rugbyunion
Latest News:

Josh Basham signs for Newcastle
Marbo (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 09:56
[www.rugbypass.com]

Very weird one - Basham sounded like a real promising young player for us was high flying in the under 20s. Then he disappeared to Durham Uni seeming to no longer being contracted to Irish, does one year of uni not affiliated to any clubs then signs a three year deal with Falcons.

Anyone know what went on here, I can't believe that we won't have offered him a senior contract ? Very weird situation but hope to see Basham playing soon sounds like a great talent just a shame it won't be in London Irish jersey.

Re: Josh Basham signs for Newcastle
Shawshank (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 10:09
It says he's combining his rugby with his full-time degree at Durham.

Seems a sensible plan for any young aspiring pro to do. There's a huge gulf between being an U20's starlet and being even a decent Club pro. Get a decent education in case the rugby doesn't work out.

And we can't offer contracts to all our academy lads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2019 10:09 by Shawshank.

Florida (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 10:17
Oh look, Newcastle wait until they no longer have to pay us any compensation and then it's announced. Absolutely shocking and poor form from both Josh and Newcastle

Marbo (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 10:19
I totally agree if I was in the same position as he is I would be doing the exact same. I suppose it just came down to a matter of geography.

I know we have lads on contracts whilst at uni but they are at places like Bath where training with the squad or making match day isn't too much travel. Logically I suppose it couldn't have combined full time at Durham and part time at Irish seems sensible.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 10:32
Quote:
Florida
Oh look, Newcastle wait until they no longer have to pay us any compensation and then it's announced. Absolutely shocking and poor form from both Josh and Newcastle

Yep, am fine with him moving if this worked for him, but if this was always the plan and the delay was just to avoid paying compensation, it's pretty poor by Newcastle especially.

Had heard that we would have been due it if he'd signed with them pre Jan 1st. Happy to be corrected on that though.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 10:47
I mean he was probably dead set on going to Durham Uni as once you've chosen a place in your mind that is that. Don't begrudge him following his desire to go to one of the top unis in the country and if he can pursue professional rugby close by then fair play.

It is quite clear Newcastle waited to announce this so they wouldn't have to pay compensation which is poor and possibly tapping up of a player before the Jan deadline? that being said didn't we do the same/similar with Alex Gray? its professional sport after all

PV (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 14:49
Championship rugby next season for him then

GHA (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 14:54
So if they'd announced it before January 1st we would've been owed compensation, is that right?

Shawshank (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 15:08
Can't see what's wrong. Them the rools.

And if Josh's salary was enhanced by the amount of the compo saving, again good luck to the young man.

New pro's get a pittance anyway and their career could be over before it's even started by getting a nasty injury.

GHA (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 15:12
Also it's not as though this was announced on January 2nd either

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2019 17:35
It is obvious and logical that it was going to happen as soon as decided to go to a university up there. It is a great place despite the locals not liking the softie southerners. He will do alright with another year or two in the championship. Good luck to him!

LLL (IP Logged)
03 April, 2019 04:27
I donít understand why it is seen as poor from Newcastle. Why burn money you donít have to? Good luck to the lad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net