Latest news:

Free Agents - Potential to Sign
Discussion started by tatthecraic2 , 08 May, 2019 16:49
Free Agents - Potential to Sign
tatthecraic2 08 May, 2019 16:49
In the Storm of signings i've got caught up in, I did a little (very light) research into signings and leavers for Prem clubs this season. and it appears there are a few good name free agents shown as "released" from their clubs.

I'm sure there will be reasons but the ones I can see being beneficial to sign are below:-

Charlie Walker Quins 26 English
Luke Wallace Quins 26 English
Jack Lam Bristol 30 Samoan
Mat Luamanu Quins 30 Samoan
Ken Pisi Northampton 30 Samoan
Matt Mullan Wasps 32 English

I'm assuming someone more educated than me can tell me they're all highly prone to injury and or a dead squib and not worth looking at.

or maybe have signed elsewhere but isn't public knowledge yet?

anyone got an opinion?

Re: Free Agents - Potential to Sign
SirBurger 08 May, 2019 16:58
Walker and Pisi may be worth looking at as back-up wingers. Mullan has retired. I personally wouldn't go for any of the back row players listed.

Exile44 08 May, 2019 17:01
I would generally agree - we still seem to have a fairly strong back row, with a decent amount of experience.

Experienced Premiership back three options would be very handy, given we have pretty much none there at the moment unless I'm mistaken.

I would have thought those players mentioned have some kind of plan though, whether that be retirement or another club. Unlikely to have just been dropped out of their clubs at a moment's notice without a thought what to do next ...

shimmieandshake 08 May, 2019 17:33
There were strong rumours of Wallace to Bristol a while back, not sure what the latest is though.

Lincs-Exile 08 May, 2019 19:41
Bath are not re-signing Van Vuuren,from what i remember off here he was quite a decent player when he played for us might be worth an enquiry.

Tom1215 08 May, 2019 20:02
If the moneys there Id take Luke Wallace all day long.
Only if hes past his injuries.
I know we are well stacked in the back row but hes an up grade on Gilsenan, Schatz and how long does Blair have left?

Elredmondo 08 May, 2019 20:11
Quote:
Lincs-Exile
Bath are not re-signing Van Vuuren,from what i remember off here he was quite a decent player when he played for us might be worth an enquiry.

Think he was a useful unit but would be 4th choice if came.

nimblehippo 09 May, 2019 09:13
Quote:
Tom1215
I know we are well stacked in the back row but hes an up grade on Gilsenan, Schatz and how long does Blair have left?

Wallace before his terrible injury against us in pre-season was one of the best 7s in the prem. Yet to get back to that, but clearly fell out of favour at Quins (probably partly due to not being retained) so difficult to know if he is capable of hitting that level again. I think it would be worth a punt though as on his day was better than most of our back row options and is still young

SirBurger 09 May, 2019 09:44
Never really rated Wallace, even at his best.

tatthecraic2 09 May, 2019 09:54
Quote:
nimblehippo
Quote:
Tom1215

Wallace before his terrible injury against us in pre-season was one of the best 7s in the prem. Yet to get back to that, but clearly fell out of favour at Quins (probably partly due to not being retained) so difficult to know if he is capable of hitting that level again. I think it would be worth a punt though as on his day was better than most of our back row options and is still young

I Think Wallace would be incredibly shrewd signing if we could capture him. as you say if his injuries are behind him he'd be fantastic during the international periods. Form is temporary class is forever and I always thought he was a very very tight operator when watching him play. reminicent of Michael Hooper. he would be a class back up to SOB

Margin_Walker 09 May, 2019 10:00
I don't see the value in Wallace really. With SOB, TJ, MNG, ICH and Gilsenan there are only so many 7s you need even if he is an upgrade on a few of them IF fit

tatthecraic2 09 May, 2019 10:07
Quote:
Margin_Walker
I don't see the value in Wallace really. With SOB, TJ, MNG, ICH and Gilsenan there are only so many 7s you need even if he is an upgrade on a few of them IF fit

Wallace is only 26 and he was good enough to be on the fringes of England before an injury run.

personally, I think he's the next level up from MNG and Gilsenan.

ICH needs more development and Wallace could help with that. the dream would be Wallace finds his form again and pushes SOB all the way for the shirt looking for an England recall. he could be our next Cowan who was the shrewdest bit of business we ever did.

Margin_Walker 09 May, 2019 10:26
Quote:
tatthecraic2
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Wallace is only 26 and he was good enough to be on the fringes of England before an injury run.

personally, I think he's the next level up from MNG and Gilsenan.

ICH needs more development and Wallace could help with that. the dream would be Wallace finds his form again and pushes SOB all the way for the shirt looking for an England recall. he could be our next Cowan who was the shrewdest bit of business we ever did.

I agree he's a step up from MNG and Gilsenan if fit.

But I think other positions would be a priority for us and it wouldn't be a good use of the cap space. I even forgot about Cowan.

AlecW 09 May, 2019 13:36
@tatthecraic - sorry, the shrewdest piece of business we ever did was someone Brian Smith told us about at an LISC Meet the DoR forum in Spring 2006.

He described him as [something like] "one of the best centres I've seen in the last ten years [remember, Smith knew a little bit about back play, as a dual international out half!] ... should be in the All-Blacks side but hasn't been picked ... a big unit, runs straight and hard ... but brilliant at offloading and bringing others into play ... believe me, he is absolutely world class and he is joining Irish next season..."

His name is / was Sailala Mapusua.

(Sm128)

SirBurger 09 May, 2019 13:44
Yes, loved Blair when he was at his peak, but can think of a number of signings who were better bits of business.

tatthecraic2 09 May, 2019 13:49
Quote:
AlecW
@tatthecraic - sorry, the shrewdest piece of business we ever did was someone Brian Smith told us about at an LISC Meet the DoR forum in Spring 2006.
He described him as [something like] "one of the best centres I've seen in the last ten years [remember, Smith knew a little bit about back play, as a dual international out half!] ... should be in the All-Blacks side but hasn't been picked ... a big unit, runs straight and hard ... but brilliant at offloading and bringing others into play ... believe me, he is absolutely world class and he is joining Irish next season..."

His name is / was Sailala Mapusua.

(Sm128)

Maps was epic no doubt. So maybe Cowan is one of the most shrewed bit of business we did. Cowan has been head and shoulders above others at his peak. He always leads from the front and managed to get himself international call up in a struggling LI team which is a testament to his ability.

Catty was a pretty shrewd bit of business as well. Pretty much made Geragherty an international by taking him under his wing... shame geragherty never realised his full potential.

HonkyTonk 09 May, 2019 17:16
The rumour is that Wallace was/is heading to Tigers (We got Evans from them) and Luamanu to a french club whose name escapes me. There was also talk of Walker to Bristol/Tigers

Exile_Dave 09 May, 2019 17:45
Any of these Barf released players anyone would take.

Grant
Wilson - James
Wilson - Jack
Delmas
Fotuali.i
Lahiff
Perenise
van Rooyen
van Vuuren
Vuna

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Margin_Walker 09 May, 2019 17:52
Not really imo. Perhaps Vuna, but would rather someone younger and EQP as an extra wing ideally

nimblehippo 09 May, 2019 18:00
We're a bit short at loosehead, and Lahiff would be a useful pick up. Be nice to take one back!

GHA 09 May, 2019 18:04
Quote:
nimblehippo
We're a bit short at loosehead, and Lahiff would be a useful pick up. Be nice to take one back!

There's a difference between signing a player the club doesn't want to lose, and signing a player because his current club is getting rid of him.

SirBurger 09 May, 2019 18:19
Yes, I have to say that unless we sign a back three player or someone who is clearly going to provide depth in a position where we are low on numbers, I am against signing other team's cast-offs.

SixNineOne 09 May, 2019 18:35
Im not sure I would always disregard other clubs cast-offs. Its interesting to look st Exeter who have a track record of signing players whose careers are faltering at other clubs and turning them into top notch players. Ollie Woodburn and, to a lesser degree, Thomas Waldrom are two such examples. For that reason Id be happy to take Luke Wallace, who is streets ahead of Gilsenan and MNG, and Id also have a good look at James Wilson as a valuable utility back. Dont forget - its a long season!

Margin_Walker 09 May, 2019 19:00
James Wilson is 35 and heading to Japan iirc.

Don't remember either Woodburn or Waldrom having faltering career to the point of being released before signing for Exeter. Free agents certainly shouldn't be discounted as there can be value in the right player, but don't remember either of them being discarded by their former club.

Edit - Turns out Waldrom wasn't needed at Leicester on further investigation, so fair enough on that one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2019 19:04 by Margin_Walker.

MattM 09 May, 2019 19:09
Just indulging my inner pedant (sorry) ... Luke Wallace is 28.

Sponsoring Ollie Hassell-Collins for the 2018/19 season.

Usually found tweeting gibberish (via @MattMerritt)

bigbitty 09 May, 2019 19:48
Quote:
MattM
Just indulging my inner pedant (sorry) ... Luke Wallace is 28.

Don't beat yourself over it!(Sm105)

SixNineOne 09 May, 2019 19:49
I think Luke had another hip injury early this season following on from that horrendous one he had in that pre-season match against us, so hes been on a long rehab journey. Apparently his Instagram account nowadays is all about surfing so maybe Bristol would be his preference...

tatthecraic2 09 May, 2019 21:18
Quote:
Exile_Dave
Any of these Barf released players anyone would take.
Grant
Wilson - James
Wilson - Jack
Delmas
Fotuali.i
Lahiff
Perenise
van Rooyen
van Vuuren
Vuna

Fotuali I is 36 i think.

Vuna however I think has a good few years and is a great player Perenise is also 36

nimblehippo 09 May, 2019 23:07
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
nimblehippo

There's a difference between signing a player the club doesn't want to lose, and signing a player because his current club is getting rid of him.

Salary Cap - the boy can play both sides of the scrum and is pretty decent, but Bath have a plethora of scrum talent and probs can't afford to keep him - at least that's what the local papers reckoned.

GHA 09 May, 2019 23:56
He's started something like six Premiership games in 2 seasons. Bath's reasons for not wanting him are my reasons for not wanting him, but then that's just me

Florida 10 May, 2019 07:39
Quote:
GHA
He's started something like six Premiership games in 2 seasons. Bath's reasons for not wanting him are my reasons for not wanting him, but then that's just me

Is actually worse than that. 3 starts in 2 seasons, played a total of 457 minutes of premiership rugby in those 2 seasons. Four hundred and fifty seven minutes, or 13% if you will.

tatthecraic2 10 May, 2019 10:15
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
GHA

Is actually worse than that. 3 starts in 2 seasons, played a total of 457 minutes of premiership rugby in those 2 seasons. Four hundred and fifty seven minutes, or 13% if you will.

Is this because they don't see his value and he's down in the pecking order? or beacuse of Injury

we know his value and if he's fit he'll be a good squad player. just because bath don't use him, doesn't mean he doesn't have value. or couldn't be valuable for us.

GHA 10 May, 2019 10:38
Saying 'is it because they don't see his value' and 'we know his value' is a bit green-tinted glasses IMO.

tatthecraic2 10 May, 2019 10:40
Quote:
GHA
Saying 'is it because they don't see his value' and 'we know his value' is a bit green-tinted glasses IMO.

I don't think so... maybe should have said "I" see his value. i mean i always thought he was a decent player for us.

GHA 10 May, 2019 10:43
That was a while ago, and the professional coaches etc who have seen him week in, week out at Bath don't see any value in keeping him.

But if the coaches here do sign him, then fair enough and fingers crossed

Marbo 16 May, 2019 16:28
A free agent to potentially sign that I see Sale have just let go is Paolo Odogwu he's young - 22. Can be a liability in defence from the little game footage I have seen of him but has crazy pace with the ball in hand - someone in the prem will sign up. He would need further developing as I don't think he's a starting level winger in the prem yet but bags of potential at a very young age.

Already seen on twitter some wasps fans are wanting to sign him as a clear replacement for Christian Wade.

SirBurger 16 May, 2019 16:33
Yes, he would be worth a shot for sure.

GMC_LI 16 May, 2019 19:30
Odogwus already worn our shirt in A and 7s games.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net