rugbyunion
Latest News:

Formerly of this parish
Shropshire Hugh (IP Logged)
23 March, 2019 20:05
I was flicking through the 'Usual Suspects' profiles from 10 or more years ago. So many have fallen by the wayside..Reading Glasses, TPL, CHRIS (Hooray Henley), Billy Bisach to name but a few, all club stalwarts at one time or t'other. And I wasnt grey and used to get to games!) Hey ho, a different time....

Live in West Wales, work in England, supporting Scotland and London Irish

Re: Formerly of this parish
plzd (IP Logged)
23 March, 2019 21:19
Quote:
Shropshire Hugh
I was flicking through the 'Usual Suspects' profiles from 10 or more years ago. So many have fallen by the wayside..Reading Glasses, TPL, CHRIS (Hooray Henley), Billy Bisach to name but a few, all club stalwarts at one time or t'other. And I wasnt grey and used to get to games!) Hey ho, a different time....
off shopping instead

Yeoman (IP Logged)
24 March, 2019 14:17
Ahh, SH, those were the days when this MB was full of fun and optimism. Other names included Mrs. Goz, DublinAnnette, Oxon Rob (RIP), Russ O'Callaghan, Donaghadee, Brian C, NoExpert, etc. (we even had trolls in those days!).

HMRH (IP Logged)
24 March, 2019 16:04
So where did everyone go? Maybe relegation and/or Reading but why stop being on the MB?

mulledwinemarie (IP Logged)
24 March, 2019 16:31
I am still here - and I did start to think - "they cannot all be dead"??? but obviously SOCIAL MEDIA is to blame - f++king FACEBOOK - can I say that - so why do we not all come back and be nice again - see I never went away -(maybe some would wish I HAD)

THIS MESSAGEBOARD USED TO BE - AS YOU SAY - fun - ridiculas - but never nasty..........

we will need to be brave and funny and nice again to keep LONDON IRISH up there with the good guys when we are back (HOPEFULLY) WHERE WE BELONG.................

LOVE TO ALL PAST AND PRESENT.X

marie

MWM

GLORY GLORY LONDON IRISH - and loving it......

well I used to ...............

TheRealAngeB (IP Logged)
24 March, 2019 18:27
We stopped attending regularly after the 2013/14 season for lots of reasons and have now moved to France. I still check on “our” results every game and still consider myself a supporter but have probably seen less than a quarter of our current squad play so I don’t feel qualified to comment on here. The last game we went to was vs Agen away in Jan 2016, where we bumped into MadMonk. I’m hoping that we will get to another game WHEN we are promoted and play in France again.

annie@li (IP Logged)
24 March, 2019 21:38
Still here. I never really posted much but used to read the board. I knew a lot of the people who posted in real life. Now I check occasionally but stopped visiting for quite awhile because it felt as though so many of the postings were unpleasant and insulting.

MarkS (IP Logged)
25 March, 2019 12:36
This board became very toxic for a while - its better now but not as much fun as it used to be. I think people just though “f**k it, its not worth the grief”. Well, onwards and upwards - lots of different opinions without the insults would be great.

bigbitty (IP Logged)
25 March, 2019 14:13
It's also been a long long time since we've had any great O/T subjects and discussions.

GHA (IP Logged)
25 March, 2019 14:20
When was it toxic?

MarkS (IP Logged)
25 March, 2019 15:58
It became toxic with Tom Coventry but then the comments about the 3 amigos took it to another level. Anything positive was sh@t on from a height with mocking comments around #bleedgreen etc. Lots of stuff about players not trying, coaches incompetent, supporters delusional - as I said it’s picked up recently a bit

Blarney (IP Logged)
25 March, 2019 17:43
Been here for 16 years. Threads less varied and less of a “community” feel these days but still the best (only?) place for LI news and discussion.

I think claims the board was “toxic” are a bit melodramatic, nothing wrong with a bit of disagreement and “robust” debate. Hopefully, as our fortunes as a team improve, we might see the old place liven up again.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
25 March, 2019 17:58
Back in the early days of this site, in 2003, and its Rivals predecessor, there weren’t many other forms of social media available. We were new to Reading, and following a local pro rugby team was pretty exciting. The amount of traffic, even during the off season, was amazing compared to now.

Indeed, there were at times 2 other LI supporters sites, but the OSB closed down a few years ago and the Sunbury Centre is now basically moribund.

I think it’s a combo of Facebook, and our depressingly declining results and attendances.

Maybe club rugby is also generally less exciting and interesting than it was back in the day.

BaltiBoy (IP Logged)
26 March, 2019 02:07
I'm still here and read the message board daily.

If I'm honest I don't think other forms of social media are to blame for the lack of action on this site. I think it's simply down to the fact that Irish's supporter base has rapidly declined over the last few years due to obvious reasons.

In my case (and I'm being brutally honest here) I have absolutely no interest in watching Championship rugby. Thus I don't feel qualified to make any informed comment on here, hence my absence.

I'm sure if (and when) Irish are promoted this message board will once again flourish as attendances increase.

Cheers & Beers
BB

swindonirish (IP Logged)
26 March, 2019 11:37
Didn’t renew ST in 2013 due to redundancy, and intended to “cherry pick” games going forward. But tbh easy to get out off the habit of going regularly. Can count on one hand games that we have been to since.
Moving to Brentford is the proverbial nail I’m afraid as we stay there for England games and know all about transport issues in the area.
Still have a look now and again on this board and always check out the results.
Main thing we miss is all the friends we made going to games home and away!!

27 March, 2019 06:37
I now live in Greece, therefore don't get to games. The boys are now 30 plus and one has 2 boys of his own. They never stop reminding me of the pain and unnecessarily suffering I imposed on them by making them Scotland and London Irish supporters! Curiously the LI affiliation has lasted longer than Scotland, they both now lean to England which is painful. I think bringing your children up not expecting success is an important parenting lesson.....winking smiley

27 March, 2019 06:51
Back in the 90's when we started the first message board, there was just one long thread and everything just added to the bottom! I used to print off all 'todays messages' at work before reading them on the train home, up to 10 pages of A4, a lot of banter, a tiny bit of rugby, mainly arranging picnics, recipes for MWMs spicy melons, wig retailers etc etc!! I doubt any of us would have known a drift defence from a creme de menthe! Different, but happy times.

Clontarf (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 09:29
I doubt any of us would have known a drift defence from a creme de menthe!

Love it

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 10:27
I think I can help you there, a creme de menthe is a green drink and the other one is a Clint Eastwood film.

wattshisname (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 13:09
Quote:
Shropshire Hugh
Back in the 90's when we started the first message board, there was just one long thread and everything just added to the bottom! I used to print off all 'todays messages' at work before reading them on the train home, up to 10 pages of A4, a lot of banter, a tiny bit of rugby, mainly arranging picnics, recipes for MWMs spicy melons, wig retailers etc etc!! I doubt any of us would have known a drift defence from a creme de menthe! Different, but happy times.

I think we should focus our attention on Marie's Mulled Wine recipe rather than her Spicy Melons.

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 22:48
Quote:
LI Bohemian
I think I can help you there, a creme de menthe is a green drink and the other one is a Clint Eastwood film.

I think The Big Yin had a pint of the former A’s it’s what the Pope drinks..

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

TheRealAngeB (IP Logged)
29 March, 2019 07:26
We still use Oxon Rob’s sloe gin recipe

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
29 March, 2019 10:10
Quote:
Foggy-Balla
Quote:
LI Bohemian

Apparently woke up in a doorway afterwards.

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
29 March, 2019 15:28
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
Foggy-Balla
Quote:
LI Bohemian

Apparently woke up in a doorway afterwards.

Who, the Holy Father? One would have thought the Swiss Guards would have carried him back to his pontifical pit as he told them (in Latin) they were his bezzer mates & he fecking loved them (Sm14)

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/03/2019 22:12 by Foggy-Balla.

JamesC (IP Logged)
29 March, 2019 18:23
Nostalgia ain’t wot it used to be

Yeoman (IP Logged)
29 March, 2019 20:20
Good to see that humour is still out there. Long may it continue here whatever the performances/results.
OxonRob would be proud of your correct use of the apostrophe, AngeB.
Hope to see some of you at Penzance tomorrow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net