rugbyunion
Latest News:

Up before we go to Pirates......
HMRH (IP Logged)
14 February, 2019 09:16
Having a what if prediction moment.

Ealing are on 55 points and Irish on 64.

If my crystal ball is correct then Ealing have the following results to come:
Pirates away - loss
Hartpury home - BP win
Richmond away - BP win
Coventry away - win
Nottingham home - BP win
Jersey away - loss
Bedford home - BP win
Irish away - loss (obvs)

Gives Ealing a potential total of 79 points

Irish
Coventry home - BP win
Scottish home - BP win
Yorks away - win
Doncaster home - BP win

would give us 83 points with 4 games to go.

Come on the Kernow lads let's start this on Saturday!

Any thoughts?

Re: Up before we go to Pirates......
Griff (IP Logged)
14 February, 2019 10:12
How many chickens did you get up to? I get really nervous when discussing this stuff. We've had a good start but I wouldn't guarantee we can win the next four never mind the rest. I think it's likely, and from your list I'd say the BP win against Cov is the only one I'd question - they were really good in the cup and I think 4 tries will be a tough ask on Saturday. If the rub-of-the-green goes against us we could lose any of those. A couple of losses would start the nerves and then anything could happen.

I can't fault the logic but this isn't all about logic and the K's will have to get the boys prepared and up for every single game. Hope you're right, though.

NMB (IP Logged)
14 February, 2019 10:41
We seem to have been struck by a lot of injuries so we are being challenged on that front. But I would be looking for a BP win at home whoever the opposition.

It is the away games where I think we could slip up potentially so each one of those we get through makes me feel better. A BP away to Bedford is a tough thing to get so we are on the right track but I would really like to see us demonstrate our Premiership credentials in these last games.

We have a lot of good new talent coming in but, as has been said, our starting side for the opening block of games is likely to look very similar to now so I would want the existing squad to really demonstrate that they are ready for the Premiership!

Regarding Ealing, if they win this weekend then I would wonder where their next loss would come from before meeting us so I think we will be pushed all the way. BP might be important to increase the gap.

HMRH (IP Logged)
14 February, 2019 11:09
Best scenario thinking agreed.

I think Cov will be high scoring so a BP is possible. QC and Pirates away potential trouble I agree.

Ealing need to lose 1 and us not to or win but without BP and we keep picking them up. Ealing aren't unbeatable, they're good but have had a couple of close results and got away with it.

Lets hope Pirates do us a favour this weekend and we keep our end of the bargain.

Lots of permutations and no chicken counting involved.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
14 February, 2019 11:33
Would be quite surprised if Ealing beat Cov away - we only scraped a win there.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
14 February, 2019 13:27
Cov played well that day,but have never really reached their potential since judging by the reaults at home since,the game against us was the biggest attendances of the season.

JamesC (IP Logged)
14 February, 2019 20:34
Banana skin time ...

Florida (IP Logged)
16 February, 2019 16:46
Your crystal ball is on the fritz pal

waltham (IP Logged)
16 February, 2019 17:13
Looks to me most likely go right to the last two matches

HMRH (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 08:17
Pirates was a hope and A good result for Ealing. Irish have to keep getting BP wins and hope Ealing slip up again. Theyíve got 2 easy games now so all over to us

Alphacat (IP Logged)
18 February, 2019 00:07
If we can just gain 1 more point and go 10 ahead I will be confident. That way they would have to win 3 games over us without us getting anything (or 2 wins and a ridiculous points difference, which is unlikely to happen.

Heaf (IP Logged)
18 February, 2019 00:16
Surely they'd just need to get 2 TBP wins with us getting nothing and then just get more points in the remaining matches by whatever combination?

Alphacat (IP Logged)
18 February, 2019 00:56
Quote:
Heaf
Surely they'd just need to get 2 TBP wins with us getting nothing and then just get more points in the remaining matches by whatever combination?

Ah yes, I forgot that even if we win all the remaining games after they have equaled us, we might not get TBPs and they can go ahead that way.

HMRH (IP Logged)
09 March, 2019 22:19
Still pretty much on track after Richmond - COYI and letís get this done

Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2019 23:18
Also worth noting that Cornish (48pts) host Jersey (52pts) at 14:30 as the other game in this round. An Irish win tomorrow in conjunction with a 4-0 Cornish victory would confirm a two horse race mathematically for promotion.

Steelman (IP Logged)
10 March, 2019 06:44
Jeez it,ll be one hell of a scrap next year in the championship.Carnegie,Pirates,and Trailfinders all going for it with maybe Woose or Leicester,
Whilst we watch comfortably from our alleged mid table position in the Prem,urrh
If things go right today in that forecast 50mph wind.....woops.

HMRH (IP Logged)
10 March, 2019 09:42
Revised a few and been a little more pessimistic so home to Hartpury looks the one. Assumes Ealing max out from here on and also that we donít. Tough one on Leeds even with all their troubles and Pirates away could be sticky

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
10 March, 2019 09:55
You donít think Leicester will ever be allowed to go down, do you?!?

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Steelman (IP Logged)
10 March, 2019 11:10
Quote:
Foggy-Balla

Absolutely not,
But it is a lovely thought isn't it !

orsoncart (IP Logged)
10 March, 2019 12:27
Quote:
Steelman
Quote:
Foggy-Balla

Absolutely not,
But it is a lovely thought isn't it !

Not nearly as lovely as Barf

HMRH (IP Logged)
10 March, 2019 16:59
Oh well

Heaf (IP Logged)
23 March, 2019 17:13
Hartbury beat Jersey away - interesting result given we have to play Hartbury and Ealing have to play Jersey.
I presume Hartbury are still fielding players from Glaws?

SirBurger (IP Logged)
23 March, 2019 17:43
Quote:
Heaf
Hartbury beat Jersey away - interesting result given we have to play Hartbury and Ealing have to play Jersey.
I presume Hartbury are still fielding players from Glaws?

Yes, Jersey have really lost some form and Hartpury have been playing a host of Gloucester youngsters so are not the poor side that they were at the start of the season. Good to get the win today, but still some tough games to come.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
23 March, 2019 18:02
Pirates form seems to have deserted them too by the sounds of it. No doubt they will be up for it next week though

Shropshire Hugh (IP Logged)
23 March, 2019 19:50
You'd be a bit @#$%& off if you supported Richmond with the way Glaws are propping up Hartpury.

Living in the Ionian Isles so just lurking when wifi allows!

HMRH (IP Logged)
24 March, 2019 12:35
Pirates away is a key one for us although none of the remaining games are going to be easy. We need to keep the front row fit and healthy as with our replacements and fitness levels we get stronger as the game goes on I think. Forecast good for next weekend - see yíall there

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
24 March, 2019 13:00
Yep, you'd like to think if we can win next week's game then that will pretty much see us home...

HMRH (IP Logged)
24 March, 2019 16:59
BP win for Richmond away at Nottingham- hotting up for the end of season!

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
24 March, 2019 17:55
Hartpury and Richmond will both be tough games whilst they are fighting for survival.

Would actually rather have a few mid table teams left on the run in.

Next weekend is huge though. Just need to find a way to win.

NMB (IP Logged)
24 March, 2019 19:08
This week is huge. I can't see Ealing dropping any more points now so we have to be on our mettle every match. Cornish away is tough and the the last 3 teams all have a lot to play for. We need our strongest team and to be playing our best rugby here on in

Florida (IP Logged)
24 March, 2019 20:26
I wouldn't write off Jersey, Ealing could still slip up there. However, I fully agree that from now on there can be no let up from us. We must win the remaining fixtures.

waltham (IP Logged)
26 March, 2019 19:22
Quote:
NMB
This week is huge. I can't see Ealing dropping any more points now so we have to be on our mettle every match. Cornish away is tough and the the last 3 teams all have a lot to play for. We need our strongest team and to be playing our best rugby here on in

(Sm152)

Heaf (IP Logged)
30 March, 2019 16:20
Jersey seem to have rediscovered their mojo a bit - hopefully they'll give Ealing a hard time next week. I see Hartbury ringers are still doing well too though ...

Shawshank (IP Logged)
30 March, 2019 18:22
Because our points difference is so massively better than Ealings, we only need 7 more points from 3 games to be absolutely sure to go up.

Indeed, Ealing could well come a cropper and lose their next game away to Jersey, which would mean a bare win against Hatpury would see us promoted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/03/2019 23:01 by Shawshank.

JamesC (IP Logged)
30 March, 2019 22:45
Rules for when league points are level are:

If teams are level at any stage, tiebreakers are applied in the following order:

Number of matches won

Difference between points for and against

Total number of points for

Aggregate number of points scored in matches between tied teams

Number of matches won excluding the first match, then the second and so on until the tie is settled

More interested in knowing what we have to do in the next two matches which I think is to record a minimum 4 pt win which means that we would only drop max net 2 points v Ealing. As a result we would be net 6 ahead by the final match on 27 April and result of that game would be academic. Simples

Shawshank (IP Logged)
30 March, 2019 23:00
The only way my 7pts rule wonít apply is if:

We lose 2 matches with 2 BPís and draw the other with 3 pts; and

At the same time Ealing win all three remaining matches all with 5 pt wins.

That way we finish level but they have 1 more win, so would be promoted.

Heaf (IP Logged)
30 March, 2019 23:01
Or a 5 point win and a draw - or a 5 point win and a loss with a TBP and LBP - or a 4 point win and a draw with a TBP.

Ajax Treesdown (IP Logged)
31 March, 2019 00:24
Why is anyone worried?

Tin pot league
Pub teams
Irish champions - no worries.

Florida (IP Logged)
31 March, 2019 02:09
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Why is anyone worried?
Tin pot league
Pub teams

Whoop, everyone give it up for our very own troll.

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
31 March, 2019 09:52
London Irish will win their remaining three games and will win the league by 12 points.

No problem

Come on you Irish

Paul

tomthepom (IP Logged)
31 March, 2019 10:40
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Why is anyone worried?
Tin pot league
Pub teams

Perhaps because they aren't arrogant, nor ignorant, because they don't want to count their chickens, and because, in common with the world's entire population outside of the bridge under which you dwell, they have a bit more respect for this league than you do.

JamesC (IP Logged)
31 March, 2019 11:27
Thanks SS. That seems to cover all permutations.

Tone for the season set in the very first match v Ealing.

JamesC (IP Logged)
31 March, 2019 11:41
Also because life as a London Irish supporter at times requires more faith than the first Christians

Dermot66 (IP Logged)
31 March, 2019 13:37
Ealing with 3 bonus point wins can get to 91 points. We should even with our most pessimistic hat on get 2 x 4 point wins against Hartpury and Richmond. That will get us to 92 points before the Ealing game!!

waltham (IP Logged)
31 March, 2019 15:40
Quote:
Dermot66
Ealing with 3 bonus point wins can get to 91 points. We should even with our most pessimistic hat on get 2 x 4 point wins against Hartpury and Richmond. That will get us to 92 points before the Ealing game!!

..and that would be just too look close for comfort methinks

Yeoman (IP Logged)
31 March, 2019 21:01
Ajax Treesdown -
You obviously know little about the sport of rugby or you would know to show respect to your opponents. Had you been in Penzance yesterday you would have witnessed an exiting game of rugby containing plenty of skill from both sides. Your reference to pub teams is both insulting and distasteful.
I suggest you place an apology on each of the championship teams' supporters message boards and then never post on this board again.

31 March, 2019 22:00
Quote:
Yeoman
Ajax Treesdown -
You obviously know little about the sport of rugby or you would know to show respect to your opponents. Had you been in Penzance yesterday you would have witnessed an exiting game of rugby containing plenty of skill from both sides. Your reference to pub teams is both insulting and distasteful.
I suggest you place an apology on each of the championship teams' supporters message boards and then never post on this board again.

Thanks for the suggestion - duly noted.

I expect an apology from each of the Championship clubs on this message board for wasting our time this season.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
31 March, 2019 22:04
Even Jersey and Yorkshire?

MarkS (IP Logged)
31 March, 2019 23:42
Ffs ignore him - Ajax Treesdown knows nothing about rugby, cares nothing for LI and is a complete dick - he isnít worth it

Florida (IP Logged)
01 April, 2019 00:24
Quote:
MarkS
Ffs ignore him - Ajax Treesdown knows nothing about rugby, cares nothing for LI and is a complete dick - he isnít worth it

Well said

HMRH (IP Logged)
01 April, 2019 07:35
After losing in Leeds we have no realistic prospect of being confirmed prior to Richmond - IF we can record two wins even without BP we would be 6 points ahead going into last game assuming Ealing won with BP in next 2 games. I think both Irish and Ealing will win their next 2 games so weíd be up as a result.

Our scrum dominated Pirates but the new ref approach drew few penalties although I expect us to try and batter Hartpury up front. Key game as we then know that Richmond away could do it

A win will do

GHA (IP Logged)
01 April, 2019 08:43
Quote:
waltham
Quote:
Dermot66

..and that would be just too look close for comfort methinks

As in if they win their 3 with bonus points they get to 91, if we win our next 2 with no bonus points we get to 92

That's not too close for comfort that's sealing it with a game to spare

Shawshank (IP Logged)
01 April, 2019 08:53
(Sm6)

Steelman (IP Logged)
01 April, 2019 09:05
...fielding an illegible player scenarios?

millhillexile (IP Logged)
01 April, 2019 09:10
Alls the boys can do is keep winning.Saturday was a potential banana skin which was well overcome. A good rest now and build up ready for Hartpury and really at home we should be too strong. Richmond away.... I was there last time we were in championship and donít know how we came away with a win. So a crucial game and we could be Champs or chumps at the end of it.
On a positive note our backs seem to be getting better each game with all of them hitting form at the right time which is just what we need at this stage.

tomthepom (IP Logged)
01 April, 2019 15:26
Quote:
HMRH
After losing in Leeds we have no realistic prospect of being confirmed prior to Richmond - IF we can record two wins even without BP we would be 6 points ahead going into last game assuming Ealing won with BP in next 2 games.

we (Jersey) will get onto 'HQ' today and concede the game against Ealing as there's no realistic prospect of a home win...

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
01 April, 2019 15:48
Quote:
tomthepom
Quote:
HMRH
After losing in Leeds we have no realistic prospect of being confirmed prior to Richmond - IF we can record two wins even without BP we would be 6 points ahead going into last game assuming Ealing won with BP in next 2 games.

we (Jersey) will get onto 'HQ' today and concede the game against Ealing as there's no realistic prospect of a home win...

Do you want some tomato sauce on that chip?

HMRH (IP Logged)
01 April, 2019 17:14
Hey no offence meant to Jersey at all - just painting our worst case scenario IF Ealing win with BPs

Sorry if came across that way @tomthepom

Shawshank (IP Logged)
01 April, 2019 18:01
Tom - Ignore LI Bo's belligerance.

I have every confidence that your Jersey Boys can do a job on Ealing.(Sm1)

SirBurger (IP Logged)
01 April, 2019 18:31
Agreed!

tomthepom (IP Logged)
01 April, 2019 20:52
Quote:
Shawshank
Tom - Ignore LI Bo's belligerance.
I have every confidence that your Jersey Boys can do a job on Ealing.(Sm1)

ok - have managed to get the fixture reinstated winking smiley - and no prob HMRH (Sm128)

the Reds & Ealing have built up a real rivalry since 1st meeting in N2S in 2010/11, with the Londoners having the better of it in recent (Championship) seasons. The home players won't lack for motivation, that's for sure

02 April, 2019 12:42
Quote:
MarkS

Having supported the club through attendance and financially (Season tickets, advertisement, match & player sponsorship) i would argue that i do "care for LI".

Happy to discuss this at the upcoming Hartbury or Ealing games in person if you wish.

On a separate note, 'assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups' but i assume the forum administrators have been in touch regarding your abusive tone of language in the above response? If not i'm sure the Sports Network administrators will be.

Have a great day.

Griff (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 14:44
Full disclosure:

I did consider warning people about calling you names but I couldn't in good conscience because, while I abhor the language used and name calling in general, I couldn't actually fault the sentiment. What kind of person posts that sort of stuff on a rugby message board?

I assume from your post that you've reported the matter to Sport Network - if not feel free. I look forward to seeing what their take on it is.

Incidentally I would say offering on a message board to "discuss [something] in person" could be read as a physical threat. In the circumstances that seems ill-judged. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but please refrain from similar in future.

If anyone has any problems with this take on the matter I'm happy to discuss it here, via PM or on email (you can even approach me at a match, happy to chat, no threat implied - I'm in with the drummers just ask someone). I run this place single-handed these days (I literally can't get the staff - shout up if you'd like to help out). It's when this sort of stuff crops-up that I really miss having (a) co-editor(s) since we can bounce off each other and get to a collaborative solution. I'd far rather people just understood how to behave in a public forum.

GHA (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 14:57
Would it've been better if he'd called him a nincompoop Griff?

People talk about meeting up to discuss differences on this board all the time

Sometimes this board feels like one rule for some, another for others. Maybe that's because you're running the place single-handedly as you say, which is no fault of your own

Shawshank (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 15:05
Agreed Griff.

BTW - didn't know that MM had retired?

I very much appreciate the time and effort you give to the sitethumbs down

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 17:37
Quote:
GHA
Would it've been better if he'd called him a nincompoop Griff?
People talk about meeting up to discuss differences on this board all the time

Sometimes this board feels like one rule for some, another for others. Maybe that's because you're running the place single-handedly as you say, which is no fault of your own

Well this seems to me like the ideal opportunity for you to step in and help out, as you feel that there are inequalities on the message board to how people get treated and Griff is under staffed, I see it as a win win.....

GHA (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 22:06
My first rule would be to ban people who pick out individual users and harass them

I suggested we migrate to reddit or similar a while ago so there is less pressure from those on high. If memory serves me correctly you provided the first response, LiBo. Something along the lines of 'off you go then.' Charming.

Alphacat (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 01:38
+1 for Reddit, though this is all a bit off-topic.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 08:34
Reddit is blocked in some workplaces.

GHA (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 08:50
Good point SB

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 10:27
Quote:
GHA
My first rule would be to ban people who pick out individual users and harass them
I suggested we migrate to reddit or similar a while ago so there is less pressure from those on high. If memory serves me correctly you provided the first response, LiBo. Something along the lines of 'off you go then.' Charming.

The first rule of bullying is to hide among the victims [u][/u]
I will take this as a no then, as to my suggestion to help out Griff, to sooth your worries of inequality on the MB, you could have got your first rule pushed through, just think of the power you could wield!

MarkS (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 10:48
OK - I admit that the part of my comment relating to Ajax Treedown as a **** was a bit rude and I apologise to Griff for having caused him or the message board any problems. I also commit to not using such direct references in future. sorry for the distraction.

The rest of my message I stand by though.

Here's to promotion and happier days ahead

GHA (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 11:26
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
GHA

I will take this as a no then, as to my suggestion to help out Griff, to sooth your worries of inequality on the MB, you could have got your first rule pushed through, just think of the power you could wield!

Are you calling me a bully, LiBo?

I made a suggestion that would help out Griff, and SB pointed out a pitfall. If you're so keen for someone to help moderate the SportNetwork site what's stopping you?

On to Hartpury

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 13:24
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
GHA

Are you calling me a bully, LiBo?

I made a suggestion that would help out Griff, and SB pointed out a pitfall. If you're so keen for someone to help moderate the SportNetwork site what's stopping you?

On to Hartpury

You sort of come across that way to me, but that is me.

You seem to forget about the little winge you had about the MB being biased, it was only a suggestion of mine for you to help out, if you choose to take it personally then that's up to you.

As for me helping out, I do the odd match report, to help out, which is more than you ever do.

Don't go to Hartpury, as we are home against them.

GHA (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 14:25
(Sm120)

waltham (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 15:23
Sigh!we haven't had a decent squabble on here for ages....(Sm156)

echidna (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 16:20
Griff

Firstly, many thanks for all your efforts in keeping this messageboard alive and well. If it were possible to set up a private area for GHA and LI Bohemian to pursue their pointless bickering without bothering the rest of us I'm sure it would contribute greatly to everyone's enjoyment.

GHA (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 17:00
echidna - he's the one following me around

On to Hartpury

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net