rugbyunion
Latest News:

Today’s game
Dermot66 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 16:52
All Ealing so far playing with the wind.
Score Ealing 5 - 0 Irish

Re: Today’s game
Dermot66 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 17:10
Ealing 13 - Irish 7
2 unconverted tries for Ealing and a penalty. One converted try for Irish.

CooperMan (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 17:14
13 - 10 at 37 minutes

Coops
WTF

CooperMan (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 17:19
Half time.

Coops
WTF

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 17:20
Steele takes an age to the ball away from the rucks, way too slow for the backs to get any attacking ball

Ecksile (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 17:22
Can anyone tell me why we endlessly kick away possession when we have no real idea where the balls going in this wind?

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 17:26
Kicking for territory with the strong wind isn't a bad idea from your own third, we just haven't done it very well for the most part. Reminds me of the Yorkshire game where we had a strong wind in the first half and made a complete meal of it.

Will be tough to win from here.

Ruckingood (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 17:28
Steele too slow, a few of the forwards missing straight up tackles and Williams out of position far too often. Also we seem to be very narrow in defence. On many occasions there is one Ealing runner tackled by three of our lads and getting in each others way creating space out wide.. not natural and we are lucky to be so close at HT. Poreki needs to be on as Fainga is offering little as well.. better step up into the wind

Elredmondo (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 17:30
Did we play with or against the wind in first half?

04 May, 2019 17:31
Quote:
Elredmondo

With the wind in the 1st half. Unless it's changed, we'll be against in the 2nd

04 May, 2019 17:53
Odd call from the TMO for the TJ yellow. Went for a clearout with 'no arms'. He definitely wrapped the left arm imo. Albeit it was reckless, so he was playing with fire.

Mountain to climb now

04 May, 2019 18:07
And the Ealing blindside flies in with the shoulder to the head as Hepetema scores with no sanction

mulledwinemarie (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 18:18
live tv feed has now gone - so will hopefully get scores

MWM

GLORY GLORY LONDON IRISH - and loving it......

well I used to ...............

SirBurger (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 18:21
Refereeing was slightly inconsistent, but well done Ealing. They were the better side. Sadly, some of our players today didn't perform, but perhaps not that surprising.

04 May, 2019 18:27
Well that's a pretty deflating end to the season. Can't complain too much though as the game was lost in the first half. Just not the precision and intensity in defence that was required.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 18:29
We won the most important thing it’s season but for me that was a huge reality check, we were awful today, the players who needed to stand up and be counted were fairly anonymous. Steele isn’t good enough (always thought it, not just today), ball got far quicker after he went off. We were handed opportunities towards the end but fluffed every one of them. Defence was bad, so many missed one on one tackles, I really hope they have a replacement for Danaher in place.

I know we’ve been promoted but a final is a final and too many just weren’t up for it. If some of the guys can’t make an impact against Ealing, they certainly won’t make any impact in prem games. It’s annoyed me far more than I thought it would, next season we have too many players on contracts who really haven’t proved worthy of them.

Rant over, enjoy the summer and be fresh for the madness of the premiership.

Tom1215 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 18:30
Paid the price for starting Scott Steele. Don’t see what he adds apart from very very slow ball.
Thought Hassell-Collins deserved to play in this game as a proper winger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2019 18:31 by Tom1215.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 18:38
Both half backs we started with were not good enough would have started with adkins and McKibbon

04 May, 2019 18:52
Probably a useful wake up call in the long run. Certainly missed Keatley and Meehan. The pack in general didn't really assert themselves throughout the game.

Tom1215 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 18:52
I’m sorry but matu’u adds so much more than both hookers that were in the squad.
He adds so much power and physicality which we missed so badly today.

sweetas (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 18:57
Agree with all the earlier posts, son was watching his first LI game this season, described us as lacklustre and dismal and hopes that next season, we find some creativity in our backs without having to rely on the individual brilliance of players as we did in our last premiership season ie Lewinton.

Cfenton (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 20:12
Quote:
sweetas
Agree with all the earlier posts, son was watching his first LI game this season, described us as lacklustre and dismal and hopes that next season, we find some creativity in our backs without having to rely on the individual brilliance of players as we did in our last premiership season ie Lewinton.

Cfenton (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 20:15
I don't understand why Irish changed the starting team. Huge difference in momentum when Rogerson came on second half

beaconsfieldirish (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 20:15
On the day - best team won
Well done Ealing.
Next season - well that’s different all together
Will we be good enough to stay up?

old hillbilly (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 20:19
Comments about Steele are a bit unfair I believe. From the first ruck to the last one Ealing were diving off their feet in numbers to slow our ball down and they succeeded. Our pack failed to deal well with that and Steele suffered as a consequence. I thought he was one of the few players in the first half who showed any spark and got little support when he did manage the odd break. The pack had little spark all game and McNally looked as if he was half way down the M4 already, he failed miserably to manage Sir, missed numerous tackles and just looked as if he could not give a @#$%&. I do hope we get a better leader next season.Ealing deserved their win today without doubt and good luck to them. Maybe it will be a good reality check for us to take into pre-season.
I have not got to see many games this season so can I say a huge end of season thank you to those of you who keep us updated on matchdays with scores and running commentary. It really means a lot to be able to still follow the team. Have a great summer everyone.

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 20:23
The fact is that Ealing outplayed us. They were very physical and were smart enough to hang on to the ball for multiple phases, rarely kicking the ball away. They were also very smart in the way that they played the very weak referee - far more savvy than us. I’m not trying to use the referee’s performance as an excuse but It is nevertheless sad that for a televised final the RFU decided to allocate one of the weakest referees we’ve had all season - he vied with Michael Hudson for his inability to adjudicate the offside line and the rule against entering the ruck from the side. None of this should take away from Ealing, who were totally up for the game and outplayed us throughout - congratulations to Ealing and their supporters and I hope we get to play them again in the Premiership!

beaconsfieldirish (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 20:25
Just to add my thanks for the season long regulars.
Only managed 5 games this season -so thanks to those who attended and updated those like myself.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 20:32
Yep, Ealing looked far better, and were faster in thought and deed all match long.

Worryingly they also looked better drilled/coached, and you do wonder what would have happen in the league if Ben Ward had taken over at Ealing earlier than he did.

That said, we were very poor. Steele and Smyler makes for a desperately slow and ponderous back line, and Smyler’s kicking was lamentably poor.

If only we had been able to get the ball more to Ben Loader in open space, or not ballsed up so many line outs, we could have have won.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 20:40
Hasn’t Ben Ward been DOR for a couple of seasons?

Shawshank (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 20:46
Sir B - Alex Codling was nicked by Quins well into the close season, and Ward only had a couple of weeks to take charge before the first matches.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 21:12
Pretty sure Ward still sat above Codling, but see your point. That must have been disruptive.

Saz's old man (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 21:49
Don't tackle don't win .....
I've seen more effort at tackling put in by under 10's..
Poor...

NickK (IP Logged)
04 May, 2019 22:40
Delighted by the seasons performance
Disappointed by today's game plan and execution
Promotion was the main goal, but I really wanted to see LI lift this trophy to see us complete a knockout competition as Champions
Ealing stuck to their plan, in a game that for reasons I still don't understand was not played at a neutral venue, but they executed consistently and thoroughly deserved the trophy today

Irish, enjoy the break, but please learn from this game to make the Premiership our home for more than a season

Bazzo (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 01:13
Players getting right stick for that performance, but I never see any words for our game plan (or lack of) and motivation, which can only come from coaches. That was clueless today. No idea what type of rugby we are trying to play.

Alphacat (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 02:07
Until the last 15 minutes it didn't really look like we were particularly hungry to win, and at that point it was left a bit late.

SteveS (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 04:33
Tackling woeful, lineout woeful, handling poor. Amazing it ended up so close.
Need a big makeover in personnel

MattM (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 06:58
Quote:
Tom1215
Paid the price for starting Scott Steele. Don’t see what he adds apart from very very slow ball.
Thought Hassell-Collins deserved to play in this game as a proper winger.

Ollie has had a slight calf muscle issue and I think they are nursing him through it as he will likely go to the u20s world Cup.

I tend to agree with the spirit of what you are saying Tom, we got to the final playing mostly academy and fringe players so I was disappointed to see the lineup changed to Prem starters in the hunt for silverware. The likes of Isaac and Jacob should have been there for the full 80 minute final experience in my opinion.

Sponsoring Ollie Hassell-Collins for the 2018/19 season.

Usually found tweeting gibberish (via @MattMerritt)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2019 07:02 by MattM.

orsoncart (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 07:01
Just hope that K and K have a clearer idea who can hack it in the PL and who can't, because on today's showing quite a few cannot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2019 07:39 by orsoncart.

Egg Head (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 07:58
Disappointing that so many supporters made the effort to travel to such an underwhelming performance by the team. It would have been nice to have ended on a high but, as many have said, Ealing were hungrier and better on the day. They dealt well with our maul...as will next year's opposition. We missed some of our stronger performers and the replacements were not up to it yesterday, let alone next year. We missed Porecki during the first 60 and Williams looked lost. Feel Steele is being a little harshly treated on here though Meehan has been my Player of the Season and was missed. Recruitment and fitness of key players and pre season will be crucial. Happy Summer!

Finno (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 08:10
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
Elredmondo

With the wind in the 1st half. Unless it's changed, we'll be against in the 2nd

Didn't feel like that in the first half sitting in the new stand behind the posts and was looking forward to the second half(wind behind) but the wind seemed to drop.

p.s. That was the coldest game I've attended all season.......that wind!!!

peejay (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 08:17
Agree with most of comments above, performance of players and whatever game plan there was?
Falcons I suspect, would of won that game by 20+ points, so there is one hell of a job to get to a standard where we have a chance of staying in Premiership next season.

Finno (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 08:19
Quote:
SixNineOne
The fact is that Ealing outplayed us. They were very physical and were smart enough to hang on to the ball for multiple phases, rarely kicking the ball away. They were also very smart in the way that they played the very weak referee - far more savvy than us. I’m not trying to use the referee’s performance as an excuse but It is nevertheless sad that for a televised final the RFU decided to allocate one of the weakest referees we’ve had all season - he vied with Michael Hudson for his inability to adjudicate the offside line and the rule against entering the ruck from the side. None of this should take away from Ealing, who were totally up for the game and outplayed us throughout - congratulations to Ealing and their supporters and I hope we get to play them again in the Premiership!

Couldn't agree more, Ealing deserved the win, they wanted it more than us, our guys didn't really seem up for it. But the ref, who is well known for not being the best, didn't help. If Barnes was reffing that match he would have been strict on the lineout, breakdown and offside, and we would probably have sneaked it, despite not deserving it!

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 08:30
Mentioning line outs, I would love to know how many of ours we lost yesterday.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
05 May, 2019 08:50
We have three decent hookers, but none of their throwing is consistent enough for my liking.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net