Latest news:

Interview with Kiss in TRP
Discussion started by Margin_Walker , 14 July, 2019 07:03
Interview with Kiss in TRP
Margin_Walker 14 July, 2019 07:03
There's a good interview with Kiss in The Rugby Paper today (cheers Neale), with a few interesting points.

He confirms that EQP payments are not a priority next season. Point being that the club needs to stabilise in the top division to arrest the departure of academy talent to allow us to comply from a position of strength in the future (up to four years)

Explained that contract start dates of some players have different start dates, with those likely to be involved in the RWC being in December. He specifically name-checks Phipps and Naholo as players where they will wait and see if they are named in the final RWC squads, and if not, attempt to arrange an earlier start (but the salary cap is a consideration)

Re: Interview with Kiss in TRP
HMRH 14 July, 2019 08:42
That headline confused me - I saw them on their tour in London on Thursday and couldn’t figure out why they would be in TRP

SirBurger 14 July, 2019 10:46
Crazy that we have salary cap concerns. That would also suggest we may have people moving on in December to make space for those coming in.

turniphead 14 July, 2019 17:25
Quote:
SirBurger
That would also suggest we may have people moving on in December to make space for those coming in.

Or does it just mean that the cost of paying them an additional 2/3 months take us over a very finely balanced cap?

Bazzo 14 July, 2019 18:19
Giving up EQP money is crazy to me. If that is on top of paying to the salary cap and marquee players, we must have more money than I thought. Surely buying some good English players would be better than so many foreign players. Are the Aussie players for instance, Coleman, Rona, Phipps, Kepu cheaper than an EQP player? Or just that we would not get the quality?

Margin_Walker 14 July, 2019 19:55
An English player of comparative stature would be unlikely to come our way as the promoted team.

Even Bristol with their millions didn't bring any high profile English players in last season when they came up. An out of favour (at Leicester) Thacker probably the biggest name.

Lazyboy346 14 July, 2019 20:04
We can't be the only ones having come up close to the salary cap (Gloucs cutting Purdy and Sale allowing O'Connor to leave for example), and the squad does need the influx of names to make is competitive. Current English internationals will be too expensive to get and EQ Prem-level players are probably comparable to the Aussies given their financial issues.

If the price of avoiding relegation is we go a season or two without getting EQP, I'm happy to pay that price. Some stability will help us bring in the former academy players into a successful team to increase the EQ quota rather than dropping them into a spiralling side that serves only to showcase targets for other clubs' recruitment.

Ruckingood 15 July, 2019 02:22
Quote:
Lazyboy346
If the price of avoiding relegation is we go a season or two without getting EQP, I'm happy to pay that price. Some stability will help us bring in the former academy players into a successful team to increase the EQ quota rather than dropping them into a spiralling side that serves only to showcase targets for other clubs' recruitment.

I do agree with the sentiment but some of the offers that have been made to the "OS Stars" from what I hear are ridiculous. With that, a number of our EQP current squad members are being underpaid due to the salary cap and there is a chance that some will have no choice but to offer themselves on the open market for next season which will be a crying shame. Whilst we do need to add some names to our squad to be competitive and maintain a Prem spot, to do this at the risk of loosing long standing LI players would be a detrimental in the long run IMHO

SirBurger 15 July, 2019 09:36
We have had to overpay though, as these guys won't join a newly promoted team for 'market' rate.

Which EQP guys are being underpaid? The academy lads are essential to keep and I would add a couple of others like Porecki, Hoskins, Stephenson, Hepetema and Meehan. However, after those guys the squad has a lot of 'filler' and I wouldn't be too upset if we had to cut some of the squad players and use academy lads instead, especially if relegation is done away with.

Ruckingood 16 July, 2019 12:05
Quote:
SirBurger
We have had to overpay though, as these guys won't join a newly promoted team for 'market' rate.
Which EQP guys are being underpaid? The academy lads are essential to keep and I would add a couple of others like Porecki, Hoskins, Stephenson, Hepetema and Meehan. However, after those guys the squad has a lot of 'filler' and I wouldn't be too upset if we had to cut some of the squad players and use academy lads instead, especially if relegation is done away with.

Agree with you SirB regarding having to overpay as a newly promoted team and I am not at liberty to say which players are struggling with pay issues but I know that offering an overseas player twice or in some cases three times what the current team was getting paid in a similar position is causing some angst among some of the lads and being offered small pay increases for further contract extensions and stating that this is the best they can offer due to salary cap restrictions is not smart in some cases. It tends to belittle the club loyalty and effort made by the squad to get back to the prem. Without doubt the squad need bolstering with some marquee players and those with international experience in the effort to avoid the drop again but some of the numbers that have been bandied around on paper and behind the scenes are crazy in relation to either the impact they may have or their known physical fragility. GBP800k for Coleman, GBP400k for Kepu, GBP450 for Rona and similar for Phipps... crazy numbers really.. however, if we stay up with their help.. God bless their cotton picking socks but they have half a season to make an impact whilst the old guard have half a season to keep us in the hunt...

PV 16 July, 2019 12:34
We're not going down as there is no relegation next year.

Kiss (in the article) pointed out that this wasn't long term (EQP position), but most people would agree that we needed a step change to be competitive in the league where there isn't the jeopardy of going down. By this I mean, we won't much of a fan base left with the move to Brentford if we are constantly languished at the bottom of a ring-fenced league.

Give it a couple of seasons and hopefully we'll see the fruits of a strong academy developing into well paid first team squad roles.

Not sure what the alternative was, stick with everyone on similar pay? Maintain squad that sent us down?

The players we have signed will make us competitive at best, there was growing gap between us and the rest of the Prem...

SirBurger 16 July, 2019 12:35
Thanks RG and wouldn't expect you to name names. I can see how the issues you highlight could cause disharmony among some players.

Ruckingood 16 July, 2019 12:40
Its a very difficult situation for the club finding a balance between new blood and current players but I am hopeful that a) we stay up and b) they find a way to keep the core together beyond this season..

Florida 16 July, 2019 14:02
This has been going on for years, I had the pleasure of chatting with Allison at the end of his last season with us he gave an open an honest appraisal; we want top players, but we don't pay for top players and so we don't get top players. This addresses that issue, yes we're over paying now, but we will reap the rewards of the investment further down the line.

Blarney 16 July, 2019 17:07
Some people seem very sure there is no relegation next year. Has this actually been confirmed anywhere?

Margin_Walker 16 July, 2019 18:25
Quote:
Blarney
Some people seem very sure there is no relegation next year. Has this actually been confirmed anywhere?

Nope.

Whilst it does seem a firm possibility, I'm personally filing under ' I'll believe it when I see it' for the moment.

Florida 16 July, 2019 19:11
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
Blarney

Nope.

Whilst it does seem a firm possibility, I'm personally filing under ' I'll believe it when I see it' for the moment.

I think I read somewhere that is due for discussion / approval in September

Margin_Walker 16 July, 2019 19:19
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
Blarney

Nope.

I think I read somewhere that is due for discussion / approval in September

Yep, plenty of discussion about it and more noise than there has been in the last few years. That said, until an agreement is reached and there's an announcement, I'm not counting any chickens.

Shawshank 16 July, 2019 21:26
PV seems v confident that there will be no relegation this season.

Is he our ‘Deep Throat’ at the RFU..? (Sm100)

Alphacat 16 July, 2019 21:44
The club's recruiting this season seems to suggest that we are not taking any chances on the no relegation this season front coming to fruition though.

PV 17 July, 2019 07:25
Quote:
Shawshank
PV seems v confident that there will be no relegation this season.
Is he our ‘Deep Throat’ at the RFU..? (Sm100)

I’ll neither confirm nor deny this...

Foggy-Balla 17 July, 2019 14:30
Another four year plan (Sm14)

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Lazyboy346 17 July, 2019 19:37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net