rugbyunion
Latest News:

teams up
fatlad76 (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 12:00
London Irish: 15 Alivereti Veitokani, 14 Matt Williams, 13 Tom Stephenson, 12 Terrence Hepetema, 11 Luke McLean, 10 Jacob Atkins, 9 Ben Meehan, 1 Gordon Reid, 2 Dave Porecki, 3 Ollie Hoskins, 4 Franco van der Merwe, 5 Josh McNally ©, 6 Jake Schatz, 7 Conor Gilsenan, 8 Matt Rogerson.

Replacements: 16 Saia Faingaía, 17 Harry Elrington, 18 Patric Cilliers, 19 Teofilo Paulo, 20 Albert Tuisue, 21 Scott Steele, 22 Brendan Macken

Where is SMyler?

Re: teams up
HMRH (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 12:01
Atkins at 10 - bad time for Myler to be injured

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 12:05
But a fantastic opportunity for Atkins. Would have preferred Albert over schatz but think it's more of a conservative selection as last week Albert jumped out of line a couple of time creating dog legs which you can't do against jersey.
If the backline clicks it could do some damage

SirBurger (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 12:07
Big test for Atkins, let's see how he goes. Feeling nervous about this one.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 12:16
Huge Game for Atkins. Pack need to look after him and give him an armchair ride. He has the talent.

Exactly the situation we want to avoid next year. Should Myler and/or Jackson (if confirmed) go down injured suddenly we're very light on experience in a crucial position for crucial matches. Maybe the preistland signing wouldn't be the worse thing.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 12:17
Quote:
Jamiepep1
Huge Game for Atkins. Pack need to look after him and give him an armchair ride. He has the talent.
Exactly the situation we want to avoid next year. Should Myler and/or Jackson (if confirmed) go down injured suddenly we're very light on experience in a crucial position for crucial matches. Maybe the preistland signing wouldn't be the worse thing.

Or, hopefully by that point Atkins and/or Alivereti have a bit more experience and are able to take over the reigns. Would rather trust youth than bring in a third experienced 10. Wouldn't mind Priestland if Myler retires.

PV (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 12:37
Alivereti could move to ten if we are playing catch up, pretty decent plan for me.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 12:39
Quote:
SirBurger
Quote:
Jamiepep1

Or, hopefully by that point Atkins and/or Alivereti have a bit more experience and are able to take over the reigns. Would rather trust youth than bring in a third experienced 10. Wouldn't mind Priestland if Myler retires.

Completely agree. Atkins is well able for that role. I actually would not even mind seeing Tonks at 10, always felt he was more of a 10 than a 15. Just prefer seeing the younger ones get a chance. I am very confident in a win. Jersey are a good side and have shown themselves in great light, everyone likes them and their supporters. But this team we have is definitely good enough to win this game.

Ajax Treesdown (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 13:00
Could be worth touching base with Christian Wade, when he doesn't make it in the NFL - could be a great signing.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 13:11
I think Jacob is well capable of bringing the bacon home for the team at 10, although it does illustrate why he should have got far more game-time in the irrelevant Cup matches.

Even if we do slip up, I fancy Yorks will beat Ealing, so hopefully we won't lose any ground to them.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 13:39
Quote:
Shawshank
I think Jacob is well capable of bringing the bacon home for the team at 10, although it does illustrate why he should have got far more game-time in the irrelevant Cup matches.
Even if we do slip up, I fancy Yorks will beat Ealing, so hopefully we won't lose any ground to them.

Agree that Ealing may slip up at Yorkshire, but at the moment I think Jersey are a more frightening prospect. Lose to them and they could be within six points with real momentum going into the end of the season, whilst our confidence would be really knocked ahead of another tough game away to Bedford.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 14:01
Without sounding arrogant our results at home have been all significant BP wins so we should expect a win on Sunday. Its travelling away we seem to struggle i.e. Doncaster, Nottingham, Coventry, Jersey and pirates in the cup.

I'm more concerned we have to go to the likes of Bedford and Pirates away which could easily be losses if we don't show up.

shimmieandshake (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 14:01
Any word on how long Myler's out for?

Great opportunity for Atkins. Hope he plays out of his skin.

ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 14:29
It's a shame that whenever a Fijian 10 breaks through they invariably get shifted to the wing/FB, I'd have like to have seen Veitokani given a go in his natural position.

dooj106 (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 14:37
Quote:
Jamiepep1
Without sounding arrogant our results at home have been all significant BP wins so we should expect a win on Sunday. Its travelling away we seem to struggle i.e. Doncaster, Nottingham, Coventry, Jersey and pirates in the cup.
I'm more concerned we have to go to the likes of Bedford and Pirates away which could easily be losses if we don't show up.

Agreed - Bedford is the key game for me....as well as Sunday. If other results go our way it could be done and dusted by the time the Pirates game comes around

corporalcarrot (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 15:08
The bookies have Irish 5 to 1 odds on favourites to beat Jersey lads and Ealing will lose more games in the next few months so promotion looks in the bag anyway whatever happens on Sunday. Jersey will come to play rugby and their backs can be special if the Irish forwards don't dominate possession but Jersey have no real chance of promotion because of ground criteria. I am hoping for a fast open match which is competive and a great advert for Championship rugby. I naturally hope for a Jersey win but if Its not to be hope Irish come back to St Peter for a pre-season match when they have won promotion.

Don't kick it pick it up and GO FORWARD

NMB (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 15:45
I don't think it's just about how many games Ealing might lose, regardless of Jerseys promotion aspirations they are still good enough to win the league if Irish don't perform for the games against the top 4/5, perhaps Bedford too.

I will feel a lot better if Irish can get a good win on Sunday but fear it will be a close one. An open, running game would be good to watch but I fear Irish will be more likely to lose that way, especially if the defence follows on from the Nottingham game..

exile99 (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 17:47
Gusty winds and rain forecast for Sunday. That won't make for an open and flowing game.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 17:54
Quote:
exile99
Gusty winds and rain forecast for Sunday. That won't make for an open and flowing game.

Probably to our advantage.

corporalcarrot (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 19:12
It's usually windy in Jersey. Stop worrying and enjoy the match on Sunday - the result is always secondary to the game. Let's have a great match that both teams walk off proud that they left nothing out there. I hope to meet up with a few Irish supporters in the bar around 12.30 on Sunday so if you spot a grey haired pensioner in Jersey colours say hello lads.

Don't kick it pick it up and GO FORWARD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2019 19:31 by corporalcarrot.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
25 January, 2019 23:26
Whilst we have only to worry about our game, I think that Ealing will beat Yorkshire easily. Donít see what they have done to warrant favouritism in that game. Just beat Richmond last week.

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 10:43
Itís my birthday celebration so hoping for a good match!

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Ruckingood (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 10:56
Happy Birthday Foggy.. the boys will do you proud

tomthepom (IP Logged)
26 January, 2019 19:58
Quote:
exile99

really? i just looked at Met Office and the rain due to finish by 7/8am, thereafter cold...

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcpk99j0x#?date=2019-01-27

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 11:42
Quote:
Ruckingood
Happy Birthday Foggy.. the boys will do you proud

And so they did!

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net