rugbyunion
Latest News:

Other teams getting nervous?
Blarney (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 13:16
Lot of comment on other boards about our recruitment. Mostly along the lines of:

- OíBrienís past it
- Kepuís past it
- Jackson should be hanged from the nearest gallows
- Naholoís always injured
- Dell is average
- lack of opportunity for academy players
- just like Sarries etc etc

Now, Iíve been an Irish supporter for long enough to know that it may all go horribly wrong but am I detecting a hint of concern amongst other supporters? Could it be that the likes of Worcester, Bath and now Leicester were looking forward to a nice, easy season with LI as whipping boys again? Are they now taken by surprise at the strength of our recruitment?

Iím more excited about next season than for a number of years - Bath for the drop!

Re: Other teams getting nervous?
norg2072 (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 13:35
Spot on! I'm the most optimistic I have been for years and with the late October start plus 4 Cup games in November and December we aren't going to be missing the new recruits for much of the season. Top 6 here we come, followed by champions cup games at Brentford - COYI

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 13:42
I think it was funny 1 poster on the tigers board was going to boycott our game with them at Welford Rd if a certain PJ is playing. Pathetic but funny. The less of their idiot supporters the better.

Todayís TRP also mentioned booing aswell.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Florida (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 13:42
O'Brien been playing well but suffers from injuries, however, is an exceptional talent and leader, spoken highly of for his work off the pitch around the team. Look at the impact Smith had at Wasps, no reason why we can't get similar from O'Brien

Kepu Another natural leader, glowing praise from his 'tahs coach, a handful around the park. Past it? Not by the look of things right now.

Jackson not guilty, move on. Lets see how he gets on behind a pack that's (hopefully) not travelling backwards all the time

Naholo a try scoring machine, not in the most sparkling of form right now, but we all know what they say about form

Dell great scrummager, got a bit of pace for a fat lad, good in the loose. Was impressed with how well he handled himself on the Lions tour

Plenty of opportunity for the academy lads and plenty of opportunities for them to learn from some exceptional players.

As long as we remain within the limits of the salary cap I've no issue with being like Sarries

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2019 13:46 by Florida.

GHA (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 13:58
Lack of opportunity for academy players? What about our feeder club down the M4?

As for comparisons to Sarries, I'd love the people who have said that to name a potential starting XV for them next season, and then try and name 15 of our players...

tatthecraic2 (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 14:30
Kepu, Rona and Phipps had cracking games for Tahs this week.

Though Kepu looked absolutely bollocksed by 60 mins

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 14:52
I've been at the euro finals this weekend, and I'm pretty sick of it all, most of the feed back I got when other support saw the LI badge on my jacket was, if they were Irish "Paddy Jackson" then the accusing look, or if premiership supporter "you guys have signed everyone and anyone on the market" to cap it all I saw a headline on one of the rugby papers saying we were the new Toulon! Utter nonsense. It's just the big build up to knock you down, all I'm after is that we are competitive in an attractive (if possible) style of play.

tatthecraic2 (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 14:59
Quote:
all I'm after is that we are competitive in an attractive (if possible) style of play.

I'd be happy next year with 11th place and a surviving season next season.

We all can't get too ahead of ourselves survival is target number 1 next season.

Top 8/6 season 2 or 3

Then go from there

Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 15:10
Florida i dont suppose you'll be calling Dell a 'fat lad' up close and personal like !!

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 15:40
Attractive Rugby? Weíll have none of that malarkey at Irish if you please (Sm14)

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

GHA (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 15:56
F-B - remember the good old days where we got a losing bonus point at the very minimum from every single game we played for about 30 games in a row?

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 16:56
Quote:
GHA
F-B - remember the good old days where we got a losing bonus point at the very minimum from every single game we played for about 30 games in a row?

Certainly do. Perhaps returning to that is part of a five-year plan (Sm14)

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

GHA (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 16:57
The second five years or the third?!

sweetas (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 20:14
Back from Euro finals, only positive feedback re our signings, however, some Sarries supporters questioned us breaking the salary cap 😂😂😂😂😂😂

GHA (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 20:27
Hahaha

I remember Saracens fans sitting behind the posts at Vicarage Road appealing for forward passes a few years ago. They are priceless

Florida (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 20:49
Quote:
Lincs-Exile
Florida i dont suppose you'll be calling Dell a 'fat lad' up close and personal like !!

Why not? He's a prop isn't it?

Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 21:25
Oh i forgot about that

Exile44 (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 10:06
Given some of the threads on other forums it'd be hard to argue we weren't at least making some a little bit nervous.

On paper, we certainly look stronger than Worcester in terms of first XV in my opinion and even the likes of Bristol will be wary that if Newcastle can go from 4th to down, they can drop off as well.

Having said that, it'd be ridiculous to think any further ahead than 11th place seeing as we haven't survived in the Premiership since 2015. Even that shouldn't be taken for granted - I thought we looked stronger than Worcester the last time we came up and we all saw how that panned out.

Very optimistic about having a good season but let's not get carried away.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 11:10
I am not sure if other teams are getting nervous (I doubt it though) but I know that I am. We should not get carried away at all after our recent adventures in the Premiership, it is a tough league. I really think that it smacks of not wanting to be in the Championship for our move to Brentford. I think that the Club will be happy with 11th right now.

CharlieG (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 11:24
Another story about expanding the league to 13 teams and possibly scrapping automatic relegation in the Torygraph: [www.telegraph.co.uk]

Basically says that
Quote:
"The plan will be considered by the Rugby Football Union management board this week. Also up for discussion will be a move to end automatic promotion and relegation from the 2021/22 season by replacing it with a two-legged play-off between the club who finish bottom and the winners of the Championship."

The obvious point is that increasing the league would mean no relgation next year. However, the article suggests that these changes are a long way from being agreed, and the timescale is tight.

TheRealBigEasy (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 11:42
What happened to the plans of cutting the number of games. Thought health was paramount.

Alphacat (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 11:51
Problem I see with the two-legged playoff... It makes it harder to fall down but equally, it makes it harder to get back up if you did lose that playoff game, and could be more detrimental than just spending another season in the championship where all you have to do is win to get back up.

PV (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 13:20
There will be NO relegation next year - FACT

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 13:38
I hope that is true, from a purely selfish/Irish POV, but if so why would Irish spend so much on recruitment when we could give all our academy boys game time without worrying about relegation?

GHA (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 13:41
Quote:
Jamiepep1
I hope that is true, from a purely selfish/Irish POV, but if so why would Irish spend so much on recruitment when we could give all our academy boys game time without worrying about relegation?

More ambition than just finishing bottom of a league with no relegation..?

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 13:45
yeah but in 2-3 years you'd have a team of homegrown talent all young, hungry AND experienced who, should be able to handle themselves well enough in the prem. a la exeter, sarries, even the Italian teams in the Pro14.

I'd take finishing bottom for a couple of years for a long term sustainable homegrown future success.

GHA (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 13:47
Signing 8 / 10 proven international quality players would supplement said homegrown talent more than just letting them play by themselves, wouldn't it? Not to mention the damage to morale / development if the team was just getting humped week in, week out for the first year or two. Not as young, not as hungry, and not experienced in winning...

Alphacat (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 13:47
Unless they move to Bath et al

Exile44 (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 13:51
Quote:
Alphacat
Unless they move to Bath et al

This is a great point.

Even if there is no relegation and you play all of the academy lads, if we finish bottom on a consistent basis (even if we finish NEAR the bottom every year) anyone who is making a real breakthrough will be picked off one by one by the teams higher up the table.

If you bed them in in smaller groups surrounded by bigger name talent however, it hopefully means that by the time we have a great new academy class coming through (2 - 4 yrs) we are back nearer the Champions Cup and maybe even Playoffs, and can hold that team together.

Like I said though, relegation or no relegation, I'd take 11th place right now if it was offered.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 13:58
Even with no relegation next season, there will at least be a play-off the season after that for the bottom club, so we might as well start building properly for that possibility now, rather than try to do it in 12 months time.

Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 14:13
Easy to say we could use our Academy players to flesh out the team when you know there will be no relegation but seeing as how this has just been decided , Declan doesn't have a crystal ball so would'nt know that when starting to recruit !!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net