rugbyunion
Latest News:

O/T - Morgan's fantastic knock today
Finno (IP Logged)
18 June, 2019 23:14
Firstly this is a little 'tongue in cheek' so don't lynch me !

What a knock by Eoin Morgan today, 17 6's, a real captains innings. He is being lauded across all the press as being England's best one day captain ever, who has completely turned around England's side and they are favourites(rightly so) to become champions.

It amuses me that the English press whether written or on TV, will make no mention that Eoin is actually born and bred irsh(republic), played for Ireland before furthering his career in England and subsequently qualifying for England. I've no problem with that and good luck to him and England. Gives me a reason to watch the cricket.

However, what does slightly irk me is the same reporting is never afforded to the Irish rugby team when they have a great win. 'ah yea but they have a number of players that really aren't Irish, (e.g. Stander will never be referred to as Irish but South African and Aki as a New Zealander)

Rant'ish over, maybe I should just get used to the English press after living here for the last thirty years. p.s. I'll be supporting England to win the Cricket World Cup.

C'mon Morgan!!

Re: O/T - Morgan's fantastic knock today
aah Bisto (IP Logged)
18 June, 2019 23:32
I think that also has a lot to do with Morgan himself as he never really pushes the Irishness about him, plus cricket writers very rarely write for a new market so once theyíve covered a topic they generally leave it. Plenty of other players over many years have been in this scenario so it really is nothing new other than Morgan is by far the stand out performer.

The last player who really made his background known to all was Robert Croft, never shy to tell all and sundry he was Welsh not English. KP also was not shy with his origin

Scottish Brian (IP Logged)
19 June, 2019 08:00
What a superb knock, the freedom he plays with and his brutal dispatch of the ball over the boundary for a record 17 times was imperious and as a Captain his transformation of English limited Over cricket from also rans into the best One day side in the World is nothing short of remarkable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/06/2019 09:19 by Scottish Brian.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
19 June, 2019 10:30
The press seemed to have moved on to J Archer being born in the windies, they did originally mention Morgan when he originally jumped ship, but as said before, cricket writers are a breed apart.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
19 June, 2019 10:36
To be fair to the English press and fans, they are far more gracious towards Irish sports teams than the Irish are towards England. It comes under Celtic rivalry but it gets a bit much at times. Same goes for Scots and welsh.
In regards to the cricket, itís a testament to Irish sport that they can put out an international team. So many sports yet such a small population.

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
23 June, 2019 11:57
The Irishman did well. Just a shame he isn't playing for Ireland.

Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
23 June, 2019 15:33
Simon do you share your wisdom with all the boards or is Irish a special project of yours !!

bigbitty (IP Logged)
23 June, 2019 17:43
My sons, had they been good enough, could have played for many countries:

No 1 son for Ireland (father), England (mother), Wales (residence), Germany (birth), and lately Canada (residence)

No 2 son for Ireland (father), England (mother), Wales (residence), The Sudan (birth), and lately Australia (residence)

I don't remember there being much rugby played in The Sudan, though! I was a member of the Khartoum Cricket Club for a while.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/06/2019 17:51 by bigbitty.

Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
23 June, 2019 18:09
BB was Gordon playing for KCC when you were there !!

bigbitty (IP Logged)
23 June, 2019 19:02
Thank you! A little past his time. However the base for the Khartoum Sailing Club was Gordon's gunboat, the Malik. This is the boat manhandled through the seven(?) Cataracts up the Nile to Khartoum
Interestingly, it was unsurprisingly starting to rust and leak.
The solution was to fill the space in the bilges with concrete. It worked!

I regard myself as lucky to have lived in interesting times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/06/2019 19:06 by bigbitty.

Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
23 June, 2019 20:27
Gordon Pasha being an Officer in the Corps of Royal Engineers would naturally take his gunboat in the most tortuous route to Khartoum thats what he had Sappers for. He still sits astride his camel outside the Corps Headquarters in Brompton barracks in Chatham

LLL (IP Logged)
24 June, 2019 11:44
Lol does make me smile and I appreciate itís a tongue in cheek comment.

Makes no mention of Morgan being Irish? Yes they do, they all do. Prob a lot less these days as heís been on the England scene for donkeys so itís old news.

Anyway, heís a solid captain for sure. The next three games are going to be interesting. Heís going to have to be even cooler than normal.

Good luck England!

Ps Morgan is Irish smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net