rugbyunion
Latest News:

London Irish attendances
paulm1953 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 08:15
When was the last time that London Irish had a chance of winning some silverware (it was the European Challenge cup final versus Gloucester at the Stoop, I think, where we lost in extra time) and yet only 1,208 turned up on a sunny day for last Sunday's semi final. Very poor.

Where are the fans? Is it because it was a Sunday? London Irish's low key marketing of the game?

Come on you Irish

Paul

Re: London Irish attendances
Shawshank (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 09:15
Paul, werenít you at HQ in 2009 v Tigers...?(Sm151)

I didnít go as it really is a Mickey Mouse tournament and feel a bit peeved that the club did not make a gesture and make it free for ST holders.

Assuming we win the Championship I will probably go to see the final however in celebratory mood.

doublebass (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 09:20
I would like to suggest that the last time London Irish won silverware was the Greene King IPA Rugby Championship nearly 2 years ago !!

Having said the above I agree the attendance was poor (In a way I was pleased as the ref for the day did absolutely nothing to promote the game of rugby in general in my view). The hand that was dealt the club ie Sunday / Ireland V Italy etc did not make it easy for them to promote the game but frankly I dont see any promotion for games of any type other than what I would call internal promotion ie in programmes / on the big screen and via the newsletters all of which must be to London Irish ''converts'' what is needed is new attendees.

I notice at this stage ie one month to go there have been no other parts of the ground opened for the Paddy's day game so this must also be selling poorly 2 years ago if I am correct it was V Cornish Piarates and there was a good attendance it doesnt look like it this year as things stand. Little or no external promotion of the game me thinks. - How about incentives like buy 2 or more tickets to Paddy's day to help the promotion push and get priority booking over season tickets next season if we go up ie after current holders but before new holders ? or discounted tickets for the first 2 home games next season - something like that ?

Xprop (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 09:27
It's a rather pointless competition that's only purpose is to provide a few extra games.

Clubs are expected to put out their second teams.

It's not included in the season ticket.

There was lots of 6N games on TV at the weekend.

Still, 12,008 is not bad smiling smiley

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 09:46
If Brand had started I would have gone.

Aa545 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 11:27
Attendance was low because it wasn't played in London, would have sold out of it was.

doublebass (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 17:28
If it would have sold out of in London why have they got 2 teams from London/surronds playing on the final and play it on a pitch where the capacity for crowd is I believe under 5000 ? Surely somewhere better could have been found ?

Xprop (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 18:19
Quote:
doublebass
If it would have sold out of in London why have they got 2 teams from London/surronds playing on the final and play it on a pitch where the capacity for crowd is I believe under 5000 ? Surely somewhere better could have been found ?

You know where final will be played? Do tell.

GHA (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 07:03
The final's at Ealing on 4th May.

doublebass, I think Aa545 was trying to be funny

Bazzo (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 08:29
Attendances are very poor, lets be honest, not great for a side winning every week. Thank God for the drummers !

Hope that the run in for getting promoted has a few more people coming along. The cup final will only get a few along, it is not the greatest competition, at least it will be on TV for some of us.

The interesting thing will be next year in the Premiership (Hopefully) and now that the Brentford deal is sealed, what kind of local support will there be? Very poor I would say.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net