rugbyunion
Latest News:

Madejski Stadium Expansion
harristocratt (IP Logged)
19 February, 2008 11:19
Not now taking place for at least a year despite Mr Madejski being confident that Reading will avoid relegation.

Re: Madejski Stadium Expansion
Stevie J (IP Logged)
19 February, 2008 11:27
Quote:
Reading FC
The Club will not expand Madejski Stadium's capacity until next year at the earliest.
We have planning permission in place to increase the capacity to around 30,000, but work will not begin before the summer of 2009.

Chief Executive Nigel Howe told readingfc.co.uk, "Work will not start until the summer of 2009 at the earliest, whatever division we are in.

"From day one, we've said there's no point expanding if we don't maintain our place in the Premier League.

Given Reading's form and inability to sell out a 25,000 seat stadium for anything other than the big four, this is most prudent.

"Well done, is better than well said."
Benjamin Franklin, 1706 - 1790

waltham (IP Logged)
19 February, 2008 11:33
I'm happy with that...

swindonirish (IP Logged)
20 February, 2008 08:39

"Work will not start until the summer of 2009 at the earliest, whatever division we are in.

"From day one, we've said there's no point expanding if we don't maintain our place in the Premier League.

Eh!(Sm26)

jerrym (IP Logged)
20 February, 2008 08:48
Don't think this was the party line at the start of the season, but the recent rapid descent into the relegation zone may have swayed their decision to postpone things.

balpw2. (IP Logged)
20 February, 2008 08:52
Yesssss, geddin.

Royals, going down
Royals, Royals going down

Whoohooooo

Lets hope they keep going and end up in league 2

AlecW (IP Logged)
20 February, 2008 09:30
balpw2. - is that REALLY what you mean?

It smacks of the kind of stuff that most people deplore in football supporters, let alone rugby supporters, let alone LI supporters...

Not pleasant, not funny, not necessary, not the LI way (and not exactly calculated to endear us to our landlords either).

IMHO of course.

(Sm102)

balpw2. (IP Logged)
20 February, 2008 09:42
Yep. Most definitely.

If the Royals crash a number of things could happen:

1. they don't expand the stadium so we avoid our team having to play in front of even more rows of empty blue seats and our meagre chants of encouragement getting lost in the echoes of an empty stadium

2. our attendances outstrip those of the Royals and so the numpties that staff the stadium start treating us Rugby fans with respect rather than something you'd find on the bottom of your shoe. By respect I mean similar to that found at rugby only grounds (FG, Stoop, WR, CG, KP....)

3. Reading public tire of watching a kak football team and decide to support a winning rugby team - our attendances go up.

4. Reading FC and the Madejski Stadium get strapped for cash, go into Administration and LI pick up the stadium for a song and we become the landlords, change the seats from blue to green swap RFC badges around the stadium with LI ones and vice-versa. (long shot dream I know)

So yes..I really mean it. (and if Charlton can go up in their place all the better)

JamesC (IP Logged)
20 February, 2008 09:54
One practical point about having plenty of space is that is does provide downward pressure on ticket prices (exact opposite on the constrained capacity at the frozen wasteland in High Wycombe).

Two sides to every coin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2008 09:54 by JamesC.

balpw2. (IP Logged)
20 February, 2008 10:09
James

I know you are in the throes of delight about the potential sell-out at the St Pats party, but don't forget that for all but one or two games a season the stadium is more than half empty now. What has happened to prices over the past three years? Up or down?

BTW Lowest price ticket to see Wasps at Adams Park is the same as the lowest price ticket at the Madejski. Lowest price ticket at Quins is less than LI's. Lowest price ticket for on-line purchase at Sarries is a cracking £15, £5 less than ours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2008 10:14 by balpw2..

JamesC (IP Logged)
20 February, 2008 10:28
the key to this, for a lot of people anyway, will be the location of concession seats which are still well placed at the Madstad. Won't last for ever of course but enjoy it whilst one can.

I think if one did a comparison of the best priced seats on the half way line at all four London clubs there would be a marked difference. How one handles any change is critical to keeping the supporter base on board. We need an apples and apples comparison to look at the numbers properly.

Prices will always go up - that is a fact of life unfortunately - but hopefully some or most of this increase will go into providing a more and more competitive squad.

Bath is a good example of what happens when there is limited capacity (10,600 I think). Ultimately one has to have some decent capacity to prosper in the long run. I shudder to think what Wasps might have achieved commercially if they had been based at the Madstad rather than HW.

Iron Lung (IP Logged)
20 February, 2008 12:07
Never mind the MadStad expansion plans, the Tigs are going increase the Welford Road capacity to 30000. eye popping smiley

As the rich get richer...

Patrickr (IP Logged)
20 February, 2008 12:15
Wonder what's going to happen with the Green Park railway station.

Earley Boy (IP Logged)
20 February, 2008 12:38
Supposed to open in December 2008. Not only for MadStad but Green Park and Green Park Village.

Griff (IP Logged)
20 February, 2008 13:01
Just looked into the Grren Park station stuff as I'd not seen anything about it for a while. It has finally got the green light with West Berks giving it planning permission. The "first new station in the south of England in 50 years" will now be built - aiming for opening in December (this year, as EB says). It's also the first privately funded station (as it's being paid for by PruPim - the property arm of the Prudential) to be built in Britain (which gives you some hope that it might actually appear).

I was trying to see where it is actually aimed for - initially I thought it was supposed to be near J11 but it isn't. It's, fairly obviously, next to the existing Basingstoke line on the far side of the MadStad to B&Q - about a mile away by my reckoning which will put some off but will be a massive improvement from the walk from Reading main station. I'd post some links but you really have to dig into corporate b*ll*cks at the moment - perhaps there'll be a website once construction actually starts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net