Latest news:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Paddy Jackson
Discussion started by b.q.f.m , 07 May, 2019 18:01
Paddy Jackson
b.q.f.m 07 May, 2019 18:01
Amazed there is no comment on here about our most recent signing.
Edited.
Whoops, have just seen new signing thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2019 18:03 by b.q.f.m.

Re: Paddy Jackson
bigbitty 07 May, 2019 18:04
It's all on the 10 new signings thread.

paddym 07 May, 2019 18:04
Check out new signings thread or Facebook . Plenty of comments there!

Florida 07 May, 2019 18:05
There's a few in the 10 new signings thread

b.q.f.m 07 May, 2019 18:09
A very moderate response thank goodness. Lots of hysteria elsewhere.

SteveS 07 May, 2019 18:21
It's a very bad decision by the club and will guarantee us a lot of negative publicity, and rightly so

SirBurger 07 May, 2019 18:29
He was found innocent and should be given a second chance.

Ecksile 07 May, 2019 18:30
Not to be disappointed, from the Independent

"New signing splits fan base as supporters threaten boycotts"

Not sure I've seen any boycott threats............

jimbo800 07 May, 2019 18:33
Boycott threats are on Twitter.

Florida 07 May, 2019 18:37
The boycott threats I've seen are mostly opposition supporters or completely random people with no interest in rugby, that's not to say there aren't a few LI fan ones in there, they just seem to be the minority.

Elredmondo 07 May, 2019 18:41
General stance from what I can see is what has happened has happened but glad to have his talent at club. He has been in France In which he has taken opportunity and focused on his rugby without any personal issues. His talent will be useful and I will wish him the best and to anyone who is allowed and requested to wear my club shirt by the club.

tonyh50 07 May, 2019 20:34
Quote:
SteveS
It's a very bad decision by the club and will guarantee us a lot of negative publicity, and rightly so

Youíve also posted a similar comment on the 10 new signings post, is one post not enough it needs repeating - either one accepts that he was tried and found innocent and has been trying to resurrect his career and clearly K & K are willing to give him a chance or not. Most importantly he is probably the best available fly half that we can get and with Phipps will be a strong partnership in what will be a very competitive Premiership next season.
I am pleased we have secured him, as will be the vast majority of serious LI fans, and look forward to seeing him next season when sustained success will be the only criteria that matters.
If anyone feels so seriously that this signing impacts negatively on LI and cannot accept the decisions of the owners and coaching staff on who should play for us then I suggest they look to support another team

SteveS 07 May, 2019 20:41
Quote:
SirBurger

The court decision has nothing to do with it, what he admitted to was bad enough - you should look it up and ask whether itís right our kids will be cheering him

GHA 07 May, 2019 20:51
Quote:
SteveS
Quote:
SirBurger

The court decision has nothing to do with it, what he admitted to was bad enough - you should look it up and ask whether itís right our kids will be cheering him

You'd rather your kids cheer Folau?

SteveS 07 May, 2019 20:57
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
SteveS
Quote:
SirBurger

You'd rather your kids cheer Folau?

Can we agree on neither of these people?

GHA 07 May, 2019 21:03
Sonny Bill?

Shawshank 07 May, 2019 21:17
I think that all our players should hand over their phones each Sunday morning to our resident Witchfinder General, so he can scour them for anything that may trigger his sensibilities.

Seeing as Rugby originated the phrase of ďwhat goes on tour stays on tourĒ, I suspect that weíll be PDQ down to the U15ís running out against Sarries.

Derby Irish Fan 07 May, 2019 21:27
great signing and will add new skill sets to our game. it seems that people are posting I have never seen before. past is past and lets embrace how accepting of any player who pulls on our green shirt

bigbitty 07 May, 2019 21:57
Umm..found not guilty under law, but sentenced to life by social media.

SirBurger 07 May, 2019 22:13
Quote:
SteveS
Quote:
SirBurger

He sent one slightly offensive WhatsApp message?

Ruckingood 07 May, 2019 23:26
Its a sad state of affairs that someone who is found not guilty is run out of town by the media and a bunch of holier than thou liberals. He was stupid.. but ultimately paid the price for the rampant witch hunt that was #metoo .. which seems to have vanished.. let the guy prove himself and lets focus on what matters.. staying in the Prem. People in glass houses etc etc.. next he will be the cause of climate change, mass extinction etc and we will have Gretta T .. the head of the latest liberal chest pounding exercise commenting on his signing.

echidna 07 May, 2019 23:45
Quote:
Its a sad state of affairs that someone who is found not guilty is run out of town by the media and a bunch of holier than thou liberals. He was stupid.. but ultimately paid the price for the rampant witch hunt that was #metoo .. which seems to have vanished.. let the guy prove himself and lets focus on what matters.. staying in the Prem. People in glass houses etc etc.. next he will be the cause of climate change, mass extinction etc and we will have Gretta T .. the head of the latest liberal chest pounding exercise commenting on his signing.

With respect, this is a ridiculous post

Foggy-Balla 08 May, 2019 08:45
Quote:
Shawshank
Seeing as Rugby originated the phrase of ďwhat goes on tour stays on tourĒ, I suspect that weíll be PDQ down to the U15ís running out against Sarries.

I donít know. Might have to go to U9s. Any idea what teenagers post (if one can decode it).

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Exile44 08 May, 2019 10:30
I've personally wrestled with the Jackson signing since it was first reported as rumour - my initial reaction was to not want him anywhere near the squad.

However, while I completely disagree with his attitude towards women and the messages he had sent (which were far more than one slightly controversial whatsapp) I would put money on you being able to find similar in a significant percentage of younger professional players if you were to look through their phones, not to mention society at large.

Completely wrong and distasteful in my opinion, but it's a wider issue - not about one individual, and so not fair for the guy to lose his career over. There are plenty of professionals with bad attitudes and questionable opinions.

The major threat to his career is the legal charges, which he was found innocent of in a court of law.

SirBurger 08 May, 2019 10:37
Edited.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2019 10:42 by SirBurger.

SteveS 08 May, 2019 14:23
Quote:
Exile44
I've personally wrestled with the Jackson signing since it was first reported as rumour - my initial reaction was to not want him anywhere near the squad.
However, while I completely disagree with his attitude towards women and the messages he had sent (which were far more than one slightly controversial whatsapp) I would put money on you being able to find similar in a significant percentage of younger professional players if you were to look through their phones, not to mention society at large.

Completely wrong and distasteful in my opinion, but it's a wider issue - not about one individual, and so not fair for the guy to lose his career over. There are plenty of professionals with bad attitudes and questionable opinions.

The major threat to his career is the legal charges, which he was found innocent of in a court of law.

Folau won't be charged in any court of law. Great that this is the bar now the club have set. Imagine spending 100 years creating a certain image for the club, only to have it undone among many virtually overnight. This stain will hang over the club for years now

RodB 08 May, 2019 14:31
Well he's coming, so you have a choice.

tonyh50 08 May, 2019 14:41
Great that this is the bar now the club have set. Imagine spending 100 years creating a certain image for the club, only to have it undone among many virtually overnight. This stain will hang over the club for years now[/quote]

Please can we get over this now, it is a done deal and we need to move on and no amount of pontificating is going to change things.
If SteveS feels so strongly about it that he cannot let it go then he should have the courage to say the so called Ďstainí is too much and leave the club to the supporters who Iíve no doubt are looking forward to seeing him and the other new signings next season in Irish colours and helping us establish our place in the Premiership.
(Sm162)

RodB 08 May, 2019 14:45
+1

tatthecraic2 08 May, 2019 14:48
We exsist to play rugby.

Paddy Jackson is a very good rugby player who will help us win.

If we lose rugby matches people lose their jobs and the club ceases to exist.

Those who say about the "family values" thing on the club is the reason we've been so sub standard over the years. Rugby comes first. winning comes first. or London Irish ceases to exist.

Paddy Jackson ultimately sent some sexist and quite crappy messages. but nothing he did was deemed illegal. i've said it before. get off your high horse. if you were able to scour every private conversation you've ever had, about a neighbor, co-worker, member of the opposite sex. you'd ALL be found wanting. (I certainly would)

tatthecraic2 08 May, 2019 14:52
Quote:
SteveS
Quote:
Exile44

Folau won't be charged in any court of law. Great that this is the bar now the club have set. Imagine spending 100 years creating a certain image for the club, only to have it undone among many virtually overnight. This stain will hang over the club for years now

Creating an image for the club? what one of mediocrity and losing. a club where no young talent is willing to stay. a team that got humped the life out of it last season in the prem... But don't worry... love those family values!!! IMHO its a sill thing to say. we should souly exsist to win rugby matches and attract the best players. nothing is a better image for a club than pumping all opposition in front of them.

SimonG19 08 May, 2019 15:05
Quote:
tatthecraic2
.... we should souly exsist to win rugby matches and attract the best players. nothing is a better image for a club than pumping all opposition in front of them.

It hasn't done a lot for Saracens has it?

aah Bisto 08 May, 2019 15:09
You seriously want to stay away from watching all these new signings? If Paddy upsets you so much then still come along but sit on your hands when he does something good and cheer on the other 14/ 22 players.

No stain here for me, a legally innocent lad who has said some stupid and indefensible things but has seemingly shown remorse and a desire to get on with his life. I recruit people whose wheels have fallen off the wagon all the time and most (not all) have a tremendous work ethic to try and get back, if Paddy does this and doesnít upset any females in Reading, Sunbury and Brentford then I for one will be happy to help play our small part in helping him get back on the right track.

Shawshank 08 May, 2019 15:11
I'm not sure that the club is 100% squeaky clean on these alleged 'family values'.

What of our 'House Band' Bible Code Sunday's rendition of 'Swing Low' in the Cowshed...?

It's enough to make dear old SteveS go all weak and wobbly...(Sm100)

bigbitty 08 May, 2019 15:15
London Irish lost the status of everyone's favourite second club many years ago, and turned into one that other clubs used to bank on for easy points.

I also don't think we have exclusive rights to the term "family club" - all clubs claim to be family friendly, don't they? Are all the players for these family clubs all without blemish (or stain if you will)? I think not.

Exile44 08 May, 2019 15:21
Quote:
SteveS
Quote:
Exile44

And Folau has been sacked by his employer (ARU), as was Paddy Jackson (IRFU & Ulster). I would have though that another club (perhaps also in France) will pick up Folau and give him another chance.

Don't get me wrong, I do have very mixed emotions about this. But, on balance, I think I can hold my nose and get behind him for the benefit of the club.

Senior officials at the IRFU are even on record saying the door is potentially open to play for Ireland again at some point in the future, according to the BBC, so I don't think we should be tarred and feathered for bringing him into the fold, as much as it's not an ideal situation off the pitch.

SirBurger 08 May, 2019 15:28
Edited

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2019 15:30 by SirBurger.

nimblehippo 08 May, 2019 16:35
Quote:
echidna
Quote:

With respect, this is a ridiculous post

Ridiculously on point!

Decision has been made whether we agree with it or not. If its too much for some, then they are free to have that opinion, but don't expect all of us to follow suit. Haskell taping his mate and a girl in action (without her knowledge) never seemed to hurt his career too much and do we forget the Topsy hotel incident so quickly? From speaking to a friend who knows Paddy, she says the whole thing was rather out of character and doesn't really represent who he is.

Tom1215 08 May, 2019 18:02
If youíre going to constantly cry about this signing then go support another team.
Or if you really want why donít you go and buy the club then you can make all the decisions.

expectingrain 08 May, 2019 18:15
Oh for god sake grow up

bigbitty 08 May, 2019 18:36
Guys, could you please tell us who you are telling to grow up, cry about, simmer down etc. I'm getting confused!

Tom1215 08 May, 2019 18:51
Now paddy has signed and will obviously be 1st choice.
Based on peopleís opinions who would you have as 2nd choice???
Myler or Atkins?
Myler brings experience and can hopefully close out games.
Atkins brings the youthfulness energy and hopefully push paddy for that number 10 jersey going into the following season.
Feels weird having 3 really good options

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2019 18:52 by Tom1215.

GHA 08 May, 2019 20:01
Can we see both Smyler and Jacob's WhatsApps first?

old hillbilly 08 May, 2019 21:07
Quote:
SteveS
Quote:
Exile44

Spoken like a true journalist @#$%& stirrer, utter nonsense of course.

Smudge21 08 May, 2019 21:12
Quote:
Tom1215
Now paddy has signed and will obviously be 1st choice.
Based on peopleís opinions who would you have as 2nd choice???
Myler or Atkins?
Myler brings experience and can hopefully close out games.
Atkins brings the youthfulness energy and hopefully push paddy for that number 10 jersey going into the following season.
Feels weird having 3 really good options
Personally would want Jacob as 2nd choice. Think Myler is past it now and Jacob offers more ball in hand

Ajax Treesdown 09 May, 2019 02:14
He was found innocent.

If you are too naive to believe that the sort of chat youíve read in the papers doesn't happen in all of the Ďladsí WhatsApp group chats around the country then christ wake up to the real world.

Ban him, hunt him down with pitchforks etc

In fact, no letís support a world class fly half who will hopefully lead us to safety and beyond.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2019 02:15 by Ajax Treesdown.

AlexInSouthville 09 May, 2019 09:00
His behaviour was pretty shoddy, no doubt about it.

But ignoring any thoughts of rugby ability, and taking the much wider view,

There is definitely a bigger net win to society from rehabilitating, reforming and giving people a second chance, as opposed to just casting them aside.

For me, there is more to be gained from a contrite Paddy Jackson who is using his profile and experience to help guide and influence many others into positive behaviour, rather than a Paddy Jackson who is cast aside and a learning opportunity missed.

SirBurger 09 May, 2019 09:43
Couldn't have put it better Alex.

MikeGC 09 May, 2019 10:03
When there was a rumour this lad might end up at Sale folks were either apoplectic or very laissez faire (i.e. boys will be boys) and those attitudes tended to polarise between people who had only daughters and those who had only sons.

We must hope that the lad is or will be rehabilitated.

I guess you might have seen the article before but it might bear some re-reading.

[graziadaily.co.uk]

nimblehippo 09 May, 2019 10:41
Quote:
MikeGC
When there was a rumour this lad might end up at Sale folks were either apoplectic or very laissez faire (i.e. boys will be boys) and those attitudes tended to polarise between people who had only daughters and those who had only sons.
We must hope that the lad is or will be rehabilitated.

I guess you might have seen the article before but it might bear some re-reading.

[graziadaily.co.uk]

Provides no evidence of him doing anything wrong, just expounds a narrative that tars him by association. The man was found not guilty of the crime. If you want facts read below. Do I agree with his behaviour or choice of language, no - but I trust that Les Kiss knows him well enough to know his character.

[www.irishtimes.com]

[www.mirror.co.uk] - for the messages

GHA 09 May, 2019 10:43
Quote:
MikeGC

When the rumour surfaced here there were two posters who were apoplectic and at least twelve who were not.

Derby Irish Fan 09 May, 2019 11:27
it was told to me that when someone is pointing the finger at someone three fingers are pointing back at them.

PV 09 May, 2019 11:58
It's a shame that during our best week of signings in living memory that Jackson appears to be dominating the social media.

FWIW - those referring to the family values of the club would surely agree that everyone makes mistakes and everyone deserves a shot at rehabilitation, I'm not sure how continuing to punish anyone does any good for society, let alone rugby.

On the subject of what was said on whatsapp etc - the objectification of women has been part of society since we were walked the earth - however unpalatable it is, I'd challenge anyone man (or woman for that matter) to hand over their phone records of all conversations had and not have something that others will disagree with (as a minimum). This is not meant as a defence of Jackson's behaviour, but if we're really honest, its common...

Similarly, I have some trust in the club to have very carefully considered this signing before moving forward and I'm sure they are far better placed than most to assess whether Jackson is a good fit for us and worth supporting through his rehab (even though he was found not guilty in a court of law).

Should people feel that strongly that they could no longer support the club, that's their prerogative. Whilst I'm in two minds about the signing, it won't stop me supporting the team next season and beyond. COYI

olw131 09 May, 2019 12:11
Agreed PV. Regardless, itís not even dominating social media anymore, and from what I see all the talk is now lauding the signings of Naholo and Coleman (as well as some amusing salary cap stuff).

This was always going to be a signing that rightly divides opinion, and as already identified by others, the vast majority of reactions of outrage, boycott threats & the like have come: a) on Twitter; and b) by non-LI rugby fans and the outside world.

I for one am looking forward to seeing what he does on the pitch

SixNineOne 09 May, 2019 18:29
It looks like the club has been quite astute in the way itís been managing the media message. Announce PJís recruitment and weather the hot air it generates on social media for 24 hours and then follow up with Naholo and Coleman over the next two days. Smart move!

LI Bohemian 09 May, 2019 18:56
Well I don't know about the rest of you, but I take all the stuff said about PJ, on soshal meaja pretty seriously, cos it gives a voice to a lot of people, who if they never had the formats of twister, faceblock, what zap and snap chap, they would end up being totally ignored for being dull or moralising hypocrites, I was only saying to my mate Israel, who likes to dabble a bit, um I can't remember what I was talking about........

SteveS 10 May, 2019 13:17
Never thought I'd see LI fans embracing the Millwall credo of "no one likes us, we don't care".

Some things are more important than rugby lads

RodB 10 May, 2019 13:43
Still not made your mind up yet then?

GHA 10 May, 2019 14:03
Would you welcome Folau, SteveS? Kurtley Beale? James Haskell?

LI Bohemian 10 May, 2019 14:05
Well I'm agnostic, and that's final

Alphacat 10 May, 2019 14:08
If he's remorseful for his actions then I feel I can be okay with this because I don't think anyone should be condemned for life. If he feels no remorse then I'm not sure I can agree with this.

You can always choose to just support the team as a whole and just not applaud if he scores a try. He's signed now, it's not like we can just unsign him (I don't think).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2019 14:28 by Alphacat.

Griff 10 May, 2019 14:51
It's a tricky one and no mistake. While I abhor what he was accused of doing and the attitudes exposed at the trial I fully support our legal system. He was found not guilty and, as such, has a right to continue his life. It's fairly well acknowledged that sexual assault and rape are very difficult to get convictions on which is a double-edged sword - on one-hand very borderline behaviour goes unpunished while on the other it makes it more difficult to lodge a specious allegation and ruin an innocent person's life.

For me it falls to the issue Alphacat highlights - before you can forgive someone they have to acknowledge wrongdoing. I didn't see it at the time but Jackson actually issued an apology (someone on here pointed it out when we discussed this when the prospect of PJ joining first appeared). Now his media people may have advised him to do so but it is fairly clear that he realises why people were angry about his actions and states an intent not to repeat them. I think at that point we have to take him at his word and give him a second chance. At the very least PJ himself knows that he'll have to be very careful in future and while that might not be enough for some it will almost certainly modify his behaviour.

Where we, as LI supporters, are is that the club has seen fit to hire him to play for us. Some of us might prefer that they hadn't but there's little - other than stopping supporting - we can actually do. I hope the club are right and I do believe people deserve second chances.

I understand your position Steve, right up until the point you won't allow him a chance. I'd ask what Jackson could do to get your, even begrudging, acceptance? Does one mistake condemn him forever?

Exile_Dave 10 May, 2019 17:09
God is this thread still going, give it a rest. Heís signed end of.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

M51 10 May, 2019 20:46
I agree to let this post end. Let us "support" PJ as an LI player from now on.
I cant wait to see this Irish team on the field, I just cant wait. lets hope they can mold a strong premiership team from these superstars.
COYI
M

IrishLondon 10 May, 2019 23:13
Everybody deserves a chance at redemption. Don't get me wrong, I abhor the whole episode that happened, but that is now history and a holier than though boycott stance reflects far worse on those who'd do that than those they're looking to persecute. Only saying

bigbitty 11 May, 2019 15:57
an interesting article here about Paddy's wages.....crikey!

Alphacat 11 May, 2019 16:15
I hope the the club's financial plan is sensible beyond just this next season 👀 blimey!

RodB 11 May, 2019 16:17
I'd be surprised, if he was looking for a way back to prem level rugby, that he'd be able to command that sort of money, but who needed who the most.....

ExiledChameleon 11 May, 2019 16:55
The article's bollocks. RugbyLad sourced via RugbyPass's "online editors". Not sure that you could get two less reliable narrators.

MattM 11 May, 2019 17:08
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
The article's bollocks. RugbyLad sourced via RugbyPass's "online editors". Not sure that you could get two less reliable narrators.

Look for it to be shared by RugbyInsideLine soon...

Sponsoring Ollie Hassell-Collins for the 2018/19 season.

Usually found tweeting gibberish (via @MattMerritt)

Conorbay 12 May, 2019 10:51
He was on around 20,000 Euro a month at Perpignan. He exercised a clause in his contract which allowed him to leave should Perpignan be relegated which they were as possibly the weakest team in the French Top 14 ever. Perpignan couldnít have afforded him anyway and by all accounts Jackson has been very disappointing in France. Conversely his partner in ďcrimeĒ, Stuart Olding, has flourished at Brive where he is highly regarded and very popular.

I canít imagine there was a long queue waiting for Jackson to sign a contract.

Margin_Walker 12 May, 2019 11:03
TBF Olding has been playing for a top of the table Pro D2 team whilst PJ has been playing for the worst T14 team. Much harder for a playmaker to look good in those circumstances.

Enu 12 May, 2019 11:11
Recommended reading for those males who are old enough to have a daughter or significant other who is female...

Irish female journalist's take on PJ

[Note: misogynist teenage keyboard warriors - there is nothing you are likely to learn by clicking this link]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2019 11:12 by Enu.

joshhbartholomew 12 May, 2019 11:52
Interesting views raised, but it's important to note that the majority of the text messages the author cites were sent by Olding, not Jackson, which makes it slightly misleading.

Margin_Walker 12 May, 2019 11:59
Interestingly only one of those WhatsApp messages is from Jackson and it's not the one she singles out.

What I'm not clear on is how much punishment is enough for that, unsavoury as it was? He's lost a fortune in lost earnings and his international career. He'll be hounded over it for a long time to come. At what point would people be satisfied.

NigelN 12 May, 2019 12:03
Quote:
joshhbartholomew
Interesting views raised, but it's important to note that the majority of the text messages the author cites were sent by Olding, not Jackson, which makes it slightly misleading.
Beat me to it. Not defending Jackson in any way but for such a serious matter it is important not to distort the facts.

SirBurger 12 May, 2019 12:05
The author says she protested to have Jackson fired by the IRFU over the messages but, as pointed out, he only sent one message, which the journalist does not even cite. It leads to the conclusion that what the journalist and people like her are really protesting is the fact that they did not get the verdict they wanted in the court proceedings which is, frankly, quite scary.

Bazzo 12 May, 2019 12:58
Itís not going to go away though is it? The whole stigma around this bloke? Have to be honest, I was probably not fully aware of how much of a problem this guy was going to be. You would think that if found innocent of a charge that itís finished, but this just feels like it will go on and on. I really hope that we are not paying him big money as we seem to be doing him the bigger favor by bringing him to our so called ďfamily clubĒ.

He needs to deliver to repay the faith in whoever made the decision to bring him here, because he is alienating some people.

RodB 12 May, 2019 13:16
It's not going to go away if you keep on picking at it.

GHA 12 May, 2019 13:20
Quote:
[Note: misogynist teenage keyboard warriors - there is nothing you are likely to learn by clicking this link]

What a lovely neutral comment to go with the lovely neutral link

ExiledChameleon 12 May, 2019 13:23
Ultimately most of the objections are coming from people outside the club, like our dear Enu, who seems to have made his first post on the LI board with that one. Unless you want to loan us one of your top FHs, you can p*ss off. Other club's supporters coming one here and stirring the pot with articles bordering on libel are most certainly not welcome.

We had a very simple choice between accepting relegation (Myler and Atkins are simply not good enough yet), or signing a top flyhalf who was cleared of charges in an extremely quick jury deliberation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2019 13:25 by ExiledChameleon.

Florida 12 May, 2019 13:29
Here's a slightly different view on things, conversation starts getting a bit weird come page 5 or 6 when a troll jumps on the board

[www.uafc.co.uk]

GHA 12 May, 2019 13:40
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Ultimately most of the objections are coming from people outside the club, like our dear Enu, who seems to have made his first post on the LI board with that one. Unless you want to loan us one of your top FHs, you can p*ss off. Other club's supporters coming one here and stirring the pot with articles bordering on libel are most certainly not welcome.
We had a very simple choice between accepting relegation (Myler and Atkins are simply not good enough yet), or signing a top flyhalf who was cleared of charges in an extremely quick jury deliberation.

Not to mention this 'divided fanbase' seems to be very, very united on this message board, a message board for the most part made up of people from the London Irish fanbase

Foggy-Balla 12 May, 2019 15:37
And how many users, let alone active users on this site? I would humbly suggest statistically insignificant when set against London Irish as a whole, whichever way opinion is going.

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

bigbitty 12 May, 2019 17:05
Quote:
Enu
Recommended reading for those males who are old enough to have a daughter or significant other who is female...
Irish female journalist's take on PJ

But I'm not a teenager...

Derby Irish Fan 12 May, 2019 18:45
might be that in days gone by some of the outsiders would have made good assistants to the witch finder general, or helped in the Spanish inquisition or dare i say even in the KKK. This is a LI signing and we will decide if he good enough out on the pitch.

Lazyboy346 12 May, 2019 21:03
After mulling over how I feel about this for a few days, I'm not totally comfortable with the signing but I think the club will have given this a lot of thought before signing Jackson. He has an opportunity to rehabilitate himself and I hope that both he and the club will work on this; presumably his contract will also have clauses that require him to meet certain standards of behaviour.

Rugby as a sport has taken a serious knock in recent months regarding the actions of players off the field, with high profile homophobia, assault, domestic abuse and substance abuse cases. I'd hope that the club would recognise a sense of duty to the game as a whole by actively promoting core rugby values including rehabilitating those who've fallen short of them.

It wouldn't be difficult for the club to get a guest speaker in to and film them teaching the squad about consent - tbh this is a field that society as a whole has mainly been poor at, so I'd be proud of the club if they looked at using their (social) media media profile to try to promote positive values like this.

GHA 12 May, 2019 21:20
I agree with your first two paragraphs, Lazyboy, but this bit:

Quote:
It wouldn't be difficult for the club to get a guest speaker in to and film them teaching the squad about consent

That would be unbelievably cringy IMO

cjm. 12 May, 2019 21:46
Quote:
GHA
I agree with your first two paragraphs, Lazyboy, but this bit:
Quote:
It wouldn't be difficult for the club to get a guest speaker in to and film them teaching the squad about consent

That would be unbelievably cringy IMO

Something for the Academy lads done in a discreet way fine. For the rest of the team, no. Incredibly patronising.

Besides these things tend to happen when alcohol is involved so the lessons would be forgotten by the second pint at the latest if that person is that type of person.

Silver Fox! 12 May, 2019 23:03
Everyone deserves a second chance, itís all part of the rehabilitation process that I personally believe is a cornerstone of a civilised society.

Let him do the talking on the pitch and Iím sure heíll use the opportunity to do likewise off it.

Tom1215 13 May, 2019 00:34
half of these posts say exactly the same thing.
Get over it heís signed now.

Bazzo 13 May, 2019 09:51
Quote:
Tom1215
half of these posts say exactly the same thing.
Get over it heís signed now.

Get over it...... like we voted out, get over it? That kind of argument? Some things (generally if they are wrong) just do not go away with a "Get over it"

Tom1215 13 May, 2019 12:05
Yeah like we voted out... it happened deal with it. Your opinion isnt going to change whatís happened.

tatthecraic2 13 May, 2019 12:18
Quote:
Tom1215
Yeah like we voted out... it happened deal with it. Your opinion isnt going to change whatís happened.

I nearly cut myself on how edgy your post was.

MarkS 13 May, 2019 13:44
Can we please bring this to a close.

He has signed with us and while I think its a great signing for LI I can understand why others don't. However, 2 groups slagging each other off for having a different opinion, while popular at the moment, doesn't add a lot to the conversation. If you disagree with PJ playing for us, don't watch him - its quite easy. But leave the rest of us enjoy the rugby.

GHA 13 May, 2019 13:48
It's not even two groups, it's the vast overriding majority, the silent (on here) minority, then another couple saying 'just move on fffs'

Clontarf 17 May, 2019 08:42
On the basis that no publicity is bad publicity

[www.irishtimes.com]

We're staying on the sports pages of the IT, has to help get 1000s of rugby mad Irishmen and women to Brentford

Conorbay 17 May, 2019 09:19
What an odd thing for a CEO to say:

ď fairly sure weíre comfortable with who heíll beĒ

Exudes confidence Mr Facer

SirBurger 17 May, 2019 09:53
It's a colloquialism. He can't exactly come out and say "we are 100% sure that bloke acquitted in a rape trial is a really lovely chap", even if that may actually be what the club think.

Conorbay 17 May, 2019 14:17
I think itís entirely reasonable and sensible to expect your CEO to use terms such as confident, satisfied, believe etc

Something rather more formal and convincing than ďfairly sureĒ which makes one think that although he approved the cheque he wasnít entirely convinced by the proposition.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net