rugbyunion
Latest News:

Diageo cancels London Irish deal over Paddy Jackson signing
SteveS (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 23:58
Guardian article below, a sponsor since 1989!! Cancels today

The sad thing was this was all so inevitable. If LI had done some basic due diligence, every business has corporate social responsibility advisers these days that will give you a pretty accurate run-through of what can happen to the reputations of their organisations if they take certain decisions.

What do they know of rugby that only rugby know, to paraphrase a famous quote

[www.theguardian.com]

Re: Diageo cancels London Irish deal over Paddy Jackson signing
ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 02:14
Yes, I'm sure the couple of thousand Diageo chuck at us every year should give them a total veto over our signings.

The only bit inconsistent with Diageo's values about the hiring of PJ is that he only maybe traumatised somebody, whereas Diageo's alcohol provably traumatises thousands of people around the world every day (incidence of rape, assault domestic abuse etc all go up when alcohol is consumed).

Make no mistake Diageo isn't the family owned Guinness of old, they're a massive multinational focused on keeping a squeaky clean reputation so that they can avoid regulation preventing them from ruthless exploiting and endangering the vulnerable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/06/2019 02:17 by ExiledChameleon.

The Sligo Rover (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 06:58
Does this mean that it will be Murphys or Beamish at The Madstad next season?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/06/2019 06:58 by The Sligo Rover.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 07:07
A multinational booze company, whose products are responsible for the death and suffering of thousands of folks, and which leads to countless cases of domestic abuse, mouthing off about its alleged ďvaluesĒ is indeed a pretty repulsive look.

Good riddance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/06/2019 07:08 by Shawshank.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 07:50
Yes, alcohol is a problem in society.

Where has all this outrage been in the previous thirty years?

Luton Irish (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 07:56
Maybe O'Hara's

Florida (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 08:24
Quote:
Gray_Lensman

I think the outrage is down to a company that cause many problems trying to claim moral high ground. It's not been an issue previously because they've not attempted to reach for any moral high ground.

I think part of problem is not knowing what their core values are, which of said values the signings conflict with and why. I'm sure they've discussed this at length with the LI management folk though.

Personally I'm a little disappointed by the whole situation but ultimately don't really care. Guinness / Diageo may have had a long standing history with the club, but for me they were just a little badge on a shirt. Sponsors come and go, I'm sure in the fullness of time we'll get another, although hopefully not one similar to Cash Converters.

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 08:46
The press are reporting the matter as if Diageo were the club's main sponsor. As far as I can tell, they are simply our beer partner for the St Patrick's day match - big deal! I can't help thinking that Diageo have probably got a whole lot more coverage in just a few days through ending their association with LI than they ever would have had through maintaining it for another year, so one might be forgiven for thinking that it was a move driven by moral cowardice with a liberal dose of cynicism thrown in.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 08:56
I have mixed feelings on this. Disappointed that they have gone because they are such a long time sponsor and a brand that we should want to be associated with and have been for such a long time. Not sure that we thought out the PJ signing properly. Not sure what he has done for us to deserve this backing from us, I can only assume that Kidney has got him for a bargain and that he is taking a big punt on him otherwise why go through all this pain for him.

Main concern for me is how we replace a sponsor like Guinness and the knock on effect it has on other sponsors. When such a big brand tarnishes our name (and that is what they are doing), how do other companies react? You will now have to disagree with Guinness (and their values) to sponsor us. Makes it a very hard sell and once again revenues must be tight for the club, Mick's pockets must be very deep.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 09:31
Bazzo though I respect your opinion that JP is a bad signing it's hard to discern what is mixed about your feelings from the post.
We really don't know whether LI have considered the implications or for that matter whether these sponsors are using this "publicity" as a cheap way of putting their products in the moral high ground, one being a seller of legalised drug the other a legalised loan shark, why would we want to be associated with them.

old hillbilly (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 09:38
Quote:
SixNineOne
The press are reporting the matter as if Diageo were the club's main sponsor. As far as I can tell, they are simply our beer partner for the St Patrick's day match - big deal! I can't help thinking that Diageo have probably got a whole lot more coverage in just a few days through ending their association with LI than they ever would have had through maintaining it for another year, so one might be forgiven for thinking that it was a move driven by moral cowardice with a liberal dose of cynicism thrown in.
I was thinking the same thing, a very cheap way of getting lots of great publicity by dropping a long term partner in it. And you can always rely on the media to not let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Clontarf (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 09:54
Did a little googling. Iín addition to Guinness, Tanqueray Gin, which I like, and Baileys are off the Clontarf shopping list.
Whiskey/whisky drinkers may have more difficult decisions to make as Diageo have considerable interests there.
I now have a moral and financial reason to buy the Lidl own brand Baileys lookalike for pouring over my ice cream and switch my allegiance to Silent Pool Gin.
Hennessy Brandy is similarly off the list but Iíve always been a Remy man.
I sincerely hope they donít own any wine brands I like. That would be a real sacrifice.

Life is full of difficult decisions but we all have to play our part

PV (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 10:22
Diageo - role model....

Fined for bribery - 12m dollars

Had to make public apology to Brewdog for dirty tricks

Facilitate thousands of deaths through alcoholism

Rank hypocrisy.

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 10:31
Hell of a lot of pressure on PJ's shoulders.

Come on you Irish

Paul

nimblehippo (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 10:51
Good riddance, and I hope the club doesn't offer their products anymore. Why have they only made the move now, move has been on the cards for so long. Anyone fancy making a petition to get Diageo to drop Haskell for his shenanigans to see what they say?

Florida (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 10:54
Quote:
nimblehippo
Anyone fancy making a petition to get Diageo to drop Haskell for his shenanigans to see what they say?

Not really, life's too short. I'd rather shake hands, say thanks for the support over the years and move on.

YoungMan (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 12:26
You gotta love their moral High Ground:

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Derby Irish Fan (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 12:27
I note that you have ended sponsorship of london irish on the spurious grounds of a drinks company having moral values, happy also to follow all the media trolls but if you look at your own history very few morals appear. i for one will be boycotting any brands sold by you even though I am one person but one can become a flood.

my little protest emailed to them

YoungMan (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 12:33

SirBurger (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 13:14

SirBurger (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 13:20

Clontarf (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 22:31
[www.google.co.uk]

An Irish great stands up for our man.

GHA (IP Logged)
15 June, 2019 00:09
Mr Finlay, like others, refers to a number of WhatsApp messages of which Jackson appears to have sent only one, and one of the least vulgar at that

hooker 72 (IP Logged)
15 June, 2019 09:13
with all due respect to the majority of great London Irish fans who are great folks, some of the justification, logic and lack of morals being displayed on here regarding your new fly half and sponser withdrawal is pretty shocking and sad.

PV (IP Logged)
15 June, 2019 09:21
ĎWith all due respectí - whenever I hear or read this opener invariably itís a pathetic excuse for the deliverer to then show no respect.

How about explaining what is shocking and sad?

shimmieandshake (IP Logged)
15 June, 2019 09:59
It's irresponsible journalism to use quotes from the Whatsapp thread without attributing them, therefore implying it was Jackson.

If it was about the quotes, then why aren't sponsors dropping out of Ulster, given Craig Gilroy, to whom you can probably attribute the worst words from that Whatsapp group, still plays for them?

This is about everyone giving their own guilty verdict on a very public court case in which Jackson was exonerated. Which is pretty disturbing.

Also, don't forget the businesses are just that.'Values' are a flexible business asset, there may have been other reasons Diageo wanted to pull out, and this a convenient excuse. Publicity is mentioned above, and it's a pretty good shout.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
15 June, 2019 11:04
That perfectly sums it up for me shimmieandshake. The point about Gilroy, in particular, is spot on.

BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
15 June, 2019 14:00
Quote:
shimmieandshake

This is about everyone giving their own guilty verdict on a very public court case in which Jackson was exonerated. Which is pretty disturbing.

Hold on a second - Exonerated: absolve (someone) from blame for a fault or wrongdoing.

Paddy Jacksons own apology at that time would indicate that although he was acquitted of rape he himself doesn't think that there was no fault or wrongdoing?

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Paddy Jackson said he would "always regret" the events of that night and apologised "unreservedly" for messages he sent in the aftermath.

But he told the Press Association he had "betrayed the values of his family" and was sorry.

So the verdict was not guilty but IMO people shouldn't be criticised for not liking what he did and he sure wasn't exonerated. As a result, that Diageo has decided to not have their brand across his chest is just a marketing / PR decision isn't it?

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
15 June, 2019 15:33
Being pronounced not guilty is a perfectly acceptable definition for exonerated. Diageo are perfectly within their right to walk away, but it I'll personally still raise an eyebrow at some of the hypocrisy on display.

Good of all the Bath fans on the board today to take such an interest though. Always a pleasure.

Steelman (IP Logged)
15 June, 2019 16:27
Quote:
Clontarf
Did a little googling. Iín addition to Guinness, Tanqueray Gin, which I like, and Baileys are off the Clontarf shopping list.
Whiskey/whisky drinkers may have more difficult decisions to make as Diageo have considerable interests there.
I now have a moral and financial reason to buy the Lidl own brand Baileys lookalike for pouring over my ice cream and switch my allegiance to Silent Pool Gin.
Hennessy Brandy is similarly off the list but Iíve always been a Remy man.
I sincerely hope they donít own any wine brands I like. That would be a real sacrifice.

Life is full of difficult decisions but we all have to play our part

Brilliant post,catchs the mood perfectly,wot the hell can we do to change things...I ll have one of wot clontarfs drinking!

plzd (IP Logged)
15 June, 2019 21:08
Quote:
GHA
Mr Finlay, like others, refers to a number of WhatsApp messages of which Jackson appears to have sent only one, and one of the least vulgar at that
that is wonderful I hope he goes out with your daughter if you think he is a good guy

plzd (IP Logged)
15 June, 2019 21:13
[quote shimmieandshake]It's irresponsible journalism to use quotes from the Whatsapp thread without attributing them, therefore implying it was Jackson.

If it was about the quotes, then why aren't sponsors dropping out of Ulster, given Craig Gilroy, to whom you can probably attribute the worst words from that Whatsapp group, still plays for them?

Also, don't forget the businesses are just that.'Values' are a flexible business asset, there may have been other reasons Diageo wanted to pull out, and this a convenient excuse. Publicity is mentioned above, and it's a pretty good shout.[/quote what business do i
Is up to them the fact is that signing pj has cost money and is turning into a domino effect in a world where companies are terrified of social media

GHA (IP Logged)
15 June, 2019 23:19
Quote:
plzd
Quote:
GHA
that is wonderful I hope he goes out with your daughter if you think he is a good guy

Are you old enough to have kids?

Rupes (IP Logged)
16 June, 2019 17:52
Leaving aside everything else, remember that brands do have a choice as to where to spend their sponsorship budgets. Irish connection or otherwise, Diageo have no obligation to look at LI any different to any of their other deals.

Why, therefore, would they choose to spend the budget where there may be a perception issue, as opposed to spending it somewhere where none of those perception issues may occur? It's Sponsorship 101 really, all they are doing is following good business practice.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
17 June, 2019 14:15
Quote:
Rupes
Leaving aside everything else, remember that brands do have a choice as to where to spend their sponsorship budgets. Irish connection or otherwise, Diageo have no obligation to look at LI any different to any of their other deals.
Why, therefore, would they choose to spend the budget where there may be a perception issue, as opposed to spending it somewhere where none of those perception issues may occur? It's Sponsorship 101 really, all they are doing is following good business practice.

This is a good point, business always takes the stance that it has to behave as the general public would want their brewery or loan sharks to act, it doesn't have to be right or wrong and they don't have to justify it, I was honestly unsure of this signing, but now I'm 100% behind it now and will always avoid the products involved in these businesses, pathetic I know but you got to do your bit, to be fair I'm puzzled how legalised loan sharks exist in a modern democracy.

TeflonTed (IP Logged)
17 June, 2019 14:46
LiB. Itís a part of having that democracy Iím afraid.

Thereís probably not many loan sharks or payday lenders in China, but thereís not much democracy either.

Bill the chip (IP Logged)
17 June, 2019 16:07
Diageo could have been the 1st major company to put a line in the sand and really front up on this on going issue and say weíre gonna start a programme with Pj to help awareness , bring in womenís groups, etc .... like the kick out racism in football and rainbow laces . The profit margins they crave, would have trebled overnight but now a company( with a shocking record in court) has re fuelled the social media lynch mob , why didnít they just say they were ending their partnership and ride into sunset??

Clontarf (IP Logged)
17 June, 2019 17:23
I had a look at Perpignan and Brive's (Stuart Olding) sponsors in the hope that one of them was a Diageo subsidiary. This was just to highlight their hypocrisy for my own satisfaction.

No luck on that front but Gerard Bertrand is a Perpignan Sponsor

[www.gerard-bertrand.com]

His wine is now on my shopping list.

Sunbury bumkin (IP Logged)
18 June, 2019 07:19
Gerard Bertrand's Cote Des Roses is a lovely summer 'blush' Rose. Comes in a fancy bottle too, if you want to impress the laydees!

Pigmy (IP Logged)
19 June, 2019 23:27
A interesting perspective from one of the journalists:-

"If Diageo really wanted to do something worthwhile for females why not sponsor the womenís Six Nations and put its money where its mouth is?"

Guinness have a very strong marketing team but a pretty poor product. There are a few ways to hide a poor quality beer - chill it, stick nitrogen into it, fizz it through a sparkler. Let's see them do something constructive for a change.

Take PJ as you see him. He was found not guilty, apologised and move away to let the media hype die down. Now he's back as a talented number 10 and he's playing for us.

Welcome Paddy - COYI

SteveS (IP Logged)
22 June, 2019 12:39
Quote:
Gray_Lensman

Yep apparently signing PJ means we all have to become prohibitionists now.

The knots people are now tying themselves in to defend the indefensible would be funny if the reputation of the club wasnít now damaged for years to come

GHA (IP Logged)
22 June, 2019 12:57
Indefensible? He was found not guilty, he by no means sent the worst of the messages that were made publicly available, he apologised on a number of occasions. What's indefensible, exactly?

Florida (IP Logged)
22 June, 2019 14:20
Quote:
SteveS
Quote:
Gray_Lensman

The knots people are now tying themselves in to defend the indefensible would be funny if the reputation of the club wasnít now damaged for years to come

Not drinking Guinness is hardly tying oneself in a knot. Its not exactly a decent drink and the time it takes them to pour it at the mad stad means you miss one or both halves.

cjm. (IP Logged)
22 June, 2019 14:21
Think we should double down and sign Israel Folau.

Florida (IP Logged)
22 June, 2019 16:28
Quote:
cjm.
Think we should double down and sign Israel Folau.

Sure, as soon as he realises he's been acting like a d!ck, apologises for his behaviour and the harm is caused.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
22 June, 2019 18:01
Quote:
SteveS
Quote:
Gray_Lensman

Come on steve son, this type of trolling is well below the standards set on this MB
Please up your game.
I'm sure you get more attention than you think, and I think your more intelligent than you come across.
Read it slowly, twice if you need to.
Prohibition means no alcohol at all.

Now please carry on with the JP baiting.

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
23 June, 2019 12:06
Viewing this thread from outside somehow reminds me of Boris Johnson's neighbour.

GHA (IP Logged)
23 June, 2019 13:18
Quote:
SimonG19
Viewing this thread from outside somehow reminds me of Boris Johnson's neighbour.

How topical of you

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
23 June, 2019 13:33
Quote:
SimonG19

Thatís a creepy observation.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/06/2019 13:34 by Exile_Dave.

bigbitty (IP Logged)
23 June, 2019 13:55
Quote:
Exile_Dave
Quote:
SimonG19

Thatís a creepy observation.

Please, please everybody, don't spill red wine on your PC/phone. No good will come of it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net