rugbyunion
Latest News:

Sean O達rien
sweetas (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 20:15
Transfer Rumours: Sean O達rien could be set for Premiership switch

Ireland international back-rower Sean O達rien is reportedly considering an offer to move to the Gallagher Premiership following the 2019 Rugby World Cup.

The 31-year-old, who has spent the entire of his career with Leinster, could join London Irish according to Rugby Inside Line.

Re: Sean O達rien
old hillbilly (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 20:26
Be good if it were true but Rugby Inside Line is not a very good source of reliable info.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 20:42
As per the other thread, there was chatter about this last month

Rugbypass also going with it now. Quoting 3 year contract 」450kpa

[www.rugbypass.com]

07 February, 2019 20:43
Quote:
Margin_Walker
As per the other thread, there was chatter about this last month
Rugbypass also going with it now. Quoting an offer of a 3 year contract @ 」450kpa

[www.rugbypass.com]

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 22:37
A lot of money to pay for someone so injury prone

Edvik (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 22:54
This board is truly ridiculous. There痴 is nothing but the most amazing news coming out of the club and yet somehow the few that are left are still negative about rumours of players we could only dream about signing a few years ago. Bring on the future. I can稚 wait.

Ajax Treesdown (IP Logged)
07 February, 2019 23:04
Don稚 want him, keep McNally and resign Matt Garvey.

ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 01:26
Quote:
Edvik
This board is truly ridiculous. There痴 is nothing but the most amazing news coming out of the club and yet somehow the few that are left are still negative about rumours of players we could only dream about signing a few years ago. Bring on the future. I can稚 wait.

It's really quite amazing. Almost as many melts as the Reading FC forum, and that is going some.

FWIW I think that it's a high risk signing, but if he gets over his injury problems it will be absolutely incredible, he's precisely the sort of player that is needed to keep us up and to push on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2019 01:28 by ExiledChameleon.

Alphacat (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 03:51
It's not that I don't think these are great signings and that good things are probably happening at the club - it's just that since watching Irish they have yet to finish higher than 9th (2012-13) so meet every signing with some pessimism.

Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 06:32
A potentially risky signing but one worth making. An experienced current Irish international ticks all the boxes. If the club manage him and don't try to make him play every game, he'll be a good signing as well as helping bring through players like Curtis Harris.

PV (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 07:34
Wow, huge signing.

Was thinking about our back line as well. Could be

Phipps
Jackson
Naholo
Hepetema
Rona
Loader
Parton

HMRH (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 07:49
Much as I enjoyed watching Parton in the Championship I really think we need Bell plus possibly another FB. Parton needs recovery time and has yet to be proven I知 the fires of the Premiership. Great looking player not a starter - IMO

tomthepom (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 08:01
Don't buy the SOB rumour at all - believe he's committed to staying in Ireland for the duration. And not sure how long 'the duration' will consist of - he's 32 next week and, as mentioned, has had quite a few injuries... (as well as being a great player & scorer of one of my favourite Lions' tries)

GHA (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 08:53
Quote:
Alphacat
It's not that I don't think these are great signings and that good things are probably happening at the club - it's just that since watching Irish they have yet to finish higher than 9th (2012-13) so meet every signing with some pessimism.

We have moved into a different league of rumours and signings now though. I assume when we signed James O'Connor you were a little bit optimistic?

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 09:11
SOB would be a class signing. The type of guy, with other rumored signings, who could make us a strong mid table team.

GHA (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 09:18
O'Brien Total Appearances (Club, Country and Lions):

08/09 - 18
09/10 - 17
10/11 - 28
11/12 - 28
12/13 - 18
13/14 - 12
14/15 - 10
15/16 - 14
16/17 - 21
17/18 - 8
18/19 - 8

Assuming he retires after the World Cup I think we could still get a very good last couple of years out of him

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 09:23
SOB would be a fantastic mentor for Curtis-harris

Quote:
HMRH
Much as I enjoyed watching Parton in the Championship I really think we need Bell plus possibly another FB. Parton needs recovery time and has yet to be proven I知 the fires of the Premiership. Great looking player not a starter - IMO
Not sure bell is the answer. But agreed I don't think parton should be rushed back into the team following his injury.

Greenboots (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 09:28
He may have a history of injury but he is going to be a leader and a mentor to players coming through. Learning from someone like him can only benefit the younger players whilst also being a world class talent in the pitch.

Hope it happens

orsoncart (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 09:34
Fantastic player. Stick him on a good basic and a fee per game or block of games

Shawshank (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 09:36
Yep, it's just as much what he brings the team behind the scenes.

We desperately need an injection of 'proven winners' into the club to show everyone else how to get the job done at the top level.

A good example of this is when Gussie joined us in 2002 from Leicester - we then seemed to get be able to get over the winner's line far easier than before, as he brought that hard-nosed winning mentality from his Tigers days.

tatthecraic2 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 09:40
I for one am very excited.

He's a huge name. Ok so forget the worries with injuries for a second. And imagine. Brentford opening match when we move, a huge poster. SEAN OBRIEN, NAHOLO PHIPPS take on Premiership rivals XXXX

They're big enough names to pull in casual fans and new fans alike... it could be huge for the club... of SOB signs a 3 year deal and performs... which I can't see him not putting his heart and soul in. It seems to be the person he is from the lions DVD.

GHA (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 09:44
Not sure Phipps is one for the poster...

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 09:49
Maybe a water fountain for Phipps

Clontarf (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 10:11
I'd be very excited.

For me it's a bit like the signing of Olivier Magne. He was early 30s. His French career was supposed to be finished.

He didn't play enough for us because his French career was re-ignited and he had some injuries but it was a huge statement of intent about the sort of club we wanted to be.

At the same time we were signing unknowns - to me anyway - like Seilala Mapusua and that combination of seasoned pros and winners with exciting talent changed London Irish for a few exciting seasons. I also think it was instrumental in bringing on and retaining our academy players.

I'm aware things have moved on and even modest success in the premiership requires a huge squad but if we want attract the rumoured 1000s of rugby starved Irish fans languishing in West London we need names like Sean O'Brien and players like Paddy Jackson who have things to prove.

Ajax Treesdown (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 10:25
Quote:
Alphacat

The difference is we aren't linked with / signing National One standard players like we have been in the past.

TSW22 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 11:25
I値l be buying an O達iren shirt next season if that痴 something we do!

08 February, 2019 12:00
Murray Kinsella (Irish journo generally in the loop with these things) saying it's a done deal.

GHA (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 12:09
Kinsella also saying 」350k per year, I personally think 」450k might've been on the high side. Either way, cracking news once it's confirmed!

(Sm63)

millhillexile (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 12:14
I am loving this rumour. The 典ullow Tank playing for us would be fantastic and big names want to play with big players. Along with the other big names rumoured / signed this is a big statement of intent and a sign that Irish are pushing on. If true where is all the money coming from? I know about CVC but is there a sugar daddy somewhere.

AlecW (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 12:45
I wonder if any new sugar daddy is connected to Nigel Northridge, who rejoined the LI board in January (he was on the board 2008 - 2010).

Nigel was CEO of Gallaher (i.e. tobacco, not insurance) from 2000 - 2007, having spent most of his career there.

He is on the boards of Inchape (stands down soon) and Scandinavian Tobacco (Chairman). He is a former NED of e.g. Hogg Robinson, Debenhams, Aer Lingus, Paddy Power and Aggreko.

Not suggesting that Nigel is the sugar daddy necessarily, but it is an interesting coincidence, no...?

08 February, 2019 12:54
Hopefully we don't get too giddy at our potential to actually be competitive next season and remember to win the game at the weekend.

Steelman (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 13:25
The signing makes complete sense in terms of getting the Paddies into the Brentford seats.The lack of talented Irish players in the team has been a nonsense.Like everyone else I suppose, I just hope his body can still take the strain. Hoping that Arno Botha will be the shock resigning ,released by Munster,unable to settle into their average training facilities.

Florida (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 13:39
Quote:
Steelman
The signing makes complete sense in terms of getting the Paddies into the Brentford seats.The lack of talented Irish players in the team has been a nonsense.Like everyone else I suppose, I just hope his body can still take the strain. Hoping that Arno Botha will be the shock resigning ,released by Munster,unable to settle into their average training facilities.

Given he signed a new contract in December I doubt that will happen

Fursa (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 14:05
from today's Irish Independent:-
Sean O'Brien is set to join London Irish next season after the Leinster and Ireland flanker agreed a deal with the Championship leaders.
Rumours about O'Brien's potential departure had emerged last night with RugbyPass reporting that a deal was in place.
Independent.ie also understands that O'Brien will join Declan Kidney's London Irish following his commitments with Ireland at the World Cup.
The signing will come as a major boost to Irish who are in line to be promoted back to the Premiership with Nick Phipps, Allan Dell and Curtis Rona all having signed.

O'Brien is also expected to be joined at the club with Paddy Jackson, who is believed to be leaving relegation-threatened Perpignan, while former Leinster team-mate Brendan Macken is currently plying his trade with Kidney's side too.
The move will see the Tullow native, who turns 32 next week, bring an end to his 11-year stay with his home province.
O'Brien is currently on a centralised IRFU contract, which will expire after the World Cup and the union are reluctant to extend that deal given his age and also his injury profile.

I don't like the last sentence!

Star of Down (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 16:18
Now confirmed on BBC Radio Ulster local sports bulletin.

Fursa (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 17:16
On BBC website

tomthepom (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 20:05
Wow! It seems it is true, I can only withdraw my earlier scepticism. Hat's off!

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 21:01
Good news, and like Myler SOB brings great first hand knowledge, mentoring and leadership to the team.

Florida (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 21:58
RIL getting very upset on twitter about their perceived exclusivity of this transfer. Really rather amusing the petulance of them

SirBurger (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 02:34
Quote:
Florida
RIL getting very upset on twitter about their perceived exclusivity of this transfer. Really rather amusing the petulance of them

Bless.

Oldhillbilly (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 07:01
In fairness RIL had it out hours before anyone else

Florida (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 09:51
Quote:
Oldhillbilly
In fairness RIL had it out hours before anyone else

Firstly it's been on here since Jan. Secondly it's easy for them to get it out hours before others because thats all they post, others write articles which take time.

Silver Fox! (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 09:54
Initial thoughts are that he痴 a great signing, a real catch for us bringing with him not just experience as a player but leadership and nous on the pitch and on the training field.

My only reservation would be his susceptibility to injury in a league that痴 plays far fewer games than the Premiership.

Now that痴 a damn fine reason for LI to support ring-fencing the Premiership!

HMRH (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 18:27
He was good today

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 09:57
Today痴 TRP said this is a done deal. He will be on an estimated 」380,000 a season and will join in November after the World Cup.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

simo112 (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 16:04
Confirmed now on the Offy

Griff (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 16:18
Offy linky

Blimey! We'd best get that promotion then...

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 16:20
Such a class signing, not only is he a beast on the pitch but helps bring more of the famed Irish diaspora to games as he's a well known and much loved Irish player.

Clever to target players like this, others to consider could be Earls, Toner, Cronin and R Kearney. All still top performers but unlikely to have much national team involvement post WC.

GHA (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 16:21
Blimey indeed... Best make sure we've got plenty of 7s, Os, Bs, Rs, Is, Es, Ns and apostrophes ready in the club shop

Bazzo (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 16:24
Sometimes I actually wish that it was not leaked or rumoured as it is such a good signing, the rush would have been even more amazing had it come out of the blue. Hope the fitness is good and that he is ready for some action next season. Brilliant signing.

GHA (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 16:28
[www.youtube.com]

Me oh my I have enjoyed this signing yes boy

bigbitty (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 17:25
Even better if, when he arrives in December, he is described as "World Cup winning Sean O'Brien". Well, I can only dream......

SirBurger (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 20:43
Great signing.

Thought this was interesting: O'Gara praises O'Brien

Florida (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 21:29
If O'Gara has so much love for him then I suggest he comes over here and joins us as backs / attack / skills coach [:wor kid:]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net