Latest news:

Sportnetwork Revamp
Discussion started by Faithful_City , 20 July, 2019 15:55
Sportnetwork Revamp
Faithful_City 20 July, 2019 15:55
Good afternoon folks.

I have been talking to main guy up at sportnetwork and he tells me the admins have been working with sportnetwork and there is going to be a revamp of the whole network not just the forums.

He believes that this will provide a new impetus for the whole network.

Remember SN provide complete websits for supporters not just a forum/message board.

JP

Re: Sportnetwork Revamp
Margin_Walker 20 July, 2019 17:11
Unless it gets rid of the article every two week thing and the too frequent dodgy redirects on mobile it will struggle.

Easer navigation between club forums would also help on mobile. At the moment it takes four or five clicks to switch between.

Faithful_City 20 July, 2019 17:15
Make sure your admin passes this onto SN

Shropshire Hugh 20 July, 2019 17:32
Now its 2019 can we post photos please?

Living in the Ionian Isles so just lurking when wifi allows!

Shropshire Hugh 20 July, 2019 17:32
Now its 2019 can we post photos please?

LI Bohemian 20 July, 2019 22:52
And can they stop replicating posts

Margin_Walker 20 July, 2019 23:34
Quote:
Faithful_City
Make sure your admin passes this onto SN

Tell them yourself, given you've obviously got the inside line.

I'm sure Griff would love not to have to manufacture constant box ticking articles under threat of shutting down the forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/07/2019 23:35 by Margin_Walker.

23Shark 21 July, 2019 12:53
It's not a requirement though as they've turned it off for Sale and Newcastle now we've left, they just want the ad revenue from the clicks and aren't remotely interested in the user experience until someone threatened their cash cow

Margin_Walker 21 July, 2019 13:56
Sure, user experience or safety clearly hasn't been much of a concern.

Good work on the new place btw. Much nicer experience, especially on mobile and always good to be able to post somewhere without a big red 'Not Secure' in the corner on Chrome.

23Shark 21 July, 2019 18:29
Thanks Margin, I just wanted to make somewhere that was much easier to use and where you know your data would be safe

Alphacat 21 July, 2019 18:45
My main concerns with this site:

1.) Lack of HTTPS - insecure

2.) Resetting password simply emails a new password to you, means that SN has an email containing your password. No evidence that current passwords are even stored encrypted and I would not be surprised if they were plaintext. The offy website was guilty of this I believe a few years ago.

3.) The giant adverts on mobile that make the screen tiny and have to be closed to make the site even usable.

4.) The fact that this website looks very dated and is unlikely going to attract newer supporters in a way something more modern looking could. Understandably yes, message boards are a relatively outdated concept but could look a lot better.

Functionality of this site is generally nice, I just feel it needs an overhaul to the UI to make it more contemporary, whilst keeping the underlying framework that people like to use in the first place. Right now it just feels like a cash cow as people have said.

Fursa 22 July, 2019 14:30
and we are still in the Championship section!!

exile_pete 22 July, 2019 18:01
Move the fecking Log Out button on the mobile site so it's no way near anything else for navigation... I'm fed up of pressing Next Thread then having to log back in afterwards because my fat fingers tapped the button directly beneath/above!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/07/2019 18:02 by exile_pete.

Jon Steer 25 July, 2019 15:50
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

No, passwords are not stored in plain text which is why there is a password reset process rather than sending out a reminder. Nor do we store the emails that go to you with your new password, and yes, we would expect that you change the password after getting sent a new one...

The next update is for the desktop site, but I will take a look at the mobile issues raised in this thread as well.

You can see the new site here:

[v7.rugbynetwork.net]

Probably going to launch it for everyone tomorrow...

Cheers

Jon

--
Jon Steer
Technical Director
sportnetwork.net

TeflonTed 25 July, 2019 22:12
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Unless it gets rid of the article every two week thing and the too frequent dodgy redirects on mobile it will struggle.
Easer navigation between club forums would also help on mobile. At the moment it takes four or five clicks to switch between.
Wuss in peace.

If you havenít had a look at VFT22 yet, it makes it easy to click straight through to other premiership sites, including the external ones, Quins and Shedweb. If youíre already registered on those, and have clicked their ďkeep me logged inĒ buttons, you donít even need to login.

I find that a big advantage, and one that SN has never offered.

Paul_D 26 July, 2019 09:02
I'm very impressed with vft22. It look clean, modern and slick. It's easy to navigate and best of all, it's secure!

It's early days but I can't help thinking that slowly but surely it will become the default message board for rugby supporters and this place will fade away.

I'm afraid that the "update" of this board just looks exactly the same but with a new font. Not exactly ground breaking is it? confused smiley

Margin_Walker 26 July, 2019 11:01
Quote:
TeflonTed
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Wuss in peace.

If you havenít had a look at VFT22 yet, it makes it easy to click straight through to other premiership sites, including the external ones, Quins and Shedweb. If youíre already registered on those, and have clicked their ďkeep me logged inĒ buttons, you donít even need to login.

I find that a big advantage, and one that SN has never offered.

I've been using it. I guess it will sink or swim on the uptake, but it certainly seems a more attractive proposition at the moment.

Xprop 26 July, 2019 14:01
It's no longer showing which posts are new. Makes it pretty unusable.

Griff 26 July, 2019 14:05
I think it does Xprop, it shows the thread as bold, but it is less obvious.

It's funny I was having a look at vft22 and thinking it was difficult to follow the threads because the message boundaries aren't very obvious and then SN switch us over and I'm having the same problem here...

Suspect it's just me. Like a cuprolaminophobic, I fear change...

Margin_Walker 26 July, 2019 14:06
Well whatever they have done seems to have broken it on mobile, unless my phone is playing up.

Pretty much unreadable

Xprop 26 July, 2019 14:09
You're right. Thanks for that.

Griff 26 July, 2019 14:21
We're back in the Premiership folks...

23Shark 26 July, 2019 14:39
Quote:
Griff
I think it does Xprop, it shows the thread as bold, but it is less obvious.
It's funny I was having a look at vft22 and thinking it was difficult to follow the threads because the message boundaries aren't very obvious and then SN switch us over and I'm having the same problem here...

Suspect it's just me. Like a cuprolaminophobic, I fear change...

Hi Griff,

Which bit of the message boundaries aren't clear, was just wondering so I could do some tinkering to make it better

RodB 26 July, 2019 14:46
What have you done to the mobile format? Hate it!

Exile_Dave 26 July, 2019 15:24
Looks Awful on the mobile. Terrible idea.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

RodB 26 July, 2019 16:36
Back to normal now.... definitely not optimised for mobile format in its new guise.

b.q.f.m 26 July, 2019 16:37
Looks exactly the same to me

RodB 26 July, 2019 16:56
You had to be there.... it was a very different jumbled user unfriendly layout for a hour or so before reverting to normal.

annie@li 26 July, 2019 22:59
Cannot see any great improvement. In fact, it is more difficult to spot new posts. Plus we still have the adverts that put themselves all round the threads and take up lots of screen space. I understand adverts are important but they are such a pain.

Paul_D 27 July, 2019 09:56
It looks to me like theyíve taken something that was bad and made it worse!

wattshisname 27 July, 2019 10:04
How do I know which posts I've read? Memory is not like it used to be.

Florida 27 July, 2019 10:09
Quote:
wattshisname
How do I know which posts I've read? Memory is not like it used to be.

Threads with new posts are in bold aren't they?

wattshisname 27 July, 2019 10:51
The old forum told me which posts I have / haven't read. This one simply tells me which thread has posts I haven't read. I then have to look through all posts in that thread until I come across a post that I don't recognise.

Florida 27 July, 2019 10:53
Quote:
wattshisname
The old forum told me which posts I have / haven't read. This one simply tells me which thread has posts I haven't read. I then have to look through all posts in that thread until I come across a post that I don't recognise.

Oh I see. Didn't realise the previous version did that

CharlieG 27 July, 2019 11:37
Quote:
wattshisname

Agreed. I find this really annoying.

Currently, you can open a thread at the first post, or at the last post, but what would be REALLY useful would be to be be able to open a thread at the oldest post that I haven't read.

b.q.f.m 27 July, 2019 11:49
It still looks exactly the same to me. I still get the little red NEW next to new posts so don't understand why people are saying they can't spot new posts and my phone is still warning that the site is not secure. Am I missing something?

Xprop 27 July, 2019 11:56
Quote:
b.q.f.m
It still looks exactly the same to me. I still get the little red NEW next to new posts so don't understand why people are saying they can't spot new posts and my phone is still warning that the site is not secure. Am I missing something?

It looks completely different using a browser on a PC.

cjm. 27 July, 2019 13:12
It's harder to read so I think I won't bother.

TeflonTed 27 July, 2019 21:59
Wuss in peace.

Your traffic on VFT22 is increasing, as is ours. We have a poll running to decide on a formal move across, which would avoid the dilution of content across 2 sites.

Do any of you have concerns about a drift across 2 sites rather than a positive move?

wattshisname 27 July, 2019 22:04
Quote:
b.q.f.m

Debbie,
You know I wouldn't lie to you (Sm13). Hope you are well.
One of the 3 wise men.

Paul_D 27 July, 2019 23:09
Quote:
TeflonTed
Wuss in peace.
Your traffic on VFT22 is increasing, as is ours. We have a poll running to decide on a formal move across, which would avoid the dilution of content across 2 sites.

Do any of you have concerns about a drift across 2 sites rather than a positive move?

Personally I think vft22 is so much better than SN that I hope we all migrate across there, the sooner the better. The failed update to this site thatís actually made it even worse should be the final nail in the coffin imo.

TeflonTed 27 July, 2019 23:59
Quote:
Paul_D
Quote:
TeflonTed
Wuss in peace.

Personally I think vft22 is so much better than SN that I hope we all migrate across there, the sooner the better. The failed update to this site thatís actually made it even worse should be the final nail in the coffin imo.

Why donít you ask your moderator to set up a poll?

It seems pretty consistent comment that nobody wants their board traffic split across 2 sites, but it needs a clear mandate for moderators to consider ceasing to maintain SN.

Alphacat 28 July, 2019 12:26
I don't see any harm in a poll, but I don't think there needs to be a rush to find a consensus. We are still midway through the off-season.

Florida 28 July, 2019 18:58
Finally fired up the laptop and decided to have a look at this new format. I don't know what it looked like previously but this is atrocious.

Font is too large, too much white space (especially on the right hand side), the Sportnetwork bars at the top and bottom of the page are too big.

waltham 29 July, 2019 14:42
Am I missing something? - I can see that one the Message/Thread list new additions are denoted by bold...BUT I didn't see any indications on each/any of the individual messages that I hadn't already seen...So not easy to scroll quickly down to pick up all of the latest pieces of wisdom.

Margin_Walker 29 July, 2019 15:12
Quote:
waltham
Am I missing something? - I can see that one the Message/Thread list new additions are denoted by bold...BUT I didn't see any indications on each/any of the individual messages that I hadn't already seen...So not easy to scroll quickly down to pick up all of the latest pieces of wisdom.

You're not missing anything. It's not there anymore on desktop.

Jon Steer 30 July, 2019 17:25
'new' flag should be back now - and as a bonus clicking the 'new' link next to the thread will now jump you to your last unread post of that thread...

Jon

--
Jon Steer
Technical Director
sportnetwork.net

LI Bohemian 30 July, 2019 18:15
Just been on the 22, seems a bit slow and clunky but the chat seems good, I did take a look at the quins independent MB and that feels like the general camping area at a music festival.

23Shark 31 July, 2019 08:01
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Just been on the 22, seems a bit slow and clunky but the chat seems good, I did take a look at the quins independent MB and that feels like the general camping area at a music festival.

Which bits seemed slow so I can take a look at it?

From the tests I've run VFT22 is twice as quick as SN as we cache information more effectively

GHA 31 July, 2019 14:08
It would be nice if ads no longer took up over 50% of screen space

waltham 31 July, 2019 14:43
Quote:
Jon Steer
'new' flag should be back now - and as a bonus clicking the 'new' link next to the thread will now jump you to your last unread post of that thread...
Jon

Hurrah! - Thanks Jon thumbs down

nobby.uk 01 August, 2019 13:49
so even after the revamp, there is still no https.
This site is still unsecure.

Jon Steer 01 August, 2019 15:06
https upgrade hit a couple of snags but will be coming within the next couple of weeks. Not that the site suddenly becomes 'insecure' just that your traffic between you and the site is not encrypted...

Jon

--
Jon Steer
Technical Director
sportnetwork.net

GHA 01 August, 2019 16:25
Still no comment on the number and size of ads, Jon?

waltham 04 August, 2019 11:36
I rather like the new font (Sm128)

bigbitty 04 August, 2019 15:54
Now I'm used to it, I quite like it too.

LI Bohemian 06 August, 2019 09:33
I'm waiting for the pro-SNexit posts as a response to some positive feedback for the revamp.
(Like a good tussle)

Alphacat 07 August, 2019 00:20
It exists, it's just on the other forum.

LI Bohemian 07 August, 2019 09:54
When a tree falls in the forest.....

Shropshire Hugh 07 August, 2019 13:39
What and where is VFT22? Nothing comes up on Google!

Finno 07 August, 2019 13:59
Hugh,
Catch...

[forum.viewfromthe22.com]

Shropshire Hugh 09 August, 2019 15:43
Quote:
Finno
Hugh,
Catch...

[forum.viewfromthe22.com]

Thanks Finno. Looks quite old school, but maybe it won't shut down just because someone hasn't concocted 30 lines of drivel to keep it open. And run by rugby folk which can't be a bad thing!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net