rugbyunion
Latest News:

Site adverts - getting rid?
waltham (IP Logged)
25 June, 2019 21:15
Can someone remind me as to how I can get rid of these damned adverts...They are really slowing my system down... I thought they disappeared on a 2nd load but no...not any more...

Re: Site adverts - getting rid?
Alphacat (IP Logged)
25 June, 2019 21:38
Adblock (Chrome)

Similar apps available on other web browsers

cjm. (IP Logged)
25 June, 2019 23:57
Opera browser has built in adblocking and I see no adverts on this site. Shame over the top ads mean extreme ad blocking or people not visiting for the most part.

waltham (IP Logged)
26 June, 2019 10:06
Thanks - I thought there used to be some setting or other which meant we didn't have to install a proprietary Ad Blocker...I agree - it';s a real shame the ads have reached this level...I've no objection to a few BUT!!

Strom (IP Logged)
26 June, 2019 10:10
I rarely post here or bother reading, although I still am very much an LI supporter. It really is an antiquated piece of the WWW.

Then again the LI support have done nothing to improve a CRAIC noticeboard so you're getting just what you didn't pay for.

Right now Wasps and Sale are offline. They're in the process of moving to something better.
Quins and Gloucester and are running something much better.

Maybe time to get a fiver or so from that huge CVC pile and move to the 21st Century.

This is my last post ever here. Thanks guys I've enjoyed your company! Adios.

/rant

waltham (IP Logged)
26 June, 2019 10:22
Quote:
Strom
I rarely post here or bother reading, although I still am very much an LI supporter. It really is an antiquated piece of the WWW.
Then again the LI support have done nothing to improve a CRAIC noticeboard so you're getting just what you didn't pay for.

Right now Wasps and Sale are offline. They're in the process of moving to something better.
Quins and Gloucester and are running something much better.

Maybe time to get a fiver or so from that huge CVC pile and move to the 21st Century.

This is my last post ever here. Thanks guys I've enjoyed your company! Adios.

/rant

Bye Strom - seems a bit harsh given that this site is completely independent, not connected or influenced by either LI or even LISC and managed by a few pretty dedicated volunteers..

Shawshank (IP Logged)
26 June, 2019 11:59
It will be a shame if the other supporter sites move away, as it's always interesting dipping in and out of other sites, esp with a match coming up against them.

Apart from the adverts I can't see what's wrong with the SN format - or for that matter why say Shedweb is any better?

waltham (IP Logged)
26 June, 2019 20:22
Quote:
Shawshank
It will be a shame if the other supporter sites move away, as it's always interesting dipping in and out of other sites, esp with a match coming up against them.

Apart from the adverts I can't see what's wrong with the SN format - or for that matter why say Shedweb is any better?

(Sm160)

However - Facebook etc has changed things..Personally though I still like this structure - including the ability to search way - way back through the archived rubbish that we all spout....

cjm. (IP Logged)
27 June, 2019 00:52
Just registered cjm. at forum.viewfromthe22.com (where Sale are supposedly decamping too )and posted first LI post.

Very stark compared to here but I guess it's only getting going. The functionality works well here just needs some TLC.

Florida (IP Logged)
27 June, 2019 09:19
Quote:
cjm.
Just registered cjm. at forum.viewfromthe22.com (where Sale are supposedly decamping too )and posted first LI post.
Very stark compared to here but I guess it's only getting going. The functionality works well here just needs some TLC.

The fact viewfromthe22 doesn't allow you to manage cookies is a hard pass from me.

Here I have no problem with, it's a bit flakey now and then but overall not too bad (post adblock install).

23Shark (IP Logged)
27 June, 2019 09:45
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
cjm.

The fact viewfromthe22 doesn't allow you to manage cookies is a hard pass from me.

Here I have no problem with, it's a bit flakey now and then but overall not too bad (post adblock install).

Which cookies would you like to remove Florida?

It's possible in Chrome to block all cookies but I'll take a look into finding a plugin that gives you the option to manage them

Florida (IP Logged)
27 June, 2019 09:58
Quote:
23Shark
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
cjm.

Which cookies would you like to remove Florida?

It's possible in Chrome to block all cookies but I'll take a look into finding a plugin that gives you the option to manage them

I'm not a fan of advertising cookies, but fully supportive of performance and metric cookies. Which is why I don't want to block all, I want a choice of managing. It's something we get with sportnetwork and most other sites to be honest. I generally avoid sites that don't offer the granular choice.

cjm. (IP Logged)
27 June, 2019 12:18
It's not something I ever give a thought to. I imagine it's quite a niche consideration.

I know that the safari browser is doing more to tame the tracking/advertising shenanigans that some companies get up to.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
27 June, 2019 12:32
Most the teams that advocate these "we have found a better site, we're going it alone" have supplied most trolls on this site, why would that be? Is it due to a lack of visibility or a disregard for the teams that are on SN?
I quite like the site because I'm not tech savvy at all but can use it, plus it is good to see what the general mood is on on events with other teams.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
27 June, 2019 12:36
It would be nice if we were promoted before the second game of next season though

23Shark (IP Logged)
27 June, 2019 13:23
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Most the teams that advocate these "we have found a better site, we're going it alone" have supplied most trolls on this site, why would that be? Is it due to a lack of visibility or a disregard for the teams that are on SN?
I quite like the site because I'm not tech savvy at all but can use it, plus it is good to see what the general mood is on on events with other teams.

The difference is with this one that we are looking to make a better version of SportsNetwork, this site isn't far off breaking as it's run on very old software and there's no SSL certificate meaning the site isn't even secure.

The new site is running a safe forum software which is updated regularly and has better functionality which means it's easier to use both on PC and mobile.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
27 June, 2019 13:42
23Shark not knocking your site, just wondering why the increase in trolls, apart from the usual Harlequins ones,
It probably is a fantastic idea to move and safe as houses, but that is all lost on me as I don't know a cookie from a trojan horse, it's an evolution thing I expect and a matter of natural selection which site is there in the future.

M51 (IP Logged)
29 June, 2019 14:42
Thanks alphacat for info on Adblock, works a treat and I gave them a few quid to which they were delighted. Both parties satisfied with the outcome.
Cheers M

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net