Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from GoogleQuins Official SiteDiamond Geezers Website

Coach Travel Details | Join Quinssa!
Next Coach: Next season
Tickets: Quins

www CAW

Wales Salary Cap
DOK (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 09:04
I didn't know Wales announced a salary cap of £3.5 for next season. That's going to cut back their spending on expensive imports.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Re: Wales Salary Cap
ianco (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 09:21
And expensive Welsh players.

DOK (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 09:37
yes, it's interesting Ireland don't have a salary cap as such. However, they have the rule of only allowing one foreign player in each position 1-15 over all the Irish provinces (So if Munster have a foreign No 15, all the other provinces must have Irish qualified players there).

This is going to make the Heineken Cup next season played on a bit more of a level playing field.

Interesting that Ireland contribute €5 million pa to the TV pot of money, but receive €16 million each year back as it is equally divided up. Effectively France and England financially support rugby in Ireland, Wales and Scotland!

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 09:45
Quote:
Interesting that Ireland contribute €5 million pa to the TV pot of money, but receive €16 million each year back as it is equally divided up. Effectively France and England financially support rugby in Ireland, Wales and Scotland!

DOK, that's poor. All the TV contracts are for the competition as a whole and reflect the potential audience. It's not possible to quantify the effect of having Ireland in the 6 Nations or Irish provinces in the HC but their presence definitely contributes to the value of all the TV contracts.

BB

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 10:03
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:

DOK, that's poor. All the TV contracts are for the competition as a whole and reflect the potential audience. It's not possible to quantify the effect of having Ireland in the 6 Nations or Irish provinces in the HC but their presence definitely contributes to the value of all the TV contracts.

So DOK's post was poor because he's made the error of paying attention to facts?

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 10:07
Quote:
So DOK's post was poor because he's made the error of paying attention to facts?

No it was poor for the reason I gave. You might not agree with my point but I thought I made it fairly clearly. Obviously not.

BB

DOK (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 10:57
No, not clearly. I had to read it a couple of times to really understand it. But it's OK, I've got it now.

I disagree that it's not possible to quantify contribution. I gave you one method. It's crude I'll admit but it is a quantification.

In any case, for the reasons I've given, Ireland are producing "subsidised" teams into both competitions, so their contribution is going to look better because we're paying for it. If they didn't get our money, they wouldn't produce those teams, therefore their contribution would be less, therefore worth less money.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 11:07
Quote:
I had to read it a couple of times to really understand it. But it's OK, I've got it now.

Fair enough, sorry about that!

I'm not sure where you're going with your last paragraph, though. Are you really suggesting that Ireland have a better national team because the English TV contract is worth more money than the Irish one?

Actually, it would be handy if you could supply a link to those figures. Are they for HC or 6N?

BB

DOK (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 11:16
Blimey! Asking me to go back over my internet tracks covers the boxing incident, Richard Dawkins ancestor was a slave owner and solving post traumatic stress from Iraq! But I found them...

[www.irishrugby.ie]

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 11:33
Quote:
DOK
Blimey! Asking me to go back over my internet tracks covers the boxing incident, Richard Dawkins ancestor was a slave owner and solving post traumatic stress from Iraq! But I found them...
[www.irishrugby.ie]

Thanks, DOK! smiling smiley

BB

Aladquin (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 12:31
Well, we're (as in UK Tax payers)are already Subsidising the Irish Government why not their rugby!

Seems fair..............................

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net