rugbyunion
Latest News:

Championship Final
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 18:05
We are playing Ealing

Match played 3/4/5 May

Venue and match date to be announced at a later date.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Re: Championship Final
Marbo (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 21:42
I hope common sense prevails and they don't play it on the 4th May as that is the day of the Army vs Navy game at Twickeham. Would personally prefer it on 5th May and at Ealing's ground would make a great day out could create a real atmosphere. Plus I have no great desire to see Reading FC reap the reward of bar takings of two passionate fanbases on a finals day.

DaveandEl (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 22:04
Prefer to play final at The Stoop on the Sunday or go to High Wycombe on the Saturday (if Wycombe Wanderers are away)
Ealing pitch is 'plastic' and will assist them even though we have won there on both league
matches. Why should we give them home advantage.

Irish 'Stoker (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 22:48
Quote:
Marbo
I hope common sense prevails and they don't play it on the 4th May as that is the day of the Army vs Navy game at Twickeham. Would personally prefer it on 5th May and at Ealing's ground would make a great day out could create a real atmosphere. Plus I have no great desire to see Reading FC reap the reward of bar takings of two passionate fanbases on a finals day.

Reading at home on 5th (last day of their championship season)

Alphacat (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 23:29
Yeah, I really don't want to have the final be in Reading, would be bad atmosphere. Besides, with Ealing having the higher ranking coming into playoffs I don't think it would even be fair to do so.

Ealing's ground or The Stoop would be fine.

waltham (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 08:33
Hope it's the Sunday wherever it is as we are away till the Saturday evening ...fingers crossed.

DaveandEl (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 10:06
On Saturday 4th Quins at home to Tigers and Wycombe Wanderers at home to Fleetwood. So it would have to be Sunday if those grounds are to be considered.

Alternative on Saturday would be Richmond/ London Scottish ground. About same seating capacity as Ealing and a grass pitch.

Fursa (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 11:07
4.11 The winners of the two semi-final Matches will proceed to the cup final. The cup final will be played at a venue determined by the Tournament Organiser in accordance with Regulation 5.4.

5.4 The Tournament Organiser will take the decision on the location of the final venue with regard to the best interests of the Clubs participating in the competition and other commercial issues.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 12:40
Stoop on 5 May is a good call.

TV and TMO cameras will already be in place if they want to televise it.

Marbo (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 17:14
I am sure Sky have the rights to broadcast it. Though I am usually anti-Sky (don't get me started). I support the game being on TV 100% if it means we minimise the ridiculous amounts of high shots and sub par officiating decisions like we saw yesterday.

Sunbury bumkin (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 17:23
“5.4 The Tournament Organiser will take the decision on the location of the final venue with regard to the best interests of the Clubs participating in the competition and other commercial issues.”

I’m afraid I’m a bit sceptical about the notion that the organisers will have any regard for the “the best interests of the Clubs participating”!

On this basis, I’ll take a punt on Franklin’s Gardens.

PV (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 17:14
Ha ha, it is at Ealing - so much for the above....4 May and 4.30 pm

RodB (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 17:27
Not so neutral then.........

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 17:36
Have we ever lost there...?

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 17:51
Quote:
SixNineOne
Have we ever lost there...?

Never lost at Brentford, either!

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

DaveandEl (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 17:52
No, played two, won two but both games close.
We certainly outnumbered thir fans on opening game this season.
They only had attendance of 450 on Sunday for their semi final.
Capacity about 4,000 with 1,000 seats
Match is one week on from our last league match at the MadStad
against. EALING

WIN THE LEAGUE AND CUP DOUBLE IN 8 DAYS 🏆🏆

PV (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 18:51
How do they fit 4000 in?

Fursa (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 19:09
Hopefully the League will be won before the last league game on 27 April

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 19:10
Quote:
PV
How do they fit 4000 in?

Well, a devious combination of mirrors and stepladders I've heard.

Fursa (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 19:19
“5.4 The Tournament Organiser will take the decision on the location of the final venue with regard to the best interests of the Clubs participating in the competition and other commercial issues.”

How is playing the game on Ealing's home ground "in the best interests of the clubs participating" and what are the "other commercial interest" bearing ion mind the capacity of Ealing's ground and the lack of seating.

Ajax Treesdown (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 19:36
Why do people care so much where this stupid tin pot cup final is being played? The sooner we leave this@#$%&division and the pub teams in it the better.

Thinking it was ever going to be played at the stoop is hilarious. The stoop with 800 people packed into it wouldn’t be a good look.

PV (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 20:08
Richmond would’ve been a good shout.

tomthepom (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 21:10
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
PV
How do they fit 4000 in?

(Sm6)

There's the additional factor that, since the start of Sept when ET last hosted LI, the London Broncos - who share the ground - were promoted to Super League in Oct. As a result of this, they've added some extra seating, and the Broncos recently started their Super League season...

tomthepom (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 21:13
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
The sooner we leave this@#$%&division and the pub teams in it the better.

nasty spiteful troll... & in fairness entirely untypical of the many wonderful rugby folk from London Irish who've acted as great ambassadors for their club all season all season (and in 2016/17 too). The old saying about the minority spoiling it for the majority springs to mind...

PV (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 21:26
Quote:
tomthepom
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
PV
How do they fit 4000 in?

(Sm6)

There's the additional factor that, since the start of Sept when ET last hosted LI, the London Broncos - who share the ground - were promoted to Super League in Oct. As a result of this, they've added some extra seating, and the Broncos recently started their Super League season...

Good shout!

Brian_N (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 21:57
Ealing Trailfinders v. London Irish at Vallis Way Sat 4 May.

26 February, 2019 22:15
Quote:
tomthepom
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown

nasty spiteful troll... & in fairness entirely untypical of the many wonderful rugby folk from London Irish who've acted as great ambassadors for their club all season all season (and in 2016/17 too). The old saying about the minority spoiling it for the majority springs to mind...

If you love it so much go and follow Ealing / Richmond / Yorkshire - sides they have no chance of promotion.

Us being in this league is a disaster both financially and how we are viewed by the suits in the RFU. If we come straight back down next season then whose to say they won’t ring fence us with the rest as we clearly aren’t up to it?

We need to get promoted and never return to this league. Yes the away days are ‘lovely and pleasant and cute’ but I’ll swap them for Leicester / Gloucester away in a league that actually means something thanks.

dooj106 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 23:26
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Quote:
tomthepom
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown

If you love it so much go and follow Ealing / Richmond / Yorkshire - sides they have no chance of promotion.

Us being in this league is a disaster both financially and how we are viewed by the suits in the RFU. If we come straight back down next season then whose to say they won’t ring fence us with the rest as we clearly aren’t up to it?

We need to get promoted and never return to this league. Yes the away days are ‘lovely and pleasant and cute’ but I’ll swap them for Leicester / Gloucester away in a league that actually means something thanks.

This so called 'crap division' has produced some of the best English players in the premiership as well as a significant number of current England internationals having come through this league. On top of that, a number of premiership teams have signed championship players recently either for the remaining part of this season or next season. Not bad for 'a set of pub teams!!!'

As a shareholder in premiership rugby we are unlikely to be ring fenced out. It is more likely that any ring fenced premiership will be expanded otherwise lawsuits are going to be coming out of the woodwork. The champ teams have already threatened legal action if promotion is taken away so again wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of expansion to include a side like Yorkshire who have all the makings of being a prem club from an off field point of view and think they will be right up there next season from an on field point of view

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 23:55
And there it is! Professor Treesdown's annual "pub team" statement.

piratepilot (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 09:45
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Why do people care so much where this stupid tin pot cup final is being played? The sooner we leave this@#$%&division and the pub teams in it the better.
Thinking it was ever going to be played at the stoop is hilarious. The stoop with 800 people packed into it wouldn’t be a good look.

With all due respect, if this league is so full of rubbish pub teams, why do you keep coming down to join it? Your team clearly isn't up to the standard of the premiership if you can't stay up there. It isn't your God-given right to be in the premiership any more than it is for anyone else. Go back to football if that's your attitude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/02/2019 09:47 by piratepilot.

Florida (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 10:16
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown

Indeed, back to the premiership where we can compete in the premiership cup, that noone gives a damn about AND have the added pleasure of being beaten by proper teams. Much bettet than being run close, in some cases beaten and getting many a scare from these "pub teams" with their awesome grounds and friendly supporters.

PV (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 11:39
Let's all move on shall we.

Ealing on a nice warm evening, need a lunchtime boozer location pre match, came by train last time and went straight into the ground

Fursa (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 13:29
The Duke of Kent
, a fuller's Pub is close by

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 14:20
Quote:
piratepilot
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown

With all due respect, if this league is so full of rubbish pub teams, why do you keep coming down to join it? Your team clearly isn't up to the standard of the premiership if you can't stay up there. It isn't your God-given right to be in the premiership any more than it is for anyone else. Go back to football if that's your attitude.

Meow.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

tomthepom (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 14:24
Quote:
Fursa
The Duke of Kent
, a fuller's Pub is close by

Good call - only 3-4 mins walk away, and you can get a bus there from Eal Bdy station

Gillhooley (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 15:28
Ahoy hoy,
I’ve been to Ealing before and the matchday parking is not the best organised - no fault of the stewards.
Can anyone suggest an alternative site?

Cheers
Gooly

tomthepom (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 16:52
Quote:
Gillhooley
Ahoy hoy,
I’ve been to Ealing before and the matchday parking is not the best organised - no fault of the stewards.
Can anyone suggest an alternative site?

Cheers
Gooly

If your name is Gooly, take ID and claim to be related to the Ealing benefactor Mike Gooley (ignoring the slight spelling difference) - you'll be shown straight to the VIP car parking area

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/02/2019 19:28 by tomthepom.

mulledwinemarie (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 17:32
who knows - maybe a 50% share/booze of gates - rather going into the pocket of EALING rather THAN QUINS/SAINTS ETC.

MAYBE coaches laid on from SUNBURY THERE AND BACK and a BBQ for everyone laid on AFTER AND MAYBE A BIT OF MUSIC......end of season PARTY and maybe even promotion? AND A CUP.

looking at flights -)):: -

COME ONUIRISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH))::

everyone needs to dream

MWM

GLORY GLORY LONDON IRISH - and loving it......

well I used to ...............

Irish 'Stoker (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 18:57
[quote Fursa]The Duke of Kent
, a fuller's Pub is close by[/quote

Ssshhh! I was hoping for a quiet one or two! :-) in all seriousness a good shout

Rob C (IP Logged)
28 February, 2019 11:52
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown

Wanna compare honours boards? Thought not...

Cov Supporter

NickK (IP Logged)
28 February, 2019 18:33
Tickets for Championship Final now available on Ealing website. May the fourth be with us, always.

28 February, 2019 20:59
Quote:
Rob C
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown

Cov Supporter

Cherio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/02/2019 21:04 by Ajax Treesdown.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
28 February, 2019 21:11
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Quote:
Rob C
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown

Cov Supporter

Those three National League One titles are very impressive well done.

That's not what an honours board displays. Classy post btw, another valuable contribution

28 February, 2019 22:16
Let’s hope we don’t go up so we can continue enjoying these lovely days out.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
28 February, 2019 22:48
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Let’s hope we don’t go up so we can continue enjoying these lovely days out.

Maybe we should do that and sign Savea as well, another great idea!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net