Latest news:

O/T - 6 Nations
Discussion started by Exile_Dave , 12 July, 2019 14:52
O/T - 6 Nations
Exile_Dave 12 July, 2019 14:52
CVC looking to remove 6 Nations from free-to-air TV.

[www.rugbypass.com]

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Re: O/T - 6 Nations
Clontarf 12 July, 2019 15:31
Anything to do with the 6 Nations is definitely not Other Topic or O/T.

For me, and I admit I'm totally massively biased, the 5 Nations or the 6 Nations as it became is the finest sporting competition in the world bar none.

This is said with total ignorance because I've watched or attended very few other competitions but I don't care. I've seen plenty of All Ireland finals and the occasional soccer, tennis, cricket and sailing doodah

Everything about it is brilliant even though I rarely attend more that 1 game a year.

So, mess with it at your peril CVC.

LI Bohemian 12 July, 2019 15:46
I have a vision of a magical cow that every year gives the finest milk from February to March,but after a while, it is partly owned by a chancer named Charles Von Chester, who thinks that if he can make the milk scarce he will get more money from his investments for it, but alas the people don't bother about the more expensive milk and forget how good it was in the first place.

bigbitty 13 July, 2019 11:16
There is a very good article in The Telegraph today, link here.

It is about cricket, but discusses why the ECB decision to get into bed with Sky has been a disaster for the future of the sport. Apparently the total lack of free to view television has meant that youngsters now have no knowledge of the players, and hence no ambition to play the game themselves.

Rugby, beware.

LI Bohemian 13 July, 2019 20:50
The trouble with sport is it gets in the way of making money.

tatthecraic2 14 July, 2019 11:49
Quote:
bigbitty
There is a very good article in The Telegraph today, link here.
It is about cricket, but discusses why the ECB decision to get into bed with Sky has been a disaster for the future of the sport. Apparently the total lack of free to view television has meant that youngsters now have no knowledge of the players, and hence no ambition to play the game themselves.

Rugby, beware.

Can see that happening to rugby. They don't care about the future of the sport just want to make money off of the fans in the here and now. No thought to the fact that a pay wall will lessen potential new and casual fans from watching rugby and reduce the fan base size and revenue in future... They will gut it for now and leave it in ruins.

Shropshire Hugh 15 July, 2019 18:26
I love cricket and listen to TMS religiously, but I wouldnt recognise Mark Wood or Jason Roy if they walked into my kitchen.

Living in the Ionian Isles so just lurking when wifi allows!

HMRH 16 July, 2019 07:24
I agree with the points about expanding the game but the Premier League football wise seem to have managed this?

I donít understand the aversion to paying to watch rugby although get it might be better if it was free to air but where will the money come from?

Amazon are now wading in to sport platforms so that could be a third option we have to consider. The fractured nature of the rugby world means you need Sky and BT to watch UK, France and Super rugby and another channel to watch Pro14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net