rugbyunion
Latest News:

1 minute’s silence/applause
Shawshank (IP Logged)
31 March, 2019 19:42
I think even the relatives of Winston Churchill would have been more than a tad embarrassed had they witnessed the call for a minute’s applause this weekend across all 8 quarter finals for the sad recent demise of an obscure French rugby administrator.

No problem with say his local club having this, or even the home French teams.

With no offence to the bloke, but this has all seemed rather like virtue signalling, and rather cheapens the idea of a minute’s applause/silence, which surely we should keep for truly significant figures.

 
Re: 1 minute’s silence/applause
GHA (IP Logged)
01 April, 2019 08:45
Unpopular opinion but minute's applauses are cringy. I don't understand what was wrong with a minute of silent reflection / thought etc

 
Re: 1 minute’s silence/applause
waltham (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 15:29
Quote:
GHA
Unpopular opinion but minute's applauses are cringy. I don't understand what was wrong with a minute of silent reflection / thought etc
I'm kind with you on that GHA - especially with ALL "hats off" which used to be the tradition but no longer much observed.

 
Re: 1 minute’s silence/applause
DaveTVT (IP Logged)
05 April, 2019 22:07
I think a minutes applause has been popularized by sports where there is a high likelihood that certain sections of the crowd can't be trusted to keep their disrespectful gobs shut for 60 seconds.

 
Re: 1 minute’s silence/applause
Bazzo (IP Logged)
05 April, 2019 22:32
Quote:
Shawshank
I think even the relatives of Winston Churchill would have been more than a tad embarrassed had they witnessed the call for a minute’s applause this weekend across all 8 quarter finals for the sad recent demise of an obscure French rugby administrator.
No problem with say his local club having this, or even the home French teams.

With no offence to the bloke, but this has all seemed rather like virtue signalling, and rather cheapens the idea of a minute’s applause/silence, which surely we should keep for truly significant figures.

What difference does it make if you are some “obscure French administrator” the gentleman in question obviously contributed something to European rugby. How would you say someone should qualify for a minutes silence or applause? I am certain that he was a truly significant figure to his family and I am sure that they appreciated the gesture.

It would never bother me having a minutes silence or applause for any deceased person, be they a pauper or a President.

 
Re: 1 minute’s silence/applause
Bill the chip (IP Logged)
06 April, 2019 09:45
Bang on Bazzo!!!!!! We talk so often about the morals, team ethics etc in the game of rugby ..... surely 1 minute is not that great a deal out of our lives to show respect .. to someone who appears to have worked tirelessly for the good of OUR game!!!!! Even if the lesson is to pass the batten of respect on to the next generations coming to the game...

 
Re: 1 minute’s silence/applause
LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
06 April, 2019 10:02
I thought that when asked to clap it was by means of celebrating the persons life, instead of mourning their death.
If I don’t know the actual person, it always feels good to reflect on those we do know who were associated with the game.

 
Re: 1 minute’s silence/applause
Shawshank (IP Logged)
06 April, 2019 10:13
Bazzo - I’ll bet that no one attending the matches, apart from in France, had ever heard of him before.

I am sure that every week someone highly associated with our great game pops their clogs.

Should we therefore have a minute’s silence before every match? Wouldn’t that rather devalue the act of remembrance?

 
Re: 1 minute’s silence/applause
Bazzo (IP Logged)
06 April, 2019 12:57
Quote:
Shawshank
Bazzo - I’ll bet that no one attending the matches, apart from in France, had ever heard of him before.
I am sure that every week someone highly associated with our great game pops their clogs.

Should we therefore have a minute’s silence before every match? Wouldn’t that rather devalue the act of remembrance?

No.

It’s up to others to decide if they are worthy of such an act of remembrance. I did not know the gentleman and I doubt many did, but for all we know he could have been the unsung hero in European rugby, I have no idea. Someone decided he was worthy of the accolade and that’s good enough for me. I have no issue with celebrating or commemerating his life (for 60 seconds!) The issue for me is saying things like “we should keep for truly significant figures” we are all (including you) significant figures in lots of peoples lives. I would be as happy to show sympathies to the passing of a mini rugby coach as a World Cup winning one. But maybe that’s just me, are we not known for commererating the grave of an unknown soldier?

I don’t think that any act of rememberance could ever be devalued if it brings some comfort or solace to the family and friends of the bereaved, no matter how often it is done.

 
Re: 1 minute’s silence/applause
Shawshank (IP Logged)
06 April, 2019 15:21
Bazzo - something of a false equivalence.

The grave of the unknown soldier is the symbolic grave of every man killed in battle.

That is clearly deserving of a minute’s silence and remembrance.

 
Re: 1 minute’s silence/applause
LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
06 April, 2019 20:29
I'm thinking of setting up a committee to judge who is worth remembering, after they've past away in these busy times of today, I think we'll call them the remembrance police.
After all 1 minute is a whole 0.07% of a day!
What do ya think?


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?