rugbyunion
Latest News:

England Shambles
Shawshank (IP Logged)
23 February, 2019 18:31
Kicking, kicking, kicking the game away.

Borrowed from the London Irish playbook.

Farrell was truly appalling.

We didnít try to play any rugby and fully deserved a stinking defeat

Eddie should be sacked.

Re: England Shambles
Florida (IP Logged)
23 February, 2019 18:36
Quote:
Shawshank
Kicking, kicking, kicking the game away.
Borrowed from the London Irish playbook.

Farrell was truly appalling.

We didnít try to play any rugby and fully deserved a stinking defeat

Eddie should be sacked.

Shawshank, how do I say this politely... You're a @#$%&, kindly shut up.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
23 February, 2019 18:39
And what was wrong with my comment?

Play the ball fella, rather than the man.

Are you happy ar the amount of rugby we tried to play?

x_ile (IP Logged)
23 February, 2019 19:20
Maybe England only played as well as they were allowed to play!!!

Fell apart when their strong arm tactics didn't work and no plan B.

Heaf (IP Logged)
23 February, 2019 19:21
England did kick far too much - kicking out of your own half is one thing but they also kept kicking the ball away in attacking positions, That pointless kick at the end of the 1st half by Farrell being a good example - if they'd kept hold of the ball there they may have scored and I suspect would then have gone on to win,

Florida (IP Logged)
23 February, 2019 20:27
What was wrong with your comment? Eddie should be sacked. 6 months out from a world cup. Go home Shawshank, you're clearly drunk

Shawshank (IP Logged)
23 February, 2019 20:39
Just an opinion on a rugby forum.

Calm down fella.

tatthecraic2 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2019 22:12
Quote:
Shawshank
Just an opinion on a rugby forum.
Calm down fella.

Emotions run high after a grandslam gets ended.

Take a step back and look at it come next week.

Wales are not 3rd in the word for nothing. Nothing to be too ashamed of, in rugby there are wins and losses.

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2019 22:53
Did England not train with us this week? Did our tactics rub off 😂😂

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2019 22:59
Woeful second half from England, rarely had the ball but when they did they kicked to a Welsh back 3 that dealt with it all day long. Youngs and farrell particularly poor. Why has eddie called up Robson if he doesn't trust him?

orsoncart (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 07:07
Good for Wales, they absolutely deserved the win. England were pretty shocking in the second half.

What should worry England is that there was no one on the field who seemed to be able to change the tactic that, so obviously, wasn't working. Given the number of water breaks etc, the coaching staff didn't seem to get a message on to change the tactic either. That was quite surprising.

Steelman (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 07:50
Kicking the ball away is such a high risk strategy.It really suited the Welsh back three ,they love a bit of open field.Do you remember the days when it was a mortal sin if the kicker didn't find touch.
Very amused by AWJ ,s performance. As his physical powers fade he has reinvented himself as alternatively the victim,and the next great Welsh politician.The farcical episode as he tried to slip Sinclairs bear hug and get to ground was memorable...he,s strangling me Sir !
Anyway,we deserved to lose, I can't bring myself to say it the other way round.

LLL (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 08:58
I concur with Shawshank.

Aimlessly kicking the ball straight back down the oppos throat is beyond clueless.

Itís negative beyond reality hence I stopped going after 18 years.

In the old days Elvis, Deleon, Maps and the gang used to love getting possession and ran at the opposition. And caused mayhem and we were successful.

In modern days when we get possession we wet our shorts and hoof it straight back.

And we are rubbish. Like England yesterday.

HMRH (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 09:10
Blimey thatís a dark start to a Sunday. England were exciting to watch in the first 2 games and I thought yesterday was a terrific test match. England should have scored again at end of first half. Wales didnít crack and grew into the game. Tactically England werenít on the button as the kicking didnít work with Williams superb at 15

Not sure LI have the players to play the style you want - which Prem side, if any, are closer stylistically to the game you want played?

Steelman (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 10:05
Glaws please,
It'll be like that at Brentford soon, a 17,000 baying crowd of Paddies,on a Friday night,
lovely running rugby,and you ole Berkshire boys won't be able to get tickets...
..snorgh,oh I was dreaming.

Horticbm (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 10:36
As an Irish supporter, this has really set a Cat between the pidgeons.For any neutral, its added spice to the Six Nations, which was looking to go one way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/02/2019 10:37 by Horticbm.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 13:37
Would not describe England as a shambles, this was the strong Welsh team at home, they have belief, England gave away too many penalties and could not run the ball against one of the best defences in the world.
you have to kick to release the pressure of going backwards with the ball in hand.
The kicking game worked previously for England, mainly because they exploited two rookie full backs.
No one ranted about the kicking game in the other matches, so it must be just sore losers.
Anyway I'm going to the Wales v Ireland game, so it's win win for me.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 13:57
When itís obvious that your kicking game isnít working/ off form most sane folks would try a different tactic.

And how on earth is criticising your teams tactics being a Ďsore loserí?

Everyone has said Wales deserved the win...

x_ile (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 14:52
Doing the exactly same thing over and over in the hope that one may eventually get a different result was claimed by Einstein to be a definition of insanity.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 17:44
So to round up the points so far England are insane, should sack the coach and are a shambles.

I donít agree with any of those points, England beat the team above them in the world rankings and lost to the team below them, both were away fixtures and they employed the same tactics, they didn't execute them as well against Wales, you cannot just change tactics halfway through the game because the team is selected to play a certain way.
England just didn't and were not allowed to play with any assertion. Well done Wales, back to the drawing board for England.
The point that you feel Jones should be sacked months before a world cup, says it all really

Shawshank (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 18:35
LiBo

You canít change tactics during a game..?

Priceless.

(Sm23)

Bazzo (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 19:33
Calling for Jones to be sacked before the World Cup and after inflicting the only defeat under Schmidt in Ireland..... priceless

no17 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 19:51
I think we should start a petition for Shawshank to be the star guest at half-time at the next home game .. such entertainment. Imagine Caimh's delight.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 21:23
Quote:
Shawshank
LiBo
You canít change tactics during a game..?

Priceless.

(Sm23)

Well you proved me wrong with your unoriginal reply and a spinning imoji.
Can you give me an example of teams at international level completely changing their approach to a game plan half way through it, one that they have been devising over an extensive period that was very successful in their two previous bonus point achieved, games?

Shawshank (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 07:54
Martin Johnson's View

"As a good team, you need to be able to change mid-flow and change what you are doing, and they just couldn't do it.

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 09:04
What about England v Italy after the no contact fiasco in the first half?

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 09:32
I have a lot of respect for Martin Johnson as a captain and player, but his coaching and ability to control how teams played speaks for itself, he always had trouble keeping a full team on the pitch, I don't know if a more successful coach would definitely say that teams should change halfway through the match, with what they perceived to be the best way to win games for the players selected, they just didn't execute the game plan or I think Jones was outsmarted by Gatland, this still does not make England insane, a shambles or grounds to sack the coach IMO.
As for Italy game England just changed their approach to the ruck, instigated by Launchbery I think. They were a shambles that day, but not this Saturday.

Finno (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 09:59
As a neutral watching on Saturday is was an absolutely cracking game!

My take on this years Six Nations is that it's more about preparation for the World Cup than actually trying to win it.

Ireland got a serious reality check against England, and I was there to watch it, for my sins.

England got their reality check last Saturday, just as the 'We can win the World Cup' brigade started to swing into action after two good wins!

I think Ireland and England will benefit from these defeats.

Wales reality check is on it's way, as I don't believe that Welsh side is as good as they believe they are.

But...isn't it better to have these setbacks now, rather than sail through this 6 Nations thinking all is rosy in the garden and then screw up at the World Cup..

NMB (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 10:37
I thought this was going to be the closest 6 Nations in a long time with 4 really good teams in it all capable of beating each other. It hasn't quite happened for Scotland (yet) but their injuries have had an impact.

The results haven't quite gone as I had expected (I pretty much had the home side winning every game) but it will go down to the last weekend with 3, potentially 4 teams capable of winning it if Scotland pull something out of the bag against Wales. so it is living up to the billing.

There is no shame to losing to Wales, they are a very good team who played very well. It is definitely frustrating especially at the time but England played poorly in the second half mostly because Wales put so much pressure on and played so well, not because England are a shambles and lost their heads.

Calling for Eddie's sacking was very funny though and I needed a laugh so soon after the game ended

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net