C'mon the boys in Green!!

Re: Quins fined over exceeding salary cap
HMRH (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 18:55
As per my post -only £12k and I guess it proves it’s policed

GHA (IP Logged)
05 February, 2019 19:18
It's ridiculous how spending more than the salary cap is punishable by spending a little extra on a fine. It's also ridiculous how Quins weren't able to get a better accountant to hide the £12k

GHA (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 08:44
According to Neil Fissler another club is being investigated for salary cap breaches. He says 'not hard to work out who' but I can think of at least three possibles along with the main probable

HMRH (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 11:21
Maybe Quins accountant was so good they got it down to only £12k!

The penalties are a joke and I fear that on the new commercial world post CVC we will see that “cap” grow and grow. the organisation is now split between commercial and playing. The commercial team wants the best players to attract best TV so a “cap” sounds less attractive

GHA (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 11:26
I wonder if it's also the case that those who broke the cap earliest have a head start on those who didn't

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
06 February, 2019 12:04
A far better sanction would be to dock them, say, 20 points in the league. That might focus a few minds!

almostatyke (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 18:29
If you do not mind a Leeds/Yorkshire contribution to this? Wigan Rugby League have just been sanctioned for a salary breach of the same order as Quinns which happened two seasons ago. It was also a "mistake".

They start the season on -2 points. Note in RL points are harder to come by as the most you can get is 2 points for a win.

Rugby League has had a salary cap for a lot longer than the Premiership and their experience is that you have to draw a line and stick to it.

I am not a RL fan but I think they have definitely got this right.

Florida (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 18:49
This wasn't a breach, it's an overrun and has had the overrun tax applied to it. Anything below £350k falls into the overrun bucket and is subject to financial penalty. Anything above the overrun is considered a breach and punishable by point deductions.

Basically it's a load of nonsense, the overrun (and taxing of) should be ditched, 1 point deducted for every £1 over the cap.

exile99 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 19:53
Whether it's a breach or an overrun doesn't really matter - it's still cheating.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 20:03
I struggle to get worked up about a team going over by 10 or 20k. There are plenty of moving parts with the various allowances and if you're spending to the cap mistakes/misjudgements can be made.

Florida (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 20:34
Quote:
Margin_Walker
I struggle to get worked up about a team going over by 10 or 20k. There are plenty of moving parts with the various allowances and if you're spending to the cap mistakes/misjudgements can be made.

I worry that there's so many moving parts and unnecessary complications that it's easy to go 20k over

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 20:40
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker

I worry that there's so many moving parts and unnecessary complications that it's easy to go 20k over

Yep, certainly not straight forward and there are plenty of variables at play. Not a case of simply adding up all the PA contracts of the players on your books.

Certainly don't think anyone going over by the kind of figures we're talking here has done so maliciously.

Florida (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 21:13
Completely agree, don't think it was malicious or intented to gain an advantage (or indeed level the field with those that do cheat)

ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 21:14
Its 12k, hard to get worked top about it, it could be something so simple as an unusually large number of players just qualifying for appearance bonuses and the like. The right punishment has been taken Imo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net