rugbyunion
Latest News:

RFU and Tiggers
Florida (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 13:09
Should Tiggers go down, the RFU are happy to change the rules so England can still pick their players.

Re: RFU and Tiggers
GHA (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 13:11
Cute ain't it

Your players aren't good enough to stay in the Premiership but they'll be good enough for international rugby

Hypothetically speaking, of course. I think they'll stay up

Heaf (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 13:26
Quote:
Florida
Should Tiggers go down, the RFU are happy to change the rules so England can still pick their players.

Was there ever an actual rule saying they couldn't select from the Championship and if so how can they just ignore it now?

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 13:39
Tigers have
Exeter H
Newcastle A
Bristol H
Quins A
I predict they should get 6 points in total and so avoid relegation, if they were to be relegated it would make our plight seem less hurtfu,l for some reason, guess I'm a bit small minded.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 13:45
Joe got picked to tour whilst in the Championship, so can't see there ever having been a rule against it.

GHA (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 13:47
Maybe some people on here expected more selections, M_W

HMRH (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 13:55
I think the issue is the Release agreement which is only with PRL, I donít believe it covers the Championship but Iím not that sure on my ground.

If Leicester are not obliged to release them surely the question is whether they would? To be fair this change benefits England not necessarily Leicester as England would lose several players from the named elite squad.

I think LI were technically a Premiership side when Joe was selected?

dooj106 (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 14:01
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Tigers have
Exeter H
Newcastle A
Bristol H
Quins A

And finish off with Bath (H).

The Newcastle and Bristol games are key. Can see it going to the last game of the season and then anything possible.

Florida (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 14:03
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Joe got picked to tour whilst in the Championship, so can't see there ever having been a rule against it.

I believe the rule was brought in post our first stint in the Championship, can't seem to find it now so it's entirely possible I made it up :/

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 14:42
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker

I believe the rule was brought in post our first stint in the Championship, can't seem to find it now so it's entirely possible I made it up :/

I remember reading something about it, may be like the Irish unwritten rule. Thatís why Joe had to go, he was probably the reason it was brought in. Canít think of many others players who would have been playing championship rugby and getting a England call up

Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 16:27
Where did you get this interesting piece of information from Florida ?

HMRH (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 16:28
Pennell at Worcester maybe

Florida (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 19:08
Quote:
Lincs-Exile
Where did you get this interesting piece of information from Florida ?

Chris Jones of the BBC. Here's the article [www.bbc.co.uk]

While I can't currently find anything that states players can't be picked from the Championship, for the RFU to state they are willing to move forward and pick championship players makes me think I didn't dream it...

27 March, 2019 19:59
Interesting, I don't read that as there having been a ban before.

Realistically players aren't going to be picked from the Championship to play for England unless they are well established internationals or youngsters on the fast track getting a feel for the senior England environment like Joe did.

We've not had any more players in those brackets the two times we've been down imo. If Tigers were to go down, I'd have no problem with May (for example) continuing to be picked if he stuck with them

Florida (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 20:07
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Realistically players aren't going to be picked from the Championship to play for England unless they are well established internationals or youngsters on the fast track getting a feel for the senior England environment like Joe did.

We've not had any more players in those brackets the two times we've been down imo. If Tigers were to go down, I'd have no problem with May (for example) continuing to be picked if he stuck with them

I'm probably just going crazy in my rapidly advancing years.

27 March, 2019 20:14
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker

I'm probably just going crazy in my rapidly advancing years.

Nah, I'm more than capable of being completely wrong here.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 20:32
Quote:
dooj106
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Tigers have
Exeter H
Newcastle A
Bristol H
Quins A

And finish off with Bath (H).

The Newcastle and Bristol games are key. Can see it going to the last game of the season and then anything possible.

My mistake, did not scroll to end of list,
My prediction is 10points now.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 20:34
I am sure that there was a rule in place against picking players from the Championship as well. Can't find it though so could have just been rumour that I had taken as fact.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 20:38
There is definitely a rule that you can't play for Irish and get selected for England, it's called Marland's law.

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 22:44
Quote:
LI Bohemian
There is definitely a rule that you can't play for Irish and get selected for England, it's called Marland's law.

Whatís it called when a player leaves Irish because itís supposedly good for their career then they (at best) warm the bench at the new Club, never seeing first team Rugby?

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Ajax Treesdown (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 22:53
Quote:
Foggy-Balla
Quote:
LI Bohemian

Whatís it called when a player leaves Irish because itís supposedly good for their career then they (at best) warm the bench at the new Club, never seeing first team Rugby?

If the stories are to be believed (Chris Robshaw and Joe Marler) Sounds like Marland píd everyone off, is unprofessional and wasnít / isnít a popular guy.

On a side note he was never good enough for England regardless of who he played for.

Fursa (IP Logged)
27 March, 2019 22:56
Micawberism

GHA (IP Logged)
28 March, 2019 06:12
Marland Yarde has 13 caps

Wasn't he up against Nowell and Watson (British & Irish Lions), Ashton (Premiership winner and Top 14 record try scorer), Strettle (Premiership and Top 14 winner), and Jonny May (fruit loop) for most of his international career?

Shropshire Hugh (IP Logged)
28 March, 2019 10:31
What's it called when a player isn't good enough to get on the Irish bench and then moves to a much better side and miraculously becomes a first team regular and a much better player?

Living in the Ionian Isles so just lurking when wifi allows!

SirBurger (IP Logged)
28 March, 2019 11:26
Quote:
Shropshire Hugh
What's it called when a player isn't good enough to get on the Irish bench and then moves to a much better side and miraculously becomes a first team regular and a much better player?

Who springs to mind on that front? I am struggling...

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
28 March, 2019 11:31
James Short, prem winner either side of his stint with us

SirBurger (IP Logged)
28 March, 2019 13:00
Quote:
jimbo800
James Short, prem winner either side of his stint with us

Aside from those seasons where he won medals he has mainly sat on the bench for Exeter and likewise at Saracens.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
28 March, 2019 13:22
I think he played more than your average bench warmer. Rapid and massively underused by us, couldnít help but feel there was a clash there at some point.

GHA (IP Logged)
28 March, 2019 13:53
According to Statbunker, dunno what he's been doing this season

Saracens 09/10 - 4 appearances (1 start, 3 sub, 0 unused sub)
Saracens 10/11 - 21 appearances (18 starts, 3 sub, 3 unused sub) Prem Champions
Saracens 11/12 - 26 appearances (19 starts, 7 sub, 2 unused sub)
Saracens 12/13 - 18 appearances (14 starts, 4 sub, 3 unused sub)
Saracens 13/14 - 2 appearances (1 start, 1 sub, 0 unusued sub)
Wasps 13/14 - 7 appearances (7 starts, 0 sub, 0 unused sub)
Irish 14/15 - 19 appearances (15 starts, 4 sub, 0 unused sub)
Chiefs 15/16 - 24 appearances (20 starts, 4 sub, 1 unused sub) Prem Runners Up
Chiefs 16/17 - 24 appearances (17 starts, 7 sub, 1 unused sub) Prem Champions, AW Runners Up
Chiefs 17/18 - 14 appearances (8 starts, 6 sub, 0 unused sub) Prem Runners Up, AW Champions

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
28 March, 2019 17:34
Doesn't look like he was that underused from the data given, maybe it was when he was at Wasps he was seriously ignored

bigbitty (IP Logged)
29 March, 2019 06:35
Any way, back to the subject. There is an article in the Telegraph which suggests ring fencing is dead in the water.

Apparently the RFU have refused to allow ring fencing in the women's game, and this is being taken as their attitude to the Premiership. However, the idea now being circulated is for the league to be increased to 13, and in future seasons the last in the Premiership plays off against the winner of the Championship.

It is worth noting the the RFU's refusal of ring fencing in the club leagues is contrary to their horror at the thought of it happening to the International leagues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/03/2019 06:37 by bigbitty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net