Latest news:

Poll: Paddy Jackson - where does this forum stand?
Discussion started by Enu , 12 May, 2019 17:40
Poll: Paddy Jackson - where does this forum stand?
Enu 12 May, 2019 17:40

As a supporter of L Irish my view on his signing is...

What's the problem? I'd be happy for him to marry my sister.
I bit uncomfortable with his signing but everyone deserves a 2nd chance. I'll be supporting him when he plays for LI
Fairly unhappy with his signing - wish we hadn't ...but we have. Will continue to support LI but not totally happy about it.
Deeply unhappy with his signing. I will, or I'm likely to, take some sanctions in the way I support.
I'm still undecided how I feel about his signing.

You must be logged in to vote.

135 Votes

Show results

Vote away...

Re: Poll: Paddy Jackson - where does this forum stand?
GHA 12 May, 2019 17:41
I don't have a sister

Welcome to the forum by the way

ExiledChameleon 12 May, 2019 17:49
Enu, you're not a London Irish supporter (search shows no previous comments in the LI board before PJ signed, despite posting on RugbyNetwork since 2011), stop stirring and go back to your own team's forum.

Not voting in this poll, and hopefully the mods remove it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2019 19:15 by ExiledChameleon.

GHA 12 May, 2019 18:48
I say leave the poll up, the results are great so far. It's just a shame Enu's not being upfront, honest and fair with everyone on the way he or she is going about his or her business here on our board. It would've been just as easy to say 'I disagree with the signing but here's a poll' and then word the responses a little more evenly...

tonyh50 12 May, 2019 18:53
Quote:
Enu
Vote away...
As Exiled says you are clearly not an LI supporter or someone who uses the Craic - clearly you have a personal agenda here and Inwould suggest that this is not the place to pursue it. You have made enough comments on other LI topic boards and the responses have not suited you so you are attempting to achieve you aims by initiating yet another.
Basically get over it he is signed and will for the vast majority of LI fans a welcome addition to our squad next season, so please if you wish pursue to this line of yours please find somewhere else to do so, NOT OUR MESSAGE BOARD!!(Sm146)

b.q.f.m 12 May, 2019 19:24
Go away Enu, this is OUR message board.

GHA 12 May, 2019 19:25
Leave the poll though - 23 votes, 0 'deeply unhappy'

aah Bisto 12 May, 2019 21:56
Voted as per the invitation, this is getting tedious now and hopefully this poll and itís results will put an end to this discussion on this site.

I am getting rather concerned though for the first home game as I fear there may well be some kind of picket line formed or demonstration outside the ground by people who are clearly not keen on letting this go.

GHA 12 May, 2019 22:07
A picket line blocking all of one turnstile?

I think the people who aren't keen on letting this go, such as Enu, aren't actually London Irish fans anyway

44 votes, 1 deeply unhappy. Can you vote in your own poll?

aah Bisto 12 May, 2019 22:34
And thatís my point GHA, rent a mob seem to be taking a keen eye on this and it wonít be any of our own fans taking part

GHA 12 May, 2019 22:37
You think all those on twatter and people like Enu are gonna bother actually coming all the way to the Madstad for a moan? It's a lot easier to just do it from the comfort of their own houses

Paul_D 12 May, 2019 22:43
Quote:
I bit uncomfortable with his signing

If youíre going to troll our forum at least do us the courtesy of getting your grammar right.

GHA 12 May, 2019 23:46
52 votes, 2 deeply unhappy.

Is it too soon to proclaim 'the forum has spoken!'

bigbitty 13 May, 2019 06:04
Quote:
GHA
52 votes, 2 deeply unhappy.
Is it too soon to proclaim 'the forum has spoken!'

Maybe he'll put up another one when he finds this one has not gone his way.

LI Bohemian 13 May, 2019 09:26
What like a second referendum?

bigbitty 13 May, 2019 09:56
That's what I was alluding to..(Sm100)

GHA 13 May, 2019 13:42
78 votes, 7 people deeply unhappy. Less than 9% - less than 8% if you take away Enu's vote

Clontarf 13 May, 2019 14:16
I really don't like the idea of this Enu person, of whom I've never heard, uploading a poll on our messageboard about a signing our club has made.

I am tempted to vote and click the "What's the problem? I'd be happy for him to marry my sister" box.

Admittedly Paddy may be less happy marrying my 70th year old retired school teacher sister and putting up with her lecturing him about keeping his room tidy etc etc. I think I can safely say she'd be quick to teach him the right, proper and correct way to treat young ladies in future.

GHA 13 May, 2019 14:26
Enu's gone quiet because the results are so overwhelmingly against what he or she was hoping

Shropshire Hugh 13 May, 2019 15:11
It seems 70 out of 80 are happy to move on and support him. When he converts his own winning try at the Stoop next season I'm guessing that number will be slightly above 79.

Living in the Ionian Isles so just lurking when wifi allows!

GHA 13 May, 2019 15:22
Hang on, Hugh. Enu (who set the poll up) doesn't give a cr*p about us beating Quins as he / she is possibly a Gloucester fan, so there will always be at least 1 person deeply unhappy no matter how well he does.

Lincs-Exile 13 May, 2019 16:14
I'm slightly bewildered as to why anyone is taking any notice of this post at all come on folks don't feed the troll !!!

GHA 13 May, 2019 16:30
Because it's hilarious

GHA 13 May, 2019 16:30
Sorry, I don't mean hilarious. I mean Enu's intentions have failed spectacularly, and it's quite funny

GHA 13 May, 2019 21:17
Less than 7% deeply unhappy if we take off Enu's vote.

Hey Enu, why set up a poll if you're not going to comment as the results unfold?

bigbitty 14 May, 2019 08:07
Just out of interest, I was the second person to vote. The first person had voted for option 1, which shows either:

Enu didn't vote, or
he voted for option 1 (marry my sister), which I would not have expected, or
he voted later, but surely he would have wanted to get the ball rolling.

All rather strange really.

AlecW 14 May, 2019 08:48
Speaking only for myself, I don't really give a stuff who Enu is. There is a (mostly!) healthy debate about the pros and cons of PJ's recruitment going on here and on several other Sportsnetwork messageboards - and, for instance, Owen Slot has picked up on it in today's Torygraph, as have other rugby journos elsewhere.

It seems to me that the matter is a perfectly sensible subject for a poll and from the poll, we will gain at least an aggregate idea of the attitudes of the posters on here who bother to vote.

If Griff, or a regular LI poster had put up a similar poll (albeit possibly with slightly differently worded questions!), would anyone really have objected?

(Sm128)

elegia 14 May, 2019 09:00
as an outsider I am quite interested in this poll & glad it's there as it shows the thoughts of regular LI supporters

NB i'm obviousnot voting in it as it was not set up for me

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Music/Pix/pictures/2011/7/13/1310579502636/New-Order-left-to-right-G-007.jpg

GHA 14 May, 2019 09:12
Looks like Owen Slot's article is in the Times and behind a paywall - could you give us a brief overview?

LI Bohemian 14 May, 2019 10:35
I did not vote as I have not made my mind up, will vote after the first game, when I will know how I feel, but that's just me, most know what their views are already, which is also good

GHA 14 May, 2019 10:45
Quote:

If you haven't made your mind up you could choose that option..?

AlecW 14 May, 2019 11:56
Sorry - I meant The Thunderer, not the Torygraph.

The gist of the article is encapsulated in the last couple of paragraphs (Griff - hope it's not too much to quote):

Quote:
Owen Slot / The Times
Clearly, just as there are those who feel that they cannot abide by the idea of these players [Jackson and Olding] representing their club or their country, there are others who believe in the concept of a second chance. I see both sides; both are right.

Somehow, though, this modern world, so dominated by a strident social media, presents something of an acceptable conclusion. Jackson and Olding will continue to chase their second chances, but they will never be rid of the events that lost them the first [chances] and the closer they get to home, the greater the volume of disapproval will be, the more strident the social media rage, the louder the booing.

They will therefore remain the lesson, the cautionary tale. An education.

[My brackets, to clarify the context]

(Sm128)

GHA 14 May, 2019 12:03
Thanks Alec - I wonder what James Haskell makes of the whole situation

LI Bohemian 14 May, 2019 14:05
Quote:
GHA
Quote:

If you haven't made your mind up you could choose that option..?

I will be decided after the first game, but thanks for your encouragement

GHA 14 May, 2019 14:33
Yeah no probs, I just thought if you were currently undecided you could go with the undecided option. Just thinking of Enu and his / her poll and responses

echidna 14 May, 2019 15:47
Quote:
GHA
I wonder what James Haskell makes of the whole situation

I'm clearly missing something .......

GHA 14 May, 2019 16:06
Haskell and Paul Doran-Jones set up a secret video camera to film Doran-Jones hopping on the good foot and doing the bad thing with his then girlfriend whilst they were in Sixth Form at school. Needless to say the girl didn't know about it and Haskell and Doran-Jones shared the film around. I wonder if they had WhatsApp in those days.

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

GHA 14 May, 2019 21:58
Up to 114 votes, this is great. Where's Enu?

Florida 15 May, 2019 00:37
Quote:
GHA
Up to 114 votes, this is great. Where's Enu?

Is it our highest number of votes for a poll??

Bazzo 15 May, 2019 10:22
Got to be a record, over 100 votes.

GHA 15 May, 2019 20:28
Up to 119, results staying pretty steady

Come on Enu, show your face

SteveS 19 May, 2019 17:20
Quote:
AlecW
Speaking only for myself, I don't really give a stuff who Enu is. There is a (mostly!) healthy debate about the pros and cons of PJ's recruitment going on here and on several other Sportsnetwork messageboards - and, for instance, Owen Slot has picked up on it in today's Torygraph, as have other rugby journos elsewhere.
It seems to me that the matter is a perfectly sensible subject for a poll and from the poll, we will gain at least an aggregate idea of the attitudes of the posters on here who bother to vote.

If Griff, or a regular LI poster had put up a similar poll (albeit possibly with slightly differently worded questions!), would anyone really have objected?

(Sm128)

Indeed, and it's really hard to think of any previous decision by the club that 10 per cent of supporters so viscerally felt was wrong (and a broader figure than that remained so unsettled by). The only previous one I can think of was the move to Reading, and I guess we know how that eventually worked out, with fewer supporters than when we left London.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2019 17:21 by SteveS.

GHA 19 May, 2019 17:40
8.5% Steve, and that's assuming those voters are actually London Irish fans.

You never told me your thoughts on Haskell...

LI Bohemian 19 May, 2019 17:44
Quote:
SteveS
Quote:
AlecW

(Sm128)

Indeed, and it's really hard to think of any previous decision by the club that 10 per cent of supporters so viscerally felt was wrong (and a broader figure than that remained so unsettled by). The only previous one I can think of was the move to Reading, and I guess we know how that eventually worked out, with fewer supporters than when we left London.

I love the"viscerally" bit nice bit of troll work, but turning it into the "move" issue shows supreme trollery of the highest order, now normally I would ignore this but you've got to admire it, would like to point out that Irish had there most successful period at the Madstad with its biggest crowds 24k plus, best performing team and only major silverware, so in hindsight, what are you saying?

SteveS 19 May, 2019 19:50
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
SteveS
Quote:
AlecW

(Sm128)

I love the"viscerally" bit nice bit of troll work, but turning it into the "move" issue shows supreme trollery of the highest order, now normally I would ignore this but you've got to admire it, would like to point out that Irish had there most successful period at the Madstad with its biggest crowds 24k plus, best performing team and only major silverware, so in hindsight, what are you saying?

Why are my views as a London Irish supporter (shareholder, even) since the early 1990s that of a troll, given that they are utterly sincere and derive from my deep concern at the reputation of the club in the wider world and beyond a hardcore of fans who type on messageboards? At least I use my real name on here pal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2019 19:51 by SteveS.

GHA 19 May, 2019 20:16
Haskell, Steve?

My real name's Steve too

SteveS 19 May, 2019 20:56
Quote:
GHA

If we ever sign him, Iíll let you know. Currently he falls under the category of not our problem so dissecting the differences between the cases is an academic exercise for me at least

GHA 19 May, 2019 21:48
Quote:
SteveS
Quote:
GHA

If we ever sign him, Iíll let you know. Currently he falls under the category of not our problem so dissecting the differences between the cases is an academic exercise for me at least

It's great you finally responded, it's just a shame it was such a cop out response.

Are you English?

Shawshank 19 May, 2019 22:34
We probably need to discount as Ďsupportersí at least half of the anti brigade, as they are probably recently registered trolls who have been guided onto here for this single issue.

So that leaves say a small rump of some 5% of actual LI supporters on here deeply unhappy at the signing.

Probably the most decisive poll in the history of this messageboard(Sm100)

LI Bohemian 19 May, 2019 23:57
Why are my views as a London Irish supporter (shareholder, even) since the early 1990s that of a troll, given that they are utterly sincere and derive from my deep concern at the reputation of the club in the wider world and beyond a hardcore of fans who type on messageboards? At least I use my real name on here pal

Look Steve well done for using your real name, now that we are pals, I will say that you seem to come across as a troll to me, the reputation of the club at the moment is one of a yo-yoing club, that unearths new, good talent that other teams benefit from these players, precisely because we are a yo-yoing club, we need good players to break that cycle, PJ is one of those players. On the signing of PJ, a few of us may be undecided, the majority seem to have reached a verdict of acceptance on well thought out reasoning, a very small minority will never accept and want to be noticed, but will go round in circles with their ears covered, most on this Message board are not green goggle wearing die hards, you seem to be unable to come to terms with him being signed and never will.
My name is LI

Conorbay 20 May, 2019 17:14
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
SteveS
Quote:
GHA

It's great you finally responded, it's just a shame it was such a cop out response.

Are you English?

After an absence of a few years Iíve recently returned to this board. Over the past few weeks Iíve been struck by just how intolerant and aggressive a number of posters/posts are of others that hold different, yet perfectly reasonable, opinions.

However, it strikes me as a little more sinister when a posters nationality becomes part of the discussion. SteveS is asked if he is English. Why? What difference does it make? Are we to assume that if SteveS is English, and I believe he is, then his opinion counts for less than if he were Irish? Dangerous path to follow because it leads to a very bad place.

Margin_Walker 20 May, 2019 17:35
Very dangerous path, but I'm pretty sure he was just going down the England rugby fan/Haskell playing for England path.

GHA 20 May, 2019 19:39
Welcome back to the board, Conor. Did you always dip in at the end of threads rather than reading them all the way through, or is it just since you've returned? As an aside, did you always make ludicrous assumptions?

You can be more than pretty sure, M_W!

Alphacat 20 May, 2019 20:40
I have this feeling he is going to be booed every time his name is read out by the PA before each game...

GHA 20 May, 2019 20:44
Quote:
Alphacat
I have this feeling he is going to be booed every time his name is read out by the PA before each game...

By 8% of the crowd? I imagine it'll soon wear off

Conorbay 20 May, 2019 21:08
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Very dangerous path, but I'm pretty sure he was just going down the England rugby fan/Haskell playing for England path.

I very much doubt it and, not surprisingly, he hasnít articulated the context of his question to SteveS.

Perhaps this is the beginning of the Irish taking back control of London Irish.

LI Bohemian 20 May, 2019 21:14
Quote:
Conorbay
Quote:
Margin_Walker

I very much doubt it and, not surprisingly, he hasnít articulated the context of his question to SteveS.

The East Enders Duff-Duffs went off in my head

Conorbay 20 May, 2019 21:23
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
Conorbay
Quote:
Margin_Walker

The East Enders Duff-Duffs went off in my head

I havenít watched Eastenders since the 1980s so have no idea of what this means. Iím not in the slightest bit surprised that you appear to be a committed fan.

GHA 20 May, 2019 21:37
Quote:
Conorbay
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Hi Conor,

It didn't take a rocket scientist to work out the context of the question. God knows what it took for you to arrive where you did, mind.

bigbitty 20 May, 2019 21:38
All I know is that the duff duffs were the signal to change channel. I have never knowingly watched Eastenders, but I do not claim pride for this. I also have never seen Crossroads, Love Island, Strickly (as I believe it's called), something to do with Essex or Game of Thrones. I'm just not that interested.

Yet, I quite happily watch re-runs of Startrek (of whatever generation), or Guy Fieri on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.

Weird I am.

Conorbay 20 May, 2019 21:52
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Conorbay
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Hi Conor,

It didn't take a rocket scientist to work out the context of the question. God knows what it took for you to arrive where you did, mind.

As I appear to be a little slow please indulge me and explain

Alphacat 20 May, 2019 21:53
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Alphacat

By 8% of the crowd? I imagine it'll soon wear off

Not so much our home games, I moreso meant away games where fans may be more quick to judge, it not being their own player and all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net