rugbyunion
Latest News:

Getting Shirty
Griff (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 11:22
No-one has mentioned the St Patrick's Party 2008 shirt yet...

http://www.londonirishshop.com/images/product/large/196_1_.jpg

I have to say I quite like it, the only slightly iffy thing is the "distressed" LI badge, looks a bit of an after-thought. But, for me, a lot better than the last couple of years' ugly shirts - it seemed to be selling well.

Re: Getting Shirty
MickeyMouse (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 11:23
From the picture in the program, you can't see the number on the back as it's in black!

Still, beats last years readioactive edition

HK Phooey (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 12:44
40 is a bit steep though, especially after buying this years shirt and then the sponsor goes out of business.

Christine (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 12:49
Most of the comments I heard yesterday were that as a polo shirt it looks OK but rubbish as a rugby shirt and certainly not worth 40.

18 February, 2008 12:50
I like it. I may buy it after St Patricks for 20.

AlecW (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 12:54
"jersey is a lighter weight than a traditional rugby jersey" - yeah - somewhere between T-shirt and polo shirt, I guess. At 40.

I'm with PANS...

Trouble_gb (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 12:55
I agree that 40 is a bit steep.
They look more like polo shirts than rugby shirts.

JamesC (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 12:58
presumably 36 for STHs

waltham (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 13:00
Correct James --- I love it and therefore parted wiv me cash yesterday. Expensive? - Yes.... But does seem decent quality.

AlecW (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 13:04
Serve everyone right if it is fecking freezing and blowing sleet with a gale behind it as it usually is in mid March!

(Sm68)

jerrym (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 13:15
Liked it so bought one. Good design and way better than previous years.

Not as tough as a rugby shirt but I didn't buy it to wear whilst playing rugby and I'm not going to wear it to play polo either.

waltham (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 13:47
Oh ye of little faith Alec - It'll be 35 degrees C in the shade all day - our lads will win with 5 points, Wasps will fail to get a bonus point and the sun won't set till midnight..Oh yes - and the AG will be ice-cold n served by mermaids..(Sm23)

AlecW (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 13:48
I'll have what Waltham's on!

AMS (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 13:51
Sheesh, waltham, 35 degrees is a bit warm for a decent rugby match. I'd settle for 25 degrees and no breeze! Don't have to faff 'round with sunblock that way...

As for the mermaids, so long as there's equal opportunity employment and the mermen are serving Magners and AG for the girls, I wouldn't argue the point.

Jester (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 13:52
40!!!!!!!!!!!!! Blimey, a bit toppy for a polo shirt!

Cormac (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 13:54
It's a lot thicker and better quality than a polo shirt. Maybe not quite rugby shirt toughness, but not too far off. I also think it looks better in the flesh than in the promo photos.

Very pleased with mine, but have no intention of wearing it to the game in the arctic wind...

bisach (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 14:16
I like the shirt, as a polo shirt, but don't like the "frayed edge" design of the badge and number on the back. Therefore didn't buy it.

SteveS (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 15:53
Unremarkable.

I think for future St Pats game, they should revive classic LI shirts from yesteryear. But then again I'm a bit of an old fart these days.

annie@li (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 16:10
You mean the frayed badge was deliberate and not just shoddy production? I agree with Bill. Didn't like the badge or the number and thought the material was a bit thin.

Trouble_gb (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 16:47
It's such a shame as if they made a good shirt that was reasonably priced they would sell out !

I think the marketing department needs to go back to the drawing board with the St Pats shirt and maybe do the sensible thing and get a few opinions of designs and materials and prices before it goes public.

Reading_Fatboy (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 16:59
Nah! Disagree.

The St pats shirt is a monster cash cow. it is an absolute given that they will sell 5K of the things no matter how ugly they are.

So it just becomes an excercise in getting the minimum acceptable shirt for as cheap as they can.

If they can make 30 a pop GP on 5K shirts, that is 150K which is one top players wages.

Good luck to 'em

I'll get one if they are doing extra wide this year

baldstumpy (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 17:04
Not impressed, whats with the black stitching through the badge? and the funny bit at the bottom with the holes init

Jester (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 17:12
I presume that's where you put your head baldstumpy! smiling smiley

Cormac (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 17:15
That's what's known as fashion, baldstumpy. (Sm76)

PaulT (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 17:56
I agree with Trouble_gb. They should come up with a few designs, ask opinion of supporters club, sell for a more reasonable price and also make sure the players wear the same shirt for the actual game.
I do like this new shirt but I'm not forking out 40.
Tagi does look a seriously cool dude with it on!! I guess they didn't ask Faan to model it!

b.q.f.m (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 18:00
Not impressed,think it is quite boring.
I loved the"UGLY" shirts and definately think they should go for emerald green for Paddys day.
I'm going to save my money and try to get hold of one of those "not good enough" ones from last year!!!!!!!

Seamus! (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 19:17
Me too - I'm a big fan of 'uglies'. Let us know what the "not good enough one" is like (Sm125)

Cheers!

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 20:42
Quote:
SteveS
Unremarkable.
I think for future St Pats game, they should revive classic LI shirts from yesteryear. But then again I'm a bit of an old fart these days.

By God. I'm actually agreeing with something SteveS says!

Nurse, the screens (Sm151)

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Loobs (IP Logged)
19 February, 2008 06:02
Ah, the polyester lightning strike shirt would be a roaring success methinks! (Sm133)

GMC_LI (IP Logged)
19 February, 2008 06:12
Now, Loobs. Surely the 2002 Craic World Tour shirts "avec stains" would be better ?

I'm sure that you recall that trip, what with the legendary Paddy G 100 Euro round = 40+ pints of Arthur's finest porter.

There was a "fashion parade " at Greystones by some of us. Is that picture from the old LISC site still available ?

CooperMan (IP Logged)
19 February, 2008 07:00
Quote:
Christine
Most of the comments I heard yesterday were that as a polo shirt it looks OK but rubbish as a rugby shirt and certainly not worth 40.

Do polo clubs sell rugby shirts?

Coops
WTF

OLD GREEN EYES (IP Logged)
19 February, 2008 08:07
Nice of Lenny Kravitz to model it!

mrh (IP Logged)
20 February, 2008 14:38
just being to megastore sold out of the 4xl shirts and not a lot others left either

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net