rugbyunion
Latest News:

Foreign player rule?
rugbygibbo (IP Logged)
06 May, 2019 18:28
Can someone ease my concerns about how we are going to fit all of our new and rumoured signings in to one match day squad if we are only allowed to have 2 foreign players on the pitch at once( ie Australians and maybe a kiwi). I am sure there is something I am missing as not even we would be stupid enough to pay loads of guys big wedges and not be able to play them at the same time

Re: Foreign player rule?
Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2019 18:42
Think those with passports from non-foreign nations e.g. Pacific Islands do not count towards the limit, so Fainga'a, Kepu, Rona and Naholo would not count as foreign players for that whereas Phipps and Coleman would I believe. So it'd hopefully be just those two and Campbell (USA) that we'd need to juggle.

rugbygibbo (IP Logged)
06 May, 2019 19:13
Ah ok. And by extension then if one was entitled to english passports even though capped elsewhere they also wouldnít count?

joshhbartholomew (IP Logged)
06 May, 2019 19:46
Phipps has some kind of English connection as well.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
06 May, 2019 21:01
Coleman has a Tongan father so should be ok.

rugbygibbo (IP Logged)
07 May, 2019 07:57
Concerns eased. Thanks

Ruckingood (IP Logged)
07 May, 2019 08:00
Sorry guys but Coleman is Australian and I am not sure if he has a link to England. The Tongan father will not come into consideration in this case though I may be wrong. I was under the impression that the PI rule was for those players carrying a PI passport?

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
07 May, 2019 08:10
Do we know he doesn't carry a PI passport too? Can't remember whether you just have to be eligible or carry one, but even if he doesn't I assume it's not too much of an issue for him to obtain one.

HMRH (IP Logged)
07 May, 2019 09:29
Itís based on nationality I.e. passport from what I can see. EQP and foreign are different rules and criteria. Bosman and Kolpak currently (no agreement as yet published for post EU exit) allow a player to be considered an EU National and therefore no restriction on numbers of players.

Foreign players are those outside EU and Kolpak and limited to 2. Any Aussie player with a Kolpak passport is not ďforeignĒ and player without a Kolpak passport is - unless residential criteria apply.

If Phipps, Kepu, Rona all have Aussie passports and only Aus then they canít all be on the pitch together / thatís my reading and not intended to be definitive

ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
07 May, 2019 11:47
Quote:
Ruckingood
Sorry guys but Coleman is Australian and I am not sure if he has a link to England. The Tongan father will not come into consideration in this case though I may be wrong. I was under the impression that the PI rule was for those players carrying a PI passport?

It will, if he has a Tongan father he has Tongan citizenship.

Quote:
HMRH
Itís based on nationality I.e. passport from what I can see. EQP and foreign are different rules and criteria. Bosman and Kolpak currently (no agreement as yet published for post EU exit) allow a player to be considered an EU National and therefore no restriction on numbers of players.
Foreign players are those outside EU and Kolpak and limited to 2. Any Aussie player with a Kolpak passport is not ďforeignĒ and player without a Kolpak passport is - unless residential criteria apply.

If Phipps, Kepu, Rona all have Aussie passports and only Aus then they canít all be on the pitch together / thatís my reading and not intended to be definitive

Yes, however step one for increasing your value for a move abroad is to get your Kolpak citizenship if eligible. Hence Fainga'a, Kepu, Coleman, Rona, and Naholo would all count as Kolpak.

That leaves us with Phipps, Hearn, and Campbell to juggle, which isn't an issue.

MattM (IP Logged)
07 May, 2019 11:54
Just Phipps and Campbell then as Hearn was one of the leavers.

Sponsoring Ollie Hassell-Collins for the 2018/19 season.

Usually found tweeting gibberish (via @MattMerritt)

RodB (IP Logged)
07 May, 2019 11:55
I thought they said Hearn was a leaver after the last home game?

PV (IP Logged)
07 May, 2019 11:59
He is

HMRH (IP Logged)
07 May, 2019 12:10
Aha - thanks for the update - much easier to manage

waltham (IP Logged)
07 May, 2019 16:29
I guess the Club are are largely planning to ignore the bonuses next season for fielding a defined % of EQP's in the matchday squad

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
07 May, 2019 16:56
I doubt we would do that. Guessing you'll see an average of 11 or 12 in a match day squad for the league. Offset by very heavy EQP representation in the cup competitions.

We'll see though

Blarney (IP Logged)
07 May, 2019 17:10
Staying up is more important than the EQP quota.

No one who looks at the clubís recent history could doubt our contribution to English rugby.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net