rugbyunion
Latest News:

6 remaining tier 1 signings
Tom1215 (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 18:35
Just thought it would be nice to see peoples opinions on who they would like London irish to sign (realistic signings) before next season and why?

Re: 6 remaining tier 1 signings
SirBurger (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 19:02
Botha, Coleman, Mafi, Jackson, Naholo and one other would make up the ten.

Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 20:22
Didn't think that Botha was an international. I'd take him as an extra signing anyway (as apparently we may have signed a few non internationals too such as Richmond's Goodrick-Clarke).

If we got Coleman, Mafi, Jackson and Naholo, I'd look at getting another prop and then hooker or back five forward for the last one.

Steelman (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 20:34
Quote:
Lazyboy346
Didn't think that Botha was an international. I'd take him as an extra signing anyway (as apparently we may have signed a few non internationals too such as Richmond's Goodrick-Clarke).
If we got Coleman, Mafi, Jackson and Naholo, I'd look at getting another prop and then hooker or back five forward for the last one.

The Richmond lad has signed for Ealing.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 20:38
Quote:
Steelman
Quote:
Lazyboy346

The Richmond lad has signed for Ealing.

That was Trenier not Goodrick-Clarke

Florida (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 20:44
Quote:
SirBurger

Botha signed an extension with Munster so that's not happening

SirBurger (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 20:46
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
SirBurger

Ruan Botha, Sharks captain and second row.

Florida (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 20:50
Quote:
SirBurger
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
SirBurger

Ah, as you were then smiling smiley

PV (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 21:26
If we lose as many players from the squad as has been suggested and have the RWC to contend with, itís going to be one massive challenge getting the squad to gel. I suspect that at the end of 19/20 thereíll be ringfencing and that itís probably already verbally agreed by the 13 votes One aspect which would make it really tricky is if the relegated side doesnít finish top next season - worse still if we donít get promoted this season and have Leicester in the Championship!

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 21:42
I thought theyíd just recently pretty much ruled out ring fencing, heading more towards expanding the league to 13 but keeping relegation

PV (IP Logged)
08 April, 2019 22:01
I hope so, but I suspect that itíll rear its head again.

HMRH (IP Logged)
09 April, 2019 06:22
Clubs have moved on from ringfencing to a playoff between bottom Prem side and top of Championship after RFU refused to accept ringfencing

Shropshire Hugh (IP Logged)
09 April, 2019 14:15
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
SirBurger
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
SirBurger

Ah, as you were then smiling smiley

Only old soldiers say 'as you were'!

Living in the Ionian Isles so just lurking when wifi allows!

Shropshire Hugh (IP Logged)
09 April, 2019 14:19
Quote:
HMRH
Clubs have moved on from ringfencing to a playoff between bottom Prem side and top of Championship after RFU refused to accept ringfencing

Assuming this would happen in mid May it would allow even less time for a promoted Championship side to recruit for the Prem and for a relegated Prem side to jettison their deadwood.

Living in the Ionian Isles so just lurking when wifi allows!

PV (IP Logged)
09 April, 2019 14:57
Almost as bad an idea as ringfencing, didn't they try it once in the 80's or 90's when we were involved, I think before professionalism.

Alphacat (IP Logged)
09 April, 2019 17:55
Yeah this doesn't seem like a good idea. It would mean the only chance a team has of coming up realistically is if they invest heavily in one season on players in one massive gamble that all comes down to two games at the end of the season. If they fail then it's a massive amount of money spent for no reward. Could be done perhaps by clubs with wealthy backers like Ealing but still...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net