rugbyunion
Latest News:

EQP next year
rugbygibbo (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 12:14
Now Rona and Phipps have signed on, where does that leave is EQP wise? Hoping one of them has a dual nationality of some sort.
Otherwise if rumours heard are true re Naholo and Colman we wonít get to have our best players playing at the same time

Re: EQP next year
Bill the chip (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 12:24
Can anyone briefly explain EQP ... I know quotas etc and the clubs get back payments for fielding the right amounts .. but my q is .. if the fine is say £50k but relegation costs 2mill , is fielding the best team SUCH a big no no?

Blarney (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 12:51
Looking at the Prem Rugby site, there doesnít seem to be a mandatory quota of EQP. Clubs have been set a target of averaging 15 players in the 23 over the course of the season, but canít find anything about a fine if you donít. Presume there is some kind of incentive for meeting the target (beyond a warm fuzzy feeling).

There is however a limit of 2 ďforeignĒ players on the pitch at any one time. From recollection, thanks to Bosman and Kolpak those counting as NOT foreign are: British, EU, South African and Islanders.

So I hope some of these Australians are EQ. You would think that we would take this into account when recruiting.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 13:30
None of the Australians are EQ as they have all been capped. However, Colemanís Dad is Tongan so he wonít count as one of the 2 foreigners. I would imagine Rona or Phipps may also have Kolpak parents.

Thereís no actual requirement to meet 15 EQP in squad. You just get a modest reward if you do.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 13:34
You also don't have to average 15 in the league alone. It's combined 1st team as far as I'm aware, so you can stack the Cup team with EQPs to bring the overall average up if need by.

Sure it's all in hand and will get a better view when the recruitment is all done and we know who's leaving. Last time from memory we tended to track at 11-13 EQP in the AP then made up for it in the cup, presumably coming in over the 15.

Bill the chip (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 13:43
Cheers guys! For me.. and most obvious, we must stay up! And with all these other teams having questionable salary cap rules not policed, how serious is the eqp in the bigger fight for survival picture?

CharlieG (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 17:18
Quote:
Blarney
From recollection, thanks to Bosman and Kolpak those counting as NOT foreign are: British, EU, South African and Islanders.

But aren't the Bosman and Kolpak rules down to the EU? So presumably after March 29th these rules will change.

(Just hoping that I haven't broken any rules by mentioning the 'B' word.)

ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
01 February, 2019 20:59
Quote:
CharlieG
Quote:
Blarney
From recollection, thanks to Bosman and Kolpak those counting as NOT foreign are: British, EU, South African and Islanders.

But aren't the Bosman and Kolpak rules down to the EU? So presumably after March 29th these rules will change.

(Just hoping that I haven't broken any rules by mentioning the 'B' word.)

The rules have been written as something along the lines of 'Players with a KOLPAK nationality are expect from the foreign player cap', hence technically whether we're in the EU or not doesn't affect it. I suspect that it was an oversight when the rules were written, but I can't see it being changed.

CharlieG (IP Logged)
02 February, 2019 19:31
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
The rules have been written as something along the lines of 'Players with a KOLPAK nationality are expect from the foreign player cap', hence technically whether we're in the EU or not doesn't affect it. I suspect that it was an oversight when the rules were written, but I can't see it being changed.

I thought that the intention was to limit the number of 'foreigners', but that EU rules required that all EU citizens are treated the same, and the Kolpak ruling appplied the same rules to countries with a trade agreement with the EU.

I don't see why the rules can't be reworked once we are out of the EU, but my suspicion is that things will stay pretty much the same until the agreement between England the Premeriship Rugby expires.

BTW: wasn't Bosman to do with what happened at the end of a player's contract? and it's never really been an issue in rugby.

waltham (IP Logged)
03 February, 2019 20:46
Is there still a financial bonus from the RFU each season for a % of EQP's making it to match day. ... However, I suspect its no where near enough to compensate for use of CVC funds used to maintain Premiership status...at all costs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net