rugbyunion
Latest News:

TRP article on Irish spending
HMRH (IP Logged)
07 April, 2019 07:49
Nick Cain basically saying Irish spending money they donít have on foreign imports that wonít guarantee success and will struggle in short term at least with crowds regardless of whether they stay up or not. Also has us in for Nadolo but wonder if thatís an error as in Naholo ?

I get the point he makes but we amply donít have the ability to attract top EQP or established Prem players until we can prove we can compete so not sure what else we can do?

Re: TRP article on Irish spending
Gazzle (IP Logged)
07 April, 2019 08:06
[youtu.be]

Wouldn't say no to Nadolo!

Blarney (IP Logged)
07 April, 2019 09:12
The fact that he canít differentiate between Naholo and Nadolo shows the depth and quality of his research.

I think the club has realised (as some of us have said for a while) that they have to spend to ensure survival next year. Our current squad wonít hack it and Iím glad that the club are taking steps to bring in real quality.

As for money we donít have, how does he know? What about the CVC money? (I know we donít have it yet but we will do).

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
07 April, 2019 10:36
He also mentioned that Coleman will be on £900k as a salary. I find this hard to believe. I donít see irish spending this amount of money on 1 player.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
07 April, 2019 11:19
That figure was from the original rumour article on Coleman (possibly rugbypass?).

Seems very far fetched. He'll likely be on a decent wedge though.

SteveS (IP Logged)
07 April, 2019 17:36
This is the same Nick Cain who writes about 50 articles a year supporting promotion and relegation. And then wonders why promoted teams are forced to spend a fortune merely to give themselves a chance of competing at the top level.

Nick loves a free market between the leagues but doesnít love what happens when you have a free market between the leagues.

He actually criticises Bristol for their spending, even though itís not really them in the frame to be playing in the Championship next season. How many times does that happen for newly promoted teams (he said ruefully)

plzd (IP Logged)
07 April, 2019 18:32
A league with no relegation would be like watching a load of friendlies most games would have at least one team with nothing to play for. The essence of sports is pressure and the consequences of failure

HMRH (IP Logged)
07 April, 2019 18:40
Think thatís a fair point SteveS

SteveS (IP Logged)
07 April, 2019 18:42
Quote:
plzd
A league with no relegation would be like watching a load of friendlies most games would have at least one team with nothing to play for. The essence of sports is pressure and the consequences of failure

Thatís fine but wasnít the point I was making. If you believe in that you canít criticise the huge wages spiral it creates, which is what Cain is trying to do

waltham (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 09:21
I heard recently that we have a new USA based investor. No idea how true but this really might be, but source ought to be pretty reliable.

norg2072 (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 11:31
Yes, I've been told we have new US investors as well.

NMB (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 11:39
So it may be that we are spending money that we do have... The Brentford stadium may have impacted our financial outlook as well (maybe).

But either way I don't see any alternative, we won't stay in the Prem any other way. Ideally we would have these players for longer before we return ala Bristol but that would mean spending even more money at greater risk.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 12:02
It would make more sense to have a USA investor, from my experience London Irish seem to have a wider appeal in the US than any other Rugby team, in general Americans love the brand, if we could have success it could be even better, big if though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net