Latest news:

Mark Wilson
Discussion started by Margin_Walker , 09 June, 2019 06:36
Mark Wilson
Margin_Walker 09 June, 2019 06:36
Fissler going with us trying to sign Mark Wilson as a SOB replacement in TRP today.

Edit - purely on rugby terms, I'd much prefer this to SOB if they were to get it over the line. If it were a proper deal, rather than a loan for a year, he's got plenty of miles left in the tank and nothing like the injury issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2019 08:28 by Margin_Walker.

Re: Mark Wilson
PV 09 June, 2019 10:35
Sale clear favourites apparently

Lazyboy346 09 June, 2019 11:05
Probably just Fissler fishing again. Irish looking for an international back row, Wilson is an international back row who is rumoured to be looking for a loan or move to a Premiership club. Throw enough of the (at most) 12 teams he could possibly move to as possible destinations and one will be right.

Could be us as an outside shot but Sale has been rumoured for so long and its local so little disruption for him in the probable year before Newcastle get promoted. Would still be delighted if he did come here but unlikely.

PV 09 June, 2019 11:13
No guarantees of Newcastle going back up, they’ve lost more players than we did when we were relegated. Ealing have strengthened as well.

Exile_Dave 09 June, 2019 11:20
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Fissler going with us trying to sign Mark Wilson as a SOB replacement in TRP today.
Edit - purely on rugby terms, I'd much prefer this to SOB if they were to get it over the line. If it were a proper deal, rather than a loan for a year, he's got plenty of miles left in the tank and nothing like the injury issues.

TRP has this as a permanent signing not a loan one due to his relegation clause.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

ExiledChameleon 09 June, 2019 12:08
Goes without saying that this would be an amazing signing. Possibly our best business this summer if it comes to fruition.

CharlieDog 10 June, 2019 10:19
Quote:
PV
they’ve lost more players than we did when we were relegated.

Have we?

Since relegation was confirmed we have lost 2 players - Hammersley and Harris. Apparently there is only one more relegation clause leaver to be announced so betting is on between Kibirige and Wilson.

Of course other players may leave at end of contract or by agreement (eg loan).

Earlier in the season a few other players were announced as leaving for a variety of personal reasons which would have happened anyway.

All in all, not too bad so far and plenty of up and coming quality to fill their place

PV 10 June, 2019 10:27
Don’t get me wrong CD, big fan of Newcastle and I wish you all the best.

List felt longer than 2 and as with us, several exercised the clause or agreed to move post Jan (which is when discussions on contracts take place and makes it look more palatable than ‘rats jumping sinking ship’).

Margin_Walker 10 June, 2019 10:46
Can't see Newcastle struggling.

Don't think Ealing will have improved massively and Newcastle are are a better team than we were this time last year.

PV 10 June, 2019 11:43
So current list of players in and out of Falcons....

Players In
United States Greg Peterson from France Bordeaux[152][153]
England Josh Basham from England Durham University[154]
England Darren Barry from England Worcester Warriors[155]
Wales Gareth Owen from England Leicester Tigers[156]
England Toby Salmon from England Exeter Chiefs[157]
England Mark Tampin from England Ealing Trailfinders[158]

Players Out
France Sami Mavinga to France Stade Francais[159]
Scotland Andrew Davidson to Scotland Glasgow Warriors[160]
Portugal Pedro Bettencourt to France Oyonnax[161]
England Will Witty to England Exeter Chiefs[162]
Scotland Glen Young to England Harlequins[163]
England Cameron Cowell to England Doncaster Knights[164]
England Ryan Burrows to England Coventry[165]
Scotland Ruaridh Dawson to England Cornish Pirates[166]
England Calum Green to England Leicester Tigers[167]
Argentina Santiago Socino to Argentina Jaguares[168]
England Simon Hammersley to England Sale Sharks[169]
Scotland Chris Harris to England Gloucester [170]

Excluding Wilson

tatthecraic2 10 June, 2019 11:49
I'm not sure I'd want him.

Not due to talent. But i cant help but feel his heart wouldn't be in the club or area.

The only way we'd get him is by throwing stupid money at him. And that would make him a mercenary. Money would have motivated him to come. Not the club and not the area.

We saw what happened with London Welsh.

He's great. But he's probably not for us.

Margin_Walker 10 June, 2019 12:30
First point is fair enough although I'm sure he's professional enough to go all out for whichever jersey he pulls on.

Not sure about the second point. LW signed a lot of players, but they were journeymen, unknowns and an overweight Piri Weepu. Besides I doubt most players we sign come for the love of the club initially. It's a fairly lucrative but short career, so money will be the primary motivation for many of our new players. Nothing inherently wrong with that at all as long as they are putting in the effort on the pitch and training field.

Either way, think he's more likely either Sale or Championship bound.

Tom1215 10 June, 2019 12:30
comparing us to London welsh is funny.
London welsh got a whole new squad of average premiership/championship players.
We’ve signed some real talent who will push the club forward.
How you wouldn’t want Wilson in the squad I’ll never know. We’ve had schatz and gilsenan playing in the back row that’s all the info we need to make this Wilson deal happen.

Tom1215 10 June, 2019 12:32
London irish: linked with world class player

London irish fans: no thanks we’ve got an academy player

Shawshank 10 June, 2019 12:41
Agreed that if we could get him for say a 2-3 year contract it would be an exceptionally good signing.

I suspect though that he's a pretty loyal sort of bloke and may at most sign up to a 12 month loan spell.

PV 10 June, 2019 12:49
Or he stays at Falcons and is selected for RWC as technically wont have played in Championship this coming season (even if that matters), and forgoes 6N to help them get promoted (once again, if Championship renders him unplayable for England).

nimblehippo 10 June, 2019 13:21
Quote:
Tom1215

(Sm22) Some would probably turn down Beauden Barrett to give Atkins a shot

I think a loan spell would work well for both clubs - we fill a gap for a year with a good hardworking player who wants to maintain an England place, but can look to get someone else in more long term.

Lincs-Exile 10 June, 2019 14:36
Have to agree with you Nimble and as you say would give us breathing space to find another replacement for SOB if the surgery doesn't workout.

orsoncart 10 June, 2019 17:01
Quote:
Tom1215

FFS, I'd have Mark Wilson here in a heartbeat> He's a really tough competitor who would add some real grit(plus a fair bit of skill)

Now a couple of flankers like TJ and MW would really be something

SirBurger 10 June, 2019 17:51
Wilson would be a great signing and really doesn't strike me as the mercenary sort. SOB is injury-prone and is going to come with a fair bit of baggage off the field by the looks of things. Wilson is younger, versatile has a good track record with injuries and is the ultimate professional.

Exile_Dave 29 June, 2019 13:46
Looks like a no go on this signing.

[www.rugbypass.com]

Tom1215 29 June, 2019 15:02
might as well go all out for Parisse now.
Back row cover for a season with the uncertainty surrounding O’Brien.

Exile_Dave 29 June, 2019 17:59
Yeah was thinking the same. Parisse would be an emense signing.

Bazzo 29 June, 2019 18:55
What is Stefan Armitage doing? Is he still in France?

Margin_Walker 29 June, 2019 20:33
Not really that fussed on Parisse. Fantastic player in his prime, but he'll be 36 by the time the season starts and will probably command a premium.

Not sure he's on a level with the (very few) other back to players like George Smith who have remained effective into their late 30s.

HMRH 30 June, 2019 12:48
Fissler has Wilson to Sale.

Fursa 02 July, 2019 16:30
signed for Sale for 1 year on Falcons club website

Florida 02 July, 2019 19:05
Pretty sad state of affairs that one of their best / most solid players has to go out on loan in order to continue being selected for England.

Glad he's only gone for the year and hope Falcons done need him in the Championship (I'm sure they'll do fine without him)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net