Waisake Naholo
Cormac (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 10:03
I haven't been following recently, so sorry if this has already been mentioned:

[www.newshub.co.nz]

Re: Waisake Naholo
Smudge21 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 11:57
He has recently followed and liked a couple of pictures on the club's instagram which is usually a pretty good indicator of a done deal...!

Ajax Treesdown (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 12:32
Don't need him, we've got kids in the academy whose progress could be hampered if we sign him.

simo112 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 12:33
If you have the opportunity to sign this sort of player Iím not sure you turn it down really

AlecW (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 12:39
But Ajax - it's a balance, isn't it?

"We've got kids in the academy whose progress could be hampered if we sign him." is one way to look at it.

Another is that those kids might sink without trace if exposed to the Premiership before they are ready / up to it. And I think we would all agree that priority 1 is to get promoted and priority 2 is not to go straight back down again...!!!

Naholo is a proven, class act wing / centre who is only 27 and who has played 25 times for the best team in the world since his debut in 2015...

Personally, I reckon the kids in the Academy could learn a great deal from such a team mate / model / mentor...!

SirBurger (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 12:44
I think Ajax was being sarcastic as that response is one that some (myself included) have made in the past when we have been linked to other players.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/01/2019 12:44 by SirBurger.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 13:03
You couldn't turn down a player of that quality. I am sure he would be a marquee signing.
Would he be more or less £ than Coleman?

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 14:03
Absolutely HUGE signing if true.

the type of X factor player that can change a game in an instant. You don't get 25 all black caps on the wing (given their embarrassment of riches) without being a top quality player.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 14:10
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Don't need him, we've got kids in the academy whose progress could be hampered if we sign him.

Totally agree with you there, you can already see that Atkins has not developed since Myler has signed.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 14:26
Atkins May have suffered as a result of the coaches playing myler in nearly every game. The cup comp should have been brand and Atkins every time. No need to play the others as much as they did

dooj106 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 14:48
IMHO Naholo would be a great signing. The younger players have suffered this season with a lack of opportunity for game time, but this should be better next season with the A League competition...This season it has been first team or nothing.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 16:31
If all these rumored signings come to fruition (likely wont) the backline next year could look very exciting...

Phipps
Jackson
Loader
Stephenson/Hepetema
Rona
Naholo
Parton

Steelman (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 21:39
Quote:
Jamiepep1
If all these rumored signings come to fruition (likely wont) the backline next year could look very exciting...
Phipps
Jackson
Loader
Stephenson/Hepetema
Rona
Naholo
Parton

Yep a cracking bunch of players there who could take a season to gel,a couple have played
Together before.Perhaps we should start with Meehan and Smyler,so that the first couple of passes go to hand.

Florida (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 22:12
Quote:
Steelman
Quote:
Jamiepep1
Phipps
Jackson
Loader
Stephenson/Hepetema
Rona
Naholo
Parton

Yep a cracking bunch of players there who could take a season to gel,a couple have played
Together before.Perhaps we should start with Meehan and Smyler,so that the first couple of passes go to hand.

If definitely go with Meehan to begin with, he's being to look pretty sharp and hes EQP

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 22:17
Big positive having meehan, hepetema and I think hoskins as EQP players.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
28 January, 2019 22:20
Porecki too is another EQP Aussie likely to be a starter unless they make a big name signing there.

nimblehippo (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 00:00
Maybe Atkins has no developing left to do and is just a below average championship standard player. Sometimes the kids just arenít good enough!

olw131 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 01:01
Or, he is what he is, and what - a 20 year old fly half in a team chopped and changed for seasons on end, starved of stability and an environment where he can play without fear?

This is a position where, especially in the NH, experience and knowledge of how the game is played is key.

He did some great stuff in a game which was pretty high-pressure for us with Jersey being our bogey team and Ealing hot on our tail.

smithy75 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 08:04
Quote:
nimblehippo
Maybe Atkins has no developing left to do and is just a below average championship standard player. Sometimes the kids just arenít good enough!

Did you see his tackle and the ability to be able to hold onto the jersey player for Stephenson to score the interception?

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 09:02
I thought he hd a very solid and excellent game. I just didnt understand the lack of trust to kick for goal or touch.

Bill the chip (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 09:20
Simple fat lad ! The management just took the pressure of him, in what was a big game for us.... Meehan conversions ... Luke to the corners.... while he gets his head around the next play. As he gets a run of games, Iím sure heíll step into a more rounded role... thought it worked really well Sunday

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 09:33
This weekend a great opportunity to give him full responsibility. Not a league game and we're up against a team we really should be winning quite comfortably against

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 10:43
By the way was only being sarcastic about Atkins, I think Myler is just what is required for the development of future talent in the fly half position and feel if we hadn't have had the Goode shenanigans we might have developed better 10s sooner.
Going forward to the Coventry game, they are a good team and will get better as the season goes on, they nearly beat us at their ground, if not for Myler, But this would be a good test for Atkins to find his feet or boot as the case my be.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
29 January, 2019 10:43
By the way was only being sarcastic about Atkins, I think Myler is just what is required for the development of future talent in the fly half position and feel if we hadn't have had the Goode shenanigans we might have developed better 10s sooner.
Going forward to the Coventry game, they are a good team and will get better as the season goes on, they nearly beat us at their ground, if not for Myler, But this would be a good test for Atkins to find his feet or boot as the case my be.

Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 09:52
TRP Fissler has Waisake as definately coming to us and to be fair all his other predictions for us have happened.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 10:04
Quote:
Lincs-Exile
TRP Fissler has Waisake as definately coming to us and to be fair all his other predictions for us have happened.

Think the quote was 'looking to finalise the deal', or something to that effect. Looks promising though

HMRH (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 10:24
Need a hooker

TheRealBigEasy (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 12:01
Quote:
HMRH
Need a hooker

On a Sunday morning?
Get a grip on yourself.

Ruckingood (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 12:35
Quote:
TheRealBigEasy
Quote:
HMRH
Need a hooker

On a Sunday morning?
Get a grip on yourself.

Ha ha.. though we do need one along with a quality 15

HMRH (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 12:42
Start the day as I mean to finish it - it is. 6 Nations weekend after all

old hillbilly (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 14:07
How about Rory Best after the World Cup cause we need a captain as well?

Florida (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 14:43
Quote:
old hillbilly
How about Rory Best after the World Cup cause we need a captain as well?

Am I allowed to say no thanks just because he's one of those players that really grinds my gears.

ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 23:26
Weíve still got 4(?) T1 internationals to come, Iíd be surprised if one of them wasnít a hooker, and Best would be one hell of a nostalgic move.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 09:19
sean cronin would be a class signing

Bazzo (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 12:39
Quote:
Jamiepep1
sean cronin would be a class signing

Agree, he would be. Surely the heir to Best in the Ireland team, he would not leave Leinster now? Must be nailed on to be the first choice after the RWC.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 12:42
He'll be 32/33 and already has 65 caps so perhaps Farrell will look to the likes of scannell instead.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 13:09
Look what age he played Rory Best to, What is he now 36?

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 13:44
Letís not forget we already have an international hooker in the squad

Greenboots (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 19:30
Do we a hooker Matu I really liked. I assume he is injured? Saia is certainly able enough for prem and porecki aswell.

Also Hepetema liking tweets referencing kiwi players is all but confirming the signing to me. Let me get excited!

Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
12 February, 2019 20:42
Welcome to Waisake should be a cracking side next year !!
COYI
Just hope he lets bygones be bygones with Sob as he knocked Waisake out during a Lions game!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2019 21:04 by Lincs-Exile.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net