recall the various previous attempts to organise transport "locally" to the Madstad from Berks/Bucks/Oxon town and rural areas. Realistically IMO there will need to be a sort of hub and spoke network, I.e. Collecting from outlying villages etc and feeding into "express" coaches direct to Brentford and back. A "simple" Reading to Brentford coach simply won't work.

We've been thinking quite a bit about this here at the club, and will be putting out a transport survey to supporters in the not-too-distant future asking what would work best for them after we've moved to Kew Bridge.

There are a couple of other examples in club rugby where there are specific transport options to get to stadiums that have limited car parking, eg the Saracens Express (coaches from local clubs booked through the club) or Leicester (who have Centrebus operating match day services from surrounding towns on a hop on, hop off basis).

It's interesting to note that neither Allianz Park or Welford Road have anything like the public transport connections that Kew Bridge will have - AP needing a bus from the closest Tube and train stations - and our survey will take that into consideration, too.

ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 14:01
For me (and probably a decent few people just north of Reading) the new stadium won't be much further than the old one (45mins vs 30mins) by car on google maps, but public transport looks to make this a 2:00hr journey, it'd be great if there was some sort of free (or cheap) park and ride somewhere around the Heston services junction.

Paul_D (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 14:04
I live in Reading and a park and ride from Hazelwood would be the perfect solution for me.

Griff (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 16:06
There's a poster on the Brentford discussion forum who posts drone footage. S/he's been trying to register here but there are issues so I'll post the link here for those interested.

TheBrentfordFCDrone You Tube Channel

I'm hoping to get them onboard soon so they can post when they get new footage.

b.q.f.m (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 17:51
Quote:
Paul_D
I live in Reading and a park and ride from Hazelwood would be the perfect solyution for me.
I had a long chat with Mr Facer about this and he was very positive suggesting that supporters and team coach leaving Hazelwood together could become part of the match day experience for some of us.
He is VERY interested in hearing all of our ideas about what would work for us.

Paul_D (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 19:07
Quote:
b.q.f.m
I had a long chat with Mr Facer about this and he was very positive suggesting that supporters and team coach leaving Hazelwood together could become part of the match day experience for some of us.
He is VERY interested in hearing all of our ideas about what would work for us.

Thatís great to hear, thanks Debbie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2019 19:08 by Paul_D.

GMC_LI (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 21:59
One thing that hasnít been mentioned by others on here yet in Brian Facerís comments is that Reading FC will be removing so much of the current parking at their ground for housing within the next 2 years that there may not even be enough parking left for our own match days if we stayed in Reading.

dooj106 (IP Logged)
15 January, 2019 22:34
I have heard that the Reading owners are keen to make money off the land surrounding the Madejski. With a station going in at Green Park and High speed rail coming through Reading it is not surprising that they will look to sell off the car park and use local businesses for car parks as they currently do

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 16:50
I went along to the Athletic Ground on Saturday to see Richmond v Yorkshire Carnegie and had a great afternoon, chatting to supporters of both teams. What saddened me, though, was the feedback from the Richmond supporters who had visited MadStad the previous Saturday. Their initial comment was that the place felt like a cavernous morgue - we all know that and there's not much we can do about it for the next season and a half. More worryingly, several of them also remarked how unfriendly the place felt. I fervently hope this is not an accurate assessment of our supporters, rather that it is a reflection of the inhospitable layout of the entrance foyers to the stands and the woeful bar facilities on offer. I am always impressed by the atmosphere and friendly welcome I get at other grounds we visit, so I think it's down to us to try to make MadStad feel a little less unwelcoming for our visiting fans!

Fursa (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 18:08
Remember Richmond played at the Madstad 20 years ago!!

RodB (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 18:23
I supported them for that year and what's more the shirt still fits, which is more than I can say for most of my Irish shirts. They made proper shirts in them days!

Horticbm (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 20:12
I have been a London Irish supporter all my life, I am now 60...I am so bored with Thames Valley supporters whinging about moving back to London, we originate from London, I travel from Kent to every match, guys get over it....

M51 (IP Logged)
24 January, 2019 20:20
I'm not a whinging Readingite, but Reading has been convenient for me over the last 18 years(Oxfordshire supporter). By car or rail and now things are changing, so I am just interested in some where to park or park and ride for Brentford. I guess people just like to voice an opinion that may affect there ability to support their team.
COYI
M

Griff (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 09:56
Quote:
Horticbm
I have been a London Irish supporter all my life, I am now 60...I am so bored with Thames Valley supporters whinging about moving back to London, we originate from London, I travel from Kent to every match, guys get over it....

I think most have. In fact I can't find a single TV whinge above. Thanks for your input it was insightful.

redhanded (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 08:57
I live quite near to the new stadium.

I heard that LI had approached some local schools about parking spaces but hadn't heard anything more.

The process has just kicked off to extend residential controlled parking zones in the area. These are currently intended to address commuter parking so time of operation needs to be extended to cover matches and overspill parking from the residential development beside the stadium.

Chris Wearmouth (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 10:46
Quote:
redhanded
I live quite near to the new stadium.
I heard that LI had approached some local schools about parking spaces but hadn't heard anything more.

The process has just kicked off to extend residential controlled parking zones in the area. These are currently intended to address commuter parking so time of operation needs to be extended to cover matches and overspill parking from the residential development beside the stadium.

Here at the club we're working with Brentford's stadium project team on this, and announcements will be made in due course.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net